Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy of Science

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I will say: the reason that physics, chemistry, etc. the harder sciences, are more successful and precise is because they deal with the dumbest, simplest parts of the universe. The lowest hanging fruit. Chemistry is more complex than physics. Biology more complex than chemistry. Psychology/sociology more complex than biology.

Newton knew this. He said he can calculate the motions of the heavens but not the minds of people.

That being said, nearly all experts, in the west anyway, would not take Socionics seriously. Same thing with creationism and other pseudoscience. It has nothing to do with Ti or Te or any of that shit. It is totally unfouded and an example of the psychologists fallacy.

The psychologist's fallacy is a fallacy that occurs when an observer assumes that his or her subjective experience reflects the true nature of an event. The fallacy was named by William James in the 19th century:

The great snare of the psychologist is the confusion of his own standpoint with that of the mental fact about which he is making his report. I shall hereafter call this the ‘psychologist's fallacy’ par excellence. … The psychologist … stands outside of the mental state he speaks of. Both itself and its object are objects for him. Now when it is a cognitive state (percept, thought, concept, etc.), he ordinarily has no other way of naming it than as the thought, percept, etc., of that object. He himself meanwhile, knowing the self-same object in his way, gets easily led to suppose that the thought which is of it, knows it in the same way in which he knows it, although this is often very far from being the case.

This creates "fictitious puzzles" as James called them, like enneagram and socionics.

"The most fictitious puzzles have been introduced into our science by this means...and it is a snare into which no psychologist has kept himself at all times from falling, and which forms almost the entire stock-in-trade of certain schools. We cannot be too watchful against its subtly corrupting influence”

“Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.” -William James

Jung, and socionics people, think they have a meta view and are 6 people. They are just telling stories and have no authority.

Somebody posted a good thread with a guy reading Hegel explaining why Typology is not knowledge, only formalism. Exactly.

"Such predicates can be multiplied to infinity, since in this way each determination or form can again be used as a form or moment in the case of another, and each can gratefully perform the same service for an other. In this sort of circle of reciprocity one never learns what the thing itself is, nor what the one or the other is." -Hegel

for·mal·ismˈ

1.excessive adherence to prescribed forms."academic dryness and formalism"

2.a description of something in formal mathematical or logical terms.: marked attention to arrangement, style, or artistic means (as in art or literature) usually with corresponding de-emphasis of content

Last edited by Tearsofaclown; 10-19-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hatchback176 View Post
    It's easy to integrate over philosophers in space and time when you have a consistent model of Neuroanatomy that applies to any thinker throughout human history that happens to also have a brain. While it's rarely the case that reading multiple philosophers results in a stable understanding that threads together the different schools of thought by satisfying each set of requirements.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    Any "Catholic" who agrees in any way with Marx is akin to them saying that maybe Lucifer had a point. Again, I implore you, read a work or two from the likes of the "doctors" of the faith. They saved me, they will save you as well if you do not truly hate the one true God. Ya just might though, given what I've been observing of your post history. Damn near about to hard ask you to pass a Witch Test dude because I'm becoming pretty damn sure you couldn't say the words even if you were waving dueling middle fingers in my face as you stressed every sarcastic bone in your body to make sure anyone with half a brain knew you were not in any way serious about a solitary syllable of the creed.
    I know this wasn't directed at me but I took the "witch test" and passed. Now what? Is there a prize?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any "Catholic" who agrees in any way with Marx is akin to them saying that maybe Lucifer had a point. Again, I implore you, read a work or two from the likes of the "doctors" of the faith. They saved me, they will save you as well if you do not truly hate the one true God. Ya just might though, given what I've been observing of your post history. Damn near about to hard ask you to pass a Witch Test dude because I'm becoming pretty damn sure you couldn't say the words even if you were waving dueling middle fingers in my face as you stressed every sarcastic bone in your body to make sure anyone with half a brain knew you were not in any way serious about a solitary syllable of the creed.

You can, I want you to, and yet you will not. Prove me wrong dude, make me question my own worldview here and now. I have the utmost confidence in my convictions, do you?
    Kant invented scientific racism so I thought you'd be a fan. Kant is just wrong enough to cause problems. He still believes in Cartesian dualism which is bad. Simulation theory is Kant's fault. At least you hate Marx though. We have some sense here!

Why would anyone say the creed and not be serious? The definition of God is supposed to be love. You don't go off and reject love just because you don't like church or religion. I think you should damn yourself on the Internet since you seem bored enough, and the whole Golden Rule thing. Jesus Christ, get a life and go work at the food pantry like, well, Jesus Christ or something instead of seething at "R-selected negroes" and people you don't even know who vent about Catholicism because they only see modern Roman Catholics acting like hypocrites and racists.

By the way, what do you think of Dante? R-selected degenerate giving Catholicism a bad name? Is Hildegard of Bingen horrible for being a scientist and a nun rather than a whore?

I agree to an extent. We cannot denigrate children for ignorance as they truly had no way of knowing a thing until it was presented to them at the proper/appropriate time. However, it is not as if there is no value in the viewpoint of a "child" as it were. I have pointed out in the past that, sometimes, you need a "dumber" or "simpler" perspective. That there is value in "idiots" and their perspectives as we may see them. I mean, I have a cousin with many a cognitive disability. The things he has helped me discover. I am truly blessed even though he is not. I pray I can repay him the many favors I owe him somehow.

I refuse to believe that thinking things will get better over time is wrong though. You seem to be a soul who has given into despair. There are 7 deadly sins but I hold there's one that was missed, Despair. A most insidious sin to be sure, for to lose all hope before a final divine judgement just seems to be a thing for heathens, fools, and SJW's (but I repeat myself). For if God is real than why would one ever truly Despair? You will get what you deserve, and you will accept that judgement as it will have the ultimate backing of truth incarnate in one form or another...
    I'm not saying things never get better. I'm saying thinking things magically get better while you sit on your butt is bad. No, things rot if you let them. That's not despair, but a call to action. You seem to have given into sloth. Maybe you're racist because you were replaced by a Mexican at your job. Would make sense.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoodoo View Post
    Would it be unethical to grow a brain in a vat and control its sensory input. Then pick it apart to study it at the same time. Would it even have any idea of what it was? Kind of like the Bobiverse, except organic, rather than software.
    How would a brain, having never had a body, be able to perceive sensory input?

You could run a computer simulation of the brain and get more information than growing one devoid of sensory perception having never experienced it.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen
    So basically, in the Bobiverse (lol), they can scan the brain of a person, effectively destroying their brain, but transcoding their brain into procedural software. This software can be run without inputs and given various inputs, controls, and modifications. All the while the subject is aware, while its going on. But they know how the brain functions in order to do this.

So blind people can paint objects with perspective, despite never having seen anything with their eyes. So the understanding of perspective was already encoded into the brain. And the brain has a unique structure all on its own, independent from input. Think of it as being in a sensory deprivation tank, but you raise someone up from birth like that, metaphorically speaking, in order to study its structure. And they don't really know what's going on and wouldn't feel pain because the brain has no pain receptors. I mean wouldn't it still be aware though? And wouldn't a software version of that also be just as aware? Is there a difference? Is one somehow more ethical than the other? Are we just meatbags when it's all said and done?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoodoo View Post
    @Aylen
    So basically, in the Bobiverse (lol), they can scan the brain of a person, effectively destroying their brain, but transcoding their brain into procedural software. This software can be run without inputs and given various inputs, controls, and modifications. All the while the subject is aware, while its going on. But they know how the brain functions in order to do this.

So blind people can paint objects with perspective, despite never having seen anything with their eyes. So the understanding of perspective was already encoded into the brain. And the brain has a unique structure all on its own, independent from input. Think of it as being in a sensory deprivation tank, but you raise someone up from birth like that, metaphorically speaking, in order to study its structure. And they don't really know what's going on and wouldn't feel pain because the brain has no pain receptors. I mean wouldn't it still be aware though? And wouldn't a software version of that also be just as aware? Is there a difference? Is one somehow more ethical than the other? Are we just meatbags when it's all said and done?
    Well, I believe in an animating force. I am not willing to say that an animating force would reside within a lab grown brain so yeah it is probably ethical on some level. It is still gross and unnecessary since I believe that we are past that kind of "science". It would be like a step backwards or something.

Blind people who produce art are fascinating but they still have access to some senses that apparently are stronger due to the brain rewiring to make up for their blindness. You don't need eyes to "see".

This groundbreaking work explores how children and adults who have been blind since birth can both perceive and draw pictures. John M. Kennedy, a perception psychologist, relates how pictures in raised form can be understood by the blind, and how untrained blind people can make recognizable sketches of objects, situations, and events using new methods for raised-line drawing. According to Kennedy, the ability to draw develops in blind people as it does in the sighted. His book gives detailed descriptions of his work with the blind, includes many pictures by blind children and adults, and provides a new theory of visual and tactile perception--applicable to both the blind and the sighted--to account for his startling findings. Kennedy argues that spatial perception is possible through touch as well as through sight, and that aspects of perspective are found in pictures by the blind. He shows that blind people recognize when pictures of objects are drawn incorrectly. According to Kennedy, the incorrect features are often deliberate attempts to represent properties of objects that cannot be shown in a picture. These metaphors, as Kennedy describes them, can be interpreted by the blind and the sighted in the same way. Kennedy's findings are vitally important for studies in perceptual and cognitive psychology, the philosophy of representation, and education. His conclusions have practical significance as well, offering inspiration and guidelines for those who seek to engineer ways to allow blind and visually impaired people to gain access to information only available in graphs, figures, and pictures.
    https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/1021
    I am not familiar with the Bobiverse, sorry.

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Your response is exactly what I expected @coeruleum, so now I must implore you to pass a witch test before I even bother to invest yet more of my precious time. You need not mean a single syllable or letter of it. Just type out these words: "Jesus is the Christ and God has risen him from the dead". Say and mock the lord all you want afterwards in that post, just have those exact words typed in that exact order and properly spelled out in it. I'll bet actual money you will not, because of reasons I know and your response to this may well confirm .
    Last edited by End; 10-20-2019 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typo

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your response is exactly what I expected @coeruleum, so now I must implore you to pass a which test before I even bother to invest yet more of my precious time. You need not mean a single syllable or letter of it. Just type out these words: "Jesus is the Christ and God has risen him from the dead". Say and mock the lord all you want afterwards in that post, just have those exact words typed out in it. I'll bet actual money you will not, because of reasons I know and your response to this may well confirm .
    Witch* and she will not pass it.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Witch* and she will not pass it.
    I pray she does, but a part of me just knows better sadly.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pray she does, but a part of me just knows better sadly.
    Enlighten me, why that would be better?

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Enlighten me, why that would be better?
    Because the mere act of passing the test means their soul isn't truly and utterly lost. Even the act of sarcastically passing it means that there is yet some hope remaining as it means, deep down, that you haven't yet truly rejected Christ in the way we Catholics are asked to reject Satan.

To put it another way. She, like pretty much all "Death Cultists" as I myself and many others like to refer to her ilk as, is an adherent to an inverted form of Christianity (Catholicism in particular BTW). That is to say, she's a literal heretic. To "praise" Jesus like I'm asking her to, even sarcastically and insincerely, is something she just simply cannot do if she's being true to her heretical beliefs. Catholic Exorcists speak about this, about how they can force demons to acknowledge Christ and his authority over them. Key word: force. I have none to apply in any way here. I am not a priest (much less an exorcist), I am but a mere lay believer. I have no power in any form save my faith in Christ. If I have any power at all, it is in truth his power that he has most graciously allowed me to wield with that full understanding on my part that it was, is, and ever will be his and never mine.

Kudos to the demons working through her though, ya got me on my chief flaw. Yep, it's sloth, thanks for the confirmation. Was praying about that one, I had it narrowed down to Wrath, Sloth, and Pride. Wasn't sure until reading that. Now I know what to work on the hardest. Praise the lord for showing me the way through your obstinate defiance of him @coeruleum. I'll say it again, even if you defy him with every fiber of your being, you still cannot help but serve his purpose. Cry me more tears!

Or rather, you've just about made me cry. Another soul utterly lost to error, never a happy sight for the faithful such as I...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the mere act of passing the test means their soul isn't truly and utterly lost. Even the act of sarcastically passing it means that there is yet some hope remaining as it means, deep down, that you haven't yet truly rejected Christ in the way we Catholics are asked to reject Satan.
    You're catholic, gotcha! Thanks for the effort though. Even if you're painting with broad strokes.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You're catholic, gotcha! Thanks for the effort though. Even if you're painting with broad strokes.
    So you're not I take it? Eh, it's OK. You can pass a Witch test I'd wager. So there's still hope for ya .

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you're not I take it? Eh, it's OK. You can pass a Witch test I'd wager. So there's still hope for ya .
    I bet I would not pass. I'd mock them into killing me. Or providing me with an opportunity to kill them all. I'm a good man though, without the label, you seems so keen on.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I bet I would not pass. I'd mock them into killing me. Or providing me with an opportunity to kill them all. I'm a good man though, without the label, you seems so keen on.
    Like I've made obvious I hope, passing the test is in all actuality quite easy and carries exactly zero risk. Just type out the words "Jesus is the Christ and God has risen him from the dead" in that exact order and spelling and hit post. You can say whatever the hell ya friggin' want after that. Praise Satan, post anti-Christian memes, whatever. I won't care, but others (i.e. other death cultists) will. The mere act of posting that sequence of letters is to them what walking up to a Saint's relic, dropping trow, and shitting/pissing all over it would be to the likes of myself.

Kind of illustrates a point on my end. I've said it again and again that I'd actually concede defeat if they passed it. Logically, just saying/posting a few words you obviously don't mean to win an argument is a thing any rational actor would do in a heartbeat. Yet, they do not. Thus, again, "logic" ain't got shit to do with all this.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we're worlds apart. I think we're separate species with gaps that would make carl linnaeus question his very existence. Return to me with your reasoning once you've come into a woman and then proceeded to suck your sperm from out of her vagina.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think we're worlds apart. I think we're separate species with gaps that would make carl linnaeus question his very existence. Return to me with your reasoning once you've come into a woman and then proceeded to such your sperm from out of her vagina.
    Very degenerate, but it made me chuckle regardless. "Snowballing" I believe they call that, though that one involves the mouth I believe. Saint Augustine knew well of the pleasures of the flesh after all. Hell, he famously prayed to the lord to grant him chastity "but not yet" before he well and fully acted in a way befitting his title.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very degenerate, but it made me chuckle regardless. "Snowballing" I believe they call that, though that one involves the mouth I believe. Saint Augustine knew well of the pleasures of the flesh after all. Hell, he famously prayed to the lord to grant him chastity "but not yet" before he well and fully acted in a way befitting his title.
    Not degenerate or related to anything you said. But I wont explain it further, by the same reason as to why I don't carry on wardrobe discussions with a dog.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not degenerate or related to anything you said. But I wont explain it further, by the same reason as to why I don't carry on wardrobe discussions with a dog.
    Drinking your own sperm is pretty degenerate if ya ask me. Still, comparing me to a dog? Eh, there are worse comparisons. At least you're not going as far as that other dude did. Sorry fool thinks I'm A-OK with slaughtering anything with an elevated melanin content or something along those absurd lines. Those damned Death Cultists I swear...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drinking your own sperm is pretty degenerate if ya ask me. Still, comparing me to a dog? Eh, there are worse comparisons. At least you're not going as far as that other dude did. Sorry fool thinks I'm A-OK with slaughtering anything with an elevated melanin content or something along those absurd lines. Those damned Death Cultists I swear...
    First of all, that's kink shaming, secondly it's not even a kink it's part of my religious practice. You're referring to my religious practice as degenerate gotcha. You don't hear me criticising your pedophilia since you're catholic. What's that saying of throwing glass inside of a stone house.

Also, drinking sperm aint part of it.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

First of all, that's kink shaming, secondly it's not even a kink it's part of my religious practice. You're referring to my religious practice as degenerate gotcha. You don't hear me criticising your pedophilia since you're catholic. What's that saying of throwing glass inside of a stone house.

Also, drinking sperm aint part of it.
    Alright, now we're clearly speaking past each other. What denomination are you exactly? I obviously need more information here. The Pedos within the ranks of the Church hierarchy are going to get what's coming to them BTW. Trust me, we'll be doing Torquemada proud soon enough on that front. Patience, after all, is a virtue. Sadly, the dark one comprehended that one pretty damn well. Took over 300 years to get us to this point...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, now we're clearly speaking past each other. What denomination are you exactly? I obviously need more information here. The Pedos within the ranks of the Church hierarchy are going to get what's coming to them BTW. Trust me, we'll be doing Torquemada proud soon enough on that front. Patience, after all, is a virtue. Sadly, the dark one comprehended that one pretty damn well. Took over 300 years to get us to this point...
    Why do you need a denomination in order to understand me? Alright what ever you say, just lay off the kiddos.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    ^ Neuroscience is presently at the same level as physiology was when physiologists were debating the circulation of blood.

Neuroscience is hard because there are more neurons in a human brain than stars in our galaxy and there are a huge number of ways to connect them. Plus, it is ethically very difficult to reverse engineer the brain while it is running.
    I'm sure that it's very difficult. If an iPhone were transported back 300 years ago, then how would the people then figure out how it works? I'm sure that saying that heat is being released from a certain place is a start. But to say that you can't speculate any further because speculation is bad, or because it has not been "proven" or "verified" or something like that, would stagnate the whole development. Which is something that's actually happening, right now, in some fields.

Eventually, they will have to figure out how to create a computer from scratch, just as present day people did. Thankfully, Alan Turing did manage to find the mathematical principle for creating a computer, which was an inordinately simple idea, which turned more complex over time.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tearsofaclown View Post
    One thing I will say: the reason that physics, chemistry, etc. the harder sciences, are more successful and precise is because they deal with the dumbest, simplest parts of the universe. The lowest hanging fruit. Chemistry is more complex than physics. Biology more complex than chemistry. Psychology/sociology more complex than biology.
    I don't necessarily think that one is more complex than the other. But I think that physics and chemistry were mostly dealing with unobservable things, so they had to come up with abstract laws, rules and regularities of the universe. Which means that they had to rely on their creativity and imagination more to come up with abstract ideas. Things that you can't merely observe.

While observable things like people are well... observable. So they thought that they could just rely on things like statistics and simply note their observations, without bothering to come up with any abstract theories dealing with abstract ideas. Well they were wrong.

Saying that you can't speculate because it's not "real" is like saying you can't figure out how the iPhone works, you can only observe.

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'm glad @End is here to remind me most people in mental institutions have Internet access. I doubt they're even bringing him communion wafers in his padded cell. I actually helped a Catholic food pantry yesterday. I'm sure End was just babbing about the invasion of degenerate races in his cell.

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, last I checked, refusing to commit blasphemy against a religion that's really abused by society is not a sin in that religion. Poor End tormented by witches in his padded cell. I can't even do the anonymous Internet anymore.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Still proving my point there @coeruleum (especially with the insults, textbook response material) but I will pray for your soul regardless. Paul killed people like me with joy in his heart until that incident on his way to Damascus after all.

TIM
    ILI-Ni 8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Causality is never communicated or perceived. It's internally constructed as a spatial structure. thinkers implicitly know this. People weak in like Singu have to be told the same concept over and over again using the right word in the right consensus group in the right field.

Apperception --->Categories--->image Schema--->Causal Calculus--->Causal Graph--->Parietal lobe--->Introverted Logic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transc...l_apperception (How self-images are possible)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._of_categories (What can be done with self-images)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema...nitive_science (Connection to Cognitive Science)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_..._image_schemas (Types of self-images)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality#Causal_calculus (Very popular formulation of causal reasoning)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_graph (the basis image schema for the Causal Calculus)
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory (graphs are very general)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pariet...l_significance (Neurology has a notion of graphs ['spatial relationships'])
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constr...d_Koeing_model ('categorical relations', there's that word category again)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory (there's that word category again, graphs are very general)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socion...with_memetics) (Introverted Logic--->'categorizations', there's that word category again)

2) The reason Causality is a spatial structure is because observables, measurements, datasets, words, rules, facts, etc. require a hypothesis that relates expectations as dependencies. It doesn't matter how fluid and unscientific your field is (yes, including the social sciences) because even randomness and quantum uncertainty have structure that informs expectations at some level so thinking can still occur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judea_Pearl#Research
    "His work on causality has "revolutionized the understanding of causality in statistics, psychology, medicine and the social sciences" according to the Association for Computing Machinery."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomness#In_science
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

Recommended books:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causality_(book)
    https://www.basicbooks.com/titles/ju...9780465097609/

3) The funny thing about Singu's computer metaphor is that there is a guy who literally wrote the books "Programmer's Guide to the Mind" Volumes I and II over 22 years ago using MBTI and Neurology. You can easily relate it to Socionics with sufficient IQ (interestingly, also hypothesized to center around parietal function). So pardon me if I still don't think you're missing much from Singu.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20030308...2/Book_057.htm
    https://web.archive.org/web/20021224....htm#Perceiver
    https://web.archive.org/web/20021224...h9.htm#Objects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros...gration_theory

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pray for all of your heathen souls. ✟
    May Allah use his infinite love to strike down all the non-believers. 👳

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHY IS SCIENCE ABOUT EXPLANATIONS?

It's uncontroversial now to say that science is about explanations. So why is that?

The best way to explain it (heh) would be that you can't figure out how the iPhone works, by just observing it. Sure you may be able to observe and categorize millions of similar and related apps... but that tells us absolutely nothing about how the OS works, or how the phone works. It just tells us how to categorize things.

In order to understand how the iPhone actually works, then you're going to need explanations for virtually anything (in the form of explanatory theories). It's going to need theories of physics, theories of computer science, theories of programming... in order to understand exactly how the iPhone works. And it's this understanding that will create new theories and hence new knowledge.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol @ GOD

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, allelujah

TIM
    ILI-Ni 8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    WHY IS SCIENCE ABOUT EXPLANATIONS?

It's uncontroversial now to say that science is about explanations. So why is that?

The best way to explain it (heh) would be that you can't figure out how the iPhone works, by just observing it. Sure you may be able to observe and categorize millions of similar and related apps... but that tells us absolutely nothing about how the OS works, or how the phone works. It just tells us how to categorize things.

In order to understand how the iPhone actually works, then you're going to need explanations for virtually anything (in the form of explanatory theories). It's going to need theories of physics, theories of computer science, theories of programming... in order to understand exactly how the iPhone works. And it's this understanding that will create new theories and hence new knowledge.
    Except you stupidly think categorizing doesn't include Causality and Functions when this is obvious to thinkers who are the ones that categorize in the 1st place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._of_categories (Causality)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory (Functions)

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your response is exactly what I expected @coeruleum, so now I must implore you to pass a witch test before I even bother to invest yet more of my precious time. You need not mean a single syllable or letter of it. Just type out these words: "Jesus is the Christ and God has risen him from the dead". Say and mock the lord all you want afterwards in that post, just have those exact words typed in that exact order and properly spelled out in it. I'll bet actual money you will not, because of reasons I know and your response to this may well confirm .

Witches were legit just girls who used ergot. It's medieval war on drugs bullshit. Look it up.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

You want her to say it to claim some kind of victory over her? How can you ask people to say it then mock god or praise satan after? It doesn't give the impression you have a strong belief in your faith since that would be worse than not saying the words, wouldn't it? It looks like you are the one mocking it by this silly "witch test". This isn't the inquisition. I remember similar games as a child where someone wanted me to just say something so when I would refuse they had to walk away with the feeling they couldn't break me.

Your posts remind me of people new to a religion that don't fully understand the faith. This might not be your case. It looks like it to me.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Witches were legit just girls who used ergot. It's medieval war on drugs bullshit. Look it up.
    If there were legit powerful witches they wouldn't have been caught.

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    And the people who burned them where driven crazy with lead poisoning and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    If there were legit powerful witches they wouldn't have been caught.
    I think I would have been the one getting caught up in them, if you know what im saying.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

And the people who burned them where driven crazy with lead poisoning and religion.

I think I would have been the one getting caught up in them, if you know what im saying.

Have you heard the story of Isobel Gowdie? I claimed her as a past life in my teens, for reasons I won't go into, other than my dreams led me there. Funny that she gets labeled as stark raving mad. I don't think she was. I think she was a very imaginative and crafty victim of the madness that caused the witch burnings. If she wasn't a witch then I can see why a future incarnation might want to become a powerful witch in the name of justice.

That would be my story, if I believed in past lives.

https://spookyscotland.net/isobel-gowdie/

https://maskofreason.wordpress.com/t...isobel-gowdie/

YWIMW

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen: Gonna read up on the story!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast