Page 185 of 272 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,400 of 10876

Thread: what are you listening to?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

dewusional entitwed snowfwake VewyScawwyNawcissist's Avatar
    TIM
    NF 6w5-4w5-1w9 VLEF
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://linktr.ee/tehhnicus
    Jesus is King stops black magic and closes portals

self diagnosed ASD, ADHD, schizotypal/affective

Your face makes your brain and sociotype – how muscle use shapes personality

I want to care
    if I was better I’d help you
    if I was better you’d be better

Human Design 2/4 projector life path 1

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im curious what Ni types think about this music (or anybody). How do you react to it? Do you associate anything.

Its interesting music. Also kindof scary, nightmarish..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnGrsxxnF8
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Im curious what Ni types think about this music (or anybody). How do you react to it? Do you associate anything.

I didn't listen to all of it but the first minute just reminded me of a horror movie with exorcism..

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still listening to it now. It's oddly comforting. Yea, it makes me feel really nice.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I'm still listening to it now. It's oddly comforting. Yea, it makes me feel really nice.
    I like it. There are lots of things going on. At one point it sounds like someone is turning a page in a book and then it's like lots of pages are being turned or it blends together. Strange dream like things. The composer is pretty famous, Kaija Saariaho.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounded pretty Ni- to me. I might be biased bc I speak both german and french, but it made me think of two old lovers separated by life; first they write each others letters(Briefe) and then decide to meet in the big city a winter evening(la neige; j'écarte tes cheveux). The woman gets the letter with meeting time and date too late. So many people, so many voices(Menschen), cars, planes(can hear those at some point); it's cold, his feet are numb. He looks for her in the faces of unknown people. When she arrives, he's not there anymore.

Said in German at some point: "When people are far away, you can think of each other; when they are near, you can touch them; everything else exceeds human power." ("Man kann an einen nahen Menschen denken, und einen fernen fassen; alles Andere geht über Menschenkraft" -> just looked it up, it's a quote by F. Kafka)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Krishna

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame it on my add baby

-Krishna

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    I like it for the originality but I wouldn't listen to it anymore. I like the dissonance on the first parts then it became boring and too random. The bumblebee-like sound of the string made me feel like I'm being massaged.

As for association - I imagined bees, abandoned place, sepia colors first. Then a shadow man with a bowler hat showed up. I listened to it at 4 am, maybe it helped with the imagination. I started thinking of a scenario of a shadow man talking to me. He seems to be an older man and he told me that he follows and would always follow me. We were in a classroom. Initially the classroom was full of students smiling at me. Then they all disappeared and immediately after that I got surrounded by broken porcelain dolls. They are all dirty, as if they were unearthed. Then the shadow man told me that we have a lot of things to fix and throw away.

Note that being in a classroom is a recurring theme in my dreams recently though and I might be going through something internally. Also I just think about random things all the time lol.
    That was a lot of imagination. Do you feel that it came with the music or was it more like a day dream that appeared as you listened but not necessarily connected to the sounds?

I didn't imagine much. I had feelings hard to describe about distance, memory, familiarity, closeness. Like around 1 min there is a sound of an airplane far away. I felt the distance in the air, a feeling of change, something moving, huge body in the sky, human activity. There was also a cough that contrasted nicely with the other sounds, like suddenly bringing forward the human body or everyday sounds. Somebody turned a page, the sound of paper, and then it repeated but blended together like the whole book was flying away. These things are hard to describe.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkdhf qkb View Post
    It sounded pretty Ni- to me. I might be biased bc I speak both german and french, but it made me think of two old lovers separated by life; first they write each others letters(Briefe) and then decide to meet in the big city a winter evening(la neige; j'écarte tes cheveux). The woman gets the letter with meeting time and date too late. So many people, so many voices(Menschen), cars, planes(can hear those at some point); it's cold, his feet are numb. He looks for her in the faces of unknown people. When she arrives, he's not there anymore.

Said in German at some point: "When people are far away, you can think of each other; when they are near, you can touch them; everything else exceeds human power." ("Man kann an einen nahen Menschen denken, und einen fernen fassen; alles Andere geht über Menschenkraft" -> just looked it up, it's a quote by F. Kafka)
    Nice that you were able to build some kind of story like that. I didn't think much what the words meant, I did understand some of the German. The repeating of the "Briefe" sounded mostly scary and unnatural to me, something stuck in the head. There was some Finnish also but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

I agree that the music sounds "Ni", although I would have a hard time explaining what exactly it is.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkdhf qkb View Post

https://saariaho.org/works/stilleben/

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    That's interesting, it seems like you focused on the actual music and what the artist was trying to make the listener experience.

In my case what made me pay attention were the voices and the bumblebee-like sound. That's when my head started going places. Maybe those things struck some chord within, then the visuals in my head just continued to show up aligned with the music. This normally happens to me on a daily basis, even when I'm doing something my head comes up with random things depending on what I see or experience (e.g. looking at the window would make me think of a plane crashing to it, or doing something reminds me of past scenarios then I would start imagining what would happen related to it in the future/alternate reality). I normally do it with music, I sometimes listen and make some sort of a music video with it.
    Because Si is experienced in the object itself I have been wondering if it is the same with Ni. It's still a little unclear to me how much Ni is connected to the experience that caused it. So is the intuition experienced in the music itself, or more on the side. I have thought that it is experienced in the object (the music), but I am not sure. Well it doesn't matter now, I might figure it out someday.

I was just absorbing the atmosphere and feeling tone of it. But I didn't try to make sense of it actively. My world is mostly about vague sensing and feeling tones, so it's on a pretty "primitive" level. It also seems that I never understood the main theme of the work that the artist was trying to convey. https://saariaho.org/works/stilleben/

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    IEE-Ne cp684 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still-Leben reminded me of the movie Alphaville by Godard I saw some while back

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Because Si is experienced in the object itself
    this is wrong, thats Se, Si is heavily focused on how the object makes the subject feel physically.

Ni is pretty much akin to ''gut feeling'', and intuition in the every day sense of the word. Somehow unconsciously knowing the outcome or ''knowing'' you should or shouldnt do something.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    this is wrong, thats Se, Si is heavily focused on how the object makes the subject feel physically.

Ni is pretty much akin to ''gut feeling'', and intuition in the every day sense of the word. Somehow unconsciously knowing the outcome or ''knowing'' you should or shouldnt do something.
    I said Si is EXPERIENCED IN THE OBJECT. That's not the same as Se. Se is direct sensing of the object. I am aware of the distinction between Si and Se thank you. If you dont get what I mean then read Jung on Si.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEI 4w5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't believe I never realized how motivating this would be for a run before today. There's always a desperate steeliness in anything Richter plays.

TIM
    IEI 4w5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm I skipped around, but associations for me were kind of like demonic voices. I'd probably never listen to this for either the ambience or for an emotional state I'd want to be in.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Menuetto from Beethoven's 1st symphony. This is such a good expression of a new spirit. Like waking up from a refreshing sleep and going out into the world again.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged