Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever learn anything from you dreams?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you ever learn anything from you dreams?

I'm noticing that most of the emotional stuff that I repress in my daily life or just have a harder time with comes out in dreams.

For example, without getting into a lot of details, awhile back when I was considering moving and getting a different job in order to be happier, I had somebody tell me that people do things that make them miserable because that's life and it's what people do and that I should stick with my situation because it pays well. I didn't know what to think about that, but it kind of got under my skin and then I brushed it off. But then about a month later I had a dream where this girl was laughing and deriding me for it, like I was an idiot and I blew up on her and beat her up on all her insecurities and she was just completely destroyed by how I reduced her. (She's probably unhealthy SEI or ESE as far as I can tell, if it matters or makes a difference). And I woke up and was like "damn", where did that come from. But it was kind of cathartic. It let me express emotions I didn't realize were there.

Anyone ever learn something from their dreams? What did you learn?
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

TIM
    IEI-Ni2 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had dreams predict the future sometimes years in advance. The thing is, though, I don't know if it's a prediction of the future or not until it actually comes true.
    human flesh tastes like pork

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I also have dreams about things I repress in reality, especially anger towards someone else. I guess it shows how I truly feel. Like my husband is very touchy feely and I’m sensitive to touch. I’ve had a few dreams where I would blow up at him where in reality I am more passive and allow the touching. I express I dislike it to him too a bit but I give up and he has difficulty taking a hint. Sometimes I am exploding inside and want to scream.

I also dream often of what I fear. Like demons. I don’t know what I’m learning from that except sometimes in the dreams I am facing my fears in a sexual way.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often thought about some recurring bad dreams/nightmares I used to have as a teen and eventually noticed some semblances of cross breeding between them and my weaker mobilizing/suggestive functions. Interestingly enough, they were usually most rooted in some Fi value that sought some willful action through Se but "fell flat" somehow. The most persistent theme involves being besieged by some fast approaching threat and having to defend and protect some conceptualized home/territory of mine and a varying cast of friends/loved ones/family members, whereupon I eventually fall short and succumb to the threat (which for me is A NIGHTMARE).

In this particular strain of dream, I'm always taking on some urban gang/mafioso/undead zombie horde/team of super villians/etc... by myself, without any additional support and I don't feel afraid, but seething and smoldering with anger/rage/righteous indignation. I feel invigorated and probably overly confident, but as soon as I would posture to do some shit I probably saw Goku do, I'd suddenly feel weak and de-powered; and when I'd attack whoever the MFer was at that moment, there would be an insufficient effect or it would viscerally feel like I had no strength in my arms. And at that moment, I'd combust/implode/explode and wipe out myself along with the threat. I've actually sprained a few toes multiple times in my early years while having this nightmare because I would be kicking with so much force that I managed to knock a hole into a wall.

Though I don't recall ever making a conscious association between those dreams/nightmares and my subsequent behavior, I did begin to work out/train/fight/partake in a lot of competitive sports/activities to build my "strength" and ability to move/react/protect/neutralize/destroy anything that might stand in the way of me defending (Se) whatever it is I want/value/love/etc.... (Fi). Interestingly enough, Carl Jung explained dreams as a sort of “shaped energy" or rudimentary, under developed emotions or thoughts released by the deep subconscious.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. sometimes I get song ideas in my head and apply them to reality. sometimes I realise something from my subconsciousness that I could not reach in an awake state.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I wish I remembered my dreams at all. The only one since the accident involved me physically fighting a handful of men in an elevator cuz I was a CIA spy. It was very badass but I didn't learn anything. I never do and unfortunately most of the dreams I remember are about shopping at target or something.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes when i go lucid in dreams i ask the dream people questions, usually knowing that they're part of myself/archetypes, like what things in the dream mean (or sometimes a direct question about life). the answers are nearly always cryptic or sometimes seamingly nonsensicle and almost never a direct answer, but i use them to ponder on when i wake up as the beginning of a thought thread that may lead to understanding over the next few days. as far as just normal dreams in general, i like to analyze the ones i remember and although there is a certain satisfaction of uncovering subconscious stuff, i try to take my intuitively derived symbol meanings with a grain of salt though i feel that the symbol meanings coming from my subconscious carry more personal weight than ones gotten out of one of those dream interpretation books/sites. i see dream interpretation as a conversation with my subconscious, not some outward interaction.
    Last edited by bgbg; 06-22-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only dream that had impact on me that I remember is one where I was with my decreased dad in dream and I woke up crying. Otherwise just nightmares and jazz where I'm being killed or chased that I remember. Never remember pleasant dreams despite the majority of my dreams being such so can't say I learn anything from my dreams, no.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

In dreams I may see the thoughts which I could to supress.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can interpret my dreams, what I remember of them, at least, but I'm not sure I end up finding this useful.

I used to keep a dream log around 2005-2006, a few months back I went thorugh it. It was odd some of the things I had dreamed, and how their meaning was lost on me at the time. Still, guessing their meaning, I don't know what to "do" about it.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember my dreams I often begin interpreting them almost before waking up, so right away. I have developed this "technique" that if I imagine swapping roles with one of the dream characters so that I "become" them, then it will be revealed to me what the psychic material behind the character is. When I experience being the dream figure, I also experience his consciousness, in other words, my own repressed psychic material, that was projected into the dream character. It actually works and it can sometimes be even a scary experience.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcanary View Post
    I also have dreams about things I repress in reality, especially anger towards someone else. I guess it shows how I truly feel. Like my husband is very touchy feely and I’m sensitive to touch. I’ve had a few dreams where I would blow up at him where in reality I am more passive and allow the touching. I express I dislike it to him too a bit but I give up and he has difficulty taking a hint. Sometimes I am exploding inside and want to scream.

I also dream often of what I fear. Like demons. I don’t know what I’m learning from that except sometimes in the dreams I am facing my fears in a sexual way.
    What do you mean about facing your fears in a sexual way?

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They usually turn my repressed thoughts into symbolic nightmares. Not things I didn’t know, just things I don’t want to think about. Pretty good writing material lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    What do you mean about facing your fears in a sexual way?
    I get sleep paralysis often. In them the demons are touching me and raping me. It's very scary. In the dream I am then enjoying it as a way to deal with being unable to move.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkcanary View Post
    I get sleep paralysis often. In them the demons are touching me and raping me. It's very scary. In the dream I am then enjoying it as a way to deal with being unable to move.
    That’s interesting. Have you ever tried lucid dreaming?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had sleep paralysis several times a week since early childhood. I've never been raped during my episodes, but I do suffocate and feel the ominous presence watching me. The episodes last anywhere from five seconds to what feels like half an hour and I've barely gotten accustomed to the experience over time.

Fun anecdote: my Indian friend says the Brahman caste is so inbred that most of them get sleep paralysis.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had a sex dream when i was 14 and i learned how to fuck
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been lucid dreaming since I was a child. I analyze the dream as I am dreaming. Usually the content follows order of events, with the last section of conscious living that occurred before sleep being the last thing I dreamed before I awake. My most restful, productive dreams occur first thing in the morning. This is real. Reality is that buttoned up for me. Sometimes I will briefly regain full consciousness and realize I have a hard on that leads to morning wood.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are some theories that think dreams are a way for your brain to "train" you in certain scenarios and movement patterns for fighting or anything really.

A lot of my dreams tend to be hyper-violent, with blood, gore, and killing at a very high level. Does it help prepare me for things? I have absolutely no idea.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep dreaming of lesbo scenarios, maybe my subconscious is tryna tell me something

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    I keep dreaming of lesbo scenarios, maybe my subconscious is tryna tell me something
    Maybe, maybe not.

https://i.imgur.com/iTQAStR.jpg

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I've read that the psychologists' interpretation of lesbo dreams go smth like: a need for nurture and understanding, maternal embrace and recognition... which is v true. ç__ç

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never learn anything from mine (why would I?), but they often produce interesting stories.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bcoz we are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bcoz we are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep
    No.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

not really i think they just reflect moods, desires fears etc, i mean its a good idea to pay attention to them since its usually stuff you try to avoid but those dreams are annoying as fuck sometimes when its something you really can't do anything about at the moment

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have a recurring dream of having just signed a year-long lease and moved into an apartment or house I hate. I spend the dream trying to make it work somehow because I can't leave. The apartments look different each time. I have been having this dream a lot lately (2-3 times a week), which tells me I need to get the hell out of this town and move to where I am happy.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckrz View Post
    No.
    we dream for a fourth of our lifetime, and that is just during sleep, we dream when awake too. do you think our millenary evolution programmed us to waste so much time in useless biological activities? the role of dreams is the first step to assess reality, simply because it is the threshold where reality stops and your imagination runs wild. letting aside all the psychological layers that are attributed to dream activity.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night I dreamt that a guy had lost his wedding ring and his wife shot him in the head and he was happy about it. It wasn't me, the guy was black and bald. I did risk losing the ring 2 days ago, lol
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chakram View Post
    There are some theories that think dreams are a way for your brain to "train" you in certain scenarios and movement patterns for fighting or anything really.

A lot of my dreams tend to be hyper-violent, with blood, gore, and killing at a very high level. Does it help prepare me for things? I have absolutely no idea.

Probably, if it's a reflection of your subconscious and not just completely random dreaming. Our of curiosity, you have any idea why your dreams are like that? Sounds like you have some anxiety maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by mfckrz View Post
    I never learn anything from mine (why would I?), but they often produce interesting stories.

For me it can help realize instinctual things I've been neglecting I guess. But that's probably the same as the subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I have a recurring dream of having just signed a year-long lease and moved into an apartment or house I hate. I spend the dream trying to make it work somehow because I can't leave. The apartments look different each time. I have been having this dream a lot lately (2-3 times a week), which tells me I need to get the hell out of this town and move to where I am happy.

That's awesome. I love dreams like that. It's like having someone watch over you and stepping in to let you know something is up.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Last night I dreamt that a guy had lost his wedding ring and his wife shot him in the head and he was happy about it. It wasn't me, the guy was black and bald. I did risk losing the ring 2 days ago, lol

Til death do you part.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    If I remember my dreams I often begin interpreting them almost before waking up, so right away. I have developed this "technique" that if I imagine swapping roles with one of the dream characters so that I "become" them, then it will be revealed to me what the psychic material behind the character is. When I experience being the dream figure, I also experience his consciousness, in other words, my own repressed psychic material, that was projected into the dream character. It actually works and it can sometimes be even a scary experience.
    That's pretty cool.

yeah, I've read that the psychologists' interpretation of lesbo dreams go smth like: a need for nurture and understanding, maternal embrace and recognition... which is v true. ç__ç
    What do you think your dreams mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I get a lot of dreams of teeth falling out.

And I just had one where a cow ate a goat.
    What do you think it means?
    Last edited by Dalek Caan; 06-29-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Caan View Post
    Probably, if it's a reflection of your subconscious and not just completely random dreaming. Our of curiosity, you have any idea why your dreams are like that? Sounds like you have some anxiety maybe?
    Not sure, I was a surgical technician and a medic for a while in the military so it could be from those experiences. It's not really an anxiety inducing thing, I wouldn't be able to consider them nightmares or frightening in any way, just regular dreams.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

often it expresses my opinions about others in extremely obvious ways like me killing someone or someone tries to kill me that i don't like or don't trust etcetera
    it acts more like a reinforcer than me learning from it as if it were something new

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    No. If I could stop having dreams, I would.
    Put them in a bottle and send them to me.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i guess my desires or whats been on my mind more or less consciously, but i dont dream that much (or i guess i should say i dont remember much of them)

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consistencyofenergy View Post
    often it expresses my opinions about others in extremely obvious ways like me killing someone or someone tries to kill me that i don't like or don't trust etcetera
    it acts more like a reinforcer than me learning from it as if it were something new
    shouldn't it be pretty obvious by now that you are ESI

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
    shouldn't it be pretty obvious by now that you are ESI
    shouldnt it be obvious to you that IEI cant be 4

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Usually I associate what happens with people in my dreams with the side of myself that is paranoiac and dreams up conspiracies in every corner, so I try not to learn too much from that. Whenever I have demonic or outlandish fear-driven dreams I feel like those are just manifestations of anxiety. Sometimes I see utopias and I try to learn from those what my ideal environments are. I think I also learn something of what to do in dangerous situations from my dreams, when I am put face to face with a tiger or a dangerous traffic situation.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldnt it be obvious to you that IEI cant be 4
    I have no more energy to talk about this with you so let's just agree to disagree

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nice dodge.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
    I have no more energy to talk about this with you so let's just agree to disagree
    Go be introverted somewhere else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast