TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default The professions you quit

What professions did you quit and why?

I was going to be a journalist. I gave it up because you are only as good as your last breaking story and I needed to be in something with roots (traditions) history and substance so I went into religious studies (kinda fitting for an Fi type)
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Something with Ni
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I originally was going to major in journalism, until I realized it's basically just a means for establishment social control. Then I was a History major until I realized the only way to make enough to survive in that is as an academic. Then I stupidly wound up in an extremely Ne Ti line of work because it provides one of the few remaining means to compete against and beat teams of other people directly.
    "I would rather be ashes than dust"

"Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked."

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    What professions did you quit and why?

I was going to be a journalist. I gave it up because you are only as good as your last breaking story and I needed to be in something with roots (traditions) history and substance so I went into religious studies (kinda fitting for an Fi type)
    did you consider a critic/commentator approach?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalinoche View Post
    did you consider a critic/commentator approach?
    No
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    No
    well if you ever do get around doing it, you could enrich your content with historical/religious references

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quit my job I had at a sandwich shop when I was 17 by walking out mid shift without telling anyone. The owner was a sexist a-hole, and one day I realized that no one was forcing me to work there and that I could leave. So that’s what I did.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck unloader

Liquor store

Convenience store (fired)

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Customer Service/Sales
    Restaraunt Work

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lawn Mower Entrepreneur - I was too young to get a regular job, so I cut lawns in the neighborhood for money.
    Library Page
    Screw Machine operator
    Mill operator - got fired
    Faucet Assembler
    Welder
    Machinist
    Telescope operator at UM observatory
    Grinder Hand
    Cyclotron operator

At this point, I was going to be an Astrophysicist, but I gave up my dream when I discovered that the Astrophysicists who were teaching me were dweebs, and I didn't want to work with dweebs for the rest of my life so I quit that profession to make more money.

Shop Foreman
    Gage Assembler
    Production Foreman - got fired
    Engineering Manager - quit to be a house husband.
    Consultant
    Started first business making machine tools

*EDIT*
    Most of these aren't professions in the normal sense, but rather are simply "jobs". However, had I pursued any of these lines of work, they could have turned into professions.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-08-2021 at 03:31 AM.

TIM
    6w7 sp/sx 639
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer programming
    If they ever tryna neck, I'll put my foot up in your caca
    Call your mama and your papa
    Like I'm finna take your dadda
    Turn that bitch into a soccer ball and rocka, rocka, rocka (brrr)
    Get into it like a suit
    And fuck a stack up like a broker

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive never quit a profession so to speak but in terms of jobs I've had that I no longer do:
    Barista
    Bookseller
    Ad Rater
    Housekeeper
    Houseman
    Maintenance Tech
    Receptionist
    File Clerk
    Cleaning Manager
    Worked at Chipotle for a day then quit lol

Never been fired.

The only profession I've pursued is the one I'm still in and don't intend to ever quit.
    Last edited by ContractedCriminalboy; 05-08-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barista
    Dishwasher
    Grunt-level work in general

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@one, your experience speaks to me on so many levels. Hoepfully I will have time toexplain that pretty soon.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teaching. Too many children!!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ive never quit a job, so theres a hint of my IJness even if i'm a spaz lol.

college: human services
    first job: got hired because of my related internship with the county helping with welfare and layoffs, but funds were slashed. then
    second job: nudged into administrative work at a commercial real estate firm who were fkn assholes (seriously) but instead of quitting, i passively fkd around until i got myself fired. then
    third (and final?): initially i was an admin at this bank, but since i'm pretty chad i am now a compliance analyst ie dominatrix

i'm ready to stop

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi One, like I said, I related to what you shared on many levels.

First, Socionically, it was interesting to see how an ILI thinks through and decides things. You approached with a conceptual idea. As to that, the geometric shapes suit a certain fashion style that is harder to find these days so clothing in that style would fit a niche. In David Kibbe's styles, that would be especially the "Dramatic" and the "Flamboyant Gamine" style types. I helped a friend re-do her wardrobe in that latter style. because she had issues with multiples, she had a lot of styles in her wardrobe including some soft flowy Victorian styles that made her look frumpy. She was a quick study and very motivated so it was an amazing transformation. Her new look was perfect on her, so fresh and bright. We also re-did her house in that style. My style is soft classic so I would look faded and lost in geometrics.

When you said "one of my bigger goals then was to produce fabric and clothing for harsh terrains and space exploration", I immediately thought of an ILI friend, who got two degrees, first in Library science, and it wasn't for him so he got a second degree in architecture, when I knew him, and also he took a conceptual approach. I remember his big final project was designing a home for the homeless, with a lot of complex thought into the whole conceptual design. It was a great contribution to the problem, if someone would do the work to make it come about. Just as doing the grunt work of sewing clothes is not your thing, he was about concept not implementation.

Another thing that made a light go on in my head that you wrote it this:
    ...we had to sketch a design after based on the subject matter. Mine would always get picked and graded high because I would always have a specific concept in mind and could explain it clearly (maybe skill of Ni)...
    I took a class in printmaking for my Masters and our professor was art critic for the local paper, so I wanted to please, and as always I was striving to get an A. When the assignment was multi-color lino-block printing, which I had never done before, I went all out with a carved landscape derived from a photo I took, having to think through when to stop carving for the different layers, a process that couldn't be repeated. It was complicated, took a lot of thought and care, and a lot of time. No one spent more time in the art room on that project than me. I was also teaching fulltime at the time, for a very large population, and commuting in opposite directions.

The final run of the 5th color was successful, and carefully done, even though I wasn't that happy with the aesthetics of the final piece. But I learned a whole lot in the process, and a bonus was my carved lino block was beautiful at the end, and the professor suggested I do one-color print of that, and the result was amazing; I still cherish that piece.

But then came the critique. A colleague who taught at the local art gallery came in and completed her art project in less than an hour when I was in there working on one of my hours-long print runs. It took her SECONDS to care a stick figure on a lino block, and not long to do a print run of her block in black. Then on a small block she carved around a "drop" shape, rolled in lino block in red, and applied the small drop-shape on each of the black stick figure print runs, and that was that. It was a multi-color print because it was more than one. In the critique, when it was my turn to talk aobut my art, I was mostly tongue-tied, lamely explaining what I learned of the process, a belabored process that I wasn't enthusiastic to talk about, and I guess I felt the work could speak for itself and my words felt extraneous. This colleague, when it was her turn, JUMPED up on the table we all sat around, (she was a very tall woman), pointing to her work, saying, ""My print is about APARTHIED!" and dramatically explained that, and how the stick figure represented that, and red drop was blood, and how the "interaction" of red and black represented apartheid. Etc.!

Well fine, but when I learned she got an "A" and I got a "B+", I was not happy. Blabbing about my work wasn't my strength. Maybe it was underused Ni that got me stuck. Your post made me reflect and realize that our professor was an ILI, too! So he might have just really related to everything she did. It was all the right approach in his mind.

But I see that even though you the grasp on the conceptual, you also did not hone your skill at communicating that in critiques. I just started t a very part-time high school position and I need to teach my students critique skills. I guess I might end up being good at that, as one often teaches well what one has to work hard to accomplish.

One way the world of training for fashion design is probably much like training for art is that the rules are hard to grasp.

Vapidness bores me too. Talking about shopping trips and other shallow things is a yawner. Also what you said about people who "hog the spotlight when they don't deserve it" reminds me of the above story. Your reaction to the social-conscious ugly clothes and the lingerie reminded me of sometimes having very negative reactions to people's works or styles, that of course I did not speak of. Personally I like the idea of incorporating past traditions into clothing, but each artist to his own.

I agree with you that you should be able to be a fashion designer and just design, not sew, which is a whole different set of skills. But that is what they want. I also think there are relatively very, very few fashion designers out there, and I suspect the ones who really make it big had elite connections to begin with. The want you to sew because they need sewers; that is how most of the peole work in that field, your expensive college education is unlikely to ahve you running the show someday or just designing.

I once considered interior design, but I remember thinking I would not enjoy dealing with overseeing project construction and coordinating with contractors, electricians, painters, plumbers, etc. (Though now I think I could do that.) So I went into teaching art, but was disappointed to learn that a part of that job I did not realize about was that it is a lot about managing the masses. A lot of students and a lot of classes and a lot of supplies and a lot of projects and a lot of report cards to manage. But like anything else, it is skills, and you gain skills over time. My ILI friend who got the architecture degree must have found things he did not like about the field, too, even though he was an A student in college for it. Because he never used that degree either. He ended up going a practical route, helping his parents out and then taking over their trailers park business.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've quit every restaurant job I ever worked as a server/host at.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quit McDonald's to work for Walmart. I quit Walmart after four years to travel with my wife in the Midwest for her work. I worked at the UPS store for one day and quit because I got a job offer for my current work.