Thread: Andromeda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Andromeda

I searched and couldn't find this anywhere on the forum. So...these are my theories. Tentative theories, as I've only seen all of season one. Feel free to correct, berate, or beat with a stick any silly suggestions I make. Most of these are merely instinctive.

Dylan- I can't begin to guess a complete type. Ixxj?
    Rebecca Valentine- INTj????? I can't seem to get a clear impression of her.
    Tyr Anastazia- ISTj
    Seamus Harper- ENTp
    Trance Gemini- INFj
    Rev Bem- ISFp????
    Rommie- ENTj?

Feedback?

Creepy-bg

I think I like INFj for Trance... the rest I'll have to think about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Andromeda anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Rommie- ENTj? (maybe?) or ESTj?
    Actually, now that I think about it, Rommie may be more of an ESTj. I know an ENTj and she has doesn't seem very Rommie-like temperment or otherwise. So I think calling Rommie an ESTj may be a smidge more accurate.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyr LSI
    Beka SEE?
    Trance SEI > EII
    Dylan LSE with LIE powers
    Seamus Fe valuing, intuitive, not LII
    Rommie ESIish with computing power

I am skipping through the seasons and will add more later

Trance gets the most butchered character medal. She started out this chaotic good SEI type, who yes was childish (but at least she wasn't infantile *shivers*) but who was this kind of mysterious "good witch" who attempts to nudge other characters in the direction of goodness, which they may not see for what it is because her chaos could lead some to wonder if she's actually a psycho. The playful, mischievousness of the character basically is what gave it its charm. Then, the show makers decided transform her into a more docile, less witty, and actually more childish (given how infantile she becomes) character who no longer spontaneously influences the directions of other characters (and thus the overall journey) with little nudges here and there but is now basically recognized as someone who most definitely has the role of "intuitive guide" and who has seen one possible future and therefore has direct knowledge about what they should or shouldn't do. She becomes this very quiet Dylan-cheerleader who asks him the most childish questions so she can hear his "wise" and simplistic interpretations of things. I feel this relationship is somehow more flattering to some vision of heroic Dylan, but it basically meant robbing Trance of the essence of what made her character and of her character development. Rather than begin with young childish Trance and have her slowly grow up more over the course of the show, they instead abruptly switch her out with her "future self" who has already "failed" and has grown into a dull anime-like feminine mystical guide who rarely can interact with the plot other than by saying cryptic nonsense that makes the other characters ask if she's actually alluding the future she already knows about. Or she'll say these useless "wise" things like "if we're patient, everything will finish just the way it should."

Anyway, this is why typing her character is so difficult because it's an SEI who changes into a really poor imitation of an EII character.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-04-2020 at 07:58 PM.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I 'member this show. It was really good in the first two seasons, then for some reason they decided each episode had to be its own plotline and they completely abandoned Tyr's storyline and everything felt like filler. "Kevin Sorboed" I think is what they coined it. It's too bad. They should reboot it with new actors and a new storyline and keep Rommie because she's super hot.

I agree with beta ST for Tyr and Dylan as LSE.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah-hah

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I 'member this show. It was really good in the first two seasons, then for some reason they decided each episode had to be its own plotline and they completely abandoned Tyr's storyline and everything felt like filler. "Kevin Sorboed" I think is what they coined it. It's too bad. They should reboot it with new actors and a new storyline and keep Rommie because she's super hot.

I agree with beta ST for Tyr and Dylan as LSE.
    Yes I really like certain aspects of the show but it was indeed overwhelmed by Kevin Sorbo and his rather boring look-at-me heroics. Its morality is rather painfully similar to Hercules: The Legendary Journeys in which all situations are morally simple and Kevin Sorbo's character comes in to patronize everyone for failing to do the very obvious right thing. Then in some 1D way he seems to get an intellectual high off of how he was able to identify the painfully obvious most ethical thing and everyone else is "stupid" more or less, generally for valuing haha. These "Sorbo" morals involve vilifying so his hero character can make his "might does not make right!" statements. Anyway, I'm not actually sure every situation was morally simple in Andromeda, but it didn't matter since Sorbo's character declares those who are not in the moral right as "the bad guys" in almost every episode so it's not really about thinking through moral dilemmas anyway. I feel like the show needed just a tad more moral maturity (assume an older audience rather than the imagined rapt 12 year olds, eyes glued to the screen, hungry for Sorbo's next moral lesson lol).

Anyway, it sucks since basically it feels like Sorbo's character sets the bar for the other characters. They can't be more interesting or more intelligent or better at thinking through situations than his character it seems, which kind of limits character development for the lot of them while Sorbo's character has a boring hero's journey to embark on.