Thread: Typing Musicians - Paul Banks (Interpol)

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Typing Musicians - Paul Banks (Interpol)

Looking to type the frontman of Interpol, the iconic leaders of the Post-Punk Revival scene. I've got plenty of interview footage. We'll keep it simple and start with just him. I'm pretty confident I know the type of at least one of the other founding members (Carlos), and Daniel and Sam have less interview footage than Paul, so we'll stick with one for now and see how the thread goes.

For starters, Paul seems like an obvious Introvert in any interview I've ever seen. His hobbies outside of music include: Boxing, Surfing, Painting, Theater (he was involved in theater productions from a young age, and took part in a musical, apparently), he has a degree in literature and has worked for magazines prior to forming the band, and has worked as a DJ. When asked why he did not pursue something like literature or painting as an occupation he responded: "Hmm - how do I put this without sounding really cynical? I love to paint and I love to write, but although I was raised in a family full of music appreciation, we are not professional artists, and the idea for me of being an adult means making a living." He has no interest in pursuing fields that don't pay well, and although music is largely pirated now, Interpol is a highly successful bands that charts very high in most developed countries, and tours the world constantly, so they're pretty comfortable financially. Also, he dates a supermodel lol

With regards to band names, art, lyrics, marketing, and other aesthetic mediums and promotion, his stance is that the most important thing is that things need to be "cool". More on this: "I mean, I'm attracted to the idea of painting as people don't steal paintings but they do steal music. So there's almost an argument to be made that it will be a great idea for me to stop music altogether and try to get some more painting, but then I know it would just be a fluke if I made a lot of money, because that would simply be a matter of getting trendy at some point, not because I'm a better painter than somebody else if my work is suddenly considered cool… and then someone would pay me a bunch of money for a couple of months till I stop being cool. But I do think about that as a possibility. I don't think I'm there as a painter to be able to do that yet, but maybe in some years. So I guess to answer your question, if I did that I would do it in a serious fashion in order to make money, as that's still an art form people pay for." His hobbies and interests are very aesthetic (painting, music videos, his approach to marketing) and physical (boxing and surfing, among any others I've not yet found), and making money and producing "cool" products is his focus. Across many interviews he accentuates that the band is comprised of "individuals" each bringing their own individual influences into the sound, and that the band cannot be reduced to one person or one style. The band is also conveyed as being democratic in the nature of its writing process.

My working theory after years of being crazy for the band and following their work is Paul is probably an ESI. I'll list some interviews below and can add more if the thread requires it.

In early years:

More early stuff (Paul is the soft spoken blonde):

On Paul's experience growing up and moving around (there are multiple parts to this if You want more context, just follow through):

More on Paul's musical background and his attitude approaching instruments:
    "We live in an age in which there is no heroic death."

Model A: ESI-Se -
    DCNH: Dominant

Enneagram: 1w2, 2w1, 6w7
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/So

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additional note: I had a good chuckle at "I had NO ideas" in that last video. He describes his contribution to the writing process as a reaction to other peoples experimentation. Reminded me of PoLR Ne, and @golden signature

On writing songs: "Like, why do I even need to do this? You can't evolve as an artist until there's an endpoint to an idea. So, the idea, like, I'll put all these songs on a record, and then release it, 'cause then I can't fuck with those songs anymore. Then I can just get on to the next thing, so even if the first ten [songs] aren't the best thing I'll ever write, they're the only way to get to the next 10, which will hopefully be better, and then by getting those out of the way it's the only way to get to the next 10.... It's like part of the 'fearless' kind of thing: just get it done, and get it out, 'cause, if You have a certain personality You'll just work on it forever."

That seemed quite obviously Se to me. Be fearless, just get it done, just make it happen, just move on to the next goal; don't overthink it, just believe in Yourself and get on to the next thing and You'll eventually improve.
    Last edited by Memento Mori; 08-30-2018 at 07:38 AM.

TIM
    D-ESI-Se 1w2
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No takers on this? No Interpol fans? Probably posted this too late at the time lol. Would appreciate a second opinion

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESI was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love old Interpol and they are great live. I can definitely see ESI having watched/read some of this. I would think Fi in the ego block.