Thread: Fi & Ti as social functions

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi & Ti as social functions

It seems to me Fi is so much about people. By contrast, is Ti a more individualistic function? Would Fi be smoother, in a way, and would Ti be this need-to-assert-oneself thing, in a way?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti is about systems. Ti is about people in so far as they can be understood as a system.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    It seems to me Fi is so much about people.
    all functions are about people
    F is about emotions of people

> Ti a more individualistic function?

all introverted functions are subjective
    the term "individualistic" is not correct, as by introverted functions people care about others not lesser than by extraverted functions

> Would Fi be smoother, in a way, and would Ti be this need-to-assert-oneself thing, in a way?

the difference is _what_ functions assert
    Fi ego people assert emotional comfort, while Ti ego - laws, rules. the both press other people in similar degree

if a function is unvalued, then you may perceive the way it's asserted to you more negatively and such rationalize that with more pressing as you'd prefer it was expressed lesser for you. but it's a perception, not objective

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're both "control" functions in a way, functions that give boundaries to what would otherwise be endless variation, and so concern the social realm insofar as it can be organized according to a cohesive and evolving set of precepts/principles. But I wouldn't call them "social functions" in the strict sense, i.e. while Fi concerns people generally it still isn't bound by any parameters outside of what Te provides, which is just logical continuity and hence doesn't impinge on the actual integrity of its judgments/conclusions. Likewise for Ti with Fe, in a different way. I think IJs simply unconsciously know that they are anchors of sorts, and so approach the social realm accordingly.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually learn people by their own inherent reactions/mechanisms.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fi is my own ethics and navigation of
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti isn’t of itself “assertive” or has much to do with people unless you bring in Fe. Since i think your question has more to do with the superficial appearance of Ti egos rather than how it ‘really is,’ Ti is characterized as preferring rigid, immutable logic, and likes to produce fully fleshed-out, entirely logically consistent frameworks for understanding the world. If a Ti ego believes he’s arrived at this, there’s little further room for doubt. He’ll usually will state these conceptions matter-of-factly; the fact that he’s wrong won’t even cross his mind. These ideas won’t be put forward as up for debate or consideration; others are to take them as they are or prove themselves stupid, because the reasoning is obviously crystal clear and unshakable — so thinks the Ti type. Outside of times like this though it really depends on the individual and the situation.

So, in this sense, Ti can be sort of be assertive. Beyond that, Beta STs have a reputation for cockiness and assertiveness, but that’s Se, not Ti.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 08-01-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fi is about rationalization based on relative valuations (of which people are part) but it certainly isn't social in the group-hug sense as it is with Fe; Ti is no more individualist or detached than Fi, and Fi certainly does assert itself. Ti may seem colder because it deals in absolutes, but Fi can be dead cold when assigning value and can write off people as easily as Ti. Ti-types may think that their rationalization is superior to that of others, but they don't usually believe that they hold the moralistic high ground like Fi-types tend to do; Fi-types may choose to be in social groups but they also tend to be very mentally aloof from them - even though they won't normally display aloof behaviour......

a.k.a. I/O