Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Describe Ni in your own words

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Also socionics theorists are psychologists and sociologists. Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior, sociology is the study of society, its patterns of social relations, interactions, culture etc.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    @ashlesha, most Ni-descriptions on the internet sound like esoteric rubbish. And what I'm reading here doesn't help either. When descriptions involve words like dynamic, internal, process, patterns, abstract ... they sound like they mean something but they don't. It's: blabla I don't know either, let me use some pretty words.

Ni-ego types...

* what can you and your Ni do that other types cannot?
    * what can you not do? What limitations does Ni pose that other types have not?
    All those words will be found frequently in socionics theory. Not just in relation to Ni either. In order to understand them in context you have to just read the theory and the descriptions of what those mean in socionics-speak.

As to your questions:

1. Nothing to brag about really. In this thread we are talking about a function in isolation after all. Not special talents, skills or knowledge a person has learned, cultivated, or was born with. I can't sing at all but other Ni egos can. As I have mentioned I can fix my own computer but some Te and Ti egos can't and they get so frustrated trying.

I am sure that thinkers can also be at a loss for words when explaining how they think. How does a sensor sense in their own words that makes it sound any different from any other human being? How do you explain it to someone who doesn't see the world the same and already has a bias or skepticism? It is others who make Ni out to be magical or mystical. Interest in magic or the mystical can be found in any type. That is why there are so many religions and billions of believers.

It is clear that human brains are infinitely more complex than a computer or any theory out there that tries to describe how the mind operates. Look into Piaget's theory for some ideas. Most children should be capable of basic intuition and abstract thinking past a certain age unless they have learning disabilities. Abstract thinking doesn't really develop until age 12+ according to his theory, before that children are more concrete thinkers, even though intuition and the ability to think symbolically starts to develop between the ages of 2-7, I believe.

I only had a few minutes to check forum so I didn't check the facts but it is a well known theory. Before age 2 it is all about the senses. There are many other theories on cognition as well. It could be that even though most intelligent human are capable of processing information using any of the functions they still develop a preference for one over the others. Some theories say that cognition is not set until 25-30 too.

2. Throw a ball straight. I really suck at that. I can hit a target with a bow and arrow though so that's something.

[Carl Jung on: “Abstraction.”]

A form of mental activity by which a conscious content is freed from its association with irrelevant elements, similar to the process of differentiation. (Compare empathy.)

Abstraction is an activity pertaining to the psychological functions in general.

There is an abstract thinking, just as there is abstract feeling, sensation, and intuition.

Abstract thinking singles out the rational, logical qualities of a given content from its intellectually irrelevant components.

Abstract feeling does the same with a content characterized by its feeling-values . . . . Abstract sensation would be aesthetic as opposed to sensuous sensation, and abstract intuition would be symbolic as opposed to fantastic intuition.[“Definitions,” CW 6, par. 678.]

Jung related abstraction to introversion (analogous to empathy and extraversion).

I visualize the process of abstraction as a withdrawal of libido from the object, as a backflow of value from the object into a subjective, abstract content.

For me, therefore, abstraction amounts to an energic devaluation of the object. In other words, abstraction is an introverting movement of libido.[Ibid., par. 679.]

To the extent that its purpose is to break the object’s hold on the subject, abstraction is an attempt to rise above the primitive state of participation mystique.

http://www.nyaap.org/jung-lexicon/a/
    Just wanted to comment on this since someone reminded me that I was going to earlier.

*Keep in mind Singu wants to be AI when he grows up. He is talking about thinking when intuition, introverted or extroverted, is not thinking.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the very principle of the computer or the smartphone that you're using depends on the fact that whatever that can possibly be physically computed, can be computed by a computer.

This means that say, whatever task a mathematician can possibly come up with, he can potentially program it onto a computer and do the exact same task that he does with no difference.

This means that there's not ever going to be a "brick wall" that you're going hit when you realize, "Well, this can't be programmed onto a computer". That has never happened.

This means that if there really is such a thing as "Ni", or whatever other "functions", then it can potentially be programmed onto a computer. And if we can program it, then why wouldn't we be able to understand and think about it? Just as we're able to think about whatever things that we've never personally experienced, and potentially never will, such as the fourth and higher dimensions.

And if you think that this is all just nonsense, then keep in mind that we're physical objects that are performing physical calculations in the brain, via the very physical neurons.

Anyway, I don't doubt that people have "intuitions" where they don't personally know how it works or "can't explain it". But it just means that they can't, yet, and haven't put into words or ideas. But there's no fundamental limitation to what people can think about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12