TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default nostalgia

Fi? Si? Ni?

what functions do you think you use when you get nostalgic?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me too, for the most part

and I tend to be a very nostalgic person
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ENFj dad is huge into nostalgia. He hangs onto old stuff like nobody's business.

I do like it too, but not like my dad.

I wonder if both Fi and Ni can get hooked into the nostalgia thing, but in different ways. Like for me, nostalgia is about trying to relive the feelings I had at that point. But maybe it's different for my dad.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ewww don't confuse sentiment for nostalgia

I'm not sentimental, but I am nostaglic. Peter asks me why I bring up stuff from the past, like, "Do you remember that one time before we were together that you said blahblahblahetc?"

I think for me it's how I find my way to Fi.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nostalgia is sentimental

nostalgia
    One entry found for nostalgia.
    Main Entry: nos·tal·gia
    Pronunciation: nä-'stal-j&, n&- also no-, nO-; n&-'stäl-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: New Latin, from Greek nostos return home + New Latin -algia; akin to Greek neisthai to return, Old English genesan to survive, Sanskrit nasate he approaches
    1 : the state of being homesick : HOMESICKNESS
    2 : a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition; also : something that evokes nostalgia
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

i hate it

i feel it all the time

smells, music, places

JLKFJAKLSGJFO;TJ1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MAKE IT STOP

Creepy-pokeball

I have a bad habit of getting people into nostaligic conversations. I dont do it on purpose. My ENFp friend can, too, but not as frequently. She also recalls instances much more vividly than I do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss Jadae's zombie (sigh)
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is nostalgia connected to Ni?

I could see easily see an arguement either way

kelly, I'm the same way, but it's not always a bad thing. it's a bad thing if I'm in recovery from being badly hurt. otherwise it's a neutral or happy thing, except for the occasional times when I recall horrible things and come to some new form of understanding about it... I call that growth...
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth.
    SEE

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    I miss Jadae's zombie (sigh)
    Aw, I'll make a new pic in the future. I still need to find a Zombie Xmas card for the person I made this pic for. I did cameraphone him a pic of post-dental-surgery blood to prove that I wasnt a zombie, tho lol.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    is nostalgia connected to Ni?

I could see easily see an arguement either way

kelly, I'm the same way, but it's not always a bad thing. it's a bad thing if I'm in recovery from being badly hurt. otherwise it's a neutral or happy thing, except for the occasional times when I recall horrible things and come to some new form of understanding about it... I call that growth...

If its a happy memory, but I can't ... duplicate it again, it makes me sad. So even happy nostalgic moments are unpleasant for me.

I have a bad habit of getting people into nostaligic conversations. I dont do it on purpose. My ENFp friend can, too, but not as frequently. She also recalls instances much more vividly than I do.

I think I used to do this to Peter and it made him really uncomfortable. Well I probably still do. =/

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JOY STOP MAKING TOPICS EVERY TIME I DO SOMETHING

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nostalgia seems more of a Fi thing, to me. Ni, to some extent, but it's a more vague sort of nostalgia.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
    JOY STOP MAKING TOPICS EVERY TIME I DO SOMETHING
    This topic is about socionics, about me, and about the people who post here. What you said merely got me thinking about how I've always been quite nostalgic.
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some streets and a coastal road often appear in my dream, where I think I know originally they are. Perhaps this is caused by and/or things.

I guess functions matter how nostalgia emerges and appears to others.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a very nostalgic person. I rarely voluntarily visit my past. I prefer to think about the future, because I'd rather keep in mind that everything gets better and better. True so far. I tend to be pessimistic about the past (thinking more about the bad things), but fairly optimistic about the future.

Of course, I sometimes remind myself and a few people of fun stuff in the past - "it's like the time we went camping and it rained all night...". That's not type-related.

Mhh... I'm not nostalgic, but I am sentimental. I like the songs that relate to certain moods, I like old places that have the "feeling" (churches, ruins), things with the "feeling" (antiquities, cute things I put in my "treasure box" when I was 10). I don't know if it's .
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) It can affect any type. So if b) It is function related, it would be interesting to know in what ways the function's position influences the outcome. The (relative) position of other functions would probably also influence nostalgia too (I mean more than the obvious focus on the function's "area of consciousness").

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me I feel like it's my Ni supplementing me with Fi when I want it
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have time for nostalgia...
    the only notalgia I got is of pain
    that (which) I give to the fools who don't know what time it is!

Oh, sorry. I thought I was in Terry Tate's world for a second there.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by soggy-flakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Fi? Si? Ni?

what functions do you think you use when you get nostalgic?

Fi and Si mostly.
    Ditto ( I think ) Its hard for me to remember the order of things that have happened sometimes. I have to relate my past experiences with people and my feelings about them or something that struck me in some way, otherwise its all a blur of images and scenes. I also am afraid I can embelish my memories with imagination that makes it difficult to stay factual. For example we have gone camping at this one spot three years in a row. Now when I try to remember a specif time my mind will gather experiences from the other times and blend them in so it all becomes one big camping misch mash. I have to really concentrate to separate what happened. Usually I just ask my brother who has a much better sequential memory. :wink:

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It always seemed like an Si thing to me though can see how it could be Fi as well

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about LII being most nostalgic or EIE being least based on my own experiences, though the EIE is quite older so that could have something to do with it. LII could have just been hiding it/not talked about it Agree on moderate for IEE