Thread: Is Te...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Te...

Hi, hoping that some Te users or anyone who understands Te well can clarify/confirm something for me...

Are details like times, dates and place names very Te oriented? And what about knowing and using the right terminology? Like knowing the right names for different types of neck lines on clothing?

It's just that as a Te polr I'm rubbish at remembering these types of things, whereas my Te dom mother is very good at it. For some reason, up until now, I had the impression that because they're *details* they're more 'Si' oriented...but my mum is Si polr...?

Thanks in advance,

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si is not details. It is just anything that makes an inner impression on you, like the sky, the water or your own tiredness or the wall you are looking at.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No. It may have to do with personal interest in a subject
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhawk View Post
    Hi, hoping that some Te users or anyone who understands Te well can clarify/confirm something for me...

Are details like times, dates and place names very Te oriented? And what about knowing and using the right terminology? Like knowing the right names for different types of neck lines on clothing?

It's just that as a Te polr I'm rubbish at remembering these types of things, whereas my Te dom mother is very good at it. For some reason, up until now, I had the impression that because they're *details* they're more 'Si' oriented...but my mum is Si polr...?

Thanks in advance,
    How they impose their knowledge on you by way of their rightness in their judgement is Te not the knowledge of the subject
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gulenko has convincingly made the case that socionics, like MBTI, is rooted in Jung, so let's turn to Jung on Te. Jung writes of Te-dom, as follows:

When thinking holds prior place among the psychological functions, i.e., when the life of an individual is mainly governed by reflective thinking so that every important action proceeds, or is intended to proceed, from intellectually considered motives, we may fairly call this a thinking type.

Their sanction is: the ends justify the means.

"Oughts" and "Musts" bulk large in this programme. If the formula is broad enough, this type may play a very useful role in social life as a reformer or public prosecutor or purifier of conscious, or as the proponent of important innovations. But the more rigid the formula, the more he develops into a martinet, a quibbler and a prig, who would like to force himself and others into one mould.

Action proceeds from reflection, Te is a forceful function....drive without desire, pure functionality. Te's main agenda is to unleash it's "oughts" and "shoulds" upon the environment in order to impose order. Managers and taskmasters abound, the problem-solving cognition occurs in identifying hazards in the areas of behavior, timing, work, pace, action..."You're supposed to be doing this" "this needs to be coming out faster". These imperatives also plays out in the domain of behavior.

Both Se and Te are forceful. Te force is more reflective and superegoey. It comes from frontal lobe intentionality and has a structure to it. Se force is more reflexive...instinctual. It comes from the more primitive part of the brain.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Tallmo Ah, ok, I do find Si difficult to grasp, so thanks!
    Last edited by Deerhawk; 03-14-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to include include handle

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    No. It may have to do with personal interest in a subject
    Ok, so here’s an example of something my ENTj mother was saying that might better represent Te?

She was talking about her mother and how she wasn’t writing the date or time of things that had happened when she would make a note of them in her notebooks. She found it strange and frustrating that her mother would just write down the experience and not put it into any factual/temporal context so that it could be *of use*.

While I understand that knowledge is not Te, I feel like certain facts or types of knowledge are going to be more attractive to ‘metabolise’ for people with certain preferred (and strong) IMs.

So I guess I’m wondering whether my tendency to forget these types of details (and tbh disregard them a lot of the time) is based off of the kinds of data that my preferred IMs like to gobble up (lol). And so, if this is the case, are these kinds of details those that people with strong Te pay more attention to, retain more easily and manage more effectively?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    Gulenko has convincingly made the case that socionics, like MBTI, is rooted in Jung, so let's turn to Jung on Te. Jung writes of Te-dom, as follows:

When thinking holds prior place among the psychological functions, i.e., when the life of an individual is mainly governed by reflective thinking so that every important action proceeds, or is intended to proceed, from intellectually considered motives, we may fairly call this a thinking type.

"Oughts" and "Musts" bulk large in this programme. If the formula is broad enough, this type may play a very useful role in social life as a reformer or public prosecutor or purifier of conscious, or as the proponent of important innovations. But the more rigid the formula, the more he develops into a martinet, a quibbler and a prig, who would like to force himself and others into one mould.

Action proceeds from reflection, Te is a forceful function....drive without desire, pure functionality. Te's main agenda is to unleash it's "oughts" and "shoulds" upon the environment in order to impose order. Managers and taskmasters abound, the problem-solving cognition occurs in identifying hazards in the areas of behavior, timing, work, pace, action..."You're supposed to be doing this" "this needs to be coming out faster". These imperatives also plays out in the domain of behavior.

Both Se and Te are forceful. Te force is more reflective and superegoey. It comes from frontal lobe intentionality and has a structure to it. Se force is more reflexive...instinctual. It comes from the more primitive part of the brain.

Yeah, that does explain the general way in which a Te user moves in the world, their motives and such, and so, just like you've mentioned, any knowledge that enables them to 'identify hazards in the areas of bevavior, timing, work, pace, action' (like times, dates and place names) would be something that they would care about a lot, right? Any Te users want to chime in ? They're the tools with which they can achieve their desire for functionality and the like.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post

That’s what I said but you added background to it. Thanks.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ok, so here’s an example of something my ENTj mother was saying that might better represent Te?

She was talking about her mother and how she wasn’t writing the date or time of things that had happened when she would make a note of them in her notebooks. She found it strange and frustrating that her mother would just write down the experience and not put it into any factual/temporal context so that it could be *of use*.

While I understand that knowledge is not Te, I feel like certain facts or types of knowledge are going to be more attractive to ‘metabolise’ for people with certain preferred (and strong) IMs.

So I guess I’m wondering whether my tendency to forget these types of details (and tbh disregard them a lot of the time) is based off of the kinds of data that my preferred IMs like to gobble up (lol). And so, if this is the case, are these kinds of details those that people with strong Te pay more attention to, retain more easily and manage more effectively?
    If they are imposing their logic “the how’s” on you then yes it’s Te.
    You probably don’t attune to details due to Se not Te
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@VorticalFlow we are discussing Te here
    -

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Tallmo Ah, ok, I do find Si difficult to grasp, so thanks!
    Try spending time with SEIs although the compatibility is not that great. If you are IEI you'll notice that they have something that you don't.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are imposing their logic “the how’s” on you then yes it’s Te.
    You probably don’t attune to details due to Se not Te
    Right, yes, I'm clear on that aspect of Te.

Are the kinds of details I mentioned really more Se though? It's just that, I'm not that terrible with remembering visual/ sensory details, but things like times and dates and place names feel like they're more removed from actual reality and therefore harder to really make stick in my mind.
    Also, (this just occurred to me) times, dates and place names are actual 'facts' aren't they? - which is what Te is proficient at or preoccupied with - and they're very 'pragmatic' facts at that (they enable functionality). What I mean is, it would make sense if the ability to remember these kinds of factual details was correlated with a person's greater strength in using Te.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Right, yes, I'm clear on that aspect of Te.

Are the kinds of details I mentioned really more Se though? It's just that, I'm not that terrible with remembering visual/ sensory details, but things like times and dates and place names feel like they're more removed from actual reality and therefore harder to really make stick in my mind.
    Also, (this just occurred to me) times, dates and place names are actual 'facts' aren't they? - which is what Te is proficient at or preoccupied with - and they're very 'pragmatic' facts at that (they enable functionality). What I mean is, it would make sense if the ability to remember these kinds of factual details was correlated with a person's greater strength in using Te.
    Well I’m good at times dates and place names and I use a calendar on my phone to keep track of such things and I’m Te seeking so maybe unjust don’t value that type of information. (?). @Aylen is this similar with you?
    -

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Well I’m good at times dates and place names and I use a calendar on my phone to keep track of such things and I’m Te seeking so maybe unjust don’t value that type of information. (?). @Aylen is this similar with you?
    I just use a calendar app to keep up with important dates. I get notifications one week before, then from there every day up to the event.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I just use a calendar app to keep up with important dates. I get notifications one week before, then from there every day up to the event.
    Same here. I help LSE with Ni by doing this and reminding them of important events
    -

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance,
    Times, dates and place names would have some Te yes. But the other things you mentioned are more like Ti.

And I do think Si is involved also, the closer these things are linked to concrete reality.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance,
    seems like a combination of Si and Te. Delta STs are good at that kinda shit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Are details like times, dates and place names very Te oriented?
    facts

> And what about knowing and using the right terminology?

right enough to be understood to get a use

> Like knowing the right names for different types of neck lines on clothing?

Ti

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post

Ti
    Te. just switch quadra man

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Te strives to bring everyone in line with their thinking.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    facts

> And what about knowing and using the right terminology?

right enough to be understood to get a use

Ti
    Right I agree. Te looks for practicality, the use and usefulness. The parent may have a profession (possibly) that deals with clothing style or interest and therefore dictates to the child what each one is as to be correct in their thinking
    -

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, that's interesting that you're good with times and dates (Etc).
    And yeah I'm guessing pretty much everyone needs help keeping track of them long term.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Times, dates and place names would have some Te yes. But the other things you mentioned are more like Ti.

And I do think Si is involved also, the closer these things are linked to concrete reality.
    Huh, yeah I can see how terminology could be a Ti thing.