Thread: Depression

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Depression

I wanted to make a thread open to discussing how each enneagram type deals with the aspect of depression, disappointment and intense sadness.As I stated before this is more of a discussion thread and and I am hoping that people will post their thoughts on the matter.Personal experience is highly valued above information from books as it tends to be more authentic and relateable as opposed to the generic descriptions on google, which I notice most forum users copy and paste instead of personally analyzing the infomation and giving personal input.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Enneagram 8w7 3w2 6w7.

I deal with short term depression by drinking tons of coffee. If I'm in considerable emotional pain, I also take two aspirins. I was somehow fortunate enough to avoid having tried heroin or any of the other physical pain killers that also affect emotional pain.

If I'm disappointed by something, I will try to alter the circumstances, and if that doesn't work, then I will forget about the problem and can move on fairly quickly.

I don't seem to get sad. I have no idea why not, but I can't really remember ever being sad. Maybe I'm in denial, or else I turn potential sadness into anger and action, IDK. I think my emotional range is fairly limited. -Wait. Once, when I thought my dad was dying, I was sad for a few minutes. Maybe that's the limit, though.

I think that depression, disappointment, and intense sadness result from a real or perceived inability to alter the situation. If you change something, or take action, then the problem often goes away.

Note:
    I recently cut my caffeine consumption down almost to zero. After getting past the problem of falling asleep at odd moments, I found that I have more energy to take actions, and that has been having better results than what I was getting from drinking lots of coffee.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-24-2019 at 04:58 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to welcome the depression and accept it. Observe it. Like a guest in my house. But without being consumed by it. I think it works well. I'm a 9
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will start with my experience which lead me to making this thread to begin with. I have some experience in the enneagram although I am not expert. I do not even know my own type but thats besides the point. I usually am very secretive with my personal information to strangers but I know I must give in order to recieve. To give a brief understanding of myself iam a usually upbeat carefree guy. Quite a quirky guy and almost alittle weird to be honest although I am very introverted to the point of being a loner. I get along with groups and have many friends but lately I usually tend to withdraw from them even to the point of separating from many of them. However i was always a loner being in a group but never a part of it. There is a reason for this which comes from childhood and growing up experiences but that is irrelevant to the problem. The problem starts now that I am done with college for a time. I havent finished my degree yet mostly because I spend 2 years doing a program and switched to do another. But this is also irrelevent. What is relevent is however 6 months ago when I moved back home to live with my parents in search of work. I am working currenting as I recently found employment however this was not always the case. For 6 months I struggled with unemployment which lead to some interesting changes in myself. The first change occured in the first 3 months as my optimistic nature started to deterote. I would not say I was a fanasty minded person but my out look was life would work out and i just had to go with the flow. It did not work that way. I applied to many places thinking that because I had the credentials to back me up. What i foolishly did no understand is that i lacked the experience with employers are looking for but i did not think it would be so bad that no even gas stations in my area were willing to hire. Feeling of anxiety were great and apart from this I feared how I was percived by my familty and friends. And my fears were justifed as I was looked down by my few of my friends and family almost to the point of disgust. Although I was living with my Mom I had no interest in depending on her for money or cash so i became even more desperate for employment only to get rejected. I also noticed other things in my observations people are not alway hired based on skill but having connections in the system. However the real issue was that i lacked any real skills to apply to any of the major fields I applied
    for this was my fault i understood this but what was the point of school and college. Did I waste my time and parent money? And if connections to people in high places will get you places in life whats the point of skill (which I did not have much of)? I came to a personal vertias I was weak nothing skilless. Everything i did is useles and no matter how hard I tried I never get anywhere. People are untrusting and at the end of the day everyone only care about their own best interest without anything to offer even family will see you as no greater than a homeless crack addict how much more strangers. I woke up on day feeling empty apathetic and in intense pain. Not mental pain literal pain in my chest but I no illness. Nothing mattered and nothing interest me however this state only lasted a short while and I some how switched to my usual energized self. But it felt like I was if only for a second a different person with a new personality but I had all my memories and I knew I was me but the me I was was more realistic untrusting skeptical and apathetic opposed to the description i gave before. I am not asking for help, advice or pity infact I told people to take their pity and shove it up their ass Iam only giving a personal experience. Ironically I havent disclosed to to anyone as I am a private person yet I gave part of my life story to strangers.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson21 View Post
    I came to a personal vertias I was weak nothing skilless. Everything i did is useles and no matter how hard I tried I never get anywhere. People are untrusting and at the end of the day everyone only care about their own best interest without anything to offer even family will see you as no greater than a homeless crack addict how much more strangers. I woke up on day feeling empty apathetic and in intense pain. Not mental pain literal pain in my chest but I no illness. Nothing mattered and nothing interest me however this state only lasted a short while and I some how switched to my usual energized self. But it felt like I was if only for a second a different person with a new personality but I had all my memories and I knew I was me but the me I was was more realistic untrusting skeptical and apathetic opposed to the description i gave before.
    This sounds to me a lot like a PTSD attack.

Something similar happened to me, and both my shrink and my GF at the time recognized it.

As I understand it, it occurs when your body or subconscious sees a pattern of events that it remembers from some previous traumatic event, either childhood or as an adult. If you seemed like a different person during this event, it was because you were a different person at the time of the event, and you were re-living the event from the standpoint of that less-experienced person, with all of its terrors that the person you were could not deal with at the time. You may have suppressed the memory of this event, but your body remembers it.

Or, possibly, it was that pepperoni pizza with pineapple that you ate just before bedtime. IDK, could be either one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Enneagram 8w7 3w2 6w7.

I deal with short term depression by drinking tons of coffee. If I'm in considerable emotional pain, I also take two aspirins. I was somehow fortunate enough to avoid having tried heroin or any of the other physical pain killers that also affect emotional pain.

If I'm disappointed by something, I will try to alter the circumstances, and if that doesn't work, then I will forget about the problem and can move on fairly quickly.

I don't seem to get sad. I have no idea why not, but I can't really remember ever being sad. Maybe I'm in denial, or else I turn potential sadness into anger and action, IDK. I think my emotional range is fairly limited. -Wait. Once, when I thought my dad was dying, I was sad for a few minutes. Maybe that's the limit, though.

I think that depression, disappointment, and intense sadness result from a real or perceived inability to alter the situation. If you change something, or take action, then the problem often goes away.

Note:
    I recently cut my caffeine consumption down almost to zero. After getting past the problem of falling asleep at odd moments, I found that I have more energy to take actions, and that has been having better results than what I was getting from drinking lots of coffee.
    I dont take things for the pain and sadness i experience maybe i should but i endure it . I agree with you on the power to change your situation maybe i will take note of this ignoring what you cant change and changing what you can. The only problem is i feel i can change no important aspect of my life and hence leading to my apathy caring about nothing and seeing almost everything as meaningless

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson21 View Post
    I dont take things for the pain and sadness i experience maybe i should but i endure it . I agree with you on the power to change your situation maybe i will take note of this ignoring what you cant change and changing what you can. The only problem is i feel i can change no important aspect of my life and hence leading to my apathy caring about nothing and seeing almost everything as meaningless
    Feeling like you are powerless to change anything in your life is almost guaranteed to lead to depression.

Go out for a walk. Try to remember when you were last happy, and what you were doing then that made you happy. Then do some of that now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds to me a lot like a PTSD attack.

Something similar happened to me, and both my shrink and my GF at the time recognized it.

As I understand it, it occurs when your body or subconscious sees a pattern of events that it remembers from some previous traumatic event, either childhood or as an adult. If you seemed like a different person during this event, it was because you were a different person at the time of the event, and you were re-living the event from the standpoint of that less-experienced person, with all of its terrors that the person you were could not deal with at the time. You may have suppressed the memory of this event, but your body remembers it.

Or, possibly, it was that pepperoni pizza with pineapple that you ate just before bedtime. IDK, could be either one.
    hahaha good one i dont know if it was ptsd as i do not remember anything like that happening to me in the past. I felt this way 4 times in my life and it started 2 years ago but i did not know what it was

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling like you are powerless to change anything in your life is almost guaranteed to lead to depression.

Go out for a walk. Try to remember when you were last happy, and what you were doing then that made you happy. Then do some of that now.
    thanks you for the advice but the purpose of this thread is not about me i dont want advice i want a discussion regarding how each type deals with depression or feelings of intense sadness i do appreciate the advice however adam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the discussion i dont fully know or understand what my type is but i believe i fall under the 9. My bright outlook on life changed when the stress of my situation became to much for me to handle and i guess i disintegrated into the 6 becaming distrusting having a bleak outlook but also keeping the 9s apathy. You can correct me if iam wrong. Adam as a 8 denys his feelings as it is seen as a type of weakness and takes a stoic outlook changing what he can and forgeting about what he cant and therefore maximize his inner locus of control but even he has problems denying these feelings for long as and adam i quote "This sounds to me a lot like a PTSD attack.

Something similar happened to me." It would be good if you also state how you solved this adam. Also a break down of an experience by a 2 3,4,5,6,7,and 1 would be nice.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Depression is not type related although if I see something painful like the latest wave of tragedies in the world today like starving children in Yemen. Emotional sabotage is the common form of depression for INFJ and that is why they often avoid the external world, otherwise it becomes too much to bear for one person
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html