View Poll Results: Which one of these Genres is your favourite?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drama

1 10.00%
  • Thriller

8 80.00%
  • Horror

1 10.00%

Thread: Only for NTs: Which of these Genres is your favourite?

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Cool Only for NTs: Which of these Genres is your favourite?

I need to create a 360° video that is appealing to people who are predominately:
    NT (with perhaps a few LSI-Ti people in the mix), 25-45 y.o, and male. In this order.

The Genres I am considering are: Drama, Thriller, and Horror.
    I am inclined to include Comedy as a subgenre/subelement, because according to polls it is the universally most appealing Genre.

My video is most likely either gonna be a Comedy-Drama, Comedy-Thriller, or Comedy-Horror.

If you are NT or LSI-Ti (age and gender is less important), please tell me which one of the Genres above is your favourite and why (and ideally mention movies of that genre that you like!).
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crAck View Post
    pm or some such video when done
    Will be done in October or November.

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

*********** 21-04-19:

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like sci fi would be the obvious choice for this demographic.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post

GLENDOWER I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

HOTSPUR Why, so can I, or so can any man,
    But will they come when you do call for them?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My personal favorites are rom-coms, and Horror is easily my least favorite genre.

Movies I like which are not romantic comedies (except perhaps Groundhog Day and Charade) are:

Blade Runner
    Groundhog Day
    Queimada! (Burn!)
    Godfather Trilogy
    Die Hard
    Spaghetti Westerns
    Zulu
    Seven Samurai
    Donny Darko
    In a Lonely Place
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Charade

If I might add a note of caution regarding your choice for this project, let me repeat the dying words of Edmund Kean,
    "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."
    Most good comedians are miserable, and you seem pretty happy.

Most Gamma NT's are going to like a mystery or drama about smart people trying to outwit other smart people. It can go pretty dark, but it has to ring true. Your Ni and Fe should help you here with the details, but you might need to go to someone with high-dimensional Te for a plot that would appeal to NT's.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 07-22-2018 at 06:28 PM.

TIM
    ILE ENTp-Ti
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's comedy make it absurd like Monty Python.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Horror, scifi, action, adventure, and comedy are my favourites. A side note on comedy is that it depends on what kind it is. I can't stand rom-coms. I occasionally like drama but it depends on what it is. Thriller can be good too. I like some documentaries too, if it's on something that interests me and I don't find the filmmaker too bias/ideological in their presentation of the subject.

EDIT: upon re-reading the OP, I realize I didn't understand the question. You're not asking which genres NTs like, you are asking which of the genres you cite NTs are into. I personally would like to see comedy-horror.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my ILE friend just goes to the cinema when there are some big movies about those diseases that are gonna kill everyone and the hero saves the world

my LIE friend is a fan of all sci-fi, anime, cyberpunk, fantasy, comedy a la Big Bag theory sagas, I suspect she likes anything long

ILI friend, any genre similar to the LIE but especially things with wars and display of force, didn't like Amélie when he saw it

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Based on those three:

This is hard as my robotic head likes and produces parody from any kind of stuff. OK, too gloomy comedy starts to get itchy at some point. Elements of farce makes things really cool.

So when it comes to the most immersive stuff I have tried out horror games. While I can watch horror movies (and games) I can not keep myself together if I play those games. Horror parody: While Scary Movie series has its highlights it is quite boring overall.
    Horror Comedy: I have watched Psychoville series. While it is utterly sick it can be quite good. [Like rich hermit who sells his eyes to complete his toy collection or nurse who starts to treat doll as her living baby and makes blood transfusions and then doll becomes alive... and of course bringing back Nazis from death.]

Thriller: OK. Keeps my mind attached to it. So it is usually memorable for some time if interesting.

Drama: it really depends... If the context is right... interesting.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

tbh all three overlap, ideally a movie would be all three!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, as NT have SF ID, that action and love are good things to still includes into scenario, not the main point, but as part of it.
    The best exemple I have in mind is Vampire Hunter D movie.
    The half vampire who hunts vampires in a sort of sci-fi, fantasy, horror world gets hired to bring a girl who was kidnapped by a vampire. The twist is she was not kidapped, she ran away because she loved the vampire. Along with the dhampir, a group if human hunters get hired too, composed of three men and a woman.
    The dhampir develop some deep feelings for that Leila woman, even though he never acts on it.
    There is some twisted psychological stuff going on also.

What I mean is, if you focus too much on NT, it might end up a partial video.

Not everyone agrees on me being NT, but anyways.
    I prefer horrorish settings (vampires, monsters, demons), sort of thrillerish orientation (sherlock holmes, monk), but I don't like drama.
    Like @Adam Strange I like rom-com.
    Not a big fan of movies though, I'd rather read that.
    A movie I liked alot was Ender's Game.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRose View Post
    A movie I liked alot was Ender's Game.
    I didn't see the Ender's Game movie, but the book it was based on was intense. One of the best stories I've read in a long time.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I didn't see the Ender's Game movie, but the book it was based on was intense. One of the best stories I've read in a long time.
    Don't watch the movie, it'll ruin the book.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to create a 360° video that is appealing to people who are predominately:
    NT (with perhaps a few LSI-Ti people in the mix), 25-45 y.o, and male. In this order.
    Sorry, recently I dropped out of the range of age... but I'll tell you anyway...
    A little survey to know what's the preference of the audience to raise the success of your project?
    All right, I'll d it.

The Genres I am considering are: Drama, Thriller, and Horror.
    A movie can fall into multiple catogories, because you can sort most stories not into a single category of genre.
    But I tend to say for me it's:
    Thriller > Drama > Horror – in that order.

I am inclined to include Comedy as a subgenre/subelement, because according to polls it is the universally most appealing Genre.
    Yeah... Sounds good to me.

My video is most likely either gonna be a Comedy-Drama, Comedy-Thriller, or Comedy-Horror.
    I like Sci-Fi-Thrillers, classical Jules Verne style... e.g. 20000 Leagues under the sea, Journey to the center of the earth, Off on a comet,
    but also movies of the same genre like e.g. Forbidden Planet, 2001 - A Space Odyssee, War of the Worlds, Total Recall

Sci-Fi-Horror would be e.g. Frankenstein, I guess.

When it comes to horror movie, I only prefer comedy horror movies, but I'm not much a fan of classical horror movies.
    And the focus on comedic elements should be an emphasis on humor, like e.g. in the movie Army of Darkness.
    Excerpt of the dialog:...This is my boomstick (rifle in the middle ages)... which is a malapropism of broomstick in that scene of the movie.
    The transcription into German language has also a lot of word play, some scenes of the movie are even funnier than in the original language... Translator with -ego, I guess.
    Ash, the Tony Stark in the middle age ...Groovy

Ok, let me sum it up. Either Sci-Fi-Thriller or Comedy-Horror for me.

...btw. It looks like you don't have any doubt that I'm a NT type because you asked me (by my name).
    Last edited by WinnieW; 07-22-2018 at 08:58 PM.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most Gamma NT's are going to like a mystery or drama about smart people trying to outwit other smart people. It can go pretty dark, but it has to ring true.
    Movies like – Catch me if you can – or – Departed – comes to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Seems like sci fi would be the obvious choice for this demographic.
    Yeah, at least with a high probability.

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    my ILE friend just goes to the cinema when there are some big movies about those diseases that are gonna kill everyone and the hero saves the world
    Solve problems by using advanced technology seems NT, yes.
    Kill the disease without having to kill other people... But wait... leaving microorganisms no chance to survive? That's cruel, isn't it? They are living creatures either.
    Last edited by WinnieW; 07-22-2018 at 08:33 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this group isn't underage women, I would drop horror.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crAck View Post
    you can still pm
    smooth

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My ILE friend likes Tarantino and Burton's movies.
    Last edited by Hope; 07-23-2018 at 06:42 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great book. The movie was disappointing, I don't recommend it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch the movie, but Harrison Ford seemed sounded drunk in the Ender's Game trailer.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aki View Post
    My ILE friend likes Tarantino and Burton's movies.
    I do too.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hierarchy for those three genres is drama-thriller-horror for me. I never watch horror it is pointless and harmful. The movies I choose to watch are usually for a specific purpose unless recommended by another friend. Purpose can be understanding different sexualities more or learning a new language or gaining some historical information. I also like some comedies like Mama Mia!
    Drama I like real life representatives without too much Fe or Si like the French movie "The Kid With a Bike". About thriller I liked The silence of the lambs. Generally like movies with Jodie Foster in them.
    And yes I also like mystery. My recent favourite series is probably "Dark" and as a child always watched detective movies or Harry Potter (which is the only Fantasy movie I like)

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Movies like – Catch me if you can – or – Departed – comes to my mind.
    I actually don't like movies which seem a bit pretentious and are not mixed with comedy, because I can't compare myself to something as unrealistic as the "catch me if you can" movie character. But for example the BBC Sherlock is nice.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If this group isn't underage women, I would drop horror.
    I see, I see and you can't hide.

Seriously everything in horror is not about teen slashers although it seems like it is all about it at first glance but considering how fringe it is this is about right.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I actually don't like movies which seem a bit pretentious and are not mixed with comedy, because I can't compare myself to something as unrealistic as the "catch me if you can" movie character. But for example the BBC Sherlock is nice.
    The irony is that "catch me if you can" is based on a real story.
    Cool to see that another LIE likes Sherlock. The last LIE I asked about the show didn't like it for being unrealistic or something.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    I see, I see and you can't hide.

Seriously everything in horror is not about teen slashers although it seems like it is all about it at first glance but considering how fringe it is this is about right.
    Statistically Horror movies are enjoyed the most by teenage women, and less by men as they get older, continuously.

A teenage brain hasn't really developed an understanding emotional nuance. Emotional affect trumps emotional quality or preference.

Being frightened is internalized the same as being excited, aka Dopamine rush. And men play sports for that, but they also build skills in doing so and thus get some of that Serotonin.

That's why I said drop horror unless they're teenage girls. 25-42 year old NT men are about the last demographic for that.

Focus on science or Cat and Mouse thrillers.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, horror is one of my favorite genres and I'm a guy in the 25-40 demographic who practices sports.

People think horror is all about slasher stuff, but that isn't authentic horror to me. I think there is a difference between gore and horror. Read Lovecraft's essay Supernatural Horror in Literature. It lays down what every author of the genre should know, or at least take into account. I admit I find horror more authentic in literature than in movies. Horror movies are all about grossing people out. Authentic horror as Howard Phillips would have it is about the atmosphere of the supernatural.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Teapot View Post
    The irony is that "catch me if you can" is based on a real story.
    I know, and that's the problem with American "documentaries"

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post

my LIE friend is a fan of all sci-fi, anime, cyberpunk, fantasy, comedy a la Big Bag theory sagas, I suspect she likes anything long

ILI friend, any genre similar to the LIE but especially things with wars and display of force, didn't like Amélie when he saw it
    I didn't like Amelie, either. I couldn't even make it all the way through it, and i consume a massive amount of film and tv. I'm so cheered to hear of another person who doesn't think Amelie is great.
    I don't think anyone should take my critique on it as a great insight, especially given I didn't watch it in its entirety, but...how it came off when I was watching it was: nihilistic, callous, disengaged, disinterested and disinteresting; emotionally manipulative. People also seem to like the main character...a lot. I couldn't. And they smile at me and question me about her, expectant of my mutual delight. I enjoy liking the way a character is written or the way an actor plays a character. Amelie just seemed like she in the habit of being a vapid asshole, to me, and the director was asking us to think she was endearing and clever. That was cognitively jarring. I didn't get it. I am all about appreciating characters with flaws (Fleabag) or who are being an asshole and written that way ...like your standard Maleficent (original version). but when you act like someone is ADORABLE and ...so far they aren't....it just comes off as you telling us what to think. And I get bored and detached. one of the first things you learn about fiction writing is to show what is happening versus tell what is.
    Maybe I would see it differently if I gave the film another go.

maybe it's good, and I'm just not the target audience (some subset of the non-LIE set?)
    Last edited by nanashi; 01-11-2021 at 03:23 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unequivocally thriller, interesting

i mostly like drama but some thrillers also once in a while. I especially like Psych thrillers.
    Last edited by necrosebud; 01-10-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe it's a generational thing but most of the NTs that I've had dealings with seemed to prefer far-out-there escapism such as fantasy and sci-fi; they also seemed to talk about possibilities, constructs and settings more than the drama, thrills and or horror.

Note also that I work in a very high-tech environment, which likely has influenced tastes.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like sci-fi with exploration or adventure mixed in because it's novel and interesting, even if it's not a great show or movie; I recently watched Time trap on Netflix and really liked it because of the relativistic implications, but it's not a well-written film or anything like that. But Quentin Tarantino movies are pretty good at being interesting, without any need for scifi stuff. He's really good at taking mundane life and making it into something interesting. So if I have to pick, then really well-written thrillers is my pick. I really liked the old and new Bladerunner movies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose Zaniac 007 View Post
    omg, I have to watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    I didn't like Amelie, either. I couldn't even make it all the way through it, and i consume a massive amount of film and tv. I'm so cheered to hear of another person who doesn't think Amelie is great.
    I don't think anyone should take my critique on it as a great insight, especially given I didn't watch it in its entirety, but...how it came off when I was watching it was: nihilistic, callous, disengaged, disinterested and disinteresting; emotionally manipulative. People also seem to like the main character...a lot. I couldn't. And they smile at me and question me about her, expectant of my mutual delight. I enjoy liking the way a character is written or the way an actor plays a character. Amelie just seemed like she in the habit of being a vapid asshole, to me, and the director was asking us to think she was endearing and clever. That was cognitively jarring. I didn't get it. I am all about appreciating characters with flaws (Fleabag) or who are being an asshole and written that way ...like your standard Maleficent (original version). but when you act like someone is ADORABLE and ...so far they aren't....it just comes off as you telling us what to think. And I get bored and detached. one of the first things you learn about fiction writing is to show what is happening versus tell what is.
    Maybe I would see it differently if I gave the film another go.

maybe it's good, and I'm just not the target audience.
    hah, for what it's worth, I more or less felt the same way. I kept waiting for it to pick up or go somewhere from that, but it was the same thing for the whole movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

hah, for what it's worth, I more or less felt the same way. I kept waiting for it to pick up or go somewhere from that, but it was the same thing for the whole movie.
    Thank you, Nobody. It makes me feel better about not wanting to try it again. I didn't see it going any better.