Thread: INTjs picking up on movie plots

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default INTjs picking up on movie plots

I've noticed LIIs pick up on movie plots quite well no matter how complicated and confusing the plot is. I've always had a problem with this, but they always amaze me with how quickly they know what's going on in movies and books and stuff, and also their rote memorization of facts and trivia seems superhuman like in its accurate-ness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I've noticed LIIs pick up on movie plots quite well no matter how complicated and confusing the plot is. I've always had a problem with this, but they always amaze me with how quickly they know what's going on in movies and books and stuff, and also their rote memorization of facts and trivia seems superhuman like in its accurate-ness.
    With movie plots I've noticed this as well, and people often conclude (erroneously) I must have seen the movie before. I would posit that the predominant element that assists/enables the LII to see the overall plot is Ne.

With respect to the facts and trivia, it really depends on the subject: as to the few topics I find interest in, then yes, I do have a large storage of facts. But as to most other topics, I don't care too much about memorizing details and facts, most of which I find irrelevant. Also, I am absolutely terrible at remembering certain things--such as names of people I've recently met. Other things I have no recollection of are friends'/girlfriends' eye color, what someone was wearing yesterday, etc. One time it took me a week to notice a family member wasn't wearing glasses anymore! Weak S ftw.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSV3 View Post
    With movie plots I've noticed this as well, and people often conclude (erroneously) I must have seen the movie before. I would posit that the predominant element that assists/enables the LII to see the overall plot is Ne.

With respect to the facts and trivia, it really depends on the subject: as to the few topics I find interest in, then yes, I do have a large storage of facts. But as to most other topics, I don't care too much about memorizing details and facts, most of which I find irrelevant. Also, I am absolutely terrible at remembering certain things--such as names of people I've recently met. Other things I have no recollection of are friends'/girlfriends' eye color, what someone was wearing yesterday, etc. One time it took me a week to notice a family member wasn't wearing glasses anymore! Weak S ftw.
    Pretty much exactly my thoughts on the matter. And I find it the same from the EP side.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything, I would say that it's a cause of strong Ti + Ni. In tandem, these two elements form a visionary view. With strong Ti, there is a strong conscious sense to understand and analyze the various things they encounter. This helps develop a certain perception of structure, plot, and conventions of genres. But with strong subconscious Ni, they have a good sense of how things may develop and unwind. So in terms of stories, this potentially gives them an almost prophetic ability to discern the probable outcome from an incomplete set of data (i.e. the beginning of the story). But to borrow from the famous LII philosopher Spinoza: "Prophecy really includes ordinary knowledge."This of course does not make them right all the time or even most of the time, as it depends on the actual strength of their functions. Their lack of accurate Te in certain places can leave their predictions stale or completely off as well.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

True, but A LOT of movie scripts are written by non-Te valuers so that's not really an issue at all. There really isn't that many mainstream Te-valuing movies, I don't think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    True, but A LOT of movie scripts are written by non-Te valuers so that's not really an issue at all. There really isn't that many mainstream Te-valuing movies, I don't think.
    Just because scripts are written by non-Te valuers does not mean that they would somehow be devoid of Te, no more than a theoretical physics book written by an ILE would lack facts. The facts of the film will be present no matter what the values of the writer may have.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that I pick up on movie plots well, and I pride myself on making connections, predicting what will come next. If it's extremely predictable it may be boring. It depends on what the filmmakers do with the plot. There are only so many story ideas out there that nearly every story has been done, but I think there are unique ideas still to be unearthed. A great storyteller/filmmaker can take an overdone plot and do something great with it that we haven't seen. Even if my predictions turn out to be wrong, it's fun to speculate. I often see things from a stragne out-of-the box angle if I'm able to get into the movie/the show. I admit, sometimes I may need to rewatch something several times to pick up on everything in there.

I find with great media, there is something new to be witnessed or a new perspective to take in with each respective viewing. Even with reading books, I may reread the book and see it from a different angle. I like to pick apart the world of the film, connect to the characters, figure out their motivations, etc.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Memory recall has more to do with the hardware of the brain, not type; I met smart and stupid examples of all types. I've been able to easily understand complex stories, issues, themes and plots; no movie or TV series ever seemed complicated likely because they're aimed at the mass market. My memory is excellent for certain types of information but not for others such as faces but not names, architecture but not decorative aspects, themes and intent of conversations but not specific words, mood of music but not lyrics, and scientific concepts but not formulas. My memory seems very relational or associative where one memory triggers many......

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...transcontextual thinking and the ability to recognize patterns forming at ground level, when many people aren't able to see the pattern until they're much higher above the ground. In this sense, they might see the bigger picture or system before people less skilled at recognizing patterns can see it.

I think Si might play some part in this too, though I'm a little biased from years of MBTI jargon and understandings of the IMs. Regardless, that ability to think transcontextually and recognize patterns, when paired with an almost encyclopedic database of facts, tropes, and experiential data might really be what gives them this supposed power to guess plot developments and contrivances before most of the rest of an audience gets it.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This mostly has to do with the fact that Hollywood is shit, and its writers are all uncreative hacks. Ne pattern recognition helps, but anyone intelligent who’s seen a few movies before can recognize all the stagnant tropes.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I do differently from everyone else I watch movies with: I pay attention. Context is important. Why do people need to go pee when you're being introduced to the most important characters? smh.

But other than that, yes, Hollywood is super predictable.