IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Self expansion theory and Socionics

Recently I found this article on wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-expansion_model

And it seems to have some overlap with Socionics.
    Some simple examples from this article:

1. "The second principle is that individuals often achieve self-expansion through close relationships which allow the inclusion of the other in the self"
    is the same as the personality blurring effect described as a result of dual relationships (but not only those of course).

2. "Self-expansion is not consciously motivated"
    Just as the ideia of dual seeking and HA functions.

3. "People who are most similar to ourselves provide a diminished capacity for self-expansion"
    Like mirrors and Identicals are less effective than duals and activators for self-expansion

4. Also some article states that We are attracted not only to different people, but especially those who are similar to our ideal self (probably a dual for those who have interacted with one on a close level) and hold the same values.

5. "
    people may be fearful of creating a close relationship with an outgroup member as this may trigger animosity from original ingroup members."
    I thinks this somehow relates to clubs and quadras

But this model seems too generic to me, and absolutely vague compared to Socionics.

What do you think about it? Did you know about this model?
    Last edited by BrainlessSquid; 06-21-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know about this model, but more Social-Psychologists are on the same track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_phenomenon

https://mavericksocionics.blogspot.c...intertype.html
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

it has a relation to subjectivism
    Socionics has it strong in the current state. taking into account low typing matches - the degree of mistakes is significant and people do not notice them often
    but this does not mean what is seen is always wrong objectively
    there is objective experimental basis to accept typology as being correct in its essence - stable typing matches higher than accidental (average ~17% vs ~6%)
    also my IR test shows results which may point that not only types exists but also IR theory works. shows objectively by the match of 2 independent methods

the main reason for doubts is inabbility to use the typology correctly to get good results. then people seek for rationalizations - the same speculative "self-expantion" for being against the Socionics

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are like the universe, wooo

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    But this model seems too generic to me, and absolutely vague compared to Socionics.
    Yeah, it seems like a relatively uninsightful take on a spiritual phenomenon.

Of course the greatest relationship is your relationship with your Lord.

As for socionics, I see things more in terms of IM elements, so I would say that integrating the dual-seeking element is an important part of growth. What Jung says about completing a triad with a fourth - it's like that.