Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
One experience can be translated to another, parallels can be drawn. Experience of all kinds teaches. I have a wide pool of experience to draw from, so choosing not to work for assholes when given the "opportunity" to do so says nothing in regard to whether I have interacted with people acting like this or what I think of those sorts. You're focusing too narrowly and not seeing the broader trend.

Observation of others in similar kinds of circumstances is also not without value if one has any degree of empathy. And no, what I'm saying does not mean that everyone is inevitably trapped, don't be ridiculous. It does however draw on the statistical fact that it is those who are reached out to, who are supported by others outside an abusive environment who have the greatest chance of getting free. And it reflects the psychology present in many of those on the inside . . . a mindset like the rat who not knowing when or if it will be shocked refuses to leave an open cage.
That may be the case but it’s unconvincing to me that the person who conflates people with trapped rats is going to be the same one helping them out.

Oh and the same one advocating against tough love. See the broader trend!