Thread: type me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default type me

Hi. Type me! After reading this over again I noticed how tense I was in the beginning and how I seemed to loosen up as I went, which seemed interesting. I'd really appreciate any sort of feedback, even it's just a vibe you get, or one dichotomy or quadra. Thanks.
    Tell me about yourself: I never know what to say to such a broad question. It sets the tone for a job interview, which seems pretty tension-inducing, in my opinion. Anyway, I’m pretty young- young enough that this isn’t just an intellectual pursuit for me but a way to find myself. I’ve been studying this for around a year. I’ve changed types so much that by this point, nothing will surprise me. I could be anything.

What do you study or do for a living? How did you come to do that? What do you like or dislike about it? I’m not in college yet, but I think I’m going to study psychology or neuroscience when I get there. Socionics was actually one of the reasons why I got so interested in psychology. Since I’ve started studying typology I’ve also started reading articles on various websites. Psychology seems so cutting-edge, so vast. I feel like the human mind is so complex that we’ll never fully understand how it works, and that scares me a little, but at the same time, I dream of making a major discovery and being one of the few to break through, so to speak. But it seems like neuroscience is more concrete, I guess than psychology because it deals with how the brain works. I’d also like to study the “source” of our behavior if that makes sense.

What are your values, and why? I haven’t decided what all of them are yet. Sometimes what I like or dislike only becomes apparent to me once I experience it. What tends to happen when I read a description for a function or type or whatever in socionics is I’m not sure if I relate to it or not because I’ve never encountered such a situation. For example, the question in here of whether I like kids or not I wouldn’t have known how to answer if I hadn’t volunteered at a daycare.
    But what I have observed in myself so far is that I value dedication, passion, and humor. I like when people work hard for a cause or to reach a goal because it inspires me.

What else do you do on a daily basis? What are your interests and hobbies? Why do you do them?*
    Socionics is pretty much my main hobby, for the reasons stated above. For the most part, though, I play games on my phone and occasionally read. It’s upsetting that I only read a fraction of how I used to, but I guess it’s because entertainment is at the tips of my fingers. But no matter what I do, I’m procrastinating on some form of work. I think the last time I had “free time”- when I had absolutely nothing to do- was at least four or five years ago, because I’m constantly leaving something off, thinking it’s too big a task. Some things I just never get to, and then it’s too late and I miss whatever opportunity. It’s only some sort of pressure that gets me going. I think this is partially due to me never having a goal. I only study because I have to, because it’s what everyone is doing, what everyone tells me to do. I constantly think, “well, what’s the point? I’m just going to work and then die?” The real reason I waste my time on stupid games, in my opinion, is that they take my mind off this, distract me from how directionless I feel.

What do you look for in friends? I look for someone who I can loosen up around, someone fun and interesting who I can laugh and joke with. I don’t like people who act arrogantly, who are bossy or manipulative. People who don’t respect others. Those who are spineless, timid, afraid of confrontation or unwilling to get things into the air. I can tolerate this last point more with friends than romantic partners. In romantic relationships I like someone who is driven and doesn’t waffle around like me, because they’ll motivate me to be more productive. Someone who is dedicated and passionate about something and sets goals around that thing. I don’t mind someone who is a little quiet, but I get intimidated by someone who’s too loud. It’s a confidence thing because I can be loud myself when I’m comfortable enough.

What conflicts have you encountered recently with other people? Why did they happen? Which kinds seem to happen on a regular basis? The last big and open conflict I had with someone was actually a long time ago. I skipped school, sick for a day, and got some texts asking where I was. I thought it would be funny to text them something like “I regret to inform you that sullutac has passed away at 6:08 PM EST from a severe migraine and stomach ache. I am sorry for your loss.” Most of them didn’t take it seriously, but this girl, who I’m not even sure I sent it to, got extremely angry and told me when I came back to school that she’d “drop me” if I pulled something like it again. Which made me furious because I didn’t think we were friends in the first place. The fact that she attempted to regulate my behavior based on no position in my book irritated the hell out of me, but I didn’t say anything to her because I didn’t want her to get angrier and a part of me wondered if I was overreacting. I truly wish I did, because I’m still stewing over it to this day. This is what usually happens, and this is why I haven’t conflicted openly with others.

How would your friends describe you? Wasn’t actually sure, so I did the johari/nohari thing and got energetic, observant, silly, clever, withdrawn, passive, impatient, and timid. Funny how the traits I can’t tolerate in others I have myself.

What are your weaknesses? What criticism do you often face from others? What do you dislike about yourself? I need to be more confident. My mom, who is an LSE, possibly a beta ST, says that I’m messy, disorganized, and unfocused. What’s strange is that I don’t care that she says that, maybe because she’s said it so much that by this point I’ve gotten used to it or I rationalize my behavior away as being typical. Specifically, it’s stuff like how messy my room or my appearance is. She finds trash in the corner that I didn’t notice and picks at my hair in disgust because “it’s a lion’s mane.”

In what areas of life can you manage well on your own? In what areas of your life would you like help? I’m okay- people say I’m good- at being efficient, knowing when I need to work, and evaluating my work objectively as meeting or not meeting requirements. When I do work, I usually find a way to simplify the material so I fulfill the purpose of the work without a waste of time or effort. People also say that my logic is strong, but I feel like I could do better, especially when something is proposed that I didn’t think of beforehand. I get flustered then and can’t come up with a response, at least right away. I’m good at telling when someone is feeling down, tense, upset, or excited- basically, feeling differently from how they normally act. When I meet someone, I feel like they sort of “imprint” in my mind so I get a feel of their personality. So it’s easy to tell when they’re acting strangely. I’m not good at telling when someone likes me or not. I tend to think that if they’ve been my friend for a while, they’ll like me, and if they’re a stranger, they don’t. But sometimes I get overly sensitive and think that someone must hate me because they acted off for one day, etc. I’d like to know how to be less sensitive- which things to take personally or just as a thoughtless remark, and also to know when it’s necessary to be firm and where to draw boundaries.

What things do you find to be a chore? What things do you enjoy more than others? I would say studying, but in the context of actually being prepared for a test, it’s useful, even though I’m still confused about the purpose of my studying. Going to school is kind of a chore because a lot of the time I’m doing nothing in class, pretending to listen to a teacher prattle about something. But I like talking to friends- in fact, most of what “happens” at school is about my friends: where they stand for me, whether we get along, and any minor annoyance related to them. I can see that it’s unproductive and petty, which is embarrassing. Also, I’m a whore for attention. I like to be in the center of the group, making a lot of funny jokes, skits. It’s best when a friend who understands me well riffs along with me and we make everyone laugh together. But to be honest, it’s hard to build up the energy to, because a lot of things, like how comfortable I am and whether everyone is involved, need to be perfect.

What goals, aspirations, or plans do you have for the future? How did you come to have them? I hope that my future self thinks about me and smiles, knowing that all is well. I hope I go somewhere, become someone, realize what I’m going to live for. I hope that as I die, my last thought is of how satisfied I am of a life not wasted. But specifically, I wanna get rich, sleep in a penthouse, gamble, drive as fast as I can on the autobahn, and pet a seal. And also learn krav maga so I can be a bad bitch.

If you had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life without working, what would you do with your time? I’d probably still go to college and find a career that would be best for me. I can’t imagine spending my life listlessly and purposelessly, like how I am now. With the money I’d have, I’d feel less worried about choosing a path in time and would probably take the opportunity to jump around, trying everything.

What traits do you find endearing that others might dislike? I don’t mind quiet people, as long as they’re not overly timid. I tend to admire those who seem competitive, almost arrogant- those who some say are abrasive because of how selfish they are. But it seems to me that they have a kind of spark of life, of intensity, that people are boring without. I usually admire these people secretly because they seem the most likely to judge me and I’m not sure how I’d talk with them. Also, I tend to respect argumentative and clever people, even though they make me feel flustered.

What traits are considered positive/neutral by others but tend to annoy you? For some reason, I hate when someone looks at me and tries to “read my mind”, figure out what I’m feeling, especially when I’m trying to hide it. When someone disrespects me by making a harmless joke in front of a large group, when someone seems directionless/unfocused/unambitious and doesn’t care.

What kinds of things do you do to manage and/or beautify your environment (your room, your house, etc.)? What do you think of daily chores? A few years ago I was obsessed with minimalism so I painted my room, got new curtains, etc. I think it was because it used to be covered in nursery wallpaper and pink...and I wanted to appear more mature. I tend to dislike cleaning because I’m too impatient to do it properly and I don’t like suddenly seeing all the dirt I’ve been trying to ignore or touching half-eaten food… and, well, after a while, I get used to the mess.

How do you behave around strangers? I’m shy, quiet. I try to be kind and considerate to most people but I usually go overboard and seem timid. Recently though I’ve started to open up, be friendly, and ask questions, which I enjoy. I used to hate small talk, but now I can see that it’s a good way to get to know someone.

How do you react to conflict? What do you do if somebody insults or attacks you? Badly. I get shocked if it’s just a rude remark- paralyzed in one place because I typically don’t expect it, and then incredibly angry, so angry that I want to scream at them, but I don’t because I’m afraid of backlash. I feel like if I were just more confident I would have no problem confronting them immediately and fiercely, which is what I really want to do.

What is one common misconception that people have? Explain why it is wrong.: That all quiet people are boring, and they’ll always be boring because they must be quiet even when they’re comfortable. Or more broadly, that someone’s behavior in one moment/situation is how they always act. Most people would say that they don’t do this as they read it, but I’m sure that we have all generalized and just assumed that someone was a certain way. For instance, we obviously can’t say that someone tacit and tense around their abusive parent is always that way because it is the circumstances, the context of the situation, that makes them like that, especially if they’re relaxed around their friends.

What did you do last Friday? Friday was two days ago and I can’t remember what I did besides the obvious. It was just one of many other wasted days.

What is your biggest accomplishment? I don’t have any noteworthy accomplishments. All I have are small triumphs that excite me for a little while but are ultimately forgettable and irrelevant on paper. None of them are remarkable enough to answer this question with...

What is something you regret? I regret not working when I should have.

Who do you admire, and why? I admire those who have triumphed even after a lot of difficulties. Those who have overcome a huge setback, who are the greatest, the best. Sometimes I’ll start imagining something that can be as random as the most accurate sharpshooter in WW2 being incredibly heroic and badass and suddenly feel tears pricking my eyes...

What are your religious or spiritual beliefs and why do you hold them? I don’t have any.
    What are your political beliefs, and why? To what extent do you care about politics? I don’t have any beliefs, more like inclinations that I don’t really feel confident about because I haven’t researched them enough. That research will take time and effort because I’ll need to read about all the sides of every argument before I can decide on one that I can support with claims so I don’t seem stupid. So I haven’t done anything. I think that once I learn more about politics I’ll feel very strongly about my views and would gladly start an argument, though.

What kind of work environment do you prefer? What do you look for in a job? This is another example of how I’m not sure how I feel about something because I’ve never experienced it. I think, and this is just a guess, I’d prefer money over convenience. I’d prefer to have a job I like doing, one I feel truly passionate about because I think I get better results this way. I want to be comfortable talking to my colleagues and for all of us to be a team- be so relaxed that we can discuss anything. This kind of atmosphere makes me look forward to even otherwise tedious work.

What is or was your favorite school subject and why? I don’t have one. Math and science aren’t hard, but I feel like teachers always limit our discussions and work to just memorization of formulas. I think that if I had a teacher who was exceptionally passionate about them, then they could grow to be my favorite subjects. I hate history because I dislike memorizing things. It sounds important in theory because we need to know how it’ll repeat, but in this case, I’d only like to study major events and the details of how those events happened, and how those events led to other events. I don’t care about what the Romans ate for dinner or how long it took to write the Declaration of Independence. Literature is fun to interpret, but class is full of busy work and I’m not very good at expressing myself in writing. I tend to think too much of how I can say things precisely and I’m not sure if I’ve elaborated enough, which I haven’t, apparently.

How do you approach responsibility? What do you tend to expect of others? I’m very responsible when other people are involved, possibly because of self-consciousness or the desire to not burden them. And I tend to expect that others will do the same as me- never inconvenience others by being irresponsible, like if you are expected to complete group work in time for a project. I like when people seem to put a hundred percent effort into a task because I do the same when I’m actually working. I have a low opinion of people who think they’ll get by doing the bare minimum because to me it shows weak character.

Where did you go on your most recent vacation? What did you do there? How did you like it and why? I went to the beach. It was ok. There’s that wonderful smelling sea air, but what’s much better is the lack of responsibility. Does my mom pressure me to study? Not on vacation. All I have to do is float along with the waves, shielding my eyes from the untraveled road in front of me, if only for a little while. And then soon I’ll hurtle back to reality, and I’ll start abruptly to study again.

What were you like as a kid? How have you changed since you were a child? I watched some videos from when I was about 4 and I seemed really happy, mellow, and playful. I made jokes, was easily embarrassed, and was usually drawing or reading. I seemed like I didn’t mind playing alone. When I went to daycare, I still remember being bossed around by kids more assertive than me. And when I went to elementary school, I became quieter and took refuge in books, and that’s how I am now.

What was your high school experience like? Okay. My high school is tame, there’s not much bullying, and most people are friendly. People are as boring as you’d expect middle-class suburbians to be, though, like dough, the kind with too much flour.

Talk about a significant event from your life.: So I was in this squishy warm cave thing, and it was all dark. All I could hear was a faint gurgling and an occasional rumble, but then one day there was this hugeass earthquake and I could hear faint yelling that sounded like a buff dude trying to go falsetto. And then I felt this squeezing thing on my head and suddenly it was loud and also super smelly for some reason and then I opened my eyes and saw a really ugly monkey grinning at me, so of course I started screaming and crying, and that’s the story of how I got spanked for the first time.

Do you like kids? Why or why not? They’re alright to handle for a little while. I’m good at talking to them and playing with them, but they’d probably be a nightmare to feed and bathe. I won’t have the patience for them, at least right now.

If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why? I’d want them to grow up with good social skills and healthy self-esteem, because I lacked these and I regret missing out. So I’d probably have two kids, or at least take them to a park or something. Read enough books/get consulting on how to encourage a sense of self. I’d try to give them a love of reading, curiosity- a work ethic. Basically, I’d try to equip them best as possible to succeed in life, to tend to their full potential. I’ll try to structure their environment to be one most helpful for their growth- namely, challenge when they need it, but no constant pressure like I had. I’d worry that I’d be too nice to them, and that eventually they won’t listen to me because I didn’t discipline them enough. Actually, this is what happened at the daycare I volunteered at: the kids loved me but didn’t obey what I said.

Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it. Yes, right now. I’ve said it before, but I feel like I don’t know where I’m headed in life, etc etc. I feel paralyzed, and as of right now the only reason why I try hard in school is because I feel short-term pressure from those around me.

How do you see other people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one. People are actually cute. They move as a mass, influenced by the same things, scared by the same problems, but so worried- so anxious to be unique, to make an impact. They feel love, hate, sorrow, no matter their party or race. They all strive to be different in the same way, always wanting, always lacking. It’s when I’m stopped at an intersection that I feel the most in unison with everyone. We’re all driving, obeying the same rules, forever, like a constant stream of ants. We’re together, although it doesn’t seem like it in the insides of our cars, where we deal with petty problems. But don’t get me wrong- I think we’re all selfish to the bone. Maybe it’s just my experience, but I’ve never met a saint. Even if someone is nice it’s because they, consciously or not, want to be liked and accepted by society. Never have I seen someone act from a pure heart. That’s a problem, but I feel like it won’t ever be fixed.

What do you do if you're not getting what you want? What approach do you use?
    Are you comfortable taking leadership roles? In what areas? Why or why not? I like being the leader, because like I said above I’m an attention whore. I have a strong personality, and I like being the one to decide on things in a group, whether it’s for work or for fun. In the past, I worried that I would come off as abrasive if I took control, so I tried to restrain myself, but I only managed to appear passive-aggressive. Recently I’ve begun to express my ideas and suggest things to do, ask questions, and sort of decide what the group is doing, but I’m not really sure if I’m being annoying or not. Hopefully with practice I’ll eventually learn how to control myself.
    How often do you get angry? What kinds of things make you angry? I get angry at least once a week, usually at my mom, but offended at least once every two days at something someone said. I know that I’m too sensitive so I usually don’t express my feelings, but this leads to never knowing when to properly show my anger- when to set boundaries. I worry that I’ll get bullied or I’ll get stuck in some kind of abusive relationship, but also that I come off as sensitive and picky. I get angry at any sign of perceived disrespect, such as constantly interrupting me. My mom and I usually fight over how unproductive I am, something she has a point about, and how inconsiderate and racist she is, which I think I have a point about.
    What is the best thing that happened to you during the past week? I can’t remember anything particular that happened in the past week.
    What is the worst thing that happened to you during the past week? It was another wasted week.
    What is the purpose of life? What do you find personally meaningful in life? I don’t know, and this is my biggest problem right now. I need to know before it’s too late.
    What is the most interesting place you have been, and why? Any place where I have a good view of a lot of people. I like to look at them as they walk, alone or with others, and the differences between these two are very interesting. I like to see how the react to things, unaware that they’re being observed, and wonder if I can tell just a little about their personality from a few short seconds. I like to see how they move together, like a herd, and feel somewhat omniscient looking at them all.
    How do you dress or manage your appearance? I go through phases, and when I say phases I actually mean about an hour, where I get conscious of my appearance. And then I think of maybe getting better clothes, fixing my hair. I’m bad at dealing with really detailed things like messy hair, eyebrows, or acne because I’m too impatient and I always miss something. So I feel like I never have a really “clean-looking” appearance that I see other girls have, with not a hair out of place. Sometimes I can’t tell whether I even look like other girls, like I always look so ruffled that I stand out from them. I want to dress fashionably, but I think I look unfashionable for the most part and only wear hoodies and athleisure, with some pieces that are more chic that of course stick out, and that I’m not sure I look good in.
    Do you like surprises? I’ve actually never been surprised before, but of course I would like a surprise gift or party. How nice is it that someone prepared something just for you? But I don’t like when a situation turns out different from what I predicted or when someone thinks of logic I didn’t anticipate. I’m often not prepared at all, but in the case of the former only, when I’m in a good mood I can improvise. I tend to be good at thinking on my feet when I’m not arguing about something in front of a lot of people.

Is there anything else important about you that we should know? Intertype relations (not completely sure bc I could’ve typed them wrong):
    Mom: LSE but I could easily see beta ST bc I’m not sure if she uses more Se or Te. She’s actually good at small talk, but the more you know her the more intolerant she gets. And she seems clearly extroverted because she’s so objective, so “involved”, if that makes sense- she only evaluates things based on what they are, how they are, the facts. I don’t see her using much Ti, or actually any introverted function, for that matter. And this is not just because I’m her daughter and she’s concerned for me, because she acts like this with everyone and everything.

This guy I don’t like: Beta ST, probably SLE because he doesn’t seem introverted and he always says kind of rude things, like “why does he even bother to play if he sucks so much?” right in front of the person, which seems like weak Fi. He could also be EIE, but I don’t see him doing so much to improve the mood.

One of my friends: Alpha SF, maybe ENFp. She complains a lot about inconvenience, noise, temperature, and people who walk slow, which seems like strong (?) valued Si. She and I joke around a lot, but we have never had a real, heart-to-heart conversation. Her temperament seems more IP than EJ, so I think ISFp.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I constantly think, “well, what’s the point? I’m just going to work and then die?” The real reason I waste my time on stupid games, in my opinion, is that they take my mind off this, distract me from how directionless I feel. "

high Ni, probably valued

"messy, disorganized, and unfocused" - weak sensing

"to know when it’s necessary to be firm and where to draw boundaries." - weak Se

"Also, I’m a whore for attention. I like to be in the center of the group, making a lot of funny jokes, skits. It’s best when a friend who understands me well riffs along with me and we make everyone laugh together. But to be honest, it’s hard to build up the energy to, because a lot of things, like how comfortable I am and whether everyone is involved, need to be perfect. "
    - probably Fe valuing

" I admire those who have triumphed even after a lot of difficulties. Those who have overcome a huge setback, who are the greatest, the best. Sometimes I’ll start imagining something that can be as random as the most accurate sharpshooter in WW2 being incredibly heroic and badass and suddenly feel tears pricking my eyes..."
    valued Se

Generally you sound EIE or maybe IEI.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@thehotelambush
    Thank you for the detailed feedback!
    It sounds like you think I seem more EIE than IEI- why is that?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sullutac View Post
    @thehotelambush
    Thank you for the detailed feedback!
    It sounds like you think I seem more EIE than IEI- why is that?
    Both are plausible. You mention taking leadership roles which would be more typical of an EIE, but also being unproductive and timid which would be more IEI.

Do you overall find it easy to take initiative and expand your "sphere" or do you tend to stick to your comfort zone?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comfort zone, I guess, in terms of talking to new people. But I think it's due to low confidence/social anxiety and I've been trying to force myself to actually express what I think. I tend to have strong opinions that I don't say, especially in front of a lot of people.
    It's hard for me to tell where I stand in terms of "initiative" because I feel like it's only my circumstances that made me like this and I could be entirely different under the right conditions. (this is why questions like these are confusing.) I might be reserved either way, though. Not really sure.
    But I have pretty set interests (psychology etc) because I don't see the point of finding new things to do when I still haven't finished with the old.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

how do you feel about sex sexuality sexual desire and expressions -serious question
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

estj are controlling and find it hard to relax
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Beautiful sky
    Uh, not really sure... I'm kinda young, so...

Thanks for replying! What makes it sound specifically like I have a hard time relaxing in the questionnaire? I think I'm most relaxed when I'm in a good mood/on my own but I guess I still tend to ruminate over a lot of things. I get very tense when in public/talking with people, which makes me think my tension is NTR.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else have input?
    Anything would help, even "I relate to this."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Anything would help, even "I relate to this."
    I relate to the need of normal typing data to have normal chance to say correctly your type

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@Beautiful sky
    Uh, not really sure... I'm kinda young, so...

Thanks for replying! What makes it sound specifically like I have a hard time relaxing in the questionnaire? I think I'm most relaxed when I'm in a good mood/on my own but I guess I still tend to ruminate over a lot of things. I get very tense when in public/talking with people, which makes me think my tension is NTR.
    I’ll find what specifically gave that away for me
    -