Thread: Is the creation of moral shitstorms acceptable?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Is the creation of moral shitstorms acceptable?

Discuss.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of this thread is to bring attention to the conundrum that to not accept a moral shitstorm on principle of moral grounds creates a logical paradox.
    This is funny.
    Ha ha.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everything is a spook

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just saying to my GF recently that we need a big fucking war, with millions of causualties and horrable concentration camps. Just so people get their act together and start realizing what's really important in life.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ESI 468 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I was just saying to my GF recently that we need a big fucking war, with millions of causualties and horrable concentration camps. Just so people get their act together and start realizing what's really important in life.
    It's funny because while not condoning that idea, the book Tribe by Sebastian Junger actually talks quite a bit about how during wars like that there's a lot less mental illness and dissatisfaction in the general population than during peacetime. Pretty interesting.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsTortilla View Post
    It's funny because while not condoning that idea, the book Tribe by Sebastian Junger actually talks quite a bit about how during wars like that there's a lot less mental illness and dissatisfaction in the general population than during peacetime. Pretty interesting.
    good book

I've got a couple others of his in my kindle i'm meaning to get around to.

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In war times, we face the ennemies outside, in peaceful times, we face our own demons inside, everyone is in their personal little inner war in a way. War backs people down against the wall; kill or be killed. Simple times... okay I'm done blabbing random shiz.

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why the fuck not
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    ESI 468 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Could you elaborate on that? I have a hard time bringing 'less dissatisfaction' together with the side effects of war (famine, death, displacement, destruction of infrastructure ...)

edit: I'm not on the attack. I haven't read the book so far and I'm only asking because your post in its current form sounds fishy to me. I'm sure there are aspects that I don't know yet.
    I think it went something like what @wonderland said. The implication is that it’s a focus on coming together to fight a common enemy, a general culture of sacrifice and bravery, less time and space to be concerned with oneself.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    In war times, we face the ennemies outside, in peaceful times, we face our own demons inside, everyone is in their personal little inner war in a way. War backs people down against the wall; kill or be killed. Simple times... okay I'm done blabbing random shiz.
    Do not forget what happens after a big war. When WWII had ended, Europe and large parts of the rest of the world where in ruins. Everything had to be rebuilt from the ground up, against a background of shortages. There simply was no space and time to bitch about ones own little pathetic projections, there was work to be done.

Nobody wants war obviously, But after decades without any real hardships, individualism, combined with a flock attitude, has created populations without a feel for the common good, it's all panem et circenses nowadays, with an I-ALL-NOW attitude. The average moral shitstorm is a symptom of that post-modern attitude.

I have spoken
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah lol

kill everyone being unhappy

works every time lmao

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I've been paying attention to people recently and I've realized that the "death drive" is very strong now. Lots of people seem to want to see chaos, terror, and destruction for various reasons. I think it's a way of people saying they are in pain and that they see no other solution.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the pot needs to be stirred every now and then, it's good to challenge our beliefs and those of others, it's the only way to be certain of where we truly stand

TIM
    IEI-Ni2 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, yes it is.
    1543192327200.jpg