Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Why Socionics Doesn't 'Work'

  1. #1
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Why Socionics Doesn't 'Work'

    I was in an argument with someone: I was able to graduate at the top of my class with a philosophy degree, but I couldn't finish my degree in math. Why? Assumedly, it is because the information metabolism of philosophy is right and the other one wrong.

    I already had a degree in computer science, and I had a math minor with straight A's BUT over the years, the university assumedly changed how the degree is taught. Therefore, I could probably have finished before with the degree in math if they did not change the degree.

    And, on that note, aren`t there degrees that are generally taught well and others taught poorly? Aren't some math degrees harder to attain at certain universities over others? Why? Doesn't this mean that socionics does not add up?

    The problem is that in the real world, practical issues sometimes make a difference.

    Maybe math generally has the pefect information metabolism for you, but the degree you entered into is too hard or not taught properly, and therefore you cannot finish.

    And it is like this with anything. 'If you are LII why aren't you with an ESE?' Maybe again because of certain practical issues of availability, attractiveness, etc. The person who believes this has given no thought to issues of logistics, cost, availability, or use. These are not big concerns for me, but they are inherent in almost any practical endeavour. And they're relevant to anything socionics: a relation, career, etc. could 'work' because it's cheap, available, or easy. It could also 'not work' for the opposite reasons. Therefore, when you question one's information metabolism because 'they're in accounting instead of mathematics', please give this notion a second thought...
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-15-2019 at 10:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    My addition: Socionics doesn't work because most people can't work it. You have to be good at observation and seeing subtle yet obvious patterns. 95% seem to have trouble with it. It has taken me years to learn the skills myself.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,337
    Mentioned
    933 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    - it needs the correct typing (with average matches <20% it's a big and main problem)
    - there are important other factors besides types (average type description is not a concrete real human and with IR is the similar)
    - it needs the usage of correct theory (but not random bs alike Reinin's) and correct its understanding (alike duals are described as not interesting on the 1st look in some texts)
    - a part even of classical theory is wrong or doubtful, alike "polr" thought as the weakest function unlike at Jung

    @jason_m
    at 1st, it's important to understand correctly own type to notice how the typology works. with a videointerview you'd could to get opinions
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  4. #4
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just don't think about it and get out of your bubble. Let life come at you without meta thought. Get messy and leave without a plan. Put yourself out there otherwise not a single thing will change and you will just have been a coward. The pieces will fall into play on their own in their own time.

  5. #5
    Aramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    United States
    TIM
    EII-Ne
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Just don't think about it and get out of your bubble. Let life come at you without meta thought. Get messy and leave without a plan. Put yourself out there otherwise not a single thing will change and you will just have been a coward. The pieces will fall into play on their own in their own time.
    You who? Rather ambiguous post.

  6. #6
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Socionics hasn't graduated beyond a classification system so it can't possibly 'work'; as such, it's relatively accurate but the models need work (excuse the pun). Success in school has more to do with motivation, aptitude for academics and intellect (in this order); type likely contributes to the attraction toward certain fields but not success in them. And, I've met so many who could ace the tests but not succeed in the associated profession - and there's no correlation with type. Many seem to erroneously try to associate IEs with specific outcomes when they only represent information preferences and processing structure. Preference plus structure may affect behaviour but it doesn't equal success......

    a.k.a. I/O

  7. #7
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Many seem to erroneously try to associate IEs with specific outcomes when they only represent information preferences and processing structure.
    Before reading this post I was gonna feel stupid for asking:
    Which one's the Math IM element?

    Because I expected Math to be a combination of and things that have nothing to do with Socionics, like intelligence. Probably also some external factors like and motivation.

  8. #8
    Number 9 large's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Baking bread
    TIM
    ESTP 7w8
    Posts
    2,781
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I was in an argument with someone: I was able to graduate at the top of my class with a philosophy degree, but I couldn't finish my degree in math. Why? Assumedly, it is because the information metabolism of philosophy is right and the other one wrong.

    I already had a degree in computer science, and I had a math minor with straight A's BUT over the years, the university assumedly changed how the degree is taught. Therefore, I could probably have finished before with the degree in math if they did not change the degree.

    And, on that note, aren`t there degrees that are generally taught well and others taught poorly? Aren't some math degrees harder to attain at certain universities over others? Why? Doesn't this mean that socionics does not add up?

    The problem is that in the real world, practical issues sometimes make a difference.

    Maybe math generally has the pefect information metabolism for you, but the degree you entered into is too hard or not taught properly, and therefore you cannot finish.

    And it is like this with anything. 'If you are LII why aren't you with an ESE?' Maybe again because of certain practical issues of availability, attractiveness, etc. The person who believes this has given no thought to issues of logistics, cost, availability, or use. These are not big concerns for me, but they are inherent in almost any practical endeavour. And they're relevant to anything socionics: a relation, career, etc. could 'work' because it's cheap, available, or easy. It could also 'not work' for the opposite reasons. Therefore, when you question one's information metabolism because 'they're in accounting instead of mathematics', please give this notion a second thought...
    and how does this make socionics not work?

  9. #9
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Before reading this post I was gonna feel stupid for asking:
    Which one's the Math IM element?

    Because I expected Math to be a combination of and things that have nothing to do with Socionics, like intelligence. Probably also some external factors like and motivation.
    You do seem to be with the vast majority on this site when you use IEs as adjectives for motivation. Motivation evolves more from upbringing, influences and environment than it does type. A type raised in poverty will likely have much different motivations from the same type raised in privilege. Various IEs combine to do maths in different ways; there's usually no one approach to accomplishing anything. It would be naive to say that only people with certain IEs could accomplish a specific task.......

    a.k.a. I/O

  10. #10
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    You do seem to be with the vast majority on this site when you use IEs as adjectives for motivation. Motivation evolves more from upbringing, influences and environment than it does type. A type raised in poverty will likely have much different motivations from the same type raised in privilege. Various IEs combine to do maths in different ways; there's usually no one approach to accomplishing anything. It would be naive to say that only people with certain IEs could accomplish a specific task.......

    a.k.a. I/O
    So if I usually feel motivated to act by Fe-minded encouragement, is that deep-seated appreciation for warm encouragement a part of my upbringing? Maybe. But Fe is Fe, no matter how somebody learned to appreciate those who are careful with it.

    If it truly is my upbringing that makes me appreciate warm encouragement (which it might be), and socionics predicts such a thing for the type representing me (LII), then my sociotype (LII) is equally part of my upbringing. I made no assumptions about where that appreciation came from before entering Model A. It is there and I can use the model to analyse its effects.

    I don't think your use of "upbringing" can discredit my socionic modeling. From a Model A standpoint (unless I'm missing something?), it doesn't matter where an LII's appreciation for Ti is coming from. The model cannot address those kinds of causes because I think they're far beyond our current understanding of the human mind. If it tries to address the causes, I will happily discard them and clean up the model. Genetics, upbringing, frustrations... they all play a part and are equally irrelevant when analysing things within such a model.

    The model addresses the effects of having a Base Ti, not the causes.

    So how is it relevant that my upbringing determines my appreciation for Fe-minded encouragement? It could have been used to make me want to learn Math, exactly in accordance with socionic predictions of LII. Therefore I can say that can be a motivator for someone to become good at Math.

  11. #11
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    @Luk Fe refers to the way one would rationalize encouragement in comparison to some baseline reference or requirement but I've known quite a number of Fe-types that neither sought nor needed encouragement whatsoever. Externalized-F is interactive rationalization so group participation is sought for confirmation purposes, which is a broad category under which encouragement could fit - if one needed it. I've known copies of all types that've sought encouragement. I've an aptitude for maths so I didn't require encouragement and I've met copies of every type who didn't have difficulty with the subject - with or without encouragement....

    a.k.a. I/O
    Last edited by Rebelondeck; 06-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.

  12. #12
    عالم نفسي thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,043
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This has nothing to do with socionics. Socionics does not dictate what your career path should be.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Before reading this post I was gonna feel stupid for asking:
    Which one's the Math IM element?

    Because I expected Math to be a combination of and things that have nothing to do with Socionics, like intelligence. Probably also some external factors like and motivation.
    It's like saying "Which computer hardware is responsible for the calculator app?".

    Well the calculator app is a software and therefore it's just a bunch of programming codes. Socionics can't figure out what that code is, because it doesn't ask that question. It's like looking at a monitor and visually observing what the software does. But it doesn't try to look at its codes, and its hardware that's responsible for the whole thing is rather mysterious.

    If you could try to figure out how the calculator works, then you might have a chance at replicating it. But if all you do is observe some apparent patterns and thinking that pattern will repeat, then it's a hopeless task.

  14. #14
    Haikus
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    This has nothing to do with socionics. Socionics does not dictate what your career path should be.
    That's right.

  15. #15
    Number 9 large's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Baking bread
    TIM
    ESTP 7w8
    Posts
    2,781
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    This has nothing to do with socionics. Socionics does not dictate what your career path should be.
    It does to an extent

  16. #16
    عالم نفسي thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,043
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    It does to an extent
    Sure, it can tell you what you're likely to be good at. But it doesn't mean that every Ti type has to be good at math. And dual relationships may or may not work out for a variety of reasons.

  17. #17
    WinnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    1,277
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    But it doesn't mean that every Ti type has to be good at math.
    Applying math is much more ,
    creating math formulas and defining laws of arithmetic is

  18. #18
    ooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    TIM
    eyy
    Posts
    2,892
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^agreed, my SLI mum was a lil math freak, she used to say that math is beautiful as it always gives you the correct results.

  19. #19
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    and how does this make socionics not work?
    What did I say? Because certain things aren't cheap, available, easy to use, (or maybe even designed properly) socionics will then break down in such situations. Please recall: work is in quotations - i.e., it's not exactly why it doesn't work.

  20. #20
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A three-in-one deal! 🎉 Feel free to skip it if you're not interested / I'm not replying to you. 😦 I'm feeling a little self-conscious right now.



    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    This has nothing to do with socionics. Socionics does not dictate what your career path should be.
    I pretty much agree, with a pedantic caveat: your career path is in large part dictated by your environment; people are a part of your environment and socionics models your interaction with those people.

    Intertype relations, at the very least, influence your career path, even if not in a neatly predictable way. It's all pretty personal.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    @Luk Fe refers to the way one would rationalize encouragement in comparison to some baseline reference or requirement but I've known quite a number of Fe-types that neither sought nor needed encouragement whatsoever. Externalized-F is interactive rationalization so group participation is sought for confirmation purposes, which is a broad category under which encouragement could fit - if one needed it. I've known copies of all types that've sought encouragement. I've an aptitude for maths so I didn't require encouragement and I've met copies of every type who didn't have difficulty with the subject - with or without encouragement....

    a.k.a. I/O
    "Fe refers to the way one would rationalize encouragement in comparison to some baseline reference or requirement"
    I don't think it does. Fe is not in any way limited to encouragement, though encouragement (emotional instigation, emotional support, enthusiasm) can be seen as Fe-related constructs.
    Inspiring fear into others by acting afraid is another Fe-related construct.
    Inhibiting excessive emotions in others can be another Fe-related construct, depending on the situation.

    They're Fe-related constructs because they're strategies that target a person's Fe-related information processing; their Fe function, which is what tries to model Fe information processing.

    If I scream in fear, your response will be partially dictated by how you process extraverted emotional information. That's not encouragement.

    "Fe-types"
    Every type processes Fe-related information, in different ways. Are you referring to Fe-ego? Are you referring to Alpha & Beta? Does it include SEE and IEE, who also process vast amounts of Fe-related information?

    "Fe-types that neither sought nor needed encouragement whatsoever"
    I'll assume that you're including EIE and ESE. I wouldn't expect them to be in much need of emotional encouragement of the kind that I was talking about. As far as I'm aware, EIE can be pretty driven. That doesn't invalidate the point. Some types might respond better to certain kinds of emotional encouragement than others, unless we are to say that all types respond the same to all kinds of emotional encouragement.

    "so group participation is sought for confirmation purposes"
    I didn't understand that.

    "I've known copies of all types that've sought encouragement"
    That sounds like every type is equally likely to respond well to every kind of emotional encouragement. I don't have a statistically significant base of socionic data, but dismissing the importance of Fe defeats the point of using socionics to model human interactions.

    If that isn't what you meant, think about what it means for at least some types to respond better to warm emotional expression. If they were taught Math in an environment that made them feel this kind of emotional comfort, they would be more likely to take Math seriously.

    I was never associating Fe with the content of Math. (I called them "external factors") I'm talking about the the typical Math classes and learning environment, which I believe discourage some sociotypes from taking Math seriously.

    "I've an aptitude for maths so I didn't require encouragement"
    Just because you didn't need it doesn't mean others wouldn't.

    "I've met copies of every type who didn't have difficulty with the subject - with or without encouragement"
    Again, just because they didn't need it doesn't mean certain types wouldn't benefit from various kinds of encouragement.


    If the student-teacher relationship can be modeled by socionics, my point still stands. (The point that started it all.) Socionics factors external to the content of Math affect somebody's Math interest, learning, and therefore skill in the subject. Not for those who are passionate or particularly good at Math, but the rest of the common folk.



    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    It's like saying "Which computer hardware is responsible for the calculator app?".

    Well the calculator app is a software and therefore it's just a bunch of programming codes. Socionics can't figure out what that code is, because it doesn't ask that question. It's like looking at a monitor and visually observing what the software does. But it doesn't try to look at its codes, and its hardware that's responsible for the whole thing is rather mysterious.

    If you could try to figure out how the calculator works, then you might have a chance at replicating it. But if all you do is observe some apparent patterns and thinking that pattern will repeat, then it's a hopeless task.
    I could never get behind the hardware/software metaphor for socionics models.
    • Metaphors for models are useful as educational devices. In a debate, a metaphor is counterproductive.
      • A metaphor adds another level of abstraction on top of a model. Models already abstract reality. Why make things more complicated?
      • To keep up a metaphor, you need to create a suspension of disbelief. Constant suspension of disbelief in a debate is counterproductive because it prevents you from grounding yourself in logic.
      • Metaphors hide parts of the underlying model.
      • Metaphors distort the underlying model.
      • If one is very attached to a metaphor, they should make a model from scratch using that metaphor and not add it on top of another model.
    • The human brain and a modern computer work differently. The main proof is that no amount of psychology can be applied to somebody's personal computer. You can find similarities, but they're not the same.
    • Sociotypes have little to do with hardware. I suppose the metaphor is trying to imply that sociotypes cannot change, but that's an added assumption on top of the primary model. Maybe sociotypes really cannot change, but that's irrelevant to the points I made.
    • Sociotypes have little to do with software. Sociotypes were created to describe and predict existing phenomena. No phenomena exist before somebody writes the firmware/software. They have different aims. One aims to predict or describe phenomena, while another aims to create phenomena from scratch. There are more differences than similarities.
    • Human behaviour has little to do with software. You can make the analogy, sure, but if I need to suspend my disbelief for all the differences between humans and software, it's not a useful metaphor.
    • The calculator app was created from scratch with a precise purpose in mind. It is a series of carefully written instructions. "Fe" is a collection of human behaviours aggregated from a wider population and amalgamated into a single, slightly vague concept. "Fe" has no purpose, but the calculator app does.
    • "But if all you do is observe some apparent patterns and thinking that pattern will repeat, then it's a hopeless task."
      Ancient tribespeople didn't know how the Sun worked. They saw the Sun rising periodically and made predictions we can still trust today.
      As far as we know, modern and medieval physics don't represent reality, but they're still very useful and got us pretty far.
      You don't need to understand reality to make predictions about reality.

    You might not agree with everything I said, but any single one of those points is enough for me to dismiss the metaphor. That's just a measure of how much I dislike it. 😛

    I can't dispute any points made within the metaphor, because to me the metaphor is already too shaky to hold a meaningful conversation.
    And my first instinct in a debate is to tear down all metaphors/obscurity anyway.

  21. #21
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    This has nothing to do with socionics. Socionics does not dictate what your career path should be.
    Assume it's not related to work, then the same rule applies, whether you're dealing with relationships, interests, or anything. Logistics can make a difference. E.g., dual is 1/1000 people vs. 1/10. Doesn't this now make a difference whether you can find your dual? Or even if it is related to work: math has the perfect information metabolism for you. Now, what if the degree you enter into is not designed properly? (Another practical issue) It's not the fault of your personality type that you didn't succeed....

  22. #22
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    math has the perfect information metabolism for you.
    What is that information metabolism, specifically?

  23. #23
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    What is that information metabolism, specifically?
    I'm not certain, but I would guess: (generally) Te and Ti together with Ne or Ni.

  24. #24
    fka lungs ashlesha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    Fi/Te 6 sp/sx
    Posts
    13,890
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    Math is my polr

  25. #25
    عالم نفسي thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,043
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Assume it's not related to work, then the same rule applies, whether you're dealing with relationships, interests, or anything. Logistics can make a difference. E.g., dual is 1/1000 people vs. 1/10. Doesn't this now make a difference whether you can find your dual? Or even if it is related to work: math has the perfect information metabolism for you. Now, what if the degree you enter into is not designed properly? (Another practical issue) It's not the fault of your personality type that you didn't succeed....
    So what? If you have realistic expectations about what socionics does and doesn't say, then it most certainly does work.

    This is like blaming the theory of electromagnetism for when your lightbulb burns out. I can see the headlines now: "Maxwell was wrong!"

    Get out of here with that clickbait

  26. #26
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I'm not certain, but I would guess: (generally) Te and Ti together with Ne or Ni.
    I'm inclined to agree. But therein lies my problem. Everybody can use at least two of those and learn to use at least one more in daily life. Your sociotype (as well as general personality) will determine the kind of mathematician you become and how you approach your work, but I think you can be successful regardless of your sociotype.

    I'm stereotyping, but an ESI might push through an impasse through hard work and methodically try all avenues, while an ILE might go to the caffeteria to relax and hope to gain some insights.

    They'll both be capable of using logic and intuition in a secluded environment, in slightly different ways. Mathematical intelligence is key.



    That reminds me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    I've met copies of every type who didn't have difficulty with the subject - with or without encouragement....
    What were the SEE mathematicians like? 😮

  27. #27
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    So what? If you have realistic expectations about what socionics does and doesn't say, then it most certainly does work.

    This is like blaming the theory of electromagnetism for when your lightbulb burns out. I can see the headlines now: "Maxwell was wrong!"

    Get out of here with that clickbait
    I repeat: work was in quotations. I.e., the message is for someone who is finding the theory to not 'work' that there can be external factors that affect one's success in the theory, and therefore it is in some ways a crapshoot. The point is not that the theory is simply wrong because of this...

  28. #28
    WinnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    1,277
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    What were the SEE mathematicians like? 
    FWIW

    I has a good friend, a fellow student at engineering university, I'd type him IEE, because I perceived him as
    -PoLR,
    his main problem was that he can't barely figure out things for himself, so he was the guy who asked to most number of questions at lectures of all students I know.
    My was able to understand the subject matter, e.g. meaning of formulas, most of the time without the need to ask additional questions.
    (He has clearly Ep-temperament.)

    Bonus typing, because the question was about mathematicans. My math teacher I had at university is LSE, most likely.
    Personally I doubt that many mathematicans having as their vulnerable function exist.
    Last edited by WinnieW; 06-16-2019 at 09:39 PM.

  29. #29
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Interior of a T-34
    Posts
    2,436
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Being a certain type does not automatically give one superpowers to do certain things.

  30. #30
    عالم نفسي thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    8,043
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I repeat: work was in quotations. I.e., the message is for someone who is finding the theory to not 'work' that there can be external factors that affect one's success in the theory, and therefore it is in some ways a crapshoot. The point is not that the theory is simply wrong because of this...
    It's still clickbait

  31. #31
    Number 9 large's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Baking bread
    TIM
    ESTP 7w8
    Posts
    2,781
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Sure, it can tell you what you're likely to be good at. But it doesn't mean that every Ti type has to be good at math. And dual relationships may or may not work out for a variety of reasons.
    Yep

  32. #32
    Number 9 large's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Baking bread
    TIM
    ESTP 7w8
    Posts
    2,781
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    What did I say? Because certain things aren't cheap, available, easy to use, (or maybe even designed properly) socionics will then break down in such situations. Please recall: work is in quotations - i.e., it's not exactly why it doesn't work.
    Did socionics say that everything is easy to use?

  33. #33

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    The human brain and a modern computer work differently. The main proof is that no amount of psychology can be applied to somebody's personal computer.
    We can, we just know no known ways of doing how. But nothing says that it's impossible. The human brain is no different in concept than a computer, it just uses neurons instead of silicones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Sociotypes have little to do with hardware.
    I'm saying that types and functions are observations of the results of software. Presumably, we're saying that the hardware is the brain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Sociotypes have little to do with software. Sociotypes were created to describe and predict existing phenomena. No phenomena exist before somebody writes the firmware/software. They have different aims.
    The entire point of "predicting" something is to guess what has never happened before. Socionics is about observing something, and then expecting something, a pattern perhaps, to repeat itself. That's not prediction... that's just expecting the same thing to happen again.

    You don't "predict" something that already exists. You predict the future - which doesn't exist yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Human behaviour has little to do with software.
    Human behavior is largely affected by cognition - that's the software.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    The calculator app was created from scratch with a precise purpose in mind. It is a series of carefully written instructions. "Fe" is a collection of human behaviours aggregated from a wider population and amalgamated into a single, slightly vague concept. "Fe" has no purpose, but the calculator app does.
    Human behavior has no purpose, because it evolved more or less randomly. But how computers calculate and how people have the ability to do calculations more or less work in the same way. What makes humans unique is for their ability to be creative - as in, do something that has never been done before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Ancient tribespeople didn't know how the Sun worked. They saw the Sun rising periodically and made predictions we can still trust today.
    Again, that's not prediction, it's just expecting the same thing to happen. Prediction is about imagining something that has not even been seen before in reality. A so-called "counterfactual" - contrary to the facts.

  34. #34
    jason_m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    People just want to argue and they aren't catching on. I'm just not responding to this thread...
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-17-2019 at 02:03 AM.

  35. #35
    Luk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    We can, we just know no known ways of doing how. But nothing says that it's impossible. The human brain is no different in concept than a computer, it just uses neurons instead of silicones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Presumably, we're saying that the hardware is the brain.
    Saying that we're made up of the same thing is not a convincing comparison. We're all made of hadrons and leptons, but that doesn't mean you will try to convince me to apply the stars as a metaphor for the human mind, right?

    Therefore, what matters in these kinds of metaphors is how an object behaves, not what it's made of.

    CPUs are sequential. Even GPUs are sequential, despite the parallelism. They read instructions in order.
    The brain doesn't do that. It's inherently parallel and its sequential phenomena are generally higher level functions. The opposite of modern computers.

    You might bring up field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), but those present other differences.

    If you plan to convince someone of a metaphor, you need to understand all the specifics of the metaphor. Which specific kind of computer? What's the hardware you're comparing it to? How is the hardware programmable, and the more detailed specs. I know enough about computers to see that such information was glossed over, and that compromises the metaphor further.

    If you do not want to sustain a metaphor at the finest of details (which I wouldn't expect you to; I suggested dropping it), it will not work in certain debates. It won't work right now unless you yourself understand the metaphor entirely. To such an extent that it can be prodded from every angle and hold up to detailed scrutiny. And it has to remain convincing to others, not to you. It's your metaphor and you can do with it as you like, but others don't have an obligation to take it at face value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    I'm saying that types and functions are observations of the results of software.
    As most software users know, you can learn to use a software based on its behaviour. You try out something and see if it does what you expected. You form a mental model of what it will do and use it to form predictions. Quite successfully. Sometimes software behaves unpredictably or it proves our model wrong ("Huh, I didn't know it would do that."), and that seems to be accepted as a fact of life: you learn software as you go.

    So we do the same with socionics. We observed humans, we performed experiments, tried out various hypotheses, and repeated until socionics was born. Then we experimented some more. It's a valid process to predict human behaviour.

    If you insist that you can't use socionics to predict human behaviour, I believe you.
    If you insisted that you couldn't use Microsoft Excel to predictably create spreadsheets, I'd believe you.

    If at least some people are able to use a tool, the fault lies with the user blaming the tool, not with the tool itself.

    And if you want people to stop using a tool you cannot use yourself, there's only one way to do it: invent a better tool.

    The burden of proof is on you in the argument you're making about how socionics cannot be used to predict human behaviour. Others seem to do just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Human behavior is largely affected by cognition - that's the software.
    You can say that A is the same as B if you know what A and B are like. I'll assume you know software. So what's the spec of the human behaviour? No one knows how the human mind works, so you cannot claim that it's like something else. On what basis would you do that?

    All software has a spec.
    Almost all software has a versioning system. You might argue that genetics is the versioning system, but that's not all of the human behaviour. Not by a long shot. You might argue that what happens after birth is just inputs and outputs, but a software's input and output is predictable and well understood. The only way to sustain the metaphor is to say that human behaviour is also predictable, but that goes against your original argument that you cannot predict human behaviour. (While we can predict hardware and software with a strinking degree of accuracy.) And it goes against current knowledge. Nobody knows how to predict human behaviour, therefore you cannot claim that it's any more predictable than a chaotic system.

    And humans are very much like a chaotic system: Small changes in the input yield massive changes in the output later on. Software is not truly chaotic. Hardware is certainly not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Human behavior has no purpose, because it evolved more or less randomly. But how computers calculate and how people have the ability to do calculations more or less work in the same way. What makes humans unique is for their ability to be creative - as in, do something that has never been done before.
    Humans designed computers to calculate using some of the Math humans have created.

    But they still don't do it the same way. To imply that computers and humans add numbers the same way at a biological level implies that humans can intuitively or unconsciously add up integers and floating point numbers. Some can, but we don't know what's going on with savants. When you add numbers together, you are simulating a program in your head. It's at least two levels higher than the equivalent in a computer. The computer does it in hardware. To do it like you, it would need to run a program that can in turn simulate another program that will then be used to add numbers together. So computers and humans are not the same in terms of how they add numbers together.

    You bring up creativity. An olive branch, I suppose. Because only software designed to emulate neurons is capable of creativity. And an emulated human brain can't be used as a metaphor for the human brain, the same way the painting of Mona Lisa can't be used as a metaphor for the woman da Vinci painted. One is a representation of the other. You can't have a metaphor without translating concepts.

    So if no hardware or software is capable of creativity (not unless it's a representation of the human brain), then the hardware/software model is missing something pretty important that the human brain has. And that wouldn't be a big deal if creativity didn't come up in socionics, but it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    The entire point of "predicting" something is to guess what has never happened before. Socionics is about observing something, and then expecting something, a pattern perhaps, to repeat itself. That's not prediction... that's just expecting the same thing to happen again.

    You don't "predict" something that already exists. You predict the future - which doesn't exist yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Again, that's not prediction, it's just expecting the same thing to happen. Prediction is about imagining something that has not even been seen before in reality. A so-called "counterfactual" - contrary to the facts.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/predicting
    https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/predict
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/predict
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/predict#Verb

    It is prediction. And it doesn't even matter because I was the one who introduced the term into the conversation, so I'm not changing the meaning of your words. 😜 You're changing the meaning of mine.



    Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    People aren't catching on. I'm just not responding to this thread...
    What do you mean? Your thread sparked other conversations. 😄

  36. #36

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    Saying that we're made up of the same thing is not a convincing comparison. We're all made of hadrons and leptons, but that doesn't mean you will try to convince me to apply the stars as a metaphor for the human mind, right?

    Therefore, what matters in these kinds of metaphors is how an object behaves, not what it's made of.

    CPUs are sequential. Even GPUs are sequential, despite the parallelism. They read instructions in order.
    The brain doesn't do that. It's inherently parallel and its sequential phenomena are generally higher level functions. The opposite of modern computers.
    Neurons, silicons, atoms, mechanical levers, whatever that you want to use, are all basically just "placeholders". What we need are "points" that connect together using physical objects in order to perform calculations, do logical tasks, and to eventually inspire creativity.

    So in principle, what can be done with neurons can be emulated by silicons, atoms, mechanical levers, whatever that you want to use. It's just that currently, our brains are more powerful and more efficient than modern computers.

    If our brains use parallel processing, then that can be emulated using modern computers that use sequential steps (in fact, we're already moving towards parallelism via multi-core CPUs). It's just that our brains are taking advantage of our neurons that can perform parallel processing, just as computer programmers were programming things with the premise of using sequential CPUs, because that's the most efficient way of doing things.

    So nature is the programmer of our consciousness. It has been programmed onto our brain by nature.

    So the problem is not the hardware, but it's the software. If you say that it can't be done, then there's nothing that says that it can't. The brain is a physical object that follows the laws of physics. It's just a matter of understanding how.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    As most software users know, you can learn to use a software based on its behaviour. You try out something and see if it does what you expected. You form a mental model of what it will do and use it to form predictions. Quite successfully. Sometimes software behaves unpredictably or it proves our model wrong ("Huh, I didn't know it would do that."), and that seems to be accepted as a fact of life: you learn software as you go.
    Yes, because we consciously or unconsciously create models in our heads, and then expect certain things to happen - we predict, essentially. One of the ways to do this is to simply expect the same thing that has happened to happen again.

    But the entire reason why the same thing happens again, is because it has been programmed that way to do so. If the programming code changes, then it no longer happens again.

    We could certainly have a deeper and more accurate understanding if we knew how the software was programmed and therefore know exactly how it operates. Or perhaps, we could ask the programmer for instructions.

    But if the programmer died or something, or if we didn't know the code, then the next best thing is to guess how the software might be programmed. And since consciousness and human psychology has been programmed by nature, we can't ask anyone - we'd have to guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    So we do the same with socionics. We observed humans, we performed experiments, tried out various hypotheses, and repeated until socionics was born. Then we experimented some more. It's a valid process to predict human behaviour.
    How do we perform experiments, and how do we have hypotheses from human observations? By definition, experiments and hypotheses are guesses that has never been observed before. We want to use our observations in order to check if our guesses are correct or not.

    You can't predict human behavior by just expecting the same thing to happen again. Someone might suddenly change his mind, or he might act differently in different situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    It is prediction. And it doesn't even matter because I was the one who introduced the term into the conversation, so I'm not changing the meaning of your words.  You're changing the meaning of mine.
    The future is different from the past. You don't predict something by just expecting the same thing to happen.

    "Analyzing the past to predict the future" is probably one of the gravest mistakes ever proposed. It's also kind of an oxymoron.

    As always, you predict the future by imagining a counterfactual situation. It's an untested idea, it's a hypothesis, it's a guess.

  37. #37
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luk View Post
    ...........What were the SEE mathematicians like? 
    Rather chatty for a programmer, which may partially be why she became group leader; she told me more about herself than I really wanted to hear or cared to remember. If I recall correctly, she was trained in electrochemistry but had a bent for stochastic processes, which is likely why the switch to tracking software. She seemed somewhat flirty with certain males and seemed to think herself more attractive than she really was; with her staff, I caught glimpses of her acting non-serious and non-focused but she certainly wasn't that way with clients like me.......

    a.k.a. I/O

  38. #38
    aka Feathers, Penny Dreadful Baboooshka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Behind your tonsils
    TIM
    4 so/sx strigoi
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    ^agreed, my SLI mum was a lil math freak, she used to say that math is beautiful as it always gives you the correct results.
    469 so/sx

    “It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

  39. #39
    a two horned unicorn renegade Nihilist 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Logical supermacy torturing So(u)ls
    TIM
    ILE-C-7 5-stoolchart
    Posts
    4,367
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

    I wish you continue to get wrong answers just make you feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx
    I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.


    Due to Fi PoLR do not send PM's, please. 50/50 likelihood to get a reply if I'm going to even read your messages. Let's keep things public.

  40. #40
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    "so group participation is sought for confirmation purposes"
    I didn't understand that.
    @Luk If you haven't already read, this shows why I'm not on the same page as most:

    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...tterns-by-I-O?

    a.k.a. I/O

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •