Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Utility

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Utility

    Do you feel as if socionics has made you more capable of relating to others? Has it made it worse in any way?

  2. #2
    عالم نفسي thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,061
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More, because I know what kinds of things you can't change about a person, and how to appeal to them or at least not trigger them too badly (if you want to, that is).

  3. #3
    aster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find myself relating differently to others after discovering ITR. I feel more divided now than I ever have from certain people tbh. Nothing as much as being told I have a ‘conflictor’. But Quadra’s also. It seems to me a bit excluding. I don’t really like it, I’ve always been a group drifter. Before I related to people better, or I felt like I could relate to anyone if I tried hard enough. then I learned about all these Ti relations and they feel like walls and that makes me sad and kind of resentful of ITR. So I don’t fully embrace them. I find myself relieved irl when people have no clue about Socionics tbh. I feel like when people know my type (or what they believe it to be) and they act a certain way towards me that they are suppose to regarding ITR, and if they get mad at me or someone they change the type to account for it, or if they change their type, their attitude towards me or others can change. It explains things in a cold and robotic way and people have the tendency to abuse it for their own rationalizations. It can create a kind of drama on sites such as these. But it is interesting when they play out irl and people are clueless, and I can kind of assess.
    Tumblr

    “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”
    ~Karl

  4. #4
    Ragdoll Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    TIM
    0-D ISTp sx/sp
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manno View Post
    Do you feel as if socionics has made you more capable of relating to others? Has it made it worse in any way?
    I don't know if I'm more capable of relating to others tbh, but I'm more able to understand better the motivations and actions of those around me (and thus feel less neurotic and judgmental -knowledge about hidden processes brings me peace and open new possibilities for actions and solutions). No, its not worse in any way in my daily life (besides this forum).

  5. #5
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics classification system was a catalyst that caused me to develop my own model. This gave me better understanding of people's behaviour but did nothing to help me relate or interact; knowledge of type is of little help to someone with limited social inclinations. It did enhance my natural ability to plan; I got better at putting project teams together - and I was better able to choose a mate who could actually tolerate me over the long term.......

    a.k.a. I/O

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,398
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I find myself relating differently to others after discovering ITR. I feel more divided now than I ever have from certain people tbh. Nothing as much as being told I have a ‘conflictor’. But Quadra’s also. It seems to me a bit excluding. I don’t really like it, I’ve always been a group drifter. Before I related to people better, or I felt like I could relate to anyone if I tried hard enough. then I learned about all these Ti relations and they feel like walls and that makes me sad and kind of resentful of ITR. So I don’t fully embrace them. I find myself relieved irl when people have no clue about Socionics tbh. I feel like when people know my type (or what they believe it to be) and they act a certain way towards me that they are suppose to regarding ITR, and if they get mad at me or someone they change the type to account for it, or if they change their type, their attitude towards me or others can change. It explains things in a cold and robotic way and people have the tendency to abuse it for their own rationalizations. It can create a kind of drama on sites such as these. But it is interesting when they play out irl and people are clueless, and I can kind of assess.
    I can tell you that the effects of ITR are not real, lol.

    Sure, you may think that it's real, but it's all subjective. The fact is that people project things about people when they don't know much about them to "fill in the gaps". It could be Socionics, or it could be something else. It could be true or it could be wrong.

    I used to think that "Oh, this person has X PoLR, therefore I must be careful of this, and try to appease to them of their valued-functions". Now, I don't give a shit, and for good reasons. People do not actually have PoLRs, I don't have a PoLR, and you can't hurt me in that way. It's true, you may think so, and subjectively change your behavior towards them.

    So for instance, what "type" are you, aster? What Quadra are you in? I don't know, I don't care. I can perhaps intuitively glean that you might be a bit of a sensitive person, but that's the extent of it, and I might change my behavior towards you accordingly. Or I might know your political affiliation, or I might think "is she my friend or my enemy?", etc.

    But it's funny, isn't it, since all I did was change my perception of you, but you didn't actually change "you".

    How I'm going to be acting towards you or anyone else is going to depend on what I know about them. And that is all a theory in the end.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    else
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics is a thing, it could have been any other thing though. Eh, time I guess.

  8. #8
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    TIM
    eyy
    Posts
    3,141
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    overall, no interrelationship utility to report, no benefit, no changes.

    if anything, it makes knowing someone a more shallow process, more opportunistic, and less spontaneous. not great things when we deal with people.

    one problem, among many, is how we're supposed to behave a certain way because of theories and statistics. but theories and statistics don't cover all at all times. the odds are always there, and I'd rather be a part of them than conform to something that limits my experience.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,677
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Tbh, it has a more negative effect on me than anything and makes me think most ppl are just going to use it as a tool to solidify their hatred and dislike of others even further, as it gives them yet another easy excuse why they can't get over their narcissism and get along with others lol. Not that it would necessarily be any better if socionics didn't exist tho.

    I can use it as a tool to get along with others personally tho, but I feel manipulative and like crap when I do so. It does work often tho, just feed somebody their dual seeking function fakely, and they will warm up to you. I don't like doing this often tho, as it does require you to be a Machiellivian rat to do so. And over time they would be in on it too probably (or quicker, depending on how bright they were), and sense something isn't right and you are not being yourself/playing a game with them.

  10. #10
    fka lungs ashlesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Posts
    14,035
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just use it to add shorthand to other traits. Like my coworker who is organized, timid, and seems softhearted becomes "EII" in lieu of summarizing everything else.

    I still behave the same with no manipulation or attempts to please based on type and no predictions that I wouldn't have made otherwise based on observable personality. Even though those uses seem absurd to me, I'm sure they do work, depending on the cleverness and observation skills of the agent in the first place.

  11. #11
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    1,777
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sort of like asking if having a gym membership is helping you to lose weight


    happily dating non-dual, it’s like bringing frying pan and eggs and making breakfast in the gym lobby and still losing weight much to the horror of myself and others

  12. #12
    fka lungs ashlesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Posts
    14,035
    Mentioned
    762 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Sort of like asking if having a gym membership is helping you to lose weight


    happily dating non-dual, it’s like bringing frying pan and eggs and making breakfast in the gym lobby and still losing weight much to the horror of myself and others
    I've been dating your dual

  13. #13
    a two horned unicorn renegade Heretic 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Logical supermacy torturing So(u)ls
    TIM
    ILE-C-I
    Posts
    4,470
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Sort of like asking if having a gym membership is helping you to lose weight


    happily dating non-dual, it’s like bringing frying pan and eggs and making breakfast in the gym lobby and still losing weight much to the horror of myself and others

    Clearly a business relationship. Just my 2 cents (inflation corrected from the date of origin of the saying).
    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx
    I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.


    Due to Fi PoLR do not send PM's, please. 50/50 likelihood to get a reply if I'm going to even read your messages. Let's keep things public.

  14. #14
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    1,777
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist 007 View Post
    Clearly a business relationship. Just my 2 cents (inflation corrected from the date of origin of the saying).
    If Fi is relationships and yin is yang then Te is also relationships.... that means all relationships are business relationships

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •