Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe Ni in your own words

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Describe Ni in your own words

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN GONE OVER A MILLION TIMES, AND I APOLOGIZE IF THAT BOTHERS YOU. HOW MUCH CAN BE SAID ABOUT SOCIONICS ANYWAY, SHOULD I MAKE UP A NEW SUBTYPE SYSTEM? BAH

Just curious what will be said by the forum as it stands in the current climate. I also find it to be an interesting topic.

I request that you go forth. An objective and detached description, a life story, whatever.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ni is a projection into the future of patterns of your past and present experiences, with the various scenarios evaluated from the standpoint of some internal objective.

"What can I do with this?"

"Where is this going?"

For comparison, Ne is exactly the same thing, except the evaluation is not biased in favor of a single, desired, or most probable outcome. So Ni converges on one projection or use, and Ne never concludes in projecting outcomes or uses.

Ne is pretty impartial, while Ni is more biased. This is why ILE's are endlessly inventive and LII's are endlessly investigative, while ILI's are planning for their own best future, and LIE's are planning for the group's best future.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 10-23-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Event 1 -> Event 2
    Event 3 -> Event 4

1->2. You are in 3->4 Extract the trajectories from the first and compare similarities and you have a prognosis.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insisting others accept your self-serving "truths" without evidence, then acting smug when they're dismissed without evidence instead of trying to actually argue them, because that would require thinking in natural language and that's too pleb for you.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

This is always so weird to respond to when asked unless it is someone much like me, then it is easy. I feel like I should keep it to myself but since it is you I will attempt an answer, in my own words.

It's just hard to explain when I separate it out like this. I can better explain what it is not. It is not attached to my physical senses in a way that I can articulate but it has to be since I am not a disembodied consciousness. It is not a thought, emotion, feeling or any external pattern recognition, although I have plenty of those too. It is not inner peace or even "harmony" but I have experienced both at times. It arises from within me and even though it sounds weird to others, I just know things that I don't know that I know until I say it. In a socionics sense, I also know most probable outcomes of many situations but I don't like how some socionists almost exclusively associate it with time in the way they do. I think a lot of people can come to the most probable outcomes by using analysis as well. I can do that too. There is a sense of timelessness to my existence especially when I am left to my own devices. I guess that makes sense because time is nothing but a man made construct.

This was all more frustrating and weird as a child, btw. Inside of me are whole other worlds, layered dimensions of experience that I can pull from that seem to come from elsewhere. When someone asks me to describe it I often lose my words, yet other times they can pour out of me in the right setting. Sometimes they feel like they aren't mine but I know they are mine. There are some things that can't even be translated into words.

You know that feeling when some people look at you in awe, fear, or sometimes like you are a lunatic (but they still want to hear it)? I have experienced that a lot irl. I don't think my personality comes across right online to most people even though I get typed an Ni a lot. I would say those who talk to me often, one on one, probably have a better idea of me than what comes out in my posts. I often wonder why they type me that. I think it is for different reasons than I type myself what I do since they have no idea what I am really like. I know why I chose my self type since in Jung's descriptions it is the closest to describing me. Sorry I can't be more help. lol

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Whenever @Aylen talks about it, I feel like I have aphantasia.

The closest I can come to describing a very pure and disconnected form of Ni is the sensation I get when ruminating over dreams that I had at night. They can usually get very weird but interesting, and they touch or speak to me in ways that no event, experience or spoken word in the real world could. Since I don't experience Ni as a flowing film, but rather as a series of very, very fast snapshots put together, I can't say much
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Actually, I'll chat about the bf (I mention him constantly lately and prob seem preoccupied, but we just moved in together and stuff, ok?)

But, if you're curious, an outsider view:

I used to type him IEI cuz of "victim" style behavior and beta vibe and Fe but no Si.. basically going around the Ni thing, cuz it was an element that I perceived as invisible (and still kinda do). But one actual thing that could be it is that he'll say things "as though" they're true, and I'm like, oh, that's a funny angle/incorrect statement, and then over time I chew on it, and I'm like OHH. It was real/true even if not immediately perceptible. Once or twice though (and to be fair, they were things I disliked), he seemed to be just living in an alternative world with no basis and it was entirely subjective and self-serving, but a fiction he actually believed was non-fiction, conveniently. (Which to me, goes to show the subjective nature of this introverted perception element, even if it's often onto something.)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baboooshka View Post
    Whenever @Aylen talks about it, I feel like I have aphantasia.

The closest I can come to describing a very pure and disconnected form of Ni is the sensation I get when ruminating over dreams that I had at night. They can usually get very weird but interesting, and they touch or speak to me in ways that no event, experience or spoken word in the real world could. Since I don't experience Ni as a flowing film, but rather as a series of very, very fast snapshots put together, I can't say much
    I have just had more time on earth to think about these things and how they inform my worldview. In my teens I wouldn't have said a word about it to those not like minded so you are braver than me.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Seeing patterns from observation. My mother is INTP and she said “I haven’t been able to influence you what makes you think I can have any influence over your sister?” Lol long time observance of her directions on us. Time has a big factor in No too because it is so locked in with Se the function that determines immediate senses and immediate action
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some sources site is like they feel the passage of time. Well, I think if you collect patterns and attach to them all sorts of things you begin to raise above the time - ̣it becomes timeless.

Some have said I live outside of my body (Ne). A doctor measured my blood-flow it was abnormally large due to bodily anxiety but I had no clue of it.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Insisting others accept your self-serving "truths" without evidence, then acting smug when they're dismissed without evidence instead of trying to actually argue them, because that would require thinking in natural language and that's too pleb for you.
    Hey, look at that, now we have any other function (in isolation).

YWIMW

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Hey, look at that, now we have any other function (in isolation).

So, any introverted function.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is always so weird to respond to when asked unless it is someone much like me, then it is easy. I feel like I should keep it to myself but since it is you I will attempt an answer, in my own words.

It's just hard to explain when I separate it out like this. I can better explain what it is not. It is not attached to my physical senses in a way that I can articulate but it has to be since I am not a disembodied consciousness. It is not a thought, emotion, feeling or any external pattern recognition, although I have plenty of those too. It is not inner peace or even "harmony" but I have experienced both at times. It arises from within me and even though it sounds weird to others, I just know things that I don't know that I know until I say it. In a socionics sense, I also know most probable outcomes of many situations but I don't like how some socionists almost exclusively associate it with time in the way they do. I think a lot of people can come to the most probable outcomes by using analysis as well. I can do that too. There is a sense of timelessness to my existence especially when I am left to my own devices. I guess that makes sense because time is nothing but a man made construct.

This was all more frustrating and weird as a child, btw. Inside of me are whole other worlds, layered dimensions of experience that I can pull from that seem to come from elsewhere. When someone asks me to describe it I often lose my words, yet other times they can pour out of me in the right setting. Sometimes they feel like they aren't mine but I know they are mine. There are some things that can't even be translated into words.

You know that feeling when some people look at you in awe, fear, or sometimes like you are a lunatic (but they still want to hear it)? I have experienced that a lot irl. I don't think my personality comes across right online to most people even though I get typed an Ni a lot. I would say those who talk to me often, one on one, probably have a better idea of me than what comes out in my posts. I often wonder why they type me that. I think it is for different reasons than I type myself what I do since they have no idea what I am really like. I know why I chose my self type since in Jung's descriptions it is the closest to describing me. Sorry I can't be more help. lol
    Yes yes yes!

So glad somebody gets it.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indescribable~
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni a shit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

How do you do that? You don't have to touch it, right?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    How do you do that? You don't have to touch it, right?
    being high in Ni means you don't touch anything

https://youtu.be/JirvSuZQ-gA?t=225
    TIM
    IEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

internal dynamics of fields

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Its magic

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This statement itself has no evidence, so it's smugly dismissing it without evidence.

The point is, is "evidence" the deciding factor for what is considered to be "truth" or not, and the answer is no. Because then even that proposition has no evidence, so it's self-contradictory.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, it’s ironic how it’s labeled “time”, when Ni seems to transcend any bounds, and time is the greatest one. If Se opposes it, it’s exactly because Se is “the right time”, which is the only time there is. Dual elements complement each other, if you have something, anything, then its opposite is missing, neti-neti law, but socionists like to twist things, as in calling the timeless function “time”. Btw.

Yes, I agree it’s about recognizing pattern. Aylen’s analysis was poignant and it made me feel Ni’s essence pretty well, but I’d translate (poorly) what I grasped from her words just like that, “recognizing patterns”, because if you can delve deep and grasp the underlying structure of something (a function that Jung associates to Ni, but that socionics associates to Ti!) so much so to recognize how things will develop, then yes, you could say that Ni elaborates and recognizes, looks for, studies the patterns and the structure of whatever is crossing their mind.

To do this you need a lot of “meditating”, not in the spiritual sense or any new age bs, but just a lot of time spent alone in your own head, pondering things, playing them over and over, dreaming of other possibilities, and especially, looking for the source of things… this process is characteristic of Ni, and probably why it got the label of “time”, since it likes to reconstruct things from the scratch, just to have an idea of how, and why, they work. These processes are indispensable to be able to develop any insight in the world.

There are aspects in common with all of the other introverted functions: Ni looks peaceful outside, like Si, while actually it often hides an internal turmoil; it looks like Fi, in that it doesn’t express its internal turmoils, but chances are that Fi has no “real” internal turmoil at all (); and it looks like Ti for its will to understand the world, but with the difference that Ni doesn’t advance a strict vision to anything, while Ti are overly categorical.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    This statement itself has no evidence, so it's smugly dismissing it without evidence.

The point is, is "evidence" the deciding factor for what is considered to be "truth" or not, and the answer is no. Because then even that proposition has no evidence, so it's self-contradictory.
    Rule of thumb: something that claims to be evidenced by something that's arguably demonstrated somewhere else, is still slightly more substantial than something that takes divorce from reference to anything else but itself, including its own inherent traits as a "thing" to be self-referenced, as a starting point.

Basically screw infinite recursion. Miss me with that.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ni is basically what youd describe as "my intuition" or "my guts/gut feelings" in the everyday sense of the word. Its also why Ni egos are gut types, (except EIE but EIE is 2w1 so almost)

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rule of thumb: something that claims to be evidenced by something that's arguably demonstrated somewhere else, is still slightly more substantial than something that takes divorce from reference to anything else but itself, including its own inherent traits as a "thing" to be self-referenced, as a starting point.

Basically screw infinite recursion. Miss me with that.
    And that "somewhere else" is an extra step required that will produce more errors. And that has to be "proven" somehow. Yes, infinite recursion.

It may be "corroboration", but corroboration doesn't actually mean anything. I'd suppose people won't tire of pointing of how Newton's theory has been corroborated millions of times, but it's still wrong.

something that takes divorce from reference to anything else but itself, including its own inherent traits as a "thing" to be self-referenced, as a starting point.
    It's actually not a self-reference, because it's not referencing anything. It has no basis, no proof, no foundation. But it doesn't need to. People start asking the completely wrong question when they start searching for the ultimate foundation for something, when there actually is no such thing.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A non-Socionics definition : "N" refers to input that has a predominantly relativistic perspective on information while "i" refers to a process of continually comparing input to a central reference that is comprised of a body of knowledge having an N-perspective. The reference is information that has been validated by the ego (as being true) even though some of it may not be entirely accurate. "N" and "i" are independent of one another; "i" refers to how "N" is configured in an information control system.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    all of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clearing the mind, being ready for thoughts but not thinking them
    forsitan mea potentia increvit nimis

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Antimattter View Post
    clearing the mind, being ready for thoughts but not thinking them
    This sounds like meditation?

TIM
    all of them
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way most meditation teachers speak about it, as an activity that has be learned and practiced with intense focus and subjected to a set of ordered rituals that takes the training of an expert to remember let alone comprehend

no, kinda the opposite.
    forsitan mea potentia increvit nimis

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ni means being so vile that you are keen to play dumb while being purposely slow so you can force others to be proactive and take actions and decisions for you so you can blame them later and play as a victim when things go wrong (and they will for sure at some time or another with such attitude...e-e).

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll Cat View Post
    Ni means being so vile that you are keen to play dumb while being purposely slow so you can force others to be proactive and take actions and decisions for you so you can blame them later and play as a victim when things go wrong (and they will for sure at some time or another with such attitude...e-e).
    Not Ni. lol

YWIMW

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not Ni. lol

Describe Ni in your own words!

Also you can read Strat on IEI.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll Cat View Post

Describe Ni in your own words!

Also you can read Strat on IEI.

I read it. It's still not "Ni". She describes behavior > cognition and she is extremely biased. I don't disagree with some of her work but she is exaggerating it to the point many IEI won't even identify with the IEI description and will choose EII instead. I have already said I could relate to some of it. Your post seems kind of Fe or F polr in general. Any type can behave that way. See it here all the time. Not just F types. I have seen it expressed in one form or another in all 16 types just on this forum over the years.

YWIMW

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I read it. It's still not "Ni". She describes behavior > cognition and she is extremely biased. I don't disagree with some of her work but she is exaggerating it to the point many IEI won't even identify with the IEI description and will choose EII instead. I have already said I could relate to some of it.
    I don't know, she sounds pretty convincing.
    Your post seems kind of Fe or F polr in general. Any type can behave that way. See it here all the time. Not just F types. I have seen it expressed in one form or another in all 16 types just on this forum over the years.
    No, not any type can behave that way. But all types can behave wrongly in their own way for sure.. I've seen what I wrote in Ni ppl a lot. Also its fine if Ni ppl disagree with my description.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Abstraction of external dynamic processes.

One liner and you're welcome.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ashlesha, most Ni-descriptions on the internet sound like esoteric rubbish. And what I'm reading here doesn't help either. When descriptions involve words like dynamic, internal, process, patterns, abstract ... they sound like they mean something but they don't. It's: blabla I don't know either, let me use some pretty words.

Ni-ego types...

* what can you and your Ni do that other types cannot?
    * what can you not do? What limitations does Ni pose that other types have not?

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Ni-ego types...

* what can you and your Ni do that other types cannot?
    * what can you not do? What limitations does Ni pose that other types have not?
    There's no fundamental limitation to what other people can possibly think of, that you can't.

If this "Ni" or whatever claims that their thinking is so special that it cannot be understood or comprehended by others, then yeah, it's bullshit.

If that were so, then it would violate Turing principle and Turing completeness, which there would be... no computers. And we have computers, not mysticism.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Ni people are Ni-ing, I feel like there is a cloud of derpiness that engulfs them. Their eyes go like
    <o >_< o>
    and if you sprinkled something on their head they probably wouldn’t notice. They have disappeared into their spiritual realm.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

autism

lol, I had to. But it might be if it captures you entirely and no one kicks your ass as they get benefits from rightly applied force aka structure to make you remain productive/creative/dandy/whatever.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You still describe pattern lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast