Thread: children rearing

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default children rearing

If you have or had any children, are there any things you consider important that you would want to pass onto them? I'm talking about values, education, skills.. whatever you can think.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

curiosity, openness, willingness to learn, creativity, playfulness

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

to see happy parrents is important for children. as they copy parrents

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dream household would be one where my kids were open to all kinds of people, experiences, cultures... culture is especially important, i'd like to get sure they study the classic as to me that surpasses any technical knowledge. languages, possibly more than 2 languages should be spoken at home. playing an instrument. animals. more than all i'd want my kids to know kindness and respect.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intelligence, mostly. Independence, and possessing well-developed personalities. Precociousness. A relaxed, casual attitude. Friendliness I suppose. Bibliophilia. A disdain for people who say they don't like to read. Lack of aggressiveness. Good ethical sense.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to teach my kids to be kind to others, not be snobs, be polite, open doors for people... that kind of thing. If they say a rude remark to someone I’ll pull them aside and chew them out. Be honest, but not too honest lol. Don’t brag. Don’t steal. Mind your own business. Know boundaries. I take them to the library every week and have them check out books. I read to them from an early age and now they all love to read and are constantly reading something. I would like to keep them curious and make sure they are constantly learning. Expose them to a bunch of different ideas. I let them check out whatever they want. We also get a ton of movies, new and old. My 10 year old is now obsessed with gone with the wind. If they want to try something I’ll usually support them. Tbh I’m not so great at teaching independence. I do a lot of stuff for them that I prob shouldn’t. I just keep thinking of them as babies. My husband is much better at teaching them independence. I’m kinda like my mom, scared they are going to get hurt or abducted so I can be a little overbearing. But not as much as she is. I feel like I’ve also failed them at the Social thing and getting them involved in school activities since I have social anxiety. But all three of my oldest have turned out pretty different. Nurture only goes so far lol
    Last edited by Aster; 07-10-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What this thread makes me visualize:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd want them to actually understand how the world works. From law and order to economics down to micro and macro and how businesses operate in a capitalist system to philosophy to understanding differences between people and to experience it all as best they can. I'd want them to look deeper than the surface on most things and not just pursue money and material wealth. And most of all I'd want to be there to help them when they fail, instead of expecting them to be normal or live up to society's standards or pressuring them with vague notions of what their lives should be... Because those things are incredibly unhealthy and unfulfilling and something that's personally hindered my grow into adulthood. I think way too many people only worry about making money and living by society's rules and that hurts people more than anything else.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<3

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have kids but one thing I try to show my close friend’s little guys is to be brave and curious about everything. Just showing them stuff outside, like showing them how to sled down a snowy hill side, something they had never seen before. Showing them its fun even though its scary. Brushing my teeth while the 2 year old watches and later in the week catching him in the sink trying to brush his teeth. Basically letting them hold tools and carry stuff and participate in the world, moving things, helping me out and being patient and thinking about what is going on around them. This Christmas Day I took her boys in the wood truck and got fire wood with them. J———- is 3.5 and C—— is 2 and they just stayed in the truck playing with their new toys and C—— was a lil upset and scared beingg away from home (Mom) and I can remember my own feelings and thoughts-impressions at that age so I tried to show him that everything in the world is okay and that its okay to be scared but also just as easy to not be scared by making what is going on as clear and simple and stress free as possible by being this way myself. Follow my lead basically. And that everything is only temporary but that they are loved and I am here for them. Monkey see, monkey do.