Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Let's test one subset of your central coherence!

  1. #1
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default Let's test one subset of your central coherence!

    Weak central coherence theory
    https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Weak_cen...herence_theory
    Start your timers and find Waldo!


    1.

    2.

    3.


    If you are very quick then you might have [at least subset of] weak central coherence. Many autistic people are amazingly quick with this task.

    http://theconversation.com/study-of-...he-brain-25224
    The finding that there are significant differences in brain activity in response to motion but not patterns suggests that the autistic brain processes more complex information, such as motion, differently. In contrast we found that the responses to simple patterns were similar in people with autism and without.


    This could mean that the advantages seen in individuals on the autism spectrum in static visual search may be the result of higher processes in a different part of the brain.

    There is universal help for it:
     

    Someone took finding task very seriously and made probabilistic mapping.
    http://www.randalolson.com/2015/02/0...finding-waldo/



    I really suck at this.


    One more test:


    Is it rotating or are there two sheets sliding?

    Sliding Sheets: weaker central coherence (details)
    Rotating whole: stronger central coherence

    I see rotating whole.
    Last edited by PseudoRandomBSGenerator; 09-22-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  2. #2
    Uncle Ave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,114
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I haven't seen these Waldo images since childhood. It takes me forever to find him.

    I see a rotating whole on the second test.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was pretty fast at finding... Waldo... as a child in a book. Those virtual pictures are nightmares...
    (His name is Charlie here.)

    At first, I saw the thing as flat, then it started to look like it was rotating after I got used to seeing it.

  4. #4
    WinnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    1,588
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    It takes me forever to find him.

    I see a rotating whole on the second test.
    Yepp, same for me. It usually take me several minutes to spot such things.

    The pictures are too small for me. I need them larger to spot Waldo.

  5. #5
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kimuchuu View Post
    image 1:
    25 sec

    image 2:
    33 sec

    image 3:
    23 sec

    :0!

    sliding, since they disappear at the end? it's getting faster in the middle, so it looks rotating-ish?
    Wow! It is like somewhere between. Autistic tend to be even faster though - at least the ones I saw on video but I can't find it.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  6. #6
    wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    TIM
    ZGM
    Posts
    1,573
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    image 1: 32s

    image 2: 24s

    image 3: 2 minutes passed but I couldn't find him

    I saw a rotating whole but after staring at the gif for a few seconds I could see 2 sheets sliding

  7. #7
    Xaiviay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Yepp, same for me. It usually take me several minutes to spot such things.

    The pictures are too small for me. I need them larger to spot Waldo.
    Same for me as you and @Avebury

  8. #8
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,896
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    still havent found waldo

  9. #9
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    1: about a minute
    2: spent a long time looking, went to 3rd picture, then back to 2nd, finally found after about 10 minutes
    3: found in about a minute, but had already looked a little while completing the 2nd.

    Looks like I'm abysmally slow compared to other people's times here.

    Rotating cylinder.
    Schizophrenia confirmed.

    Just joking but there is a weird finding that autism and schizophrenics might share similar behavior but things like this might tease it apart for example high vs low central coherence.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    TIM
    ILI - C
    Posts
    1,810
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post


    This image can help diagnose autism. I see a cylinder.

    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.W6hmsehKi00

  11. #11
    Starvish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Found the first Waldo pretty quick. Second and third ones I just gave up on.

    Saw a rotating cylinder. Tried viewing it from the perspective as two flat sheets but could only briefly see it; it turned back into a cylinder immediately.

  12. #12
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,896
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    Schizophrenia confirmed.

    Just joking but there is a weird finding that autism and schizophrenics might share similar behavior but things like this might tease it apart for example high vs low central coherence.
    on the other hand schizophrenia is often linked to low central coherence a kind of piecemealing not unlike autism and its been suggested they are different versions of the same thing with a common cause. central coherence seems to be on the opposite end of both schizophrenia and autism by that theory. in this way its not like people are on a spectrum between autism and schizo and the wheres waldo speed test somehow places them on that spectrum. its actually kind of misleading for you to suggest that, because people often use "schizophrenia" to dismiss anything they don't understand, and if they can give people a "where's waldo" test to confirm that person is "wrong" (which is exactly how stupid people inclined to reason: "you can't do "basic" task x, therefore how could you possibly be correct about y")... it would be the dream of dumb people everywhere to be able to evelate wheres waldo as the intellectual bar by which everything is judged. if autism is inability to view things as a whole in space schizophrenia is likely to be the same thing but in time. both are a kind of rational imposition on an irrational image the brain needs to process information holistically, and just because autistics are good at wheres waldo because it plays to their strengths and schizophrenics are relatively worse at it, doesn't mean an otherwise healthy person can be gauged as if they had those disorders and wheres waldo tells them where they stand. you have to presuppose autism or schizophrenia--you don't derive it from the time score. ironically this inability to parse that exact difference is a version of schizophrenia/autism, which is a failure to view the "image" in all its detail and wholeness simultaneously. you could say there are inner (ideas) and outer (concrete) images and holistic perception or lackthereof is something all people are relatively good or bad at. schizophrenia and autism are both ways in which this capacity breaks down at critical thresholds and a kind of rote mathematics takes its place, and from the outside this seems "crazy"... they are both forms of hyperationality as a substitute for holistic imagistic processing, just because there's a popular reputation of "schizos" being out there and "idea people" being out there, doesn't make idea people schizophrenic--that is just a popular prejudice.. schizo's are desperately trying to connect the dots to form an entire image and failing, but really smart people do the same thing and succeed. bold ideas are not the same thing as schizophrenia, because schizophrenia is the inability to image basic life properly. the bold theorist is so far beyond that, that when what amounts to bullies suggest they're schizophrenic for trying to link higher order causes and effects its just a reflection on the price any sufficiently sophisticated person pays in being misunderstood in a world that is not yet on their level. to zero it all out as a "departure from the norm" and equate the schizo with the genius is a mistake humanity constantly makes at the cost of its greatest individuals. it seems like a mistake we are once again on the verge of making but this time in the guise of neuroscience as if because a thing calls itself "psychological" that makes it so, and they are above it this time
    Last edited by Bertrand; 09-24-2018 at 01:46 PM.

  13. #13
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, if I have understood correctly autis will scan the whole picture rapidly not associating meaning to it. Schizophrenic will see the picture and will attach whole lot of meaningful bias he/she sees as interesting. In a way an autistic individual will see the picture while schizophrenic jumps to conclusions when references are triggered.

    Autistic: Ball! There is a ball! Balls bounce. Balls are round.
    Schizophrenic: Ummm... beach. A man wearing a red swimsuit means that he has a red pill hidden inside of his anus and he is going to force feed it to me.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  14. #14
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,896
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    its about drawing links as matter of rationality as a substitute for holistic perception. thus central coherence is not associated with schizo simply because the presence of it is negatively correlated with autism. this presupposes the wrong relationship between autism and schizophrenia, a false dichotomy and erroneously using central coherence as a measure

  15. #15
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Basically high or low / weak or strong do not say: this is good or this is bad. Meaning is always irrational state of mind. Being in the middle means that person is the most normal [not good or bad].

    It is also important to note that by autistic features and schizophrenic features does not mean pathology: just sliding scale. Extremes will be totally incomprehensible.

    Comprehensible states:

    Left lane autistic, right lane schizophrenic.

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ual-perception
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  16. #16
    Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,896
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with all that, although I find the image dubious because of how it resorts to conveying meaning in terms of physical signs but whatever... what im saying is not inconsistent with that, Im saying that the setup is erroneous because it frames autism and schizophrenia as two opposing poles on the same line and thats not right. they're actually a version of the same thing, which is drawing deterministic links as a substitute for holistic perception which is more of a field made up of likewise non-discrete quantum particles. instead of letting the particles blend into a field, they perceive each thing granularly, and are "manually" (i.e.: rationally) trying to connect the dots [1]-- schizo does this for time (i.e.: meaning) and autism does it with respect to sensory stimulation. central coherence is the tendency not to do this. not being autistic doesn't necessarily make you more schizophrenic. strong central coherence would be the opposite of both autistic and schizophrenic states. the fact that the example of the dots is in fact atomic dots and seeing them as a whole is in fact a lie has just loaded the question, but in the real world, connecting the dots isn't about drawing inferences that strictly speaking aren't there

    to take central coherence as an indicator of schizophrenia becomes useful from the point of social control: to exclude anything that is beyond the norm in terms of holistic perception as being a distortion and not improvement on reality works as a consequence of making everyone's lives easier by making anything that might point to problems, i.e.: creating more work, as pathological by definition. there is also the possibility that schizophrenics and autists also see things more clearly, despite the fact they are below the norm: this is more to your point where neither of these "diseases" are "bad"


    [1] the schizophrenic thinks they're sherlock holmes in other words, except they're not. what distinguishes genuine creativity from insanity is results... these results may not disclose themselves immediately, which is why the insane are later judged to be genius by history.. "no prophet is honored in his own town"--nevertheless genuinely crazy people also exist.. in essence not all crazy people are prophets and not all prophets are crazy. central coherence may in some sense help sort things out, but not by equating it with schizophrenia on the "high side" of central coherence and autism on the low side
    Last edited by Bertrand; 09-24-2018 at 09:13 PM.

  17. #17
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    More tests


    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wtbXPdCEhPk
    0/11 but I got bonus #12 right. But it was not about comparing about searching.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  18. #18
    Melodies from Mars~
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default






    1. 30 seconds probably
    2. 1 minute probably
    3. a long time, like 2 minutes
    Last edited by chrys; 10-10-2018 at 07:29 AM.


  19. #19
    Melodies from Mars~
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    More tests


    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wtbXPdCEhPk
    0/11 but I got bonus #12 right. But it was not about comparing about searching.
    I got 8/11 and the bonus #12 right.


    edit: I got 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, and 11.

    For some reason discoloration is really hard for me to find..
    Last edited by chrys; 10-10-2018 at 03:36 PM.


  20. #20
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hag 3 View Post
    I got 8/11 and the bonus #12 right.
    Freak of nature.

    Seriously, I think I'm the one.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  21. #21
    WinnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    1,588
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    #1,2,3,6,8,10 and #12 for me – that's 6/11... It's still puzzeling to me why I missed #7

    I guess everybody could do better by using a blink comparator instead of side-by-side representation of the picture.

  22. #22
    Melodies from Mars~
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    #1,2,3,6,8,10 and #12 for me – that's 6/11... It's still puzzeling to me why I missed #7

    I guess everybody could do better by using a blink comparator instead of side-by-side representation of the picture.
    That would hurt my eyes I'd think. The blink would make me forget what I just saw and I'd be so lost as to what's different. I definitely need to look at them at the same time.


  23. #23
    WinnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    1,588
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hag 3 View Post
    The blink would make me forget what I just saw and I'd be so lost as to what's different. I definitely need to look at them at the same time.
    Usually a blink comparater allows to adjust the blink frequency, how fast the two different pictures are displayed alternativly.

    An other way is, if the pictures has the same size or number of pixels in each dimension, and the are in a digital graphics format,
    blend them in a graphics program. Preferably a difference blending, that reveals the difference of the pictures.

  24. #24
    Seed my wickedness PseudoRandomBSGenerator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Spontaneous Human Combustion
    TIM
    ILE LEVF/#unfit4lyfe
    Posts
    7,075
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Amazing skills

    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    3,483
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now, let's do all the Only Geniuses and Crazy People Can Solve This! videos on the YouTube sidebar and argue over the interpretation of the results.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •