Thread: Post the Best National Anthems

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post the Best National Anthems

Many of the world's countries have produced some damn good national anthems. Here are a few in no particular order. Add to the list if you wish. Analysis not required.

1) National Anthem of Turkey

Sounds like it was pitch-shifted to me, to F# minor from G minor, but this is the best sound quality I could find. I don't know much about the Turkish language but it has a nice sound to it. Note the frequent modulations to different keys, and the solemn yet slightly aggressive feel of the minor key in a march style.

2) National Anthem of the Republic of China

The calm choral style is very appealing to me. I've never considered Chinese to be a pretty-sounding language, but this manages to make it sound pretty. The constant calmness until the regal swell at the end magnifies the important feeling of this anthem. I also love layered vocal parts.

3) National Anthem of Afghanistan

My favorite on this list. Written in Pashto, a distant relative of the Dari Persian that is the other official language of Afghanistan. Though it borrows some vocabulary from Persian, it differs significantly grammatically and phonetically, and it is thought to be most closely related to the ancient Avestan language in which the texts of Zoroastrianism were written. Whatever its roots, it is a beautiful language, second only to Persian. This is really a fantastic anthem that eschews the Western tradition of raising the leading tone (and sometimes the submediant) in a minor key. This contributes to the slightly "exotic" sound of the anthem to those that are not familiar with modal music. Additionally, the switching between the parallel minor and major key evokes a wide range of emotions subconsciously. If I ever become King, I will have something similar to this be my anthem.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I am biased because I am half Italian, but I think the Italian national anthem is boss:

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everything pales in comparison to Soviet anthem.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I am biased because I am half Italian, but I think the Italian national anthem is boss:

Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Scheiss nazis

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's pretty good. You might find this amusing:

My guess is that the hot Egyptian climate caused thermal expansion and wreaked havoc on the mostly metal instruments, combined with poor compensatory tuning on the part of the musicians. Either that or it was a subtle middle finger to Putin.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, my personal opinion. It's among the anthems with a beautiful melody... but I don't get the lyrics without translation.

And now...
    32 different anthems in a row...

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The German anthem was originally composed by Haydn. He also used it in one of his string quartets. The melody + variations. I think the melody sound the most beautiful like this

https://youtu.be/udPddgVKzLg
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    The German anthem was originally composed by Haydn. He also used it in one of his string quartets. The melody + variations. I think the melody sound the most beautiful like this

https://youtu.be/udPddgVKzLg
    It's an awful anthem about Germans conquering all Europe, I honestly think it should be banned forever.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Troll answer: Horst Wessel Lied.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's an awful anthem about Germans conquering all Europe, I honestly think it should be banned forever.
    I see nothing awful about the anthem, esp. the melody. The problem might be the lyrics, because there is a lot of potential to misinterpret the meaning of the lyrics, esp. the first stanza, from Hoffmann von Fallersleben.
    The most common misinterpretation of the lyrics is from the period of Nazim government.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    I see nothing awful about the anthem, esp. the melody. The problem might be the lyrics, because there is a lot of potential to misinterpret the meaning of the lyrics, esp. the first stanza, from Hoffmann von Fallersleben.
    The most common misinterpretation of the lyrics is from the period of Nazim government.
    It was originally composed by Haydn in 1797 in honor of the emperor of Austria with the words "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser"
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was originally composed by Haydn in 1797 in honor of the emperor of Austria with the words "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser"
    Yeah, but it's only the historical association that is bad, not the piece of music itself.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Yeah, but it's only the historical association that is bad, not the piece of music itself.
    No, the music is great. And it's interesting to hear the original music long before it became the anthem of Germany.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the music is great.
    Yes, I didn't say otherwise. It's a graceful and peaceful piece of music.

And it's interesting to hear the original music long before it became the anthem of Germany.
    Yes, the bad reputation – if at all – comes from the time between 1933 and 1945.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jääkärimarssi / the Jaeger March

This is not a national anthem, but a Finnish patriotic military march, composed by Sibelius in 1917.

I think this is another example of patriotic music that also has good artistic qualities.

(Jung on Si)

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if it has terrible lyrics, you can respect a piece of music for its musical qualities.

https://youtu.be/JirvSuZQ-gA?t=225
    TIM
    IEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

see what I don't understand is why every country has a national anthem and why they are all done the same way. These all sound Western European.

Not that it's bad, I just wonder how the national anthems of many countries would be different if they used musical styles unique to the culture.

The Russian anthem is my personal favorite as of what I've heard so far.