Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Socionics - Take Two

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's Wrong with Socionics - Take Two

Years ago, I was at a George Carlin show with a few friends. He was great and I laughed the whole way through the show. Then someone flashed a camera in his face. His response: "You flash that camera again and I'm going to stab you in the f**king neck." In socionics, this can only be classified as 'Se' - or at best, 'weak Fi/Fe.' Assume that this is not one instance, but an example of a regular, repeated pattern of behaviour (either way, logically, it doesn't really matter). In socionics, this is just someone 'exhibting Se' or 'weak ethical' functions', and whether the behaviour is healthy or dark is not relevant. There can even be something desirable about this, such that certain types are allowed to exhibit or pursue it. And that is one thing that bothers me about the theory. The dark triad of personality traits exists and I believe it has been proven empirically. Model A should not just sweep these traits under the rug, and simply assume that all behaviour is relative and therefore can be explained away. I also do not like that it is sometimes assumed in the theory that people who are moral in some way lack logical thinking. I find that there is ironically a basic lack of critical thinking on the part of the theory and the people who promote this assumption, as it is clearly not accurate. Anyway, I just think that there is something lacking in it, such that people shouldn't be rewarded for exhibiting dark traits such as cheating someone, or criminal behaviour, or stabbing someone in the back. Am I missing the boat here? Can someone please explain?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess what I'm saying is:

- If a person is genuinely logical in nature, they should be acknowledged as logical in the theory.
    - If a person is logical in nature, they should be acknowledged as logical for the right reasons.
    - If a person is evil in nature, the theory should identify their true nature.
    - If a person is not logical, they should not be identified as logical.
    - And if a person is good, they should be acknowledged as good (and for the right reasons).

And so on with every trait...

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"You flash that camera again and I'm going to stab you in the f**king neck."
    In socionics, this can only be classified as 'Se'

physical violence - Se, which all types have but some show more

> and whether the behaviour is healthy or dark is not relevant

the context - other factors besides types which may influence on the behavior - is important as changes possibilities what type may be there

so the wrong is how you understand what Socionics is

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is:

- If a person is genuinely logical in nature, they should be acknowledged as logical in the theory.
    - If a person is logical in nature, they should be acknowledged as logical for the right reasons.
    - If a person is evil in nature, the theory should identify their true nature.
    - If a person is not logical, they should not be identified as logical.
    - And if a person is good, they should be acknowledged as good (and for the right reasons).

And so on with every trait...
    Yeah the fact that there is HuMaN QuAlItY and HuMaN DeVeLoPmEnT does really throw a wrench in the whole thing as Socionics doesn't give people a good way to parse it with itself. It just makes itself out to be like MBTI, but more confusing, with its only saving graces being more information and the self-checkable consistency of ITR.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You just need to go back to the root of Socionics; it is a system that attempts to explain how people judge and perceive the world aka information metabolism.

It is not a set of behaviors, and there are many things more important regarding how a person actually acts than Socionics. Socionics is not all encompassing and it never will be, it is just a piece of the puzzle, if even that.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Years ago, I was at a George Carlin show with a few friends. He was great and I laughed the whole way through the show. Then someone flashed a camera in his face. His response: "You flash that camera again and I'm going to stab you in the f**king neck." In socionics, this can only be classified as 'Se' - or at best, 'weak Fi/Fe.' Assume that this is not one instance, but an example of a regular, repeated pattern of behaviour (either way, logically, it doesn't really matter). In socionics, this is just someone 'exhibting Se' or 'weak ethical' functions', and whether the behaviour is healthy or dark is not relevant. There can even be something desirable about this, such that certain types are allowed to exhibit or pursue it. And that is one thing that bothers me about the theory. The dark triad of personality traits exists and I believe it has been proven empirically. Model A should not just sweep these traits under the rug, and simply assume that all behaviour is relative and therefore can be explained away. I also do not like that it is sometimes assumed in the theory that people who are moral in some way lack logical thinking. I find that there is ironically a basic lack of critical thinking on the part of the theory and the people who promote this assumption, as it is clearly not accurate. Anyway, I just think that there is something lacking in it, such that people shouldn't be rewarded for exhibiting dark traits such as cheating someone, or criminal behaviour, or stabbing someone in the back. Am I missing the boat here? Can someone please explain?
    Model A is just an incredibly general model of all sorts of stuff that it tries to include (too much stuff yep). The model isn't correct as it is, but there is no such thing as "rewarding the dark traits" in it. I get your issue in a sense though: yeah the model doesn't deal with basic psychological ideas like what's healthy or not healthy behaviour, sure, but you can too easily replace such basic ideas and even commonsense knowledge of people too much with bullshit reasoning that can be generated at will from the overly general model where *literally* anything can be true

Note: ofc you could try and avoid the latter issue ("anything can be true") by proper operationalising but while you may be able to do that for a psychological experiment to check if there are actually some significant enough (even if weak) correlations (unproven atm), you cannot correctly operationalise the model for use in concrete situations.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Really, there should be no normative content whatsoever, so even calling all evil things weak ethical should not be done.

You are insisting normative elements should be taken into account by a theory that doesn't try to make normative claims. To me, that would only muddy the waters and worsen the current situation.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Really, there should be no normative content whatsoever, so even calling all evil things weak ethical should not be done.

You are insisting normative elements should be taken into account by a theory that doesn't try to make normative claims. To me, that would only muddy the waters and worsen the current situation.
    I don't buy this. Read the my latest post in the thread.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't buy this. Read the my latest post in the thread.
    I'm not sure exactly which angle to focus on to resolve your issue, but a question: is it socionics that explains away behavior as relative or its practioners? Another way to look at it might be that socionics doesn't have the power to explain it and people try to use it to fill in gaps anyway like folding dough.

But I understand your concern, at least I think. I won't defend it, I think it's the result of the interference of people's individual emotional calculus with the idea of socionics or mbti or whatever.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I'm not sure exactly which angle to focus on to resolve your issue, but a question: is it socionics that explains away behavior as relative or its practioners? Another way to look at it might be that socionics doesn't have the power to explain it and people try to use it to fill in gaps anyway like folding dough.

But I understand your concern, at least I think. I won't defend it, I think it's the result of the interference of people's individual emotional calculus with the idea of socionics or mbti or whatever.
    I agree with this. I also personally find it to be a good thing lol. Yes a system that fills in all the gaps explicitly for "why" like @Singu always complains about would be really amazing if it could be possible, but I think it would also take out the fun of understanding people for me. It would also have to get into things like presumptions about people's childhoods and explicitly state universal human values, which would make it seem overly humanistically biased and make it be taken less seriously in the general sense. It makes sense that something like pure Kryptonite for social interactions doesn't exist, and you wouldn't want it to anyway. There's so much to explore and discover in life, love and people.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    I agree with this. I also personally find it to be a good thing lol. Yes a system that fills in all the gaps explicitly for "why" like @Singu always complains about would be really amazing if it could be possible, but I think it would also take out the fun of understanding people for me. It would also have to get into things like presumptions about people's childhoods and explicitly state universal human values, which would make it seem overly humanistically biased and make it be taken less seriously in the general sense. It makes sense that something like pure Kryptonite for social interactions doesn't exist, and you wouldn't want it to anyway. There's so much to explore and discover in life, love and people.
    It's for the simple reason that if you can't explain "why", then you have no idea if it has anything to do with it or not.

Saying that there's a "type" is another way of saying that if someone is a certain way, then there's a very high probability that the person will be acting in the same way in the future. Which may be true.

But that's just an assumption that the person will be acting in the same or similar way in the future. It does in no way explain why he's acting in that way. It's just an attempt at predicting behavior and bypassing having to explain things. And a bad attempt at that, since true prediction isn't just expecting the same past trend to continue. Somebody may suddenly change his mind, and then what? The prediction then becomes impossible.

But you can explain why he changed his mind.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should give more background as to why I made the above post.

This thread was actually inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YT-MtAvbR8

I'm sorry, read between the lines here. What is this video (and therefore the MBTI) actually saying? It is implying that people who give to charities have a nice heart, but they don't have strong enough logic to see that what they are doing isn't rational. I.e., they are really good people at heart, but they are logically inept. And what is it implying about thinking types? It is saying that they are logically smart, but in some way actually like 'Scrooge' about money, giving to others, etc. I find this message idiotic. Even the ideas that the 'ENTP' was using as criticism against giving to charities were dumb. This seems to be the whole message about thinking and feeling in the MBTI. And then I realized if this applies to the MBTI, it probably applies to socionics as well. And if it applies to both, it is relevant to the people of this forum. Then there are therefore dark undertones to certain types and how they should act. I am sorry, I am good enough critical thinker to not buy into at least this notion of both theories. I honestly hope you would agree...
    Last edited by jason_m; 08-13-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread was actually inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YT-MtAvbR8

I'm sorry, read between the lines here. What is this video (and therefore the MBTI) actually saying? It is implying that people who give to charities have a nice heart, but they don't have strong enough logic to see that what they are doing isn't rational. I.e., they are really good people at heart, but they are logically inept. And what is it implying about thinking types? It is saying that they are logically smart, but in some way actually like 'Scrooge' about money, giving to others, etc. I find this message idiotic. Even the ideas that the 'ENTP' was using as criticism against giving to charities were dumb. This seems to be the whole message about thinking and feeling in the MBTI. And then I realized if this applies to the MBTI, it probably applies to socionics as well. And if it applies to both, it is relevant to the people of this forum. Then there are therefore dark undertones to certain types and how they should act. I am sorry, I am good enough critical thinker to not buy into at least this notion of both theories. I honestly hope you would agree...
    Well the problem is observing a certain trait in people, and extrapolating to all of their personalities. You can't know 100% of their personality traits, unless you observed 100%, which is practically impossible.

The fact is that people are logical some of the time, people are feeling some of the time, but definitely not all of the time. It depends on the appropriateness of the situation, etc. It's very doubtful that someone will be emotional when he's trying to solve some logical problems, and it's very doubtful that someone will be logical when he's listening to some music.

Stereotypes of "ENTP" and "ISFJ" can exist. But it's doubtful that that's how they act all of the time. They may change their minds, they may change over time, they may learn new things that make them see things in different ways. The most important of all, it doesn't explain why they're behaving that way.

My personal view is that people don't differ in their ability to be logical and rational. But some people may have less feelings, or even are just less aware of their own feelings and the feelings of others.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Well the problem is observing a certain trait in people, and extrapolating to all of their personalities. You can't know 100% of their personality traits, unless you observed 100%, which is practically impossible.

The fact is that people are logical some of the time, people are feeling some of the time, but definitely not all of the time. It depends on the appropriateness of the situation, etc. It's very doubtful that someone will be emotional when he's trying to solve some logical problems, and it's very doubtful that someone will be logical when he's listening to some music.
    Actually emotions and rationality in the prefrontal lobe can work together (see Damasio's classic work on this subject).

Metacognition theories do introduce the idea of an "affective regulatory loop" that utilises *emotion* for executive functioning.

And so on.

Stereotypes of "ENTP" and "ISFJ" can exist. But it's doubtful that that's how they act all of the time. They may change their minds, they may change over time, they may learn new things that make them see things in different ways. The most important of all, it doesn't explain why they're behaving that way.

My personal view is that people don't differ in their ability to be logical and rational. But some people may have less feelings, or even are just less aware of their own feelings and the feelings of others.
    What makes you think that people are all the same in terms of "cold objective" rationality and differ in terms of feelings? That to me didn't sound all that logical

I would say the easiest way to refute this idea is think of the stereotypical male vs stereotypical female. Yes those are stereotypes and how your brain works doesn't depend all that strictly on whether you have a penis or a vagina but there are actual differences in the brains of people regarding "masculine" and "feminine" stuff. Ofc it's an individual mix of different skills/traits for everyone.

It's for the simple reason that if you can't explain "why", then you have no idea if it has anything to do with it or not.

Saying that there's a "type" is another way of saying that if someone is a certain way, then there's a very high probability that the person will be acting in the same way in the future. Which may be true.

But that's just an assumption that the person will be acting in the same or similar way in the future. It does in no way explain why he's acting in that way. It's just an attempt at predicting behavior and bypassing having to explain things. And a bad attempt at that, since true prediction isn't just expecting the same past trend to continue. Somebody may suddenly change his mind, and then what? The prediction then becomes impossible.

But you can explain why he changed his mind.
    The socionics model does attempt to explain things, it's another issue altogether that the explanations are not holding up.

What @Heretic 007 said is an ok way to look at it. So no don't expect an actual explanation beyond what that can offer - though in my opinion even those explanations do not hold up well.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

That's not really the whole message about Thinking/Feeling, but it does conflate several factors together in these preferences and that can end up being a problem when trying to apply it to actual situations. This is true both for MBTI and Socionics.

If I were you, I would ask why you got hung up on this issue personally. Does it touch on something for you personally? Think about that IMO instead of analysing these theories. Perhaps think about it with the help of someone else, a friend, a therapist, etc.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    That's not really the whole message about Thinking/Feeling, but it does conflate several factors together in these preferences and that can end up being a problem when trying to apply it to actual situations. This is true both for MBTI and Socionics.

If I were you, I would ask why you got hung up on this issue personally. Does it touch on something for you personally?
    Honestly, I don't like it because, if I come to the conclusion that I'm thinking type, I have to admit that I'm some sort of miser with giving to charities, etc. If I come to the conclusion that I'm feeling type, I have to admit that I'm illogical, weak critical thinker, etc. I don't like either conclusion. But you're right - there are probably several factors that are conflated that's causing it. My theory:

1) You either like giving to charities or you don't.
    2) If you give, you either give in a rational/calculated way, or you do not.

- I like giving, but I prefer to give in a way that is calculated - having certain principles of giving, limits to what I give, etc.

Those two are probably conflated and cause a problem...

I also can't come to a conclusion, because, at the back of my mind, I feel that anything is possible - "in principle, even some of the best theories can be overturned." That makes it very hard to come to a solid conclusion.
    Last edited by jason_m; 08-14-2019 at 12:17 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't like it because, if I come to the conclusion that I'm thinking type, I have to admit that I'm some sort of miser with giving to charities, etc. If I come to the conclusion that I'm feeling type, I have to admit that I'm illogical, weak critical thinker, etc. I don't like either conclusion.
    Hmm as far as I recall, Jung described Feeling types as being able to think and use logic just fine, otoh their Thinking is usually kind of borrowed rather than truly creating them with own Thinking. Tho' ofcourse they can create some too, it's just not their real mode of being. Also, their Thinking is subjected to adjustment to Feeling values, so, a Feeling type would not like to think about cold inhumane thoughts / it feels cold to them in a way it does not feel to a Thinking type. This does mean they are less of a truly critical thinker than a Thinking type but a Feeling type would not actually want to be as much of such a critical thinker since again, they'd find that too cold and not humane enough / the criticality would feel overdone to them. This is how the theory goes. Modern scientific studies have shown that Jung was correct as far as neuronal networks for mechanical logic will end up inhibiting the networks for the social (humane) approach and vice versa, under the right circumstances. They also show that the two approaches of rationality and emotionality intertwine in a crucially important way for much of basic functioning / executive functioning too, which way can be viewed as compatible with some of Jung's ideas again.

If we go by this theory, then I do think you'd be a Feeling type btw because you focus more on human and personal factors in evaluating this issue. As far as the theory is any good, aside from scientific results, you can definitely see distinct preferences for some people. Not necessarily an easily visible preference for all people and I wouldn't be able to tell you why - the theory could be wrong with the idea that everyone has a distinct preference, or it's hard to detect with some bc they are close to being fully balanced.

But you're right - there are probably several factors that are conflated that's causing it. My theory:

1) You either like giving to charities or you don't.
    2) If you give, you either give in a rational/calculated way, or you do not.

- I like giving, but I prefer to give in a way that is calculated - having certain principles of giving, limits to what I give, etc.

Those two are probably conflated and cause a problem...
    I agree, these are two different things in your list. 1) Whether someone likes to give barely depends on the Thinking/Feeling preference really. As for 2)... Well like I said Feeling types have logic too according to the theory

I also can't come to a conclusion, because, at the back of my mind, I feel that anything is possible - "in principle, even some of the best theories can be overturned." That makes it very hard to come to a solid conclusion.
    That's true, they can be overturned with new data. But I do think there is a real world so some statements we make are connected with how things actually are... it can't all be randomly changed around

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default or maybe the instigator is the shit head

socionics interpersonal > intrapersonal, one of its best points imo

excellent interpersonal solution: DON'T FLASH THE CAMERA AT A PERSON'S FACE
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So according to theory Carlin was probably LSI.

You can generate multiple other ways LSI could operate in similar situation (so called wiggle room).

If I have understood correctly you have also studied physics. If you have went into Lagrangian stuff you have probably encountered multiple pendulums and such which are chaotic (but deterministic) because even small change in initial conditions generate vastly different behaviors. This is the analogy which might generate various reactions in certain someone because I'm not aware of all initial conditions.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes you think that people are all the same in terms of "cold objective" rationality and differ in terms of feelings? That to me didn't sound all that logical

I would say the easiest way to refute this idea is think of the stereotypical male vs stereotypical female. Yes those are stereotypes and how your brain works doesn't depend all that strictly on whether you have a penis or a vagina but there are actual differences in the brains of people regarding "masculine" and "feminine" stuff. Ofc it's an individual mix of different skills/traits for everyone.
    I don't think people differ in their ability to be logical and objective. Some people may have faster CPU, more RAM/HDD, but that's just the speed in which people do things. They don't differ in their ability to be able to perform fundamental, elementary operations (basically pure logic), which allow them to perform more complex operations. If people differ in their thinking, then that has more to do with software. Basically there's a computer hardware, and you can install virtually any kind of OSes and software on it. There's no limit as to what can be potentially installed, if there's no limit to memory.

I think emotions are more software than hardware.

I think there are differences between men and women, but I think that has more to do with differences between psychological masculine/feminine. For example, gay men are more similar in their psychology to straight women. There are some structural differences in the brain, but I still think that's more software than hardware.

The socionics model does attempt to explain things, it's another issue altogether that the explanations are not holding up.
    Sure it "explains" things... by saying that what has been observed in the past will repeat again in the future. So you might say that a certain behavior is explained by Alpha Ti. But what that's really saying is that "Alpha Ti" behavior has been observed before, and it has been observed again now. So it's saying that the current behavior "fits" the past behavior, and this is supposed to "confirm" the past observation. Sure, but that doesn't explain anything.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

@Singu you know I've seen you entertain logical arguments without letting feelings get in the way, but this post of yours was incredibly biased and illogical. You simply have a preconception and then you ignore all facts that go against it.

1. There is no reason or fact that would support your statement that people are equal in their hardware for doing objective logic.

I know that's not a politically correct statement and for some reason you wanna be PC here. : p

But: when it's said that someone doesn't do objective (or formal) logic as much it doesn't mean that they cannot do other approaches to solve tasks... they can.

Like, with creativity, insight, visual thinking, using whatever other abstract conceptual ideas, I don't know. All that can work. Or even a simple physical approach, experientially based approaches or trial and error or even muscle memory can work just as much.

So consider that.

2. You didn't read it where I said that the brain structures do not depend on your biological sex per se, there is a correlation but no more than that.

Gay men being feminine doesn't support or prove your argument fully about the differences - that exist on *average* - between men and women being psychological only or brain structure being software.

There actually are hardware differences in the masculine vs feminine brain. How the fuck are *structural differences* purely software to you?

Go ahead with what you even mean by software really if you see it that way.
    Because right now you just use it in some incredibly undefined way.

But also. Please go look up the science on all this.

3. And the other thing you didn't read: I said that the socionics explanations don't hold up. Reread. And yes, socionics does try to explain beyond "what was observed will repeat again", it just doesn't hold up. But we were through this before. You do not want to see that part of socionics. But you don't need to bc it's bogus explanations anyway.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. And the other thing you didn't read: I said that the socionics explanations don't hold up. Reread. And yes, socionics does try to explain beyond "what was observed will repeat again", it just doesn't hold up. But we were through this before. You do not want to see that part of socionics. But you don't need to bc it's bogus explanations anyway.
    The problem with Socionics, as always, is that it's a classification/categorization system without explanations.

You can't explain things from classifications. For example, in biology, limited taxonomy, or even a lot of taxonomies, can't explain all of biology. Only the theory of evolution can explain all of biology. The theory of evolution is an explanation, not a classification.

In the same way, you can't explain human behavior from classifications. What is the ultimate explanation that can explain all of human behavior? We have found no such explanation yet. We need a new "Darwin" moment or "Newton" moment.

Socionics attempts to explain human behavior from classifications, or "Model A". But the fact is that you can't explain anything from Model A or any of the functions.

You can only make things fit to an already existing classification, which is basically what everybody is doing with Socionics.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

The problem with Socionics, as always, is that it's a classification/categorization system without explanations.
    There are explanations too, but it's fine if you skip them - I also skip them because they are bogus for the most part.

The classifications are also bogus too yeah. Someone else from the forum called it false categories, I found that a good phrase.

What is the ultimate explanation that can explain all of human behavior? We have found no such explanation yet. We need a new "Darwin" moment or "Newton" moment.
    Except it's going to take more than a Darwin or Newton moment. More complex than that.

You can only make things fit to an already existing classification, which is basically what everybody is doing with Socionics.
    That is not what I was doing with Socionics, hence I ended up refuting its explanations I guess. : p

PS: Not surprised you skipped on explaining what you meant by structural differences in the brain being purely software lol

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are explanations too, but it's fine if you skip them - I also skip them because they are bogus for the most part.

The classifications are also bogus too yeah. Someone else from the forum called it false categories, I found that a good phrase.
    How do you explain from classifications?

I mean, there are literally no explanations in Model A, functions, types, quadras, Reinin dichotomies... they're all classifications.

Except it's going to take more than a Darwin or Newton moment. More complex than that.
    When people were busy classifying all the different species into taxonomies in biology, they were quite confused and overwhelmed and thought that they could never make sense out of it all. But the theory of evolution was so succinctly simple and elegant that it could actually explain and make sense out it all. It even explained things outside of biology, which makes it an even more objective and universal explanation.

PS: Not surprised you skipped on explaining what you meant by structural differences in the brain being purely software lol
    There's no real such thing as fundamentally different "structural differences" in computers, as all computers are based on elementary mathematical and logical principles, or the Turing principle. And since the computer can compute anything that the physical object can possibly compute (that's the theory), the brain is no different.

So what I mean is, the brain is the hardware, and everything that's running in it is the software. Things like consciousness, emotions are all software. So it looks like nature has been the programmer of our brain, programming things into our brain via evolution.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain makes consciousness will be found to be false.

There actually is little direct evidence that brain creates consciousness and I know because I have been reading research on it since before you started highschool.

Where is consciousness, in the synamptic clefts? Strung along a collection of neruons?

Did you know they don't even know how anesthesia works to turn off consciousness?

God scientists are so arrogant when they claim that nature has been understood and mapped in entirety.

I find myself hating you guys.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
    Brain makes consciousness will be found to be false.

There actually is little direct evidence that brain creates consciousness and I know because I have been reading research on it since before you started highschool.

Where is consciousness, in the synamptic clefts? Strung along a collection of neruons?

Did you know they don't even know how anesthesia works to turn off consciousness?

God scientists are so arrogant when they claim that nature has been understood and mapped in entirety.

I find myself hating you guys.
    If someone claimed that nature has been understood and mapped in entirety, that was not a scientist.

Or was a completely idiotic one stating their own personal subjective opinion.

Actual science does *not* try to have this claim nope.

As for consciousness: it is not explained by science, no. But if there'll be an explanation one day (idk), then it will not be this type of simplified reductionism - science makes more complex explanations than this (luckily).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone claimed that nature has been understood and mapped in entirety, that was not a scientist.

Or was a completely idiotic one stating their own personal subjective opinion.

Actual science does *not* try to have this claim nope.

As for consciousness: it is not explained by science, no. But if there'll be an explanation one day (idk), then it will not be this type of simplified reductionism - science makes more complex explanations than this (luckily).
    Thank God, there is hope for you still.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
    Thank God, there is hope for you still.
    wat lol, idk if you tried to pigeonhole me into some category : p

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Yeah I mean Singu it was really fucking weird and ridiculous when you said the people creating taxonomies in biology mustve felt overwhelmed and confused .... or that science is just about bold guesses.

What's the closest you ever actually got to science in reality, Singu? Did you ever deal with actual science? (I have, yeah.)

And why am I surprised that you didn't respond to it when I exposed you to the fact that it's people who you quoted from doing the classifications, and not the Socionics model itself.

Or any of the last 2 posts from me in this thread : p

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm not aware if any socionists have used operationalized definitions with the data they collected, or if they have they haven't released any of it into mainstream socionics. This is the main reason socionics is not scientific yet, by far.

You could of course create some definitions, collect data, and then tweak the definitions of the types after you find the statistically meaningful traits based on the results, which is how Big 5 traits were gleaned more or less, although with less extensive descriptions as what Socionics has for the 16 types. But they aren't that ambitious over there I guess heheh.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

That sortof has been done with Oldham's/Millon's personality sytems, which are based on all the research that was checked and evaluated by professionals creating the versions of DSM/Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Funnily enough they got almost 16 personality types - and I think someone (unofficially) tried to extend them to 16 from the original 14 then 15 types after Millon added a 15th type.

And again, funnily enough, Oldham's and Millon's descriptions and analyses of these types do often coincide with Socionics types. Not always though. But quite often it's funny how similar it ends up in aspects.

This despite them never working by the ideas from Jung or MBTI or whatever. Their approach is the most scientific currently since it builds on all that research and observation by researches and by practicing therapists etc too.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Myst, kinda disappointed that you've already given up the fight without you having to explain anything. Not that I really care.

Anyway, you say that Socionics is wrong, but you can't really explain why it's wrong. You just think that "science" will somehow prove it wrong and that the authorities of "science" will bring down the judgement. Ironically this is the kind of thing that make people accuse it of being "scientism".

I already know why it's wrong. You're not going to make Socionics "more scientific" by making it more statistical.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Wow Myst, kinda disappointed that you've already given up the fight without you having to explain anything. Not that I really care.

Anyway, you say that Socionics is wrong, but you can't really explain why it's wrong. You just think that "science" will somehow prove it wrong and that the authorities of "science" will bring down the judgement. Ironically this is the kind of thing that make people accuse it of being "scientism".

I already know why it's wrong. You're not going to make Socionics "more scientific" by making it more statistical.
    No, Singu, I just do not debate with an idiot.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Singu, I just do not debate with an idiot.
    Yeah sure, that's what a scientist does. Make ad hominem insults but never explain anything lol.

I mean look, "operationalizing" doesn't solve the fundamental problem. Operationalization is as good what it's linking to. You might say that VI, self-reports and questionnaires are operationalizations. Or you could somehow make them measurable.

But you still don't know how typing works, or exactly why should Fe and Ti be complimentary and not conflicting and so on. Those things are not explained, because it's lacking in theories that can explain their causal mechanisms.
    Last edited by Singu; 08-29-2019 at 04:03 PM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Yeah sure, that's what a scientist does. Make ad hominem insults but never explain anything lol.

I mean look, "operationalizing" doesn't solve the fundamental problem. Operationalization is as good what it's linking to. You might say that VI, self-reports and questionnaires are operationalizations. Or you could somehow make them measurable.

But you still don't know how typing works, or exactly why should Fe and Ti be complimentary and not conflicting and so on. Those things are not explained, because it's lacking in theories that can explain their causal mechanisms.
    We went through all this 1000 times and I dislike your dishonesty in presenting it as if I had never tried to explain all this.

And I could've and would've said way more about all of it if we hadn't got stuck at that phase.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You obviously can't also claim to be able to classify an entire population and entire modes of cognition into just 16 types and 8 functions.
    I think you can. People really aren't as unique or special or original as they narcissistically think of themselves. You are just a basic bitch cookie cutter type. You do have unique differences, but the macro patterns are what other people are going to notice more objectively, not the micro differences.

To be apt at socionics, you have to always be thinking about socionics while at the same time thinking of how certain traits &
    idiosyncrasies are not socionically related. Of even if they are in a way, there is so much other evidence that will color the complexity of who a person is. It doesn't mean socionics isn't real, it just means that socionics is connected onto a much larger universe. I think four dimensional Ti types (or maybe just LII?) often get into this trap or mental prison where they think , this specific quality HAS to neatly fit with this quadra or that person is not this quadra etc- its like their strong Ti way of trying to make sense of everything. But then a SEE or IEE is good at pointing out how that person is being unfairly misunderstood or prejudged based on their socionic type.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We went through all this 1000 times and I dislike your dishonesty in presenting it as if I had never tried to explain all this.

And I could've and would've said way more about all of it if we hadn't got stuck at that phase.
    lol, the only dishonesty is you giving insults all the time and never having explained anything...

Let's say that you've found a fool-proof way of "operationalizing" all of this, and now there's a way to 100% accurately type people.

Let's say that we test it out. How would this be scientifically invalidated, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    I think you can. People really aren't as unique or special or original as they narcissistically think of themselves. You are just a basic bitch cookie cutter type. You do have unique differences, but the macro patterns are what other people are going to notice more objectively, not the micro differences.

Well technically, you can categorize anything in any kind of arbitrary ways. The keyword being arbitrary, which means it won't likely be true to reality. And if it's not true to reality, then it can't be predicted as it is claimed on ITR and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    To be apt at socionics, you have to always be thinking about socionics while at the same time thinking of how certain traits & idiosyncrasies are not socionically related. Of even if they are in a way, there is so much other evidence that will color the complexity of who a person is. It doesn't mean socionics isn't real, it just means that socionics is connected onto a much larger universe.

I don't understand how people can say that "Yes this area is Socionically related, but this area isn't" (is anything ever found to be Socionically related, after all?).

If something can't be explained Socionically... then it will be explained by some other framework that has nothing to do with Socionics. Which is to say that the Socionics framework is likely wrong. Or it is irrelevant, anyhow, since it can't explain anything with it.

Yes, Feeling, Thinking, Intuition, Sensing are all "real", since they're descriptions of persons via another person. But what likely gets it wrong is that they only exist in lop-sided ways in a person. So just because you have feelings, don't mean that thinking don't exist. Or just because you're thinking, doesn't mean that you're automatically logical and objective all the time (look at all the irrational, illogical, non-factual so-called "T types" on this forum...).

I mean yeah, those tendencies can exist, but they're not the rule. And what makes it something a "rule" and something isn't? Well they'd have to be found via theories.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess it's similar to how novelists must feel when people come up to them with these romantic notions of what it means to be a writer assuming inspiration falls from the sky without any kind of deliberation on their part. . .

As a writer, inspiration actually does just seem to come out of the blue once in a while for me. But actually writing something that people enjoy or are interested in (or hell even if they openly mock and insult it, there's no such thing as bad publicity and they are just indirectly helping me sell my books), I am kind of in this zen balancing act of using my own unique perception combined with an empathetic understanding of how other people think. And yes, of course, it does take work and effort. Cognitive empathy isn't really my strong suit, I'm much better with affective empathy. But I seem to receive more objectively positive results when I combine my two-dimensional Ti with cognitive empathy. (but I still have my own unique narcissistic perception and highly natural or 'magical' affective empathy, otherwise there would be no hook to my stories)

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Singu "But you still don't know how typing works, or exactly why should Fe and Ti be complimentary and not conflicting and so on. Those things are not explained, because it's lacking in theories that can explain their causal mechanisms."

Oppositely-charged elements attract. There's a simple link to physical science. The rest of the theory links to it as well. I'm sure you could find a bunch of other ways socionics is linked to contemporary psychological science later on after you manage to find 16 distinct operationally defined types that correspond to the 16 types.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Oppositely-charged elements attract. There's a simple link to physical science. The rest of the theory links to it as well. I'm sure you could find a bunch of other ways socionics is linked to contemporary psychological science later on after you manage to find 16 distinct operationally defined types that correspond to the 16 types.
    Then that can't explain when there are times Fe and Ti don't get along well. So you'd have to bring in ad-hoc modifications, like "That has to do with other, non-Socionics factors".

Fe/Ti simply can't be the cause for why people get along or don't get along. It has to be explained in some other ways that have nothing to do with Socionics, if we were to be more consistent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast