TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this NE?

*expired*
    Last edited by Delilah; 07-29-2019 at 06:30 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People lose interests and develop new ones all the time, regardless of Sociotype. But Ne is relentless in pursuit of interesting ideas, so it’s typically more associated with novelty — ideas usually become less interesting once familiar.

The extraverted functions in general I’d think would be more associated with change. So maybe think about why you want change — that might lead you in the right direction.

Ne I’d say would want change out of what essentially amounts to boredom — as shallow as that sounds. Other justifications (practical considerations, health reasons, etc.) might be given as justifications, but the root of it will always really be that the Ne-valuer feels unbearably suffocated in a stagnant environment.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I had a job in my late twenties that was easily the worst job I ever had. The owner wasn't happy unless he was making someone's life miserable. He exploited his workers and was incredibly dishonest and cheap. Unfortunately, the economy was so bad that I couldn't find another job right away, and eventually, my self-esteem dropped so low that I couldn't even get hired at jobs I didn't want.

It is very hard to describe how unhappy I was, but I was able to preserve some sense of myself by recalling the last time in my life that I was happy. At that time, I was involved with a group of amateur astronomers, so I decided to return to that situation and I volunteered to work at the local astronomy club. They liked me, and in a couple months, I found a much better job.

So I'd say, do what has worked in the past.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I had a job in my late twenties that was easily the worst job I ever had. The owner wasn't happy unless he was making someone's life miserable. He exploited his workers and was incredibly dishonest and cheap. Unfortunately, the economy was so bad that I couldn't find another job right away, and eventually, my self-esteem dropped so low that I couldn't even get hired at jobs I didn't want.

It is very hard to describe how unhappy I was, but I was able to preserve some sense of myself by recalling the last time in my life that I was happy. At that time, I was involved with a group of amateur astronomers, so I decided to return to that situation and I volunteered to work at the local astronomy club. They liked me, and in a couple months, I found a much better job.

So I'd say, do what has worked in the past.
    Thanks for sharing that, interestingly tho sometimes the present becomes the past, aka i've been at this current field for a couple of years now so have some already 'past experience' in it which has worked but i've had to strain so much, but i guess i'm also afraid that my "investment' in the field to-date might be in vain and i'd have been wasting a good couple of years.

So you think this is life circumstance outside of the scope of socionics?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say abandoning an interest in favor of another is Ne at all. More of a human universal, at least excepting the types that do one thing for their entire lives (IxTps).

Cycling between interests is more like it and to get all those things together in one environment is the ideal. Again, probably mostly universal. But I will echo other posts by saying I think for Ne the interests all have an element of pushing forward, probably to avoid boredom or just out of curiosity for the unrealized. And I had more but my mind just blanked and I can't get it back.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I wouldn't say abandoning an interest in favor of another is Ne at all. More of a human universal, at least excepting the types that do one thing for their entire lives (IxTps).

Cycling between interests is more like it and to get all those things together in one environment is the ideal. Again, probably mostly universal. But I will echo other posts by saying I think for Ne the interests all have an element of pushing forward, probably to avoid boredom or just out of curiosity for the unrealized. And I had more but my mind just blanked and I can't get it back.
    Things / responsibilities have such a strong hold of me that with much difficulty and after a major attitude shift am i able to start seriously take in other possibilities, and although it may well be true, what you say here, that a bit of change of interests is universal, i have the concern over whether i'm being held back by this strange attachment to the current (far from ideal) situation or whether i'm just being cautious about it in order to avoid any mistakes/future regrets. Thanks.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Things / responsibilities have such a strong hold of me that with much difficulty and after a major attitude shift am i able to start seriously take in other possibilities, and although it may well be true, what you say here, that a bit of change of interests is universal, i have the concern over whether i'm being held back by this strange attachment to the current (far from ideal) situation or whether i'm just being cautious about it in order to avoid any mistakes/future regrets. Thanks.
    Hmm. Assuming you made this thread to reconsider your self-typing (your OP gave me that impression; I really apologize if I was wrong) : I’m not very positive of this, especially since I don’t know you in real life, but this doesn’t sound very Ne-like to me — particularly your first sentence, about “things having a strong hold of” you. According to my understanding/experience, Ne types are unconsciously very averse to even getting in positions like that; they don’t like being tied down by physical reality at all, and feel such dread at the idea of it they’d be loath to take on any responsibilities or “things” in the first place they couldn’t easily sever ties to later — or they’d be things they would never want to sever ties to.

Since I think I recall you think ESI is a possibility, I could see that working. You don’t strike me as EII. But then I’m a terrible typer; take me with a grain of salt.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Hmm. Assuming you made this thread to reconsider your self-typing (your OP gave me that impression; I really apologize if I was wrong) : I’m not very positive of this, especially since I don’t know you in real life, but this doesn’t sound very Ne-like to me — particularly your first sentence, about “things having a strong hold of” you. According to my understanding/experience, Ne types are unconsciously very averse to even getting in positions like that; they don’t like being tied down by physical reality at all, and feel such dread at the idea of it they’d be loath to take on any responsibilities or “things” in the first place they couldn’t easily sever ties to later — or they’d be things they would never want to sever ties to.

Since I think I recall you think ESI is a possibility, I could see that working. You don’t strike me as EII. But then I’m a terrible typer; take me with a grain of salt.
    I suppose it is hard to say, because like what do we have as a standard to compare what i said about the 'hold of things' to? Does another EII feel less or more attached/bound? And even then there are variations between people of a type. And i do appreciate your comment even if this thread was not meant to type me (but no worries!), it was rather an exploration of what I thought might be Ne. ETA: I have made more changes work wise / place wise / interest wise than many people i've come across yet there are always those who best me :-) Thanks.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think the way most people deal with this problem is by networking with people who can help them understand their talents and find them opportunities.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In terms of the Big Five, I'd expect individuals who score higher than average on Extraversion and lower on Conscientiousness to be more inclined to move about from interest to interest (so yes, Ne and Se).

In the NEO PI-R (an instrument that divides the Big Five factors into 30 further facets), there is a facet of Extraversion called Excitement-seeking, for example.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Is abandoning one interest in favour of another NE?
    No, as interests may relate to any of functions. You calculate (Ti) and then switch to a candy (Si). It's not because a candy is better possibility compared to your calculations - it's just time to eat.
    Ne is about feeling hiden traits, seeing of the ways other possible and mb better in the similar. You eat one apple and then irrationally suspect the other one mb more tasty - it's Ne.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    You calculate (Ti) and then switch to a candy (Si). It's not because a candy is better possibility compared to your calculations - it's just time to eat.
    ... You eat one apple and then irrationally suspect the other one mb more tasty - it's Ne.
    Lol, sometimes you are really funny.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ne is (mental) exploration of the possibilities. Its very random, scattered type of thinking, imagining, mostly fruitless, but sometimes an idea of a Ne ego (paired with Ti or sometime Fi) can change the world once they set the quadra progression in motion. Simply changing your job is not really Ne.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My eventually biased answer: Modern life in places that allow us to change careers, partners, and locations relatively easily means a lot of us will do that. So I think it's NTRish for people to want to switch careers. But I think the different types / quadras may conceive of doing so differently.

I switched careers only when faced with no other choice. I moved into another new area beyond the original switch because I thought I'd be able to maintain some of my earlier role and keep some continuity. Switching feels kind of like a failure of mine, even when I know other people don't see it that way.

I've noticed that at least some Deltas seem to view a major change (location, career, partner) as the answer to their problems. I find the quick jump to a new lily pad extremely disorienting. It's the kind of move I make only in a crisis, and since a crisis is often something I sort of knew was coming, it's more like dealing with the inevitable than responding to something totally unforeseen. Philosophically, I tend to think that since the common denominator in all my problems is me, changing a lot of external conditions may not make things better and instead may worsen them. As I warned, this gets into my ingrained biases. I could probably benefit from changing things more, and more often, than I do.

Your question was whether this is Ne, and it could be related to Ne. I see that the LSIs I know have a similar pattern to mine, don't change things easily, even if they know they need to, and they are Ne polr.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@golden

about deltas and change, you get a lot of 'grass is greener on the otherside'.

I can always tell just by this I'm working with deltas because they tend to complain about their current situation and dream of how nice the next one could be.

It has something to do with intuition of opportunities and also harmony of the external situation. As the harmony outside improves, the harmony inside does as well and they settle.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    @golden

I can always tell just by this I'm working with deltas because they tend to complain about their current situation and dream of how nice the next one could be.

It has something to do with intuition of opportunities and also harmony of the external situation. As the harmony outside improves, the harmony inside does as well and they settle.
    Yes, this sounds right, I just wanted to describe it from my own perspective because I spent a long time having to accommodate it and not articulating how it worked against me. Deltas can be legitimately good at these radical shifts, but I am not. My outside harmony doesn't improve from the changes because I take too long to recover. Since my planning is long-term and gradual, sudden fundamental changes mean I'm taken back to zero and can't make progress toward my own goals.

I also prefer to avoid problems from the outset, versus having to solve them after the fact, although that ends up being a weakness of mine because then I find it difficult to feel certain how to proceed--after all, what path contains no pitfalls? The decisiveness of an LSE can look pleasant at first because it promises to relieve me of some of my mental burden, but it's a trick . One reason being, their decisions can't take into account my thinking process and long-term trajectory. ENFPs come up with all kinds of ideas, but it can just add to my already oversaturated thinking process.

I think I use Ne myself, to come up with lots of ideas, but it's more like a modeling of possibilities done in order to be sure I'm not overlooking something, or just to make myself feel better. Like if I'm discouraged and down, I might spend five or ten minutes imagining what it would be like to move to a radically different place or have a totally different career. It can be a fun topic of conversation, or it can relieve a little pressure to think that way, but I don't care to sustain it. I do build new skills over time so that I'm in a position to shift as situations change, and sometimes these interests can look random, and get entertained and dropped. But it's nothing central to my life.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have asked this previously, but can't find the thread to continue the conversation. Is abandoning one interest in favour of another NE? Is considering the 'thing' left behind (the option one opted out of) Ne? Or is it Se? is it something else entirely?

I am considering switching gears career interest-wise, again. Right now it is 'theoretical' consideration, somewhat abstract but it might come to fruition. I am thinking of going back to something I used to be involved in some time ago. I feel a need for something else. Of course, it could just be that i merely don't like my co-workers and changing fields due to that might be less than wise. Comments, own life examples, etc, welcome.

Lastly, we can all change our mind at one point, have regrets etc. I am aware of this, so please share w/e you are reasonably sure is socionics-related, thanks.
    I think it's 'classically' (i.e., Jungian) Ne when you make a habit of doing this, and you do it before even finishing what you've started. As someone Ne, I have dozens of ideas and projects I could pursue at any one time. I therefore generally pick the most 'interesting' one to pursue. However, every so often, new possibilities 'open up', and this can then supersede a choice I've already made, often causing me to abandon a project I've already started. Another issue is: sometimes the beaten path can all of a sudden out of nowhere become so 'dull' that you have to just give up on it to avoid living through drudgery. This was the case for me with philosophy: I reached my potential with it a long time ago, but kept finding that I was somehow being forced to come back to it again and again, while I would rather have pursued something scientific. In my case, this was like being in 'prison', being forced to make a lifelong career out of something I don't find interesting. However, that has now cycled around, and I can study philosophy with satisfaction once again.

So, in short, 'no', Ne is not simply about abandoning interests, *unless* it is because you have dozens of prospects and possibilities, and you abandon some in favour of those that are more interesting...
    Last edited by jason_m; 06-10-2019 at 08:20 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I have asked this previously, but can't find the thread to continue the conversation. Is abandoning one interest in favour of another NE? Is considering the 'thing' left behind (the option one opted out of) Ne? Or is it Se? is it something else entirely?

I am considering switching gears career interest-wise, again. Right now it is 'theoretical' consideration, somewhat abstract but it might come to fruition. I am thinking of going back to something I used to be involved in some time ago. I feel a need for something else. Of course, it could just be that i merely don't like my co-workers and changing fields due to that might be less than wise. Comments, own life examples, etc, welcome.

Lastly, we can all change our mind at one point, have regrets etc. I am aware of this, so please share w/e you are reasonably sure is socionics-related, thanks.
    I do believe that egos would be more interested in seeking novel opportunities than non egos. However, that doesn't mean that only egos are capable of seeking and succeeding at other opportunities, but rather they are are more keen to try a new direction instead of staying on the direction they're already heading in and putting in more effort at adapting to the circumstances they are in. So the default approach to being in an undesirable situation would be to bulldoze ahead and tackle that problem by making it better where as the default approach for the same situation would be to constantly seek out alternatives that offer similar advantages and less disadvantages. Of course, in practice it can play out differently because of obstacles that are in the way or are not for each individual and situation regardless of type, but at least in theory this is how I believe it plays out IMO.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    @golden

Hm, i wouldn't say I have noticed something like that being a 'property' of delta-ness or what have you. The only person who comes to mind who had a pronounced sense of what you describe here was a NI/SE type, in fact it has been a couple of different Ni/Se types i've known who have given me the impression of desiring the 'one out of reach' atm.

But maybe i misunderstood you. Would you be able to elaborate?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I do believe that egos would be more interested in seeking novel opportunities than non egos. However, that doesn't mean that only egos are capable of seeking and succeeding at other opportunities, but rather they are are more keen to try a new direction instead of staying on the direction they're already heading in and putting in more effort at adapting to the circumstances they are in. So the default approach to being in an undesirable situation would be to bulldoze ahead and tackle that problem by making it better where as the default approach for the same situation would be to constantly seek out alternatives that offer similar advantages and less disadvantages. Of course, in practice it can play out differently because of obstacles that are in the way or are not for each individual and situation regardless of type, but at least in theory this is how I believe it plays out IMO.
    ^

Well said.