TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shining Clarity on the SLI - ISTp profile description

Intro:

Hey all. While this account doesn't have any history, I have had a handful of accounts throughout the years on here. I took breaks whenever the blatant mistypings and confusions got to be just too crazy. So like a hermit I have been working on getting a solid understanding of myself so that I can understand socionics so that I can then explain it and reduce the crazy typing discrepancies that are found! I am curious if you will find my description helpful or misguided, because I am all about fine tuning and sharing what I know, cause I know even vets are still unsure. Hope you enjoy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not every SLI is a chef, doctor, or mechanic. Now, I know this contradicts every translated article you’ve ever read, but I swear to you it’s true...

Si:

Describing Si as a sense of health and comfort does every Si lead a huge disservice because who in their right mind can say “I am my own health guru by virtue of birth”? The average description of Si is hard for anyone to relate to, even Si leads themselves. It comes with no surprise then that Si types are riddled with extreme stereotypes. “Overly-conservative, close-minded traditionalist” is what every typing noob runs with (and sadly most typers continue to run with it throughout the years) Being close-minded is a fault in logic, not a natural mode of cognition as perception is not a conscious decision.

Si is all about impressions – it is a sponge for everything. We absorb. Most of the time we have no idea what we are absorbing. But we can feel our deepest, inner gears at work as it is happening. “What do you mean feeling your thoughts? That is nonsense!,” one might say. This is where Socionics’ body sense description actually carries some (clunky) validity: Si is king of somatic subtlety. Gut feelings, vibes, hunches, “auras” are Si’s domain! Sensory information is streamed through our vast database of experience, a sea that remains mostly unconscious, to arrive at our consciousness with a definite flavor, a definite impression picked up from the past that is stored within us. Contrast this subjectivity of Si with the objectivity of Se that keeps sensory information outside of itself, preventing the bias and individualization that accompanies Si. Jung described Si as anthropomorphizing objects and animals and it is precisely because of its staining the outer world with its own bias that it re-casts these things superstitiously. We live in a very colorful world!

Te:

Si needs guidance. On its own it is merely a data vacuum. Over time it catalogs patterns, but without a rational function these patterns acquire no meaning and no opportunities of capitalization. Te is our best friend. Give us facts, give us principles in which to interpret our experiences and we will master interpreting the data. SiTes can also come up with their own conclusions about raw data, but THEY NEED EXPERIENCE, testing and calculating in the real world! For example, consider body language. Before being educated upon how to read people, an SiTe might subconsciously figure out it is best to avoid someone who has their fists clenched in the corner. The only information they have to go on at that point is a strange gut feeling that tells them to avoid him. Later on they read a book (Te) that describes what this posture is correlated with. Now both the unconscious and the conscious may together decide that it is best to avoid him. Past data can now be analyzed through a Te lens while simultaneously using that data's history to judge if the proposed fact itself is applicable. The Si – Te dynamic is one of information gathering (Si) and conclusion making (Te) much like a laboratory experiment (See Gulenko’s Vortical-Synergetic Cognition) Te is creative in that we apply it to our first function (raw data) and come up with conclusions and thus plans of action.

(Ne and Fi are areas that need much more study for me. It took much to come to the above understanding and I look forward to contributing my study to these two functions as well!)

To address the stereotypes of conservatism in Si leads: it carries validity (as does almost every stereotype) Our inner data is paramount to our psyche. Whatever perspective we currently hold has been blasted by Te through our Si database, tested the best ways we could have thought to test it. Time allows for more experience and verifying facts and opinions so the longer a perspective has been with us the more vigorously it has withstood our tests of it. To expect us to go along immediately and cheerfully with a brand new idea that refutes the old one is counter our way of being. It is pure close-mindedness to outright reject the new, but it makes cognitive sense in an Si psyche to carefully explore and test the new, giving it the time and experience our current view has weathered through as well.

To address my first sentence: while not every SiTe knows about the body, about cooking, and about mechanics, they are definite interests or areas of admiration for just about any SiTe. Those three represent areas in daily life that can promote harmony and good feelings or destroy it (Feeling great in your body vs feeling pain. Enjoying delicious food vs. miserably craving food. Having an enjoyable riding experience vs. being broken down and stranded) Because of Delta’s minus Si, We strive to prevent negative events from occurring, specifically the concrete and experiential events associated with those three areas and Si. While all Deltas care about these things, sometimes circumstance dictates worries that are of greater concern than dabbling in any of those stereotypical Si areas. An SiTe will always do what they believe is most rational, and if that does not include any of their hobbies of natural aptitude you can bet they are wishing for and perhaps working towards a life that can support that - we are Reinin Obstinate after all ...

I am working on writing up more. To me there was a lot of mystery in most descriptions of the first two functions, so I am hoping that even one person is able to get something out of an SLI's description of SLI

P.S. USE REININ USE REININ USE REININ

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if you can't stand by your own history I feel like there's no reason to take this post seriously

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How so, Bertrand? Are you implying I must be hiding something that is seriously affecting my conclusions? But.... oh yeah.... I remember you

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

because your past is a part of you and a part of reality you can't just cut it out without losing information. if what you say is true then it should incorporate the past not deny it. any genuine explanation of anything will stand up to critiques rooted in things that actually happened, otherwise you're rationalizing half a picture and doing so intentionally. its bad faith in your own ability to stand up to scrutiny

I respect your ability to admit it up front though, because most people just try to conceal that part too. but it doesn't help them, it only makes things worse

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see where you are coming from but thankfully I am not running for potus and my character has nothing to do with my interpretations just like Gulenko doesn't give his life story for every thing he tries to explain. I mean discredit right of the bat if you want but I was mainly looking for feedback thinking the interpretation and facts could speak for themselves. You won't even grace me with a reading? lmao suit yo self brotha. Kinda was hoping for teamwork here

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sorry teamwork requires trust and you're off on the wrong foot

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the anteaters and camels have it out for each other

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you are@Tacit right?
    Last edited by Hope; 04-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Camelus View Post
    You should put this part at the beginning so we don't waste our time.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Gut feelings, vibes, hunches, “auras” are Si’s domain!
    This pretty much confirms that my cousin who is into new age is SLI (as I used to think, but then I started having doubts because she describes herself as head in the clouds). Not becasue she is into new age but because she bases her belief system on subjective (largely sensory) experiences.

I think your description of Si seems accurate, though I cannot confirm as Si is something I usually don't pay attention to, or even want to pay attention to except when it's really necessary or an emergency. I'd rather just avoid it.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 04-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct, that was the last one I think. Ok, I am willing to hear your explanation if you so wish... but it will have to be strong because 'seems' get thrown around on this forum a lot and it irks me because everything seems like something else to someone else and it makes Socionics useless. After reading and reading and reading Chapter 10 and concluding that Si was literally my brain, go for it

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have got to be kidding me, right? I mean fine, have an opinion, but I am not looking for sass as much as a detailed explanation. Have the decency to explain why? I mean heck, you've already wasted your time responding anyway. I have spent a ton of time humbly and eagerly researching. If your critique is "You use Reinin -> all your input is invalid" then why even bother posting? Not really a critique even. Not constructive

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

he's trying to direct you away from Reinin. if he had said "i humbly suggest you look elsewhere for the basis of your system" would you have received it better? perhaps you would have simply demanded he explain why. perhaps he didn't want to play that game so simply was confrontational about it up front, signalling the downrage reticence to go into all the details for you. in other words, do your own research and don't rely primarily on Reinin because he is often abused (its nothing really against Reinin, more about the ability of novices to understand him). now if you can explain why Reinin and everything else makes sense taken together, then you have a winning theory and something worthy of the term clarity. until then you're basically off on the wrong foot again because its an attempt to provide clarity on the basis of the guy who is notoriously misused and source of a lot of muddying of the waters. its like trying to clean with dirty water, how much explanation is required that that is a bad idea

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Avebury

There is something that a lot of people seem to ignore, and that is someone's current emotional state. Like depression etc. really mess with someone and can make them fit stereotypes of other functions they would never resemble when healthy...and so the long drawn out case-study typings of people really seems to be best. Even self descriptors like head in the clouds...like that could be caused by a number of present factors in her life, ya know? Or not, but it is very...finicky hence this forums constant struggle

If this description is on the right track to begin with... then maybe, lol. I could be so off, but I am always down to convincing logic Thanks for your input

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I indeed have been able to link Reinin's pieces quite well together. That is why I threw a few links in. There is much more still unwritten. Now if 6 years = novice....I post this not as a noob but as a passionate devotee. It seems so far some here have been phobic to actually analyze what I have written. All I ask is for the contents and ideas themselves. Not "eww reinin' fallacy by that one dude and "life or death" trust by you for whatever reason. Now I know I have given you my sass back so I don't blame you for not wanting to give an analysis at this point. Buuut input that isn't constructive and is in fact borderline rude isn't appreciated

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have got to be kidding me, right? I mean fine, have an opinion, but I am not looking for sass as much as a detailed explanation. Have the decency to explain why? I mean heck, you've already wasted your time responding anyway. I have spent a ton of time humbly and eagerly researching. If your critique is "You use Reinin -> all your input is invalid" then why even bother posting? Not really a critique even. Not constructive
    ok. Your concepts seem to be a mishmash of Jung, MBTI, questionable parts of socionics, and some other stuff.

"Health and comfort" isn't a perfect definition of Si but it's still pretty good (let's compare it to your definition).

“Overly-conservative, close-minded traditionalist”

This is MBTI/Keirsey, not Socionics. In socionics this is associated with Ne vulnerable types.

You say:

Si is all about impressions – it is a sponge for everything. We absorb.
    This is too vague to really comment on. All IM elements produce information in some way. I would say that Si takes in immediate experience, it's not involved with the mental world or things that are removed from immediate experience.

Gut feelings, vibes, hunches, “auras” are Si’s domain!
    This is just completely off the mark. This is Ni/Fe territory.

Sensory information is streamed through our vast database of experience, a sea that remains mostly unconscious, to arrive at our consciousness with a definite flavor, a definite impression picked up from the past that is stored within us.
    MBTI

Contrast this subjectivity of Si with the objectivity of Se that keeps sensory information outside of itself, preventing the bias and individualization that accompanies Si. Jung described Si as anthropomorphizing objects and animals and it is precisely because of its staining the outer world with its own bias that it re-casts these things superstitiously. We live in a very colorful world!

Te:

Si needs guidance. On its own it is merely a data vacuum. Over time it catalogs patterns, but without a rational function these patterns acquire no meaning and no opportunities of capitalization. Te is our best friend. Give us facts, give us principles in which to interpret our experiences and we will master interpreting the data. SiTes can also come up with their own conclusions about raw data, but THEY NEED EXPERIENCE, testing and calculating in the real world! For example, consider body language. Before being educated upon how to read people, an SiTe might subconsciously figure out it is best to avoid someone who has their fists clenched in the corner. The only information they have to go on at that point is a strange gut feeling that tells them to avoid him. Later on they read a book (Te) that describes what this posture is correlated with. Now both the unconscious and the conscious may together decide that it is best to avoid him. Past data can now be analyzed through a Te lens while simultaneously using that data's history to judge if the proposed fact itself is applicable. The Si – Te dynamic is one of information gathering (Si) and conclusion making (Te) much like a laboratory experiment (See Gulenko’s Vortical-Synergetic Cognition) Te is creative in that we apply it to our first function (raw data) and come up with conclusions and thus plans of action.

(Ne and Fi are areas that need much more study for me. It took much to come to the above understanding and I look forward to contributing my study to these two functions as well!)

To address the stereotypes of conservatism in Si leads: it carries validity (as does almost every stereotype) Our inner data is paramount to our psyche. Whatever perspective we currently hold has been blasted by Te through our Si database, tested the best ways we could have thought to test it. Time allows for more experience and verifying facts and opinions so the longer a perspective has been with us the more vigorously it has withstood our tests of it. To expect us to go along immediately and cheerfully with a brand new idea that refutes the old one is counter our way of being. It is pure close-mindedness to outright reject the new, but it makes cognitive sense in an Si psyche to carefully explore and test the new, giving it the time and experience our current view has weathered through as well.
    I could go on...but the choice of interpreting body language (an Fe area) using "a strange gut feeling" as an example of Si makes no sense. "A strange gut feeling" in this context sounds more like Ni used with ethics.

Jung's description of Si is not very good and it includes a lot of what is clearly recognizable as socionics Ni. I don't blame him, he was still in the early stages of developing his theory and Augusta ended up changing it quite a bit.

To address my first sentence: while not every SiTe knows about the body, about cooking, and about mechanics, they are definite interests or areas of admiration for just about any SiTe. Those three represent areas in daily life that can promote harmony and good feelings or destroy it (Feeling great in your body vs feeling pain. Enjoying delicious food vs. miserably craving food. Having an enjoyable riding experience vs. being broken down and stranded) Because of Delta’s minus Si, We strive to prevent negative events from occurring, specifically the concrete and experiential events associated with those three areas and Si. While all Deltas care about these things, sometimes circumstance dictates worries that are of greater concern than dabbling in any of those stereotypical Si areas. An SiTe will always do what they believe is most rational, and if that does not include any of their hobbies of natural aptitude you can bet they are wishing for and perhaps working towards a life that can support that
    ok, this is somewhat more recognizable as socionics.

So yes, now I have "played the game". There isn't a whole lot more to say unless you are willing to take my word that Reinin dichotomies (etc.) are not reliable, or maybe if you take a deeper look at my interpretation of socionics (see sig). Most of the proof for this comes from experience with countless examples (aka real people). You just have to try out different theories and see what works. Maybe you have done something similar but your conclusions are not the same.
    Last edited by Exodus; 04-13-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think Tallmo has a super interesting take on Si which is something more like "accretion" coupled with "quality" which is experienced as a sense of kind of "savoring", almost like "texture" and everything has its own texture

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@thehotelambush thank you very much for your expertise. I had been avoiding Augusta in favor for Gulenko and Reinin as it seemed to click better with Jung's chapter 10. It seems like there are many "dialects" in Socionics that cause clashes of misunderstanding and disagreement. I agree yours is most pure to Augusta's hands down, and therefore is probably the truest form of Socionics. I need to study this divergence between Jung and Augusta more before I am convinced his Cognitive functions needed updating, as some of Augusta's descriptions are inconceivable to me (I may not be intelligent enough, but at this point I still prefer the purer Jung infinitely) Perhaps in Augusta's view of the cognitive functions my little write up was downright OFF, but I do still believe it follows Jung's original work quite closely

Thank you!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@<a href="http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/member.php?u=564" target="_blank">thehotelambush</a> thank you very much for your expertise. I had been avoiding Augusta in favor for Gulenko and Reinin as it seemed to click better with Jung's chapter 10.
    If you read Gulenko (and probably Reinin also) you will see that he also defines Si as comfort. So there is some kind of disconnect here.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Camelus How close does my description of SLI fit you?

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...iption-by-I-O?

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    "Health and comfort" isn't a perfect definition of Si but it's still pretty good (let's compare it to your definition).
    Nah. It's a funny stereotype. But it's not what Si is about. There are people without Si who still focus on health and comfort, and there are people with it who don't prioritize those. Si is about personal connection with sensory matters.

Si is all about impressions – it is a sponge for everything. We absorb. Most of the time we have no idea what we are absorbing. But we can feel our deepest, inner gears at work as it is happening. “What do you mean feeling your thoughts? That is nonsense!,” one might say. This is where Socionics’ body sense description actually carries some (clunky) validity: Si is king of somatic subtlety. Gut feelings, vibes, hunches, “auras” are Si’s domain!
    Auras? I'm skeptical of this description. What do you mean by "auras"?

Give us facts, give us principles in which to interpret our experiences and we will master interpreting the data. SiTes can also come up with their own conclusions about raw data, but THEY NEED EXPERIENCE, testing and calculating in the real world! For example, consider body language. Before being educated upon how to read people, an SiTe might subconsciously figure out it is best to avoid someone who has their fists clenched in the corner. The only information they have to go on at that point is a strange gut feeling that tells them to avoid him. Later on they read a book (Te) that describes what this posture is correlated with.
    I like this.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILE ENTp-Ti
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen MBTI data which showed that Si is the most annoying function and ESE and LSE are top ones. By the way, it's my guilty pleasure to hit the weak Ni of Si types. This way I got their attention ;-)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Aura sounds like woo woo.
    I do think that I get you what you mean by it though. That stuff is probably not sensing. It is perceived continual hunch from seen display. When is suggestive it seems to be very short indeed and goes bit further as strengthens while actual input from external becomes lower and lower.

This just convinces me that you are introverted and sensing person.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falsehope View Post
    I've seen MBTI data which showed that Si is the most annoying function and ESE and LSE are top ones. By the way, it's my guilty pleasure to hit the weak Ni of Si types. This way I got their attention ;-)
    They interpret Si as "comparing with the past" or something like that. They basically "invent" a function to explain the perceived conservatism of the SJ types.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah maybe im just being a hipster but I think Si might be the God function at this point

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post

As a definition it is bad, but as an example of Si it is pretty good.

Si stretches through a broad spectrum of introverted sensations

comfort, health, sensuality, body sensations, impressions from environment (evoked by the environment), in some cases bordering on the spiritual.

The sense perceptions from objects feel "deeper", "genuine", "organic" or even "archaic". Something like the "spirit of the material". It is simply a fact that all the objects and materials around us evoke impressions, and these impressions are then sensed. It can be almost anything: wood, plastic, dust, liquids, paper, metals etc.

In many cases this is really ordinary. Its only when one starts to pick it apart to look at Si, that the psychic component is recognized.

If we want to sum it up I would suggest "impressions" as a good keyword. It basically covers it all, but one has to give these examples also in order to better understand Si.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    As a definition it is bad, but as an example of Si it is pretty good.
    Yes that's what I meant.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intro:

Hey all. While this account doesn't have any history, I have had a handful of accounts throughout the years on here. I took breaks whenever the blatant mistypings and confusions got to be just too crazy. So like a hermit I have been working on getting a solid understanding of myself so that I can understand socionics so that I can then explain it and reduce the crazy typing discrepancies that are found! I am curious if you will find my description helpful or misguided, because I am all about fine tuning and sharing what I know, cause I know even vets are still unsure. Hope you enjoy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not every SLI is a chef, doctor, or mechanic. Now, I know this contradicts every translated article you’ve ever read, but I swear to you it’s true...

Si:

Describing Si as a sense of health and comfort does every Si lead a huge disservice because who in their right mind can say “I am my own health guru by virtue of birth”? The average description of Si is hard for anyone to relate to, even Si leads themselves. It comes with no surprise then that Si types are riddled with extreme stereotypes. “Overly-conservative, close-minded traditionalist” is what every typing noob runs with (and sadly most typers continue to run with it throughout the years) Being close-minded is a fault in logic, not a natural mode of cognition as perception is not a conscious decision.

Si is all about impressions – it is a sponge for everything. We absorb. Most of the time we have no idea what we are absorbing. But we can feel our deepest, inner gears at work as it is happening. “What do you mean feeling your thoughts? That is nonsense!,” one might say. This is where Socionics’ body sense description actually carries some (clunky) validity: Si is king of somatic subtlety. Gut feelings, vibes, hunches, “auras” are Si’s domain! Sensory information is streamed through our vast database of experience, a sea that remains mostly unconscious, to arrive at our consciousness with a definite flavor, a definite impression picked up from the past that is stored within us. Contrast this subjectivity of Si with the objectivity of Se that keeps sensory information outside of itself, preventing the bias and individualization that accompanies Si. Jung described Si as anthropomorphizing objects and animals and it is precisely because of its staining the outer world with its own bias that it re-casts these things superstitiously. We live in a very colorful world!

Te:

To address my first sentence: while not every SiTe knows about the body, about cooking, and about mechanics, they are definite interests or areas of admiration for just about any SiTe. Those three represent areas in daily life that can promote harmony and good feelings or destroy it (Feeling great in your body vs feeling pain. Enjoying delicious food vs. miserably craving food. Having an enjoyable riding experience vs. being broken down and stranded) Because of Delta’s minus Si, We strive to prevent negative events from occurring, specifically the concrete and experiential events associated with those three areas and Si. While all Deltas care about these things, sometimes circumstance dictates worries that are of greater concern than dabbling in any of those stereotypical Si areas. An SiTe will always do what they believe is most rational, and if that does not include any of their hobbies of natural aptitude you can bet they are wishing for and perhaps working towards a life that can support that - we are Reinin Obstinate after all ...

I am working on writing up more. To me there was a lot of mystery in most descriptions of the first two functions, so I am hoping that even one person is able to get something out of an SLI's description of SLI

I am not an SLI but I got something out of this. It's fascinating to me, especially the more subjective info on what si and te feel like to live with. This is probably because I think there is a kind of parallel process going on with me (IEE). With dominant Ne too you can feel stuff going on constantly under the surface most of which you are not conscious of. I am only just stating to really be aware of it and trust it, at 36 years old. I get the whole magic idea, I think it requires trust. Growing up I couldn't do anything that I couldn't show had been thoroughly thought through and proven to work to my mum, who is LSI, and I learnt to distrust my presentiments, my intuition. It's only now I am starting to realise what is going on for me when I walk into a new space, how all this information and feelings are flying at me, words, objects, imagined and real past, present and future. Rather than absorb Ne explores, it bounces against everything and tests it, sometimes slightly offending people in the process. It swims in meaning, it is also raw material that needs grounding, that is why if it lacks this it can be dismissed very easily by the world, and by your own self.

Our Fi also is the experience to help us shape and filter what Ne intuits. Except it is not a book your can read externally but a book that is built within you but it's pages are obscure. You have to sit and look internally and reflect on yourself to be able to read it properly, and even then you can only get bits and pieces, it needs experience to show itself as well. That is why writing is so helpful for me, especially writing fiction, as I get to know my self and my values through using my intuition. Hindsight also helps because looking at my life I can see, now that I am starting to clearly read and understand my Fi and values, that basically everything I do and have done makes sense when held up to those values though the actions seem very haphazard by the worlds terms.

I think this is where we (sli and iee) have an affinity because we are slightly busy perceiving and processing all the time which is both a gift and a burden depending on how you use and trust your own perceptions.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah I definitely think Jung's writing on Si is still the best. Simply focusing on the "subjective factor of sensation" really says it all. I think somewhere people tried to articulate what that was like and it got confused along the way. Comfort sensing is a good way to phrase it, but it still loads the concept with notions of positive or pleasing subjective sensation, when the nature of it as a base function is larger than that... I think it suffers from a similar problem as Fi when evaluated by Ti, which is to say language fails at a certain point to articulate "the other" because of how qualitatively distinct they are. You could just as easily go with what Si or Fi takes Ti to be, and it would be equally valid. People don't consider that and think the nature of Si lies encapsulated within Ti descriptions and then are left cold when it doesn't add up or are confusing, but this is normal when you consider that Si is itself irrational and as a base function preceeds Ti in its phenomenology. To say its about positive impressions is like say Ti is about "correct ideas"--its more like they're both about viewing the world through a lens composed of either syntax or irrational "forms" experienced via the senses. what is pleasing is individual but each is in the process of working out and attaching coordinates to everything so as to navigate the world

I think Ne and Si are related in terms of meaning because its like--when people say x how can they be sure the other person understands them? Ne is about living in the field wherein one can intuit what the person meant, without focusing too hard on the sign, but rather what it was thrown up to point to. its a form of "catching on" in spirit if not in a "formal" sense. Si is more about cataloguing the arsenal of signs that work and the associations people have with them, until eventually theyre brimming with analogies and symbols at their disposal, because they have remembered what associations people make from the ground up, its like the structural filling of what Ne tracks the silhouette of. Si is the sort of phenomenological flesh and blood under the skin, where Ne is the outline and the whole thing in motion

Ti Se is sort of the opposite of this where they have translated that "natural" experience into a formal system based on observable and reproducible signs. in this sense it can nail down "meaning" and reproduce it "at will" but at the same time its numinosity is degraded or lost. its why Si can draw on a wealth of symbols and achieve the same goal but Se Ti requires very precise language to convey something similar and has to do it in a very specific way, it exists less in the "flow" being able to pull from the lifesteam directly. its the artificial side to the natural world of symbols and meaning. Ni in turn is using the artificial side in time to calculate transformations in time so as to strategize and see into the future, in this sense its "power" is individual and subjective and not drawing upon the collective unconscious in the way Ne does