Thread: Cleaning surroundings = cleaning inside?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cleaning surroundings = cleaning inside?

You've probably heard stuff like "clean house, clean mind".
    Does it apply to you?
    Do you have urges to declutter when a big change happens or when you are lost and need to reorganize your life?
    What is your opinion as to where this tendency comes from?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yes this always makes me feel better even though I often resist doing it. in the connunctio jung talks about how its not enough achieve an inner vision, it is not entirely real until it has been realized externally (in the same way an external manifestation does not proove the internal realization), in essence you need both. I think a person can be organized on the inside but until it manifests itself in the world the transformation is not entirely complete, just as in the same way holding a public office does not confer, in of itself, a complete realization of the dignities afforded by that office internally, despite what people wish. if it were other being a priest would make you holy, when that is clearly not always the case, etc. in essence the satisfaction certain types receive in seeing this done is the consummation of the holy marriage (the unification of opposites), within and without, on a very small scale, and therefore to be celebrated. for others it can be the starting point, after which cleaning up, they are ready to tackle the inner world. in can progress in either direction, but in essence it is a productive act of bringing order to chaos. this may sound highflown but there are books about this precise phenomenon. it should not be dismissed as trivial or of no importance. for some it is the very last step on the journey and therefore extremely significant, although it is looked on as trivial from the point of view of someone for whom it was the first step. whether first or last it nevertheless matters

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep reading it everywhere, and people go like "oh gosh, that's so true" and I'm like "what the actual fuck".
    So... it would be about matching inside and outside into order?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ya , or just generally integrating aims and fulfilling the obligations that arise naturally out of those aims. so you might say your aim is to be strong and healthy, or at least minimize your own suffering, so you oblige yourself then to take some sort of action toward that end, and you will feel better when you do so. cleaning the room is often just a small way to take a step in the right direction, but if nothing else its a metaphor for that process that underlies almost all sorts of challenges of being in the world. you can think of your room as being the most direct and concrete environment, but improving the world is a lot like just cleaning your room. you have this internal sense of what needs to be done, so then you engage in the process of literally seeing it done. in this way small chores build character even though they're annoying, sometimes precisely because they're annoying but you're doing it anyway

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, something just clicked.
    I live in an organized chaos, I'm always sorting my stuff, putting things back in the place I chose for them, sorting paper, books and clothes, matching clothes, buying stuff to sort out stuff, etc...
    I find it nonsensical to clean in order to make sense of whatever because I just do that naturaly all the time.
    I live in a messy looking place, but everything is at its place and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Holy hell, I hadn't realized that...

One day, I lost some blue pen. I found it a few days later in the pencil case where it is supposed to be in, I hadn't looked well. That's how I lose stuff, I don't.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feng Shui says that when you have some messy places around the house, you will unconsciously think of tidying them up and bring order into them, and this unconscious state will drain energy from your present moment, it acts as a sort of brake to your full harmony. In messy places it's always some kind of past to be stored, that's what you gotta move away from.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default the Library of Alexandria can 2018 fit on a keychain

Clean, as in "stuff not everywhere", sure great, real and lasting order falls together ime, manufacturing a single oversystem is too fragile.

Removing timebombs is HUGE. Dirty clothes in the laundry's one thing, smeared butter on the ground (worse) attracts grease-eater ants and is a slip hazard; slip, maybe fall over, maybe spill more stuff, maybe ants raid the flour and set up shop and colonize, then so on. Messes make messes, and it's THOSE messes to take out first.

No real easy summary here -- going paperless helped, trimming news influx mostly down to Reuters and heterogeneous Twitter helped; there's a slippery conceptual cleaning sort of thing that's, maybe, somewhere before the physical matter crapflood, and cleaning this area up frees up resource/s too. Cleaning physical stuff is easier when there's less reliance on specific physical stuff. Knowledge and credit makes it easy to strip down -- rely on less, and be closer to indestructible. And boom, there comes the peace of mind.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but up to a point. If you spend your days cleaning (because some places require a lot of time to be really spotless clean) you won´t have much time to develop your "inside" - your introspective part.

I would actually change it like this - really messy surroundings cause some internal discomfort that can be disregarded but when you happen to be in orderly surroundings, you´ll notice it was there.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It comes from laziness.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So clean room makes you civil, though, reliable human being. And when I look around I think: I clean when someone comes to visit.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I want my mind to be dirty. Sometimes I clean to occupy my hands, but for its own sake I'm not really worried about it. Other people's messes bother me though.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eos View Post
    It comes from laziness.
    I guess I'm a lazy person then. I hardly notice my external environment, so even if my external environment is messy I'll hardly notice those mess. In fact, the only reason why I bothered to clean my surroundings is because there are people living together with me, but if I were to live alone by myself, I don't think I'll even bother to clean my surroundings.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Soul View Post
    I guess I'm a lazy person then. I hardly notice my external environment, so even if my external environment is messy I'll hardly notice those mess. In fact, the only reason why I bothered to clean my surroundings is because there are people living together with me, but if I were to live alone by myself, I don't think I'll even bother to clean my surroundings.
    wtv floats ur boat

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it when the smell is intense enough to mess with my ability to focus. My sense of smell isn't the best and my septum is deviated.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah its related to Si. It works

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    Does it apply to you?
    Do you have urges to declutter when a big change happens or when you are lost and need to reorganize your life?
    It applies to me, but I think this isn't the norm.
    I thought I couldn't be bothered by my surroundings until I spent a college year at a shared home with colleagues. Dirty surroundings take my peace, even if I try not to care, there's always that paper garbage in the corner of my eye waiting to be taken out.
    My family always told me how cluttered and disorganized I was....yeah sure, until I actually learned how worse others are. I was the only one with cleaning standards in our college house.
    My EIE boyfriend turned my room into a fucking landfill every weekend he spent there. People are truly disgusting.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I want my mind to be dirty. Sometimes I clean to occupy my hands, but for its own sake I'm not really worried about it. Other people's messes bother me though.
    i am the opposite. I can be really hard on myself about my own space, but I don’t mind how other people live/what they feel comfortable with so long as I don’t live with them or it’s not truly disgusting which is usually unlikely. I do think having a cleaner space makes my mind less chaotic. My dad is like this and so was his mom. That being said, I hate cleaning and I am far from perfect. I do see it as a personal reflection on myself to a degree though.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Ni polr mother used this as a way to “prove” that her mind was uncluttered— because she kept things in her environment clean. Lol. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth.

So I have a strong aversion to this and other Si “rule of thumb” type bullshit principles.

Sanitary and without any chemicals that would pose a threat to health would be my priority over others.

Quote Originally Posted by mloolks View Post
    Hello everyone, I want to buy a carpet steam cleaner. if anyone uses it, could you advise me a good and inexpensive brand? Is it true that a steam cleaner can remove any dirt? Of course, the device is very convenient, but it's important to choose it correctly. Moreover, the prices for good cleaners are high, and I would not want to make a mistake when choosing.
    What do you need one for? Stop spilling diarrhea all over the carpet.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Does it apply to you?
    No

I don't know.

Anal retentiveness mb.

In all honesty I prefer to rest and sleep than to clean up. My internal state is more important than cleaning up anything. However I try to not make a mess for others to clean. That goes against my values.