Thread: ISTP or ESTJ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTP or ESTJ?

I have a friend who's type I am starting to doubt. I used to think he was an ESTJ, but am now starting to think that he could be an ISTP with a logical subtype. I started to think about this when I saw Roger Clemens typed as an ISTP, because he reminds me of my friend.

My friend likes to be the organizer of things, but is only fairly organized himself. He says, "Yeah, my room is messy, but I know where everything is, so I can find things." He is very sociable, and it doesn't seem that he has problems with people.

He can also be lazy at times. If we aren't playing a sport, than he's favorite thing to do is relaxing. It seems like he is always trying to get comfortable. Also, He seems to be annoyed by ESxP types, or at least people who are showing heavy .

He is always open to new things and ideas. He doesn't seem close minded at all. He tries to be creative, but I've always seen this as a weak point for him. A lot of the time he would 'steal' a joke or an idea (like from a T.V. show) and try to use it. This is why, when we were younger, I thought he lacked originality even though he convinced other people.

He can do somethings that I considered nerdy, too. If there is a big movie (like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars) out he will see it several times and than also buy the collectors edition DVD when it comes out. It's not uncommon for him to watch something he likes again and again and again.

Interestingly, I recently met a guy who looks, dresses and walks EXACTLY like my friend. So much so that I am convinced that they have to be the same type. The only diffrence is this other guy is quiet and doesn't seem sociable. Maybe he is just a quiet ESTJ?

One last thing. My friend told me, "You should run for President, I'd vote for you!" That seems like an odd thing for your Benefactor to say.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert, and that may not be enough--or the right kind of--information to be able to distinguish his type. But, your friend does sound alot like my ISTp sister, except that my sister isn't really sociable (around strangers anyway).
    TiNe, LII, INTj, etc.
    "I feel like I should be making a sarcastic comment right now, but you're just so cute!" - Shego, Kim Possible

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XcaliburGirl
    I'm no expert, and that may not be enough--or the right kind of--information to be able to distinguish his type. But, your friend does sound alot like my ISTp sister, except that my sister isn't really sociable (around strangers anyway).
    I know I could have had more info, but I'm not strarting from scratch here. He's either got to be an ISTP or ESTJ. No other types make sense and even the functions describe him well. I was trying to post things that might distinguish between ISTP/ESTJ. I wanted to know if any of thins was typical behavior to either type.

A couple more thins. What he enjoys (besides playing sports) is art (as in drawing, playing insturments, etc..) and things like chess. Now that I think of it these sound more like IxxP intrests than ExxJ interests. Also, does any one else know if it is common for ISTPs to be obsessed with things, like how I described the movies. He does this with other things to. Thanks.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which world is your friend more in touch with?
    World of possibilties (p) v Emotional world (j)

If the first option, then ISTp.

If the second option, then ESTj.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrainTypes.com
    Jung coined Introversion from the Latin, meaning turning inward. Neuroscience tells us that an Introvert's brain is physiologically and neurologically programmed to reflect more than act on matters. Therefore, regardless of whether ISTPs are more on the outgoing or reserved side, they are far more reflective than their closest cousins, the ESTPs. One way this is manifested is that ISTPs normally find it more difficult than ESTPs to shut their brains off when trying to sleep at night. And finally, to help us better understand and identify the differences found in people of the same Brain Type, such as ISTPs, JN has developed learning aids to illustrate the basic 3 or 4 looks within each design.
    :wink: . Remember, even Mike Tyson is an ISTP.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend who is istp. He can be social when he wants to but often he is reclusive. He plays the guitar and even writes his own music and lyrics. He often tries to attract attention to himself with by placing himself were people are but waits for others to approach him. He seems to like children and will even babysit a little boy and use him to attract attention to himself.
    He is very stubborn and when he decides something there is no changing his mind. His pride is often his downfall and I think he is starting to see that but he simply has a very difficult time giving in to other people, even when he really wants to. We spent years as close friends but I would always have to take the initiative and be very persistent. Lately he will not respond to me because of a conflict over a girl. However, he sometimes leaves sad sounding messages on my phone "just checking up on you". I really miss him but I cant keep running behind someone who is moody and stubborn.
    Topaz

Creepy-

Just a couple of questions:
    How does your friend react if someone touches him accidentally?
    What happens when he is on vacation for a long time? Does he really start missing his work or studies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    Which world is your friend more in touch with?
    World of possibilties (p) v Emotional world (j)

If the first option, then ISTp.

If the second option, then ESTj.

After thinking about it hear, I'm staring to think ISTP fits him better. And yes, I would say "World of Possibilities" is the better choice.

Just a couple of questions: How does your friend react if someone touches him accidentally?
    I've never seen him overreact when someone touches him.

What happens when he is on vacation for a long time? Does he really start missing his work or studies.
    No.

Creepy-

it is me, the previous guest
    Not quite sute what you mean with overreact. Normally ISTPs are very sensitive to touches and tend to withdraw hand, move arms and so on to avoid unwanted touches and physical contacts. It is explained by their (our ) basic
    ok, probably the question with work/studies and vacation was not a good one. Then another one:
    Is he spontaneous or always sticks to plans and is very unsettled when he has to adjust to new (changed) circumstances?

IMHO, ISTPs and ESTJs are soooo different

Creepy-April

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Not quite sute what you mean with overreact. Normally ISTPs are very sensitive to touches and tend to withdraw hand, move arms and so on to avoid unwanted touches and physical contacts. It is explained by their (our ) basic

Not quite SURE what you mean...