Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Democratic Presidential Debate

Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Personally, I don't really mind if my country of Canada becomes multi-ethnic, but I would like it to remain monocultural at the very least.
    What is American/Canadian culture supposed to be?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    What is American/Canadian culture supposed to be?
    I consider language and accent very important, which most second generation immigrants and some first generation immigrants (immigrated as children) can truly master. So a big part of being a Canadian/American means speaking English as a first language with its distinctive Canadian/American accent first and foremost IMO.

This is pretty accurate speaking as a Canadian:

The culture of Canada embodies the artistic, culinary, literary, humour, musical, political and social elements that are representative of Canada and Canadians. Throughout Canada's history, its culture has been influenced by European culture and traditions, especially British and French, and by its own indigenous cultures. Over time, elements of the cultures of Canada's immigrant populations have become incorporated to form a Canadian cultural mosaic. The population has also been influenced by American culture because of a shared language, proximity, television and migration between the two countries.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Canada
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider language and accent very important, which most second generation immigrants and some first generation immigrants (immigrated as children) can truly master. So a big part of being a Canadian/American means speaking English as a first language with its distinctive Canadian/American accent first and foremost IMO.

Go say that to the French Canadians.
    "Inasmuch as it is nothing but pure communicability, every face, even the most noble and beautiful, is always suspended on the edge of an abyss"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mutlitculturalism is actually just a transitional phase between evolving monocultures.

This is pretty standard to evolution of cultures and societies. It's inevitable, and I think fighting it leads to the rise of authoritarian movements and extreme nationalism, i.e. what we saw in fascist nations of the 20th century Europe, or currently on the American far right.

Western Roman society became more "multicultural" and less latin during the great migration as Germanic tribes were forced to migrate into Roman lands due to the masses of central Asian migrants pushing them, and from this the European culture of the middle ages eventually arose.

I liken it to the Hegelian Dialect.

Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The culture of Canada embodies the artistic, culinary, literary, humour, musical, political and social elements that are representative of Canada and Canadians. Throughout Canada's history, its culture has been influenced by European culture and traditions, especially British and French, and by its own indigenous cultures. Over time, elements of the cultures of Canada's immigrant populations have become incorporated to form a Canadian cultural mosaic. The population has also been influenced by American culture because of a shared language, proximity, television and migration between the two countries.
    According to that source: elements of immigrant cultures became incorporated to form a Canadian cultural mosaic. Melting pots work in both directions, and I think we're on the same page if you acknowledge this.

Incidentally, the differences between Islamic and Western cultures are vastly and ignorantly overstated by commentators. Both are Abrahamic cultures with an overlapping range of moral beliefs that emphasize things like community and charity.

It might come as a shock but, like Christianity, Islam borrowed heavily from Greek and Roman cultures; dig deep enough and you'll read about Islamic schools of thought that are rooted in Neoplatonism. Also, and I say this as someone who's not particularly enthralled by religious belief in general, and Abrahamic religion in particular, but there are frankly some things that today's Americans and Europeans can relearn from Islam, like generosity towards guests and respect for the elderly.
    Last edited by xerxe; 07-31-2019 at 04:59 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Go say that to the French Canadians.
    I left out French Canadians on purpose because they are the minority in Canada. However, Quebec has its own sense of culture and identity based around French mostly rather than English and that is completely fine.

I consider French speaking to be more important within Quebec and less so outside of it, but English is prominent throughout the entirety of Canada. I actually consider most English speaking Canadians to be more similar to Americans culturally than French Canadians for this reason.
    Last edited by Raver; 08-02-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I missed both of the debates, but from the looks of it Bernie won the first debate and Warren was runner up and Tulsi won the second debate and Yang was runner up IMO. The rest of the Democratic candidates had either mediocre or poor performances. The highlight was Tulsi owning Kamala.

If I had to pick my favorite Democratic candidates, it would be Tulsi, Yang, Bernie and Warren in that order. Even though I like Tulsi and Yang more, Bernie and Warren have a much better chance to win. These videos give a good run through of what happened in the last two debates recently:

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A good summary of the second democratic debates:

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I remember in the first debate I was kind of lapping what Kamala Harris said up even though someone had told me - maybe don't trust her, she's saying what she needs to say and doesn't really believe it. After that I watched some videos about her record and good lord my opinion on her dropped like a rock. This time around I was saying hopefully someone will stand up and take her out, and I'm glad someone did. She took Biden out, Tulsi took her out. In some people's opinions someone needs to take Tulsi out, too, saying she's a war hawk. I haven't seen that hawkishness from her, in fact, mostly, of the stuff I've seen, she seems to be quite reticent to advise war, but I don't know a hell of a lot about any of these candidates this time around, so I could be wrong.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I remember in the first debate I was kind of lapping what Kamala Harris said up even though someone had told me - maybe don't trust her, she's saying what she needs to say and doesn't really believe it. After that I watched some videos about her record and good lord my opinion on her dropped like a rock. This time around I was saying hopefully someone will stand up and take her out, and I'm glad someone did. She took Biden out, Tulsi took her out. In some people's opinions someone needs to take Tulsi out, too, saying she's a war hawk. I haven't seen that hawkishness from her, in fact, mostly, of the stuff I've seen, she seems to be quite reticent to advise war, but I don't know a hell of a lot about any of these candidates this time around, so I could be wrong.
    You are pretty much spot on in regards to the Democratic candidates. Tulsi is not a war hawk, in fact she is the complete opposite. The media spinsters try to frame her as an Assad apologist because she met with Assad for seeking peace.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567