Thread: Changes during a person's life on their makeup or personality

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Changes during a person's life on their makeup or personality

Looking back on my life I have noticed that I have experimented major changes on my personality on different stages. Usually these changes have been triggered by a woman that has appeared in my life, who have acted as a sort of detonator for a major breakthrough or morphing/metamorphosis.

Typology in general seems to operate on the premise that types are static and unchangeable. That seems to be true (at least for socionics and enneagram).

We all know of that one nerdy guy who turned to be a badass (or viceversa), or that cold guy who became much more sensitive in their later years. How could these changes be explained using enneagram (integration/disintegration; overturn of the tritype ordering?) And with socionics (if it's possible)?

Any thoughts on the matter?

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When one "integrates" in enneagram, they develop they best quality of the type they integrate to. So, 1, 7, 5, 8, 2, 4, 1, and 3, 6, 9. They talk of developing the best characteristic of each type, but there's two loops so do whatever you wish of this.
    Jung was a psychanalyst, so his function descriptions are closer to people who have mental problems as he studied mostly his patients, and a way for us to know what is the worst we can fall to regarding thought process imo, though whether one uses it staticaly or dynamicaly lies on them only.
    Type descriptions, function descriptions don't take into account how one grows, the challenges faced, spiritual development, it only takes one slight sliver of the human psyche into account, one can use this sliver to explain the rest or not. I think many people who fall into socionics are looking for one stable answer, one almost ultimate answer as to how humans function, but whether everyone fit in the system or not can be a matter of much one wants them to fit in. People can lie to themselves about this, just make sure you're being honest with yourself.
    If you want to use socionics to grow, do it, there's no sense in trying to make others to do so too, some like having socionics as an excuse for being shitty humans and staying this way. Life is such.

I do think my behavior changed along the years, I tried to be many things, but now I'm going back to my roots. I will never be a good representation of any type, the way I think, behave, talk... don't all align with one type. I don't feel the need to put myself in a box anymore, that's the biggest change I went through.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's one of the major flaws of typologies. It just says that whatever that has been observed in the past will stay the same in the future.

But that's not true. The future doesn't resemble the past.

The future is different from the past.

Even if some of the personality traits stay the same, the kind of data and information that it deals with changes over time. So even if you were mostly a "feeler" type, that depends on what kind of information that you are dealing with.

So it's impossible to separate the personality from its environment.

Could you have "predicted" or anticipated your changes? No, you couldn't, since these chance and luck factors in life are impossible to predict.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is the SOLUTION? The solution is to obviously find what REALLY doesn't change over time, rather than whatever that we wish stayed the same over time.

And that would be universal laws of nature. The universal laws of nature are abstract rules and laws, which can't be directly observed. They must be found. By us.

There must be some kind of universal laws of nature that allows psychology to happen.

Not all personality changes can be explained by any combination of typological systems. Some aren't designed to or can't be used to explain changes. Try recalling and reflecting on your changes as if you never heard about such systems. This is impossible because your knowledge will inevitably and unconsciously seep into your evaluation.

It's as if your changes tend to occur due to external influences rather than internal desire. It's like a knee-jerk reaction rather than a conscious decision made to develop certain traits.

Check this out if you're interested in psychological development in more clear-cut changes across individuals: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deve..._stage_theorie

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know people who have changed for sure. But, as far as I can tell they still changed inside the parameters of their type. What's important to note here is that your type determines your internal reactions to things, and external behavior is a result of that and a whole bunch of other things like culture, maturity, ideology, trauma, spiritual development, etc.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

yeah there was this SEE guy in my track team who would tease the daylights out of me. It was like a game to him to belittle me and make me feel somehow inadequate every day. However I had SEE friends who were warm and kind who had great humor. The SEE guy is now a family man to two daughters lol and he's so sweet to them (welcome to fatherhood to girls) haha. And my SEE friends are now the same for the most part they are just high strung in relationships. Um. I've changed somewhat. There was a period of time where I was starting to feel the pressure of not fitting into the sensory world (nice hair, car, makeup etc) and it was a frustrating period as I felt like nothing I was doing was me or working for me. I went shopping with my SEE friend and she asked me what kind of car I was going to buy and she said "no buy a Toyota. People look more fitting in a Toyota, the Kia is a car for low class people." Wow girl talk about status. Anyway I purchased a Kia (and unlike her I don't have debt). So anyway yeah I've had to accept that I'm going to be me.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey dude.

Yeah it happens.

We are organic creatures.

Change is to be expected.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Personality changes over time as we learn to overcome our weaknesses and develop our strengths. Despite all this, our type does not change. Type is fixed, while personality is not. Sounds like an oxymoron, but it is not. Brain plasticity is a thing that can occur positively or negatively. Outside of type, there is a lot of non-typology factors that are susceptible to change.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

From the cradle to the grave life is change. Personality is not exempt.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's important first that you are not typing people based on caricatures and shallow perceptions. Anyone can seem like a different type through acting and changing their appearance. Someone putting on glasses and a white polo shirt doesn't make them INTJ.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics "Masks": how they hinder and help us

"a person who is focused on personal development may study socionics, but wearing a certain "mask" it is very often difficult to figure out his type. It starts with confusion between the real type and the "mask", which leads to people generally tending to consider themselves to be some third type."

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, masks, how many have I worn? Lost myself in my very own reflection time after time, ever wondering who is this, in an attempt to extract hatred from a seething couldron of poison. I have been the rainbow, all its colors one after the other, but none at the same time. It glimmered somewhere far away, but what was this spark? Patience it has to be discovered in time. And I wait for the right time.

Although, I have seen a lot of life from all those masks. They were a choice, no longer needed I wish.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that changed me the most was going from being spoiled my whole life to really broke. Before I’d blow loads of money without thinking twice. Now I struggle to spend money and hoard cans, even though I’m fine financially. I get really pissy about people wasting resources now. It’s like I went from Te PoLr to Te valuing. Someone was telling me how their mother was really poor growing up and she hoards toilet paper in her attic lol. I don’t think socionic descriptions takes these things into account. It just states X type is good with resources. That’s one reason why I think it’s misleading to use the descriptions to type people. You are better off to ask why they are like that, are they consistently like that? You just get in different places in your life from circumstances.
    Last edited by Aster; 05-11-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    The thing that changed me the most was going from being spoiled my whole life to really broke. Before I’d blow loads of money without thinking twice. Now I struggle to spend money and hoard cans, even though I’m fine financially. I get really pissy about people wasting resources now. It’s like I went from Te PoLr to Te valuing. Someone was telling me how their mother was really poor growing up and she hoards toilet paper in her attic lol. I don’t think socionic descriptions takes these things into account. It just states X type is good with resources. That’s one reason why I think it’s misleading to use the descriptions to type people. You are better off to ask why they are like that, are they consistently like that? You just get in different places in your life from circumstances.
    So basically you just admitted that you have no personality

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    My great-aunt was a neurotic hoarder, paranoid about spending money. My mother said that she got much of her "nutrition" from eating almost entirely blackened bananas, which she bought for a few cents each from the grocery. Though she grew up dirt-poor (much of my mother's family on that side essentially practiced subsistence farming), she apparently saved an enormous amount of money. My mother was one of her aunt's only heirs, and when she died, my mother received enough money to pay off her student loans, and to completely pay for medical school.

This was a roundabout way to say that I agreed with your post.