Thread: Remembering facesThis kind of thing

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Remembering facesThis kind of thing

This might be a long shot, but how are you guys at remembering faces? I’m curious if it’s related to type.

Personally, I’m terrible at it. Today a girl at university came up to me, smiled, and said hi as if she knew me. I couldn’t remember her, but pretended to and just said hi back. It bothered me for the rest of the day, until I remembered recently that I’d had lunch or dinner with her once. This kind of thing happens to me often. I’m usually afraid of offending someone who expects me to remember them.

Edit: Just realized I missed up the thread title. That’s what I get for posting on mobile. Mods, feel free to edit it.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 08-23-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Aw, I'm glad you pretended. It would be rough if the person started talking and you had to follow through, lol, but it sounds like you saved her feelings.

This has only happened to me like twice? in my life, so generally not an issue. But I'm terrible with names.

It actually happened today, so it's funny that you made this thread. Well, maybe it happened today? The man collecting tickets at the state fair looked SO familiar. I mean, he could have winked at me coincidentally but I doubt it. It had to be because we knew eachother, right? (Winking sounds like there was funny business, but it was like a wink from an uncle.)

As for types, I hear about things like remembering shirt color being associated with Se and this is similar.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have no issues with remembering names or faces

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Aw, I'm glad you pretended. It would be rough if the person started talking and you had to follow through, lol, but it sounds like you saved her feelings.
    Ha. I doubt she’d be all that broken up about it, really.

This has only happened to me like twice? in my life, so generally not an issue. But I'm terrible with names.

It actually happened today, so it's funny that you made this thread. Well, maybe it happened today? The man collecting tickets at the state fair looked SO familiar. I mean, he could have winked at me coincidentally but I doubt it. It had to be because we knew eachother, right? (Winking sounds like there was funny business, but it was like a wink from an uncle.)

As for types, I hear about things like remembering shirt color being associated with Se and this is similar.
    It did happen today. Blame something astrological.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I’m excellent at remembering faces and absolutely terrible at remembering names. I attribute this to my being left-handed.
    Left-handers hear the melody, right handers hear the notes.

The left side is analog, the right side is digital.

Having said that, I also believe that the process of remembering names is dependent on how important you view the other person. There are techniques for improving name-memory.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In the name of Dunning-Kruger I have tested it and it was OK.

You can do it as well.

https://facememory.psy.uwa.edu.au/https://facememory.psy.uwa.edu.au/
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm bad w faces and names. i can't remember shit in general

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I’m excellent at remembering faces and absolutely terrible at remembering names.
    Same for me, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange
    I attribute this to my being left-handed.
    I guess it has more to do with activity of regions of the brain.

I'm also good at identifying people by the sound of their voice.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure memory has anything to do with type, but rather type will influence what in particular you remember about that person.

I do remember faces and names very well, and if if it happens that I don't remember's someone's name, I usually know where I met that person so I can get around the conversation even without mentioning it. Maybe being Se-Fi helps with connecting the face to where I met them and where we stand on the relationship scale, i.e. how close we are so I know how to act around the person. Names aren't even that important if you act appropriately familiar with someone!

As for what ashlesha said, I'm not sure I remember shirt color. I tend to remember what they wore, as in t-shirt or blouse with skirt/pants, rather than the color, unless it was really striking.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't relate to OP at all.

I have no desire to help OP navigate reality.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

not bad, but could be better. I recall a one who I did not remember clearly who he is. after age people change and this makes the situation harder. significant is with actors/bloggers - regularly forget famouses I typed befor

as funny to note that I had not a single time when people falsely thought they know me. this summer 2 times on streets, at least. one time even short name was same with another dude

F types should remember people and faces better, in average. TN mb are the worst in this

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
    I can't relate to OP at all.

I have no desire to help OP navigate reality.
    ? I wasn't asking anyone to help me navigate reality, whatever you mean by that.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm very good at remembering faces. Worse with names.... but more average. It annoys me kinda when somebody else's name is too foreign, snobby or weird.