Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does God have the right to reassign your gender?

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Bolded is the part that cuts to our disagreement: the fact that something has to pass on its genes in order to not be flawed seems arbitrary to me. Besides, in a way, they can pass on their genes, by devoting more attention to the rearing of their nephews and nieces, they give their genes a survival advantage by proxy.
    I'm aware they can confer group-selection advantages.

I just don't see the justification of rearing someone as a 'female' due to an isolated mutational abnormality that prevented them from being a phenotypical male.

Literally no one would argue that we shouldn't correct genetic blindness, PKU, and many other conditions. Yet somehow gender should be a special exemption?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckrz View Post
    I'm aware they can confer group-selection advantages.

I just don't see the justification of rearing someone as a 'female' due to an isolated mutational abnormality that prevented them from being a phenotypical male.

Literally no one would argue that we shouldn't correct genetic blindness, PKU, and many other conditions. Yet somehow gender should be a special exemption?
    Being blind is a debilitating weakness; being female isn't. Without being told about it, absolutely nobody would have even found out about their condition, including themselves. You'd also have to go out of your way to perform a procedure that's potentially invasive.

But we're not going to agree, so let's just leave it at that.
    Last edited by xerx; 06-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckrz View Post
    Then they can't afford it.

I wouldn't expect such an intervention to be affordable to everyone upon initial release. But in time there's no reason to expect it wouldn't be as readily available as routine vaccinations are now.
    So it's wrong to deny corrective lenses to babies unless the infants or their parents can't afford it. Poor baby: it better be born with a resume. Interestingly enough, there's a gateway period for the brain to learn how to use the eyes to see in early childhood. If correction isn't provided then, it's likely the infant would be blind for the rest of its life. Talk about a major burden on society! It would be cheaper overall to give the lenses out for free to those who can't afford them.

And speaking of prices coming down over time, and not going up, have you seen the price of insulin and epipens in recent years? I've red stories recently about something as simple as insulin being jacked up to thousands of dollars, and young people dying because they couldn't afford it. Oh well, huh?

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w7 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    So it's wrong to deny corrective lenses to babies unless the infants or their parents can't afford it. Poor baby: it better be born with a resume. Interestingly enough, there's a gateway period for the brain to learn how to use the eyes to see in early childhood. If correction isn't provided then, it's likely the infant would be blind for the rest of its life. Talk about a major burden on society! It would be cheaper overall to give the lenses out for free to those who can't afford them.
    There's always going to be disparities in access to medical treatments because it's a finite resource like anything else. And someone somewhere is always going to be willing & able to pay for something better.

Unless you want to ban all medical innovations until the govt comes up with corresponding programs to make them 'free' for everyone.

And speaking of prices coming down over time, and not going up, have you seen the price of insulin and epipens in recent years? I've red stories recently about something as simple as insulin being jacked up to thousands of dollars, and young people dying because they couldn't afford it. Oh well, huh?
    Yes, I've seen. If you want the price to go down, ban patents instead.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is nature the only force that's allowed to take a crap on the human gender binary?
    I think anyone can identify as whatever gender they'd like as long as it's grounded in some sort of fact. I don't care what your privates or nipples or any other parts of your body look like, but please don't do it as a political move only. I actually would like it better if people would be more cultural and less political about it, but that would actually be edgy and we can't have that. Instead, we need to remember to make a huge deal of where people go to the bathroom so they can't go in peace like they otherwise would've.

TIM
    Gamma SF. E2 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God has the right to do anything if he created you. As for reassigning gender, that's already been done

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a mental thing.

I know plenty first hand, you know being gay and out and all.

Its a mental thing, I don't care what study you pull up or what argument.

By all means make the change, but it comes from your mind, not from nature.

Argue its all nature thats fine too.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this gets to the heart of your position -- you're presupposing that AIS a "flaw." Why is this a warranted assumption -- is it because AIS doesn't fit into a neat binary? Lots of things don't. Why should we have the right to reshape people's individuality to match what we consider to be politically correct?
    He doesn't want to think about what'd happen if he had to be born a woman. Fortunately for him, I don't think Nature is arbitrary either, just very complicated. Otherwise, we all could've been born as rocks and that would be stupid, but we all know deep down things like that can't happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12