Thread: Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (recognizing others' emotions)

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reading the Mind in the Eyes Test (recognizing others' emotions)

Which (sub)types would score highest or higher than average (at recognizing others' emotions)? Wouldn't ILE-Ti and SLE-Ti score higher than average on the Reading the Mind in the Eyes test? Wouldn't LIE score lower than average?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are they reading thoughts, emotions, or events?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

You can check out this thread. If you bump it maybe some self typed SLE, LIE or ILE, who haven't taken it, will take it. Not sure if it will help. Reading people's emotions is a skill that you can get better at.

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...nd-in-the-Eyes

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Are they reading thoughts, emotions, or events?
    I think emotions expressed during events are the easiest to read. At a funeral most people will recognize sadness if it is being expressed. If at a wedding most people will recognize joy if it is being expressed.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I think emotions expressed during events are the easiest to read. At a funeral most people will recognize sadness if it is being expressed. If at a wedding most people will recognize joy if it is being expressed.
    That makes sense. You are primed to expect certain emotions in those events and notice whether they are being expressed, or even more sharply, if they are not being expressed.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Which (sub)types would score highest or higher than average (at recognizing others' emotions)? Wouldn't ILE-Ti and SLE-Ti score higher than average on the Reading the Mind in the Eyes test? Wouldn't LIE score lower than average?
    I can't speak for other LIE's, but I did horribly badly on this test. Much lower than average.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Disturbed I scored lower than average. Possibly far lower when I was younger. I just retook it and replied in the thread. I am also a woman, so there goes that theory of yours, lol. I could be an anomaly though, and some people have typed me LIE here mind you (but they are wrong).

I noted in my post that it is likely in part cultural. When I look for others' emotions, I get information from many things, and I think I'm very good at this. Context, tone of voice, body language, content of expression, face flush, are they sweating or tremoring, etc. I don't usually focus on the eyes I think.
    Last edited by sbbds; 10-04-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken similar tests and did really bad. What I think the emotion should be isn't even in the list of multiple choice answers.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I've taken similar tests and did really bad. What I think the emotion should be isn't even in the list of multiple choice answers.
    LOL. This is how I feel. I'm like ??? I can't even imagine the people having different emotions from what I chose or from what's not even on the test. Mb F type my ass.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had 32/35 or something like that. It is high average-ish. Heh that is when options were given and I had time to reflect. Otherwise I think finding words for it might be challenging.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SLE-Ti-N
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32 here

Completely with COVID 007 on this one - "that is when options were given and I had time to reflect. Otherwise I think finding words for it might be challenging"

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did this one, 29/36. Not sure I would have been able to pick an emotion in my own words, just picked the most likely one from the multiple choice list after some deliberation.
    Confirms my suspicion that Fe/Ti ego > Fi/Te ego in this test. I've noticed Fi egos sometimes staring intently at me and trying to figure out how I'm feeling, whereas Fe egos can tell immediately.
    And no, I can't figure out how people are feeling without constantly seeing and automatically mirroring it like Fi types can.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Just did this one, 29/36.
    a significant chance of F type I'd suppose with >30
    though, lower result does not mean T type. for example, being more tired and with lesser efforts you may get it lower

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Just did this one, 29/36. Not sure I would have been able to pick an emotion in my own words, just picked the most likely one from the multiple choice list after some deliberation.
    Confirms my suspicion that Fe/Ti ego > Fi/Te ego in this test. I've noticed Fi egos sometimes staring intently at me and trying to figure out how I'm feeling, whereas Fe egos can tell immediately.
    And no, I can't figure out how people are feeling without constantly seeing and automatically mirroring it like Fi types can.
    Yeah, two IEEs thought I was feeling a certain away or thought I was going to be unhappy about something and they were wrong. One who was pretty hostile towards me realized how attention seeking I was and how much I liked attention although it was really secondary to my goals of intelligent discussion and trying to be different for the sake of individuality, people were furious about my conspiracy theories and my promotion of existing ones; he said if I ever went out in public and had a crowd listening to me I'd be shouted down, he seemed hostile towards misbehavior in public which is Beta quadra behavior. EIEs can usually tell how I'm feeling (sometimes way better than I can), but they blow it way out of proportion and they usually can't or won't narrow it down and act on whether someone is satisfied or unsatisfied. LSIs and ILEs are much better because they go by rules more/use systems better and more wisely and they think more in terms of stable or unstable, making sense or not making sense, being repulsive or pleasant, and satisfied or unsatisfied. Observing some psych patients and trying to find solutions is intellectually stimulating or relieving for them. For SLEs, the patients are punching bags or toys (IEIs and EIEs are sometimes that way too and occasionally LSIs are). ILIs go by what they want to hear and what they don't want to hear and what the patient says and what brings them the most money (EIEs also do the last one). LSEs just repeat what they've heard without caring to understand it. ESIs get furious about behavior they deem inappropriate and they're pretty blunt about it and can be quite forceful in trying to end it. But they're usually willing to help whoever asks for it without needing anything in return for it. They can be fun but also distant and closed. LSI-Se are usually warmer, more gentle, and more pleasant. They seem more natural, much more adaptable to people especially to people they're meeting for the first time. ILI are even moreso.