Thread: Do not take pride in your "type"

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do not take pride in your "type"

Seriously. The Enneagram describes one's weaknesses and failings as a person. The ideal is to have no type; i.e. to mature to the point where you overcome the roadblocks preventing individuation. A good type description will provoke feelings of shame in the typee; it won't say "Type 5s are uber-intelligent"; "2s are caring"; etc. No. 5s are schizoids who can't function properly in society; 2s are narcissistic; 9s are selfish, lazy, and uncaring. You do not "want to be" a type; you want not to have one. Acting like a type makes you gifted at something or another is disgusting. Enneagram types don't have strengths. At most they'll have personas they want to be perceived as.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You mean to say I shouldn't go around beating my chest about how I'm an 8w7 sx/so and how that makes my cock at least 10 inches long by default? Preposterous.

(Forgive me @Adam Strange )

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Seriously. The Enneagram describes one's weaknesses and failings as a person. The ideal is to have no type; i.e. to mature to the point where you overcome the roadblocks preventing individuation. A good type description will provoke feelings of shame in the typee; it won't say "Type 5s are uber-intelligent"; "2s are caring"; etc. No. 5s are schizoids who can't function properly in society; 2s are narcissistic; 9s are selfish, lazy, and uncaring. You do not "want to be" a type; you want not to have one. Acting like a type makes you gifted at something or another is disgusting. Enneagram types don't have strengths. At most they'll have personas they want to be perceived as.
    This is an important point to bring up since enneagram is a very different system than something like socionics. It's not cognitively based, and it is deeply personal. However, of all the psychometric systems I've come across, it's perhaps the most useful for self-improvement. Here are some off-the-cuff remarks.

I think there's a little more nuance to what must be said. While enneagram is certainly more negative than something like MBTI, with socionics being somewhere in the middle, its descriptors stem from very personal experiences. For example, while unhealthy 8s are more prone to sociopathic behaviour, physical violence, and impulsive barbarism or vengeance than other types, they are supposedly like that in unhealthy states because of having been harmed themselves during childhood. Their steely persona and robust ego serve as an indurated blockade to protect their vulnerability. After all, their core virtue, and hence zone of disillusionment, is innocence, which they feel they've lost.

You're correct in saying that this is nothing to take pride in, for liquifying your hardships and drinking them to fuel your ego does nothing except convert you into a victim of your own past suffering. Perspiring that liquid then manifests as cooling yourself off by ruminating over those experiences, internalizing them until you perceive them as not less normal than how you expect our life to be on a regular basis. Clear movement into the future is the opposite – accepting the mistakes of the past and perhaps learning from them. Forgiveness is not necessary but awareness of the potential decisions to be made for the future is. Taking pride in your type is therefore taking pride in your suffering.

However, I disagree that enneagram types don’t have strengths. In fact, a major factor of the theory is in how an individual can grow to manifest their strengths as an individual. Essentially, the benefit of enneagram is that it not only describes your weaknesses but also your potential to surpass your environmentally-created or self-administered deficiencies. A healthy type 8 is one that relieves their mentality of hardened individualism in the deferential pursuit of protecting others. This need not mean they view the world through rose-coloured glasses but rather that their own internal pains need no longer tyrannize themselves or others. The acceptance of their pains is an acceptance of vulnerability, which protects others and themselves from their borne wrath.

My conclusion: while we shouldn’t take pride in our type, as in we should not let deficiencies enlightened by the system affirm our destructive tendencies by claiming “it’s part of our nature”, we should be consciously aware of the growth possible from each type and perhaps pursue it for our own benefit. This is by no means a call to action since I don't really care what people do with their lives, just something I think is important to consider.

I should add here that this is much easier said than done. I, myself, am a very negative person, and the weaknesses outlined in descriptions about my type are very real and have been affecting my life for a very long time now, though I am still young. I won’t go into the details since they would be too revealing. What I can say, though, is that, through reading the theory, I can see how developing myself in the ways it suggests will actually benefit my life. The difficulty is in doing it, for a number of reasons.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default shame on type-shaming -- counter to yet another "everything is broken and everything sucks but the dead"

be proud

continue after best-fit type, expand to others, consider first as home base

have best-fit types in mind so teams/relationships can gel w/o stepping on each others' toes

gonna have fun being disgusting, vital/human, etc.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ Striving for improvement can become an obsession that keeps peeps from living.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    + Striving for improvement can become an obsession that keeps peeps from living.
    This. The vast majority of toxic behavior I observe in other people seems to stem from them constantly putting themselves in overdrive mode for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses. When you begin to rigidly structure your life and constantly monitor yourself for the sake of self-improvement you will over stress yourself and become rotten internally. Self-improvement should come about naturally by being inquisitive and acting on desires, while also using a little common sense.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SELF-PRIDE WORLDWIDE!

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For one, I don't understand pride in "things" that are unearned.

I get the importance of self-acceptance, especially as a foundation for mental sanity and a launchpad for growth and progress into higher states of consciousness, but self-"pride" for traits you had no part in creating is a slippery slope that can lead to insecure MFers, in particular, basing any and all esteem on unearned but socially viable qualities they then choose to laud over others...thereby making themselves look pathetic af.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IMO, enneagram type is irrelevant as each type has unique pros and strengths. The only thing that truly matters for the enneagram is health levels. If you work towards doing things that are healthier and better for you then your health levels will rise and you will be happier. Do the opposite by not caring about yourself and of course it will result in lower health levels and misery.

This is different than external success, which is what 3s strive for. Instead, it is about internal/personal success, which can mean something different for everyone rather than stereotypical 3 success. Not singling out 3s as they benefit from higher health levels and suffer from lower health levels too. This link gives a good run through on health levels:

https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/l...of-development
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    AMEN!

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9s are selfish, lazy and uncaring?? 9s are the crown of the enneagram Selfish..

I’m not sure that many people do take pride in their type. Maybe get a bit fixated on it, but this is a typology site. I think socionics causes more problems.
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 04-08-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the first thing I read about enneagram is that the point of it is to develope the good points of each type.
    Someone who does integration and remains among healthy level most of the time will be extremely hard to type, unless they agree to share their own nasty patterns from the past with you.

I think that if you feel good about your e-type, you're probably fooling yourself over what type you are, but hey, I'm a heavy negativist, so whatever.
    Tho someone did tell me they went through this phase of associating with a type they thought was better than their actual one.
    I kinda did too because of tests, which give me 5 about 99% of time. I found it flattering to be a 5, it was much more peaceful and allowed me to delude myself easily.
    It's a possibility that should be kept in mind if anything.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think it’s wrong to be proud of being a type. It’s wrong not to to appreciate the strengths of other types. But..I do think it can be dangerous sometimes to have too much knowledge about typology. You can start to make excuses for yourself or expect too much of yourself..(the latter mainly).

For example I have an LSE boss, and when he criticises me I instinctively just want to tell someone about it who knows about socionics so I can defend myself or understand the LSE better. But realistically, I have to work with this man..tomorrow lol. Really, I just need to concentrate on the basics- try not analyse him or myself, be professional, put up a bit of a mental boundary..I know something he doesn’t and would like to have the maturity to use this to improve our working relationship. By taking a step back and not getting too caught up in a weird dynamic with him.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine being healthy and loving yourself... god I’ve seen what you’ve done for other people. </3
    Last edited by flames; 04-12-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, I don't know anyone else who is like me, so I couldn't take pride in another. I'm looking though, I'll find it eventually. Extremely arbitrary conditions. Woof is close, but wrong.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Being proud of say, introverted means that you can't also be extroverted, depending on whim, mood or situation. It's better to be able to be both introverted AND extroverted. It would be like being proud of being limited.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blackhearted evil

bravehearted hero

i am all i am all i am