Thread: Why I Am Not a Capitalist

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    For someone with such a careful, considerate respect for open-ended inquiry, you were certainly confident in boldly claiming that state growth is hurtful to the economy.
    That's a strange thing to say given how I phrased what I said.

I don't think saying "it makes you question..." equates to making bold claims.

Also, making claims and being open minded are not contradictory. Just because I believe something now doesn't mean you can't present a case to change my mind, partially if not entirely. You've made some claims yourself, do you consider that you are not open minded, or does the position one takes determine what is dogmatic and what is open minded, not the attitude one has towards arriving at the truth?

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    That's a strange thing to say given how I phrased what I said.

I don't think saying "it makes you question..." equates to making bold claims.

Also, making claims and being open minded are not contradictory. Just because I believe something now doesn't mean you can't present a case to change my mind, partially if not entirely. You've made some claims yourself, do you consider that you are not open minded, or does the position one takes determine what is dogmatic and what is open minded, not the attitude one has towards arriving at the truth?
    Your wording rather forcefully suggested a dichotomy between state size and economic health. I would have been a little more diplomatic had I known that your real thinking was more wavering and circumspect.

Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Your wording rather forcefully suggested a dichotomy between state size and economic health. I would have been a little more diplomatic had I known that your real thinking was more wavering and circumspect.
    Haha, it's cool.