Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESI and ESE contrary/extinguishment relations (ISFj & ESFj)

Psychology BSc and statistics MSc Armitage's Avatar
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 2w1-5 SX/so
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@wonderwoman, what's Words with Friends?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwoman View Post
    I learned over the holidays that my ESE mom and her SEI mom tell each other over text (in their Words with Friends game... so cute) WHAT THEY HAD FOR DINNER THAT NIGHT -- EVERY NIGHT. I was thinking in that moment, "Gosh i'm grateful they don't expect that level/form of exchange with me ". Pretty sweet to see them interact like that, though. We spent Christmas at my SEI grandma's house and it was fascinating to see my ESE mom pretty in her element there. Quite different from the vibe of the home she shares with her Gamma NT husband, haha.
    Yes, I've had similar experiences. When I'm caught in the middle of this kind of conversation I have nothing to say and I just want it to end or leave. A lot of office small talk with alpha SF coworkers can be like this too.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ESI 4 sx/sp (459)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    @wonderwoman, what's Words with Friends?
    @Armitage, oh, right, context it's an online game that you can play with contacts or strangers, from various parts of the world, on your phone or tablet. (maybe web browser too, i stopped playing years ago.) it's essentially online Scrabble* with another person, as i understand it. you can have more than one game going with the same person, and games with others; i think my SEI grandma had 23 active games over christmas. there are spinoff / similar versions found in other applications, too.

*if you're not familiar with Scrabble, it's a board game where each player draws (and redraws) a small number of tiles that are letters from the alphabet, and uses them to form words on the playing board, and the harder-to-use letters carry higher point values. of course, the design/layout of the playing board and the requirement for a new word to be contiguous in some way with an existing played word makes the game challenging.

**You can chat with your fellow player as a feature of each game. This is where my mom and grandma tell each other their evening meal; they don't spell it out in words played, to clarify!
    Last edited by spacious; 01-26-2022 at 04:46 PM.

Psychology BSc and statistics MSc Armitage's Avatar
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 2w1-5 SX/so
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you could actually dare them to spell out their dinners in-game from now on. That'll sure advance the challenge for them. It might also be that you'll start having a lot of Chinese dishes from then on, like xiaodainxin.

TIM
    ESI 4 sx/sp (459)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed they might actually enjoy the Ne aspect... ? Though it seems mixed with Te too haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12