Thread: Antonin Artaud

TIM
    Gamma SF
    Mentioned
    831 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Antonin Artaud

I don't know anything about him and his crazy French quotes don't excite me but I noticed that he has a face I find compelling and I like the drama in it, so type away.

No one has ever written, painted, sculpted, modeled, built, or invented except literally to get out of hell.

All true language is incomprehensible, like the chatter of a beggar's teeth.

Never tire yourself more than necessary, even if you have to found a culture on the fatigue of your bones.

Written poetry is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead poets make way for others.

It is not opium which makes me work but its absence, and in order for me to feel its absence it must from time to time be present.

Those who live, live off the dead.

Hell is of this world and there are men who are unhappy escapees from hell, escapees destined ETERNALLY to reenact their escape.

Where there is a stink of shit there is a smell of being.

We do not die because we have to die; we die because one day, and not so long ago, our consciousness was forced to deem it necessary.

With society and its public, there is no longer any other language than that of bombs, barricades, and all that follows.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how you found out about him because he's on the deep end of modern literature and you have admitted to being a non-literary person, but so be it.
    He's very much an EIE, comparable to someone like Klaus Kinski. It's clear he had an illness of some type, but either way he's admirable for the lengths he went to be free of the hypocrisies and restrictions of bourgeois society. He was too mad for poseurs like Breton and Bataille.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)