Thread: Si and unhealthy food?

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Si and unhealthy food?

So, as ESI, I know I have demo 4D Si. I am not sure if that is why I am so aware of my bodily reactions to fast food and other junk. I mean...I'm pretty sure McDonald's butter is mostly made up of Chemical X from Power Puff Girls. It tastes. Like. Poison. Their food feels so bad, like it depletes my body of energy instead of replenishing it.

Is this related to Si, or do I just avoid it enough to be able to detect the bullshit in the food? Does anyone else have experiences with this?

TIM
    INxp
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think high-dimensional Si necessarily precludes people towards a need for healthy food, but your involuntary and strong disgust to junk food like MacDonalds could be indicative of it.
    Not because of the dislike if the food, but rather your sensitivity to what you understand your own body is telling you and your need to ‘change the conditions’ as it were.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manatroid92 View Post
    I don’t think high-dimensional Si necessarily precludes people towards a need for healthy food, but your involuntary and strong disgust to junk food like MacDonalds could be indicative of it.
    Not because of the dislike if the food, but rather your sensitivity to what you understand your own body is telling you and your need to ‘change the conditions’ as it were.
    Yeah, this has been my own line of thinking / wondering if this is the case. You said it well.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Junk food can give rise to lots of inner sensations. Si doesn't distinguish the good from the bad. Everything is experienced. First pleasant sensations and then maybe unpleasant. What the person actually does and will he eat junk food or not is more complicated.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McDonald’s has the best coke

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottled (glass) Mexican Coke is the best. Even though I shouldn't have any sugar, every so often I do and it's so good.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a difference between actually *noticing* the crap/additives in the food, and *assuming* they are there due to fore-knowledge of it. Regardless, on topic, serious quadra types tend to be more careful than merrys about what they get in their bodies, or at least, they should be.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I eat junk food from time to time, but it does take a toll on my body and yes, I can feel it. I can also tell I'm eating something even mildly stale/rotten/bad no matter how processed/disguised it is.

In principle, the less frequently I indulge in unhealthy food, the harsher the reaction when I do.
    Last edited by Park; 09-02-2022 at 03:56 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    There's a difference between actually *noticing* the crap/additives in the food, and *assuming* they are there due to fore-knowledge of it.
    Good point. I can definitely notice most of that stuff — my senses are very attuned to recognizing differences. Like, if there is even a 2% deviation from what I am familiar with, I will probably notice it. Sometimes I can tell what it is, but not always. But like, even with water — give me 3 bottles of still water from 3 different brands I've had before, blindfold me, and I will guess correctly which is which.
    Last edited by Park; 09-02-2022 at 03:57 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think it's Si related- I think Si is more about social comfort and harmonizing with others than the food stereotype. I think almost anybody can know in their bodies that eating junk or processed food feels worse than eating "real" food. As for why they do it anyway- its multi-faceted layer. Many people were taught to be self destructive and slowly kill urself eating poorly, depression and anxiety the fact that a lot of junk food does taste good in the moment even tho the physical affects are much worse down the road. When you are thin and attractive from eating well- you are often approached more and bothered by society because everybody is like 'oooh a good looking healthy person' and they like to steal ur energy like a vampire or sexually objectify you too much - some people become obese and unhealthy from poor diets to keep people away. Might sound like there's better ways to keep people away like 'Just be assertive!' but not everybody can do that so easily.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the taste of unhealthy food and even get an energy/wellbeing spike from it in moderation but avoid it in the pursuit of beauty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there,
    I totally get what you're saying about fast food! I'm not sure if it's a-Si thing, but I can sniff out that "Chemical X," too. Maybe our taste buds have upgraded to the food detective level. Here's to avoiding the food mysteries and sticking to the good stuff! I try to buy natural food ingredients and cook at home. What about you?
    Last edited by AdisWellys; 12-11-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Princess Unicorn View Post
    So, as ESI, I know I have demo 4D Si.
    You have Fe. mb SEI or other.

> I am not sure if that is why I am so aware of my bodily reactions to fast food and other junk.

Si types are most "aware" for subjective body sensations ("bodily reactions", taste quality). Se types tolerate bad food better. And have lesser interest to create themes about this.

> like it depletes my body of energy instead of replenishing it

Consequences of toxins and low quality food can be noticed. Some mb lead to feeling lower energy.

> Does anyone else have experiences with this?

I suppose to be more than average picky in food. For example, cheap sausages I mainly reject and prefer brisket meat.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is taking it a little too literally... Si has nothing to do with preferring healthy/unhealthy food.

Si perceives information about how processes are reflected by one's internal state and perceives external information in the form of sensations released by ongoing events. They are in tune with the sensations of others as well as their own from situation to situation.

"A tendency towards enjoyment in its most sophisticated forms. Characterized by creation of beautiful objects in various forms and a tendency to preserve already existing beauty. Providing for someone’s happiness and enjoyment is just as enjoyable as being on the receiving end. Does not try to create any troubles for others. A good mood, balanced stable mind, and a sense of well-being are the most important to them, the lack of which they will consider “disturbing.” Able to remember and recreate once experienced sensations. Can notice unpleasant sensations experienced by others and can see what is causing them. Has good taste in everything that concerns the harmony of sensations. Due to this, they can be conservative in their tastes. Has a tendency to be hypersensitive to sensory stimuli, readily avoiding areas that can create discomfort or insulating themselves from unpleasant surroundings."

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting

this is something I think I struggle with to some degree

recently I was having a conversation my brother and he mentioned “food doesn’t make him feel good when it has preservatives” and I’m still struggling to understand that (it’s not common for him ime to focus on this either given several incidences such as trying to create a Mac n cheese grilled cheese sandwich gross) and so I have difficulty coming to similar statements as the one in OP it’s possible I don’t notice them

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I (an LIE with Si-PoLR), will eat anything, no matter how it tastes or how old it is. I've sometimes scraped mold off food, then eaten it. Hey, the mold is mostly gone, so what's the problem? Besides, some molds are healthy.

My SLI son and SLI ex-wife hate this. (4D valued Si.) My son will sometimes come over and will throw out food if he thinks it's past it's expiration date. I come home and I find that the refrigerator has 20% of the stuff in it that it had in the morning, which is annoying.

Si is not just about food. It's also about clothes and noticing everything about them. My SLI ex-wife once treated me to a 45 minute monologue on how the shoelaces on her sneakers were chosen to match her eye color. For God's sake.

My ESI (4D unvalued Si) interior decorator and I were having lunch at a local coffee shop, and she said "You got a haircut today."
    She hadn't seen me for a week, so I asked her how she knew I got a haircut that morning?
    She pointed to my shirt and said "She didn't brush all the hairs off your collar."
    Hell, I think I get points for wearing a shirt at all. Hairs on my collar?
    This is why the ESI looks entirely put together 100% of the time, and I typically look like I'm homeless.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mbah...junk food tastes lame to me, but on the other hand having a proper meal takes time from other stuff - i mean day to day.
    I think in general nowadays even grocery stores have their choice of healthy ready made food. The taste is bland, but does its job.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I (an LIE with Si-PoLR), will eat anything, no matter how it tastes or how old it is. I've sometimes scraped mold off food, then eaten it. Hey, the mold is mostly gone, so what's the problem? Besides, some molds are healthy.

My SLI son and SLI ex-wife hate this. (4D valued Si.) My son will sometimes come over and will throw out food if he thinks it's past it's expiration date. I come home and I find that the refrigerator has 20% of the stuff in it that it had in the morning, which is annoying.

Si is not just about food. It's also about clothes and noticing everything about them. My SLI ex-wife once treated me to a 45 minute monologue on how the shoelaces on her sneakers were chosen to match her eye color. For God's sake.

My ESI (4D unvalued Si) interior decorator and I were having lunch at a local coffee shop, and she said "You got a haircut today."
    She hadn't seen me for a week, so I asked her how she knew I got a haircut that morning?
    She pointed to my shirt and said "She didn't brush all the hairs off your collar."
    Hell, I think I get points for wearing a shirt at all. Hairs on my collar?
    This is why the ESI looks entirely put together 100% of the time, and I typically look like I'm homeless.
    I changed my mind lately after spending too many years wasting time listening to remarks about my appearance (I still have 10 percent body fat and exercise almost every day, but my clothes are sometimes not perfect). Now i fight back and tell them they are superficial, you are almost 40 and still worrying about this stuff? I was surprised it works, some people feel ashamed. As soon as I see they are ashamed I power up and tell them they are also fat and ugly, then they stop berating me forever.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through a phase of changing my diet because I noticed certain foods making me crash and giving me brain fog. This wasn’t until my mid-20’s I came to these realizations. For example, twizzlers make me feel like shit and I don’t know why. I still eat them sometimes, though. Because they’re fun.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    I went through a phase of changing my diet because I noticed certain foods making me crash and giving me brain fog. This wasn’t until my mid-20’s I came to these realizations. For example, twizzlers make me feel like shit and I don’t know why. I still eat them sometimes, though. Because they’re fun.
    Twizzlers are fun, but eating them makes me sick, too. I think they contain a subtle but powerful poison which is slow-acting. Still, every few months, I will eat a few of them at once. I then get weirdly sick, and I'm off them for a few months again.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can totally relate to your sensitivity to fast food. It's amazing how our bodies react to different types of food. I think it's possible that your heightened awareness helps you pick up on the not-so-great stuff in fast food.
    For me, it's been a journey to find a balance. I've started incorporating healofoods.com beef bone broth into my meals, and it's made a world of difference. It's a convenient way to boost nutrition without sacrificing taste. So, even when faced with the allure of McDonald's, I know I can counteract it with some nourishing choices.
    Last edited by carrgordon; 01-05-2024 at 02:47 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I changed my mind lately after spending too many years wasting time listening to remarks about my appearance (I still have 10 percent body fat and exercise almost every day, but my clothes are sometimes not perfect). Now i fight back and tell them they are superficial, you are almost 40 and still worrying about this stuff? I was surprised it works, some people feel ashamed. As soon as I see they are ashamed I power up and tell them they are also fat and ugly, then they stop berating me forever.
    Not type related? I think I feel the same about appearance. So long as you maintain basic hygiene (as in you don't smell, put on relatively clean clothes, etc.) we're good, and I don't really care if you look this or that way. I might not necessarily like how you look, but in most instances I would brush it aside as unimportant. And I do find it superficial, sometimes even irritating, when someone tries to draw too much attention to my (or even someone else's) appearance. Unless it is something striking (either positive or negative, or just different), blatantly inappropriate, etc.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Not type related? I think I feel the same about appearance. So long as you maintain basic hygiene (as in you don't smell, put on relatively clean clothes, etc.) we're good, and I don't really care if you look this or that way. I might not necessarily like how you look, but in most instances I would brush it aside as unimportant. And I do find it superficial, sometimes even irritating, when someone tries to draw too much attention to my (or even someone else's) appearance. Unless it is something striking (either positive or negative, or just different), blatantly inappropriate, etc.
    I don't think SLIs care at all. Remarks were almost only from Se dominant types.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Good point. I can definitely notice most of that stuff — my senses are very attuned to recognizing differences. Like, if there is even a 2% deviation from what I am familiar with, I will probably notice it. Sometimes I can tell what it is, but not always. But like, even with water — give me 3 bottles of still water from 3 different brands I've had before, blindfold me, and I will guess correctly which is which.
    I can usually tell if water has been through reverse osmosis it has a sort of metallic taste to it. The best tasting water for me is Evian water. Desasani is the worst.
    "Precision beats power and timing beats speed"

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    The food industry uses all sorts of tactics into tricking our brain think something is healthy but it's actually horrible for you. Sweet stuff is really supposed to simulate fruits and honey which are far better for you. Nature even gave us the gift of fiber to protect our stomach from sugar inside of fruits.
    "Precision beats power and timing beats speed"