23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rembrandt van Rijn

"Painting is the grandchild of nature. It is related to God."

"
    A painting is finished when the artist says it is finished."

"
    What an infinitely sympathetic painting. This is the essence of Rembrandt's genius. It's his sympathy for humankind which makes his art eternal." [Van Gogh on "The Jewish Bride"]

"
    Rembrandt was himself a universal spirit, and this spirit informs everything that he painted, so that a biblical legend, a carcass of an ox, a naked woman, his own self-portrait — all stand as symbols of an all-embracing sympathy. Perhaps only Shakespeare, in another art, has that kind of universal intelligence." [Sir Herbert Read]

"
    His temperament was that of a Prophet — a God-possessed man, brother to Dostoevski, and teeming with the future, a future he bore within him as the Hebrew prophets bore within them the coming of the Messiah, and as he bore within himself the past." [Andre Malreaux]

Perhaps Fi and Se valuing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Rembrandt was himself a universal spirit, and this spirit informs everything that he painted, so that a biblical legend, a carcass of an ox, a naked woman, his own self-portrait — all stand as symbols of an all-embracing sympathy. Perhaps only Shakespeare, in another art, has that kind of universal intelligence." [Sir Herbert Read]
    This is a very high compliment to make of a man.

He VIs as a Si type to me. Something about those large dewy eyes. My Dutch parent Van Do________ inherited those type of eyes and fleshy face. I'll end up with eyes like that by the time 50s swoop in.

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marep View Post
    SLI
    I believe that an Si-ego painter would have gone in the exact opposite direction that Rembrandt took. Raphael was was probably Si-ego and he had a style that was almost the antithesis of Rembrandt. The two painters lived in very different times, but nevertheless.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rembrandt had perceptual differences due to eye condition.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se/Ni is definitely there, though I'm not quite sure in what order. His primary influences were Caravaggio and Rubens (SLE and EIE, respectively). In his lifetime he had amassed an impressive collection of art, relics and oddities from all over the world. His many (self-)portraits and extensive use of family and friends as models shows a great interest in the world immediately around him and a need to tell his own story. He had success as an art dealer and had a great number of pupils.
    Gamma SF and Beta NF are the only types I can see for Rembrandt, from what we (or I, at least) know of him.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rembrandt van Rijn - INTJ - Robespierre ?