Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Se ignoring

@consentingadult

What does it look like?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I’ve never seen an SEI react like that but lol that’s one tough Delta Protector SLI
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Here is something another forum member wrote on the ignoring function awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    The ignoring function is the foundation of your base, it's your strongest instinct and probably what you were born being good at. It has an effect on everything you do, and even if you tried to, you couldn't be totally unaware of information related to it.

For example, an SEI has as their ignoring, so they are constantly picking up information about the sensory environment and filtering it to produce pleasant sensations (base ). They could not maintain their sensory homeostasis without maintaining an Se awareness at all times. It's the same for all types:

LSE - ignoring - uses what they know of rules and procedures to guide their selection of the most effective techniques ().
    IEE - ignoring - uses what they know about how processes change over time to select the best time to seize an option ()
    ESE- ignoring - uses what they know about how people really feel to select the right words, facial expressions, etc. to create a shared mood ()

The ignoring function is so (subconsciously) natural to you that you don't recognize its enormous impact on your life, and it tends to have a more obvious impact on others (again, subconsciously). It's constantly working to protect you from outside influences. When it doesn't work, the 8th function is recruited as a secondary aid. This all happens rapidly at an instinctive level, there is little to no conscious thought involved.

In a way, the ignoring sets limits on how one should live. But the standards apply to others more than to yourself. Thus, is it inherently hypocritical.
    in SxI sets boundaries on physical force
    in LxE sets boundaries on rules
    in IxI sets boundaries on alternative possibilities
    in ExI sets boundaries on emotional expressiveness
    in SxE sets boundaries on personal comfort
    in ExE sets boundaries on ethics

Under stress, when tired/drunk or otherwise less than fully lucid, the ignoring function is expressed strongly. It always tries to act in a way that least impacts the POLR, but under stress, possible impacts on the POLR can be completely ignored. It's as though the ignoring says to society "My way or the highway!" and ignores convention. It fights to preserve the right to use that function however it wishes, and denies the same right to others.

SLIs and SEIs become ruthless about appropriate use of force
    ESEs and EIEs become ruthless about appropriate standards of ethics
    IEEs and ILEs become ruthless about appropriate use of time
    LSEs and LIEs become ruthless about appropriate adherence to procedure
    ESIs and EIIs become ruthless about appropriate emotional expression
    IEIs and ILIs become ruthless about appropriate use of alternatives
    SEEs and SLEs become ruthless about appropriate use of sensual comforts
    LSIs and LIIs become ruthless about appropriate use of resources

Thus the ignoring function has a dampening effect on others.
    @Aramas might want to weigh in on this too.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Here is something another forum member wrote on the ignoring function awhile ago.

Yes I’m always saying to Fe types “why are you this emotional “? Lol I tell my ESE sister she has to try to control her emotions while driving
    -

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I’ve never seen an SEI react like that but lol that’s one tough Delta Protector SLI
    I have on one occasion seen my SEI GF use Se, and even though my GF is stereotypically all kindness in SEI style, once she shows you her Se, it is completely clear that she means business. But like I wrote in my blog: SLIs and SEIs prefer to withdraw themselves from bad situations. But when they realize that such is a bad manoeuvre, they will use Se instead and make their opponent toe the line.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post

The post you quoted isn't accurate imo. For SEI, Fi is stronger than Se. Si doesn't require Se to function like that.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    @consentingadult

What does it look like?
    Not necessarily inclined to take on new experiences, new ideas are preferred over new experiences, coupled with a stable environment

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    The post you quoted isn't accurate imo. For SEI, Fi is stronger than Se. Si doesn't require Se to function like that.
    According to model A it is not weak. It can look weak though. It is strong function but unvalued. I think the quote was referring to that but unsure.

Figure 1
    Model A: The four blocks.

MENTAL RING

Blocks that consciously register and verbalize reality

VITAL/ENERGY RING

Blocks that subconsciously register and experience reality
    EGO BLOCK

Autonomous creativity block
    Functions 1 and 2 (Base and Creative)
    "I know I can."

Zone of confidence, expertise, willfulness, and self-actualization. What you think about when things go right.

• accurately interprets and evaluates self and others
    • jokes, praises, criticizes, and argues with ease
    • rarely experiences doubt, fear, or guilt; can be dictatorial
    • frequently exaggerates and speaks categorically to demonstrate point
    • seeks out new information and acquires skills deliberately
    • trusts own judgment more than others’; not prone to follow
    • strives to share knowledge, skill, and experience with others
    • seeks an audience, faithful followers, and due recognition

"I know. I can. I want to."
    SUPER-EGO BLOCK

Creativity control block
    Functions 3 and 4 (Role and Vulnerable)
    "I know I can't."

Zone of self-criticism, self-doubt, guilt, and self-perfection. What you think about when things go wrong.

• evaluates self by one’s adherence to societal norms
    • successes, strength, and unmonitored expression of block allow individual to freely actualize Ego block
    • failure, incompetence, and oversensitivity cause low self-esteem, complexes, and psychosomatic disorders
    • strives to accumulate and follow accepted practices and rules of thumb to “bone up” and to avoid attracting attention
    • able to give advice but not direct assistance

"I'm not good enough. I must work on that."
    SUPER-ID BLOCK

Functions 5 and 6 (Suggestive and Mobilizing)
    "I don't know I can't."

Zone of dependency, childishness, and suggestibility. What you feel and do as a result of others’ care or lack of care for you.

• demonstrates helplessness and willingness to follow
    • lacks well-defined criteria for evaluating quality and correctness of incoming information from others
    • acquires new values, skills, and habits by following trusted others in real-life situations
    • forgets to take care of individual until situation becomes dire
    • understands oneself only through others’ eyes
    • without others’ care feels abandoned and resentful of society
    • responsible for overall state of emotional and physical health

"Why doesn't anyone help me?"
    ID BLOCK

Functions 7 and 8 (Ignoring and Demonstrative)
    "I don't know I can."

• what one does automatically when one is being oneself

"How is it I do that?"

7. Ignoring function
    (or Limiting, Observing function)

Vital
    Accepting
    Strong
    Inert
    Subdued
    Situational
    Cautious
    8. Demonstrative function

Vital
    Producing
    Strong
    Contact
    Subdued
    Evaluatory
    Bold

7. Ignoring function

The ignoring function is also called the observing, or limiting function.

A person has very little use of this element, as it is the rival image of the base function, representing an antithetical approach to the same domain. It lies in the subconscious as a persistent annoyance to the individual. Therefore, he or she tries to ignore it. When lectured by another on the use of the ignoring function, the individual sees it as superfluous information, for he or she knows how to use the function well, but chooses not to use it in favor of his or her more convenient base function. Usually the base function creates byproducts relating to the ignoring function, but the way it describes such information is very carefully chosen to fit the view of the leading function.
    A person limits the expression of this element in public (in favor of the base function), but sometimes uses it extensively in private, and can call upon it when necessary. For example, an SEI usually defaults to his base function and shies from activities that are highly physical or cause conflict, but if inevitable confrontation arises, he is able to use his and become fiercely coercive and quarrelsome for short periods of time.
    The extreme avoidance of this function can make it appear weak at times. However, when engaged it does not cause the same kind of psychological stress as a weak function, instead creating a kind of boredom or malaise.

8. Demonstrative function

A person uses this element mainly as a kind of game, or to ridicule those who he thinks take it too seriously. They often intentionally go against its conventional usage simply to prove a point in favor of their creative function. However, this function is used quite often in private, to produce information of its element to support their creative function when focusing on making contact with the external world.
    A person will often have just as sophisticated an understanding of this function as his or her leading function. Unlike the ignoring function it plays a major part in a person's worldview, since as the vulnerable function of one's dual it requires especially delicate attention. Thus, when a person is given information regarding the element in the demonstrative function by someone else, they will tend to take it as obvious information that is irrelevant to completely focus on. One will often use the demonstrative function to defend and further support their beliefs made in the vulnerable function.

The demonstrative function is easiest function to use (after the base function) yet often occurs sporadically. When one experiences a problem regarding this function, one must correct it as it does play a vital part in a person's worldview.

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-of-the-Psyche

Edit: just noticed you didn't say weak here but I have seen others say the ignoring is weak.

Gotta go for now.
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-16-2019 at 09:16 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Id
    Your aggressive, instinctive, self.

7. Function of Personal Knowledge
strong
accepting

This function will keenly observe and remember important information which may produce opinions or behavior that is aggressive or arrogant. This function does not create, but adheres to observed behavior.

https://www.the16types.info/info/models.htm

Se as Ignoring Function

The individual prefers to guide others by providing individual rewards and helping satisfy the needs of specific important people rather than through direct leadership or issuing directives. He avoids confrontation and collisions, but becomes fierce and unbending for brief periods of time if they are inevitable. He does not resonate with the idea of overcoming challenges or beating the competition, but prefers to listen to his internal desires and care for his own physical, emotional, and psychological well-being rather than doing what the outside world seems to demand or require of him.

He is adept at perceiving fights over power of a confrontational nature around him and is very able to resist them or even actively participate in them if that is seen as unavoidable, but he sees no point in giving them priority over a sense of comfort and well-being. Participation in violent physical activities where such fights may take place, as in some sports, are motivated not by those fights themselves but by the stimulating sensations those activities generate.

https://www.sociotype.com/socionics/...on_elements/Se

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sei and weapons