Thread: Fi and connecting to animals...especially cats.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi and connecting to animals...especially cats.

Can't count how many Fi leads (and those who value it or are strong at it, overall) I know that are veterinarians, pet groomers/sitters/walkers and/or somehow have a (sometimes) odd affinity for animals and even deeper than that, feel connected to them on a spiritual plane. Just wondering if there's something about Fi (e.g., revulsion/attraction, closing psychological distances, "theory of mind") that predisposes it towards "relating" to animals in a certain way.

I've always had a fascination with cats, big and small--I feel like I get them somehow. As a group, they are very Fi/Se to me. lol > Not very outwardly emotive and expressive like a dog can be, solitary by nature, agile, lithe, moody, sometimesy, do their own thing, give few fucks, get affectionate when they feel like it/want something from you, they only want to do shit on their own terms, etc....

Anyway, I've always been one to get into random staring matches with cats, especially strays on the street. Then there will be this weird zone out and I may start attempting to read their minds where they say shit like "damn, it's tough out here for a thug, barely getting by on scraps, all alone, but Imma keep hustling tho." And cats can be cautious and weary as fuck around strangers, but I'll stare them down and attempt to "close the psychological distance," and I swear, occasionally one will wander over or start to follow me around. lol If only it were that easy for humans. I wonder if there is some primitive thing about animals (some more than others) that ignites something equally primitive in us thereby making them seemingly easier to "get" on a base level.

My Fi is about 7 years old and basic as hell, maturation wise, but I wonder if stronger, more experienced Fi valuers have a more nuanced grasp or understanding of animals that can make it easier to "see them" and relate to them and manifest great empathy for them, which is valuable seeing as how there is a great intellectual and communicative divide between us.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

They are animals. An easier way to approach for logical is to think it as even playfield of analogies and levels starting from subnuclear structure.

For example one way to look at ourselves is though the benefit aspects and who uses who. Maybe wheat uses us or what about toxoplasma.

Geocentrism... what a bunch of bollocks.

By using structural logic I can triangulate why trees have souls starting from presupposed axioms without reel feels.

It does not really help with handling those animals. Bunch of ESI's are huge on animals, noted.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like LIIs love their cats too. Just look at the LII in my avatar.

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to make cat traps. I don't hurt the cat. But you can tell what EII will do to me...
    Last edited by karas; 05-30-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    An easier way to approach ... is ... starting from subnuclear structure.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo View Post
    I wonder if there is some primitive thing about animals (some more than others) that ignites something equally primitive in us thereby making them seemingly easier to "get" on a base level.
    Jokes aside, we have evolved from a common ancestor, so there are some basic similarities between other mammals and humans. However, I would not ascribe spotting those similarities to Fi. One of the famous dog trainers, Cesar Millan, is SLE and Fi-PoLR, and there are pet trainers of other types, so understanding where animals come from can be easily accomplished on Ti or any other information element. The approaches and methods, however, be different and contingent on the person's type.

The problem with Fi and getting close to pets is the same as Fi and getting close to other people - the egocentric, subjective feeling gets hijacked by the person's own emotions, wishes and wants, and then their Fi sees nothing else in its wake. As Carl Jung has written in his Psychological Types, Fi due to its subjectivity runs the risk of becoming an emotional passion that locks into itself, which prevents it from feeling sympathy for other people and living beings, including their pets. Which is how Fi users engage in egregiously selfish behavior and still feel personally justified to this. You wouldn't want to be a cat or a dog, neither any other sort of pet, belonging to this type of Fi-valuing person.

... But, wherever the unconscious subject is identified with the ego, the mysterious power of the intensive feeling (Fi) is also transformed into banal and arrogant ambition, vanity, and petty tyranny. This produces a type of woman most regrettably distinguished by her unscrupulous ambition and mischievous cruelty. But this change in the picture leads also to neurosis.
    ... Such a case never fails to create an impression of sentimental self-love, with its constant effort to arouse interest and even morbid self-admiration just as the subjectified consciousness of the introverted thinker, striving after an abstraction of abstractions, only attains a supreme intensity of a thought-process in itself quite empty, so the intensification of egocentric feeling (Fi) only leads to a contentless passionateness, which merely feels itself.
    http://wikisocion.net/en/index.php?t...ological_Types

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like turtles

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Fi predisposes to adopt to emotional needs of anyone.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t stand cats. There seems something creepy evil about them to me. I was given a stray once and I was uncomfortable with it in the house. It just creeped me out. I felt like it was plotting to murder me. It’s like a small stalking silent predator. It lasted 2 days.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I can’t stand cats. There seems something creepy evil about them to me. I was given a stray once and I was uncomfortable with it in the house. It just creeped me out. I felt like it was plotting to murder me. It’s like a small stalking silent predator. It lasted 2 days.
    @aster, you're not wrong. Cats always have murder on their minds.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest animal lovers I've met. A friend of mine who is SEI harmonizing she used to live with two dogs amd two cats. And my cousin who probably is EII harmonizing and he has had all kinds of animals since he was a kid.

One summer my EII cousin found an injured bird. We took care of it and made a bed for it and fed it with flies and I think blueberries. We were kids then. He wanted to continue but my dad started talking about killing the bird to end its suffering (that would have been the right thing, we kids didnt know better). Finally it died and we buried it. I still know were the grave is.

I also went with him to an animal shop to buy rats

My cousin was very stubborn as a child. He decided something and then he had to do it.

My SEI friend I 've met as an adult. She was bad at disciplining her dogs so they seemed almost wild. She also kept bees and got honey from them.
    Last edited by Tallmo; 05-29-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Cats always have murder on their minds.
    It's that a human perspective on animals behavior, based on ethical reasoning?
    I doubt that animals share that perspective, they don't have this moral limits.

Besides that are not all animals that are predators and carnivores are more or less murderer in their natural environment? They kill for food to survice, they got only the choice between hunting living creatures or starving to death... and the vast majority of animals aren't suicidal inclined.

...now I'm under the impression I just started a conversation on basic ethical principals.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SF types are nearer to then animal realm
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Did you eat it? I heard they taste kind of like rabbit.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Once mine always mine. I don’t have to birth it to love it
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @aster, you're not wrong. Cats always have murder on their minds.
    Score of our two cats in the past two weeks: three blue tit chicks and two mice. Brought indoors as a present to one of us, so sweet!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Score of our two cats in the past two weeks: three blue tit chicks and two mice. Brought indoors as a present to one of us, so sweet!
    These cats are Enneagram type 3, they expect to receive compliments and praise for their success at hunting.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    These cats are Enneagram type 3, they expect to receive compliments and praise for their success at hunting.
    Yeah, my cat is a female LIE E3 and she gets mad if you don't praise her for her hunting. She also enjoys the attention of F type cats from nearby houses, but constantly fights with a SLE E8 cat where they both end up bruised.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vast majority of cats have gamma values... I've never seen a cat with or ,
    Cats "character" is based on + +

...and cats are no NT types, of course...
    Last edited by WinnieW; 05-30-2019 at 04:52 PM.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Did you eat it? I heard they taste kind of like rabbit.
    No, I didn’t eat it

But it’s good to know they taste like rabbit if I happen to get in a fix.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    The problem with Fi and getting close to pets is the same as Fi and getting close to other people - the egocentric, subjective feeling gets hijacked by the person's own emotions, wishes and wants, and then their Fi sees nothing else in its wake. As Carl Jung has written in his Psychological Types, Fi due to its subjectivity runs the risk of becoming an emotional passion that locks into itself, which prevents it from feeling sympathy for other people and living beings, including their pets. Which is how Fi users engage in egregiously selfish behavior and still feel personally justified to this. You wouldn't want to be a cat or a dog, neither any other sort of pet, belonging to this type of Fi-valuing person.
    y u gotta b heyting
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Caan View Post
    y u gotta b heyting
    ez no haytee, ez disappoint, watching this IEE's pets go to absolute shite

to the point where another IEE has to convo me and ask how we can rescue them

and then someone be like FI fiiiiils pets pets pets

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh ok
    Androgynous Robot Dreamer - Not really human, but good at pretending.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    blame the merry quadras

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I connect with bears using Se.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's an Fi/Fe thing.

Fi = You can connect with them on a deeper level.
    Fe = Fun animals are fun to be around and you enjoy playing with them when they display emotion.

To me, they're suboptimal company, like babies that will never grow up. They're cute/fun, but I don't really care about them. Playing with cats is okay though because they aren't emotionally demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by The Perpetual Now View Post
    Seems like LIIs love their cats too. Just look at the LII in my avatar.
    oh shit. We must add that to the socionics test.