Page 69 of 199 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,760 of 7936

Thread: Your typing of forum members

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As long as he keeps Solcionics all to himself and people who are receptive towards his method, he could be typing people by the length of their toe nails for all I care

It's the fact that he is downright shoving his typology method peen down other, unwilling people's throats that's bothering me. And this leads to lowkey and highkey bullying on his part which is, again, rough handling and not nice at all. (Delilah being a prime example of this and apparently his favorite)

Hey! People might be more receptive to your ideas if you don't treat them as if they're not real outside your computer. Food for thought.
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any suggestions for my Enneagram type (especially instict stacking) based off my pinterest? I'm questioning my instinctual variant, at the moment.

~joining the pinterest board typing craze!!!~

The Neighborhood Witch Nocturne's Avatar
    TIM
    ESI Sx 4
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, I don't know anyone here, nor do I know my own type for sure, but I'm sure I would want to crash this thread in the future.

𝒯𝒶𝓊𝓇𝓊𝓈 ☼ | 𝒞𝒶𝓅𝓇𝒾𝒸𝑜𝓇𝓃 ☾ | 𝒮𝒸𝑜𝓇𝓅𝒾𝑜 ↑
    ~ 𝒮𝓁𝓎𝓉𝒽𝑒𝓇𝒾𝓃 ~

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venus Rose View Post
    I could see SX in there, but I am not sure if its first or second in your stacking...pictures are not always good at representing these things. If you don't mind me asking, why are you questioning your stacking at the moment? Is there another one you feel like might fit you better?
    Thanks!

Well I'm considering the one in my TIM, sp/sx, sx/so, and sp/so...Sx/sp was always the one that immediately hit home, but like I said I'm questioning it rn. My facial expression looks most like sp/sx visual composites. I enjoy the 'exhibitionism' associated with sx/so, I've just learned to keep it more on the down low so I don't repell so many people, and also, so I don't attract the wrong guys who just want that...and, I read somewhere that sp/so feels driven to critique society, in favor of their own personal motivations, but now I can't find where I read that. At any rate, I relate to that concept.

I have some more boards that are (possibly) blatantly sx, lol but yeah they're pinned as secret

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pinterest board typing? I'll link mine in a little bit.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
    As long as he keeps Solcionics all to himself and people who are receptive towards his method, he could be typing people by the length of their toe nails for all I care

It's the fact that he is downright shoving his typology method peen down other, unwilling people's throats that's bothering me. And this leads to lowkey and highkey bullying on his part which is, again, rough handling and not nice at all. (Delilah being a prime example of this and apparently his favorite)

Hey! People might be more receptive to your ideas if you don't treat them as if they're not real outside your computer. Food for thought.
    Yes, unfortunately Sol has been on my case for some time now. I basically am limited on my forum activity because of his harassment - like any time i notice he starts re-typing of me (laced with many insults) i don't post or post less than I otherwise would.

I don't find it worthwhile responding to him as i can see from a mile where any interaction with him can go. I just ignore him for the most part.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yes, unfortunately Sol has been on my case for some time now. I basically am limited on my forum activity because of his harassment - like any time i notice he starts re-typing of me (laced with many insults) i don't post or post less than I otherwise would.

I don't find it worthwhile responding to him as i can see from a mile where any interaction with him can go. I just ignore him for the most part.
    I hope the moderators are taking note of this - I've experienced the same behavior.
    @mu4 @bionic midget

edit: sorry, thought bg was a moderator but it appears not?

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xaiviay View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for my Enneagram type (especially instict stacking) based off my pinterest? I'm questioning my instinctual variant, at the moment.

~joining the pinterest board typing craze!!!~
    Maybe 9?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I hope the moderators are taking note of this - I've experienced the same behavior.
    @mu4 @bionic midget

edit: sorry, thought bg was a moderator but it appears not?
    i gave it up when i deleted myself a few years ago.
    Last edited by bgbg; 11-29-2018 at 08:45 PM.

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My expression also comes across as sp-first, based on my pictures. I don't think that's a very good method to type people by. Video would be somewhat better, but basically you need to get to know the person.
    Yeah it's probably not the best typing method, I just thought it was worth noting. Thanks for your feedback.
    What draws you to the exhibitionism of the sx/so?
    Oh boy,
    Self expression, making others see me the way I feel inside. I feel very closely tied to my sexuality, so I feel restricted when I can't express it. But obviously, I get harassed when I do that. Also, it makes others very uncomfortable, so nowadays I've learned that it's disrespectful to act that way.

Do you feel like you could be SX-blind?
    Unlikely....but I might not know it if I were, since it's called a 'blind spot' for a reason. Also, the Sx insinct is very powerful by nature, I think, since it has to do with whatever gives you the most intense chemical rush. I'm not sure how it would feel to have it as a blind spot, since it's so powerful? Maybe even as a blind spot, it would be hard to ignore.

I wanted to hear other's impressions and give them some thought. Once again, thanks for your responses!

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

Sol is too emotionally invested in your type, which makes him being T type highly unlikely.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This forum is really increasing its entropy.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah it's probably not the best typing method, I just thought it was worth noting. Thanks for your feedback.

Oh boy,
    Self expression, making others see me the way I feel inside. I feel very closely tied to my sexuality, so I feel restricted when I can't express it. But obviously, I get harassed when I do that. Also, it makes others very uncomfortable, so nowadays I've learned that it's disrespectful to act that way.

Unlikely....but I might not know it if I were, since it's called a 'blind spot' for a reason. Also, the Sx insinct is very powerful by nature, I think, since it has to do with whatever gives you the most intense chemical rush. I'm not sure how it would feel to have it as a blind spot, since it's so powerful? Maybe even as a blind spot, it would be hard to ignore.

I wanted to hear other's impressions and give them some thought. Once again, thanks for your responses!
    I think what you said here doesn't sound social last. From what I understand social last as, it feels sort of like you have a sort of blindness to wider community, which makes you make social blunders whether you want to or not. So Sx/Sp being syn-flow would make the mistake and possibly feel guilty / shame about it if they recognise it, whereas Sp/Sx would give less of a fuck. The bit in your spoiler actually made me think so/sx (taking your sexuality --->> expressing it in society in a way that doesn't make others uncomfortable). And I think Sx/So has the same sort of "don't give a fuck" attitude to Sx as Sp/Sx and the difference is in their awareness of its affect on society so probably not that.

but to counter my own point, maybe that's just Fe making it look like So (as in, you are syn-flow Sx/Sp so don't want to rock the boat too much and have a heightened awareness of the community's reaction because of Fe and thus feel more guilt / anxiety about it than other Sx/Sp).

I also don't think you are sexual last so Sx/Sp or So/Sx imo.

I get the harassment thing too - it fucking blows
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Fe0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delilah is definitely Fi valuing

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrrrmaid View Post
    I think what you said here doesn't sound social last. From what I understand social last as, it feels sort of like you have a sort of blindness to wider community, which makes you make social blunders whether you want to or not. So Sx/Sp being syn-flow would make the mistake and possibly feel guilty / shame about it if they recognise it, whereas Sp/Sx would give less of a fuck. The bit in your spoiler actually made me think so/sx (taking your sexuality --->> expressing it in society in a way that doesn't make others uncomfortable). And I think Sx/So has the same sort of "don't give a fuck" attitude to Sx as Sp/Sx and the difference is in their awareness of its affect on society so probably not that.[/spoiler]
    Mrrrmaid <3 Thanks! That could be the case, I might not be social-last, then. But maybe I should explain some things about that...
    Up until about a year ago, I really didn't even see or care that I was making people so uncomfortable with my self-presentation, I didn't see what could be wrong with it. Lots of people harassed me, made fun of me, and even my friends complained...and it did sting, a little bit...but it didn't make me nearly as uncomfortable as censoring my self expression did, so I just kept "flaunting it", until I had my moral epiphany :

I still want to present that way...but I've stopped for moral and practical reasons. I've realized how negative of an affect it tends to have on others, so I think it's a jerky thing to do if you're aware of that but you still do it anyway - Sort of like not showering for weeks, and then sitting on a crowded subway and stinking up the place, and not caring how anyone else feels about it. lol.

Also, it really is hard to find a boyfriend who truly loves you for you, if you're shoving sexuality in his face 24/7. Like it's hard for them to even judge, their hormones just take control and they'll think they love you regardless (or they'll just lie, to get it). I want a good relationship. One day when I'm married, I can dress the way I'd really like to, around him at least, and I won't have to restrict myself quite as much.

But like I mentioned, I do have some discomfort around other people's responses to me...and it is hard to tell if it's Instinctual-based, or just a part of having Fe in the ego! Haha

Sx/Sp or So/Sx, hmm thank you I'll 'try on' the So/Sx typing for a while and see how it feels...it's possible.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    Sol is too emotionally invested in your type
    I'm "emotionally invested" in the truth and the typology.
    To type I take into account IR effects, the theory and my experience of watching people of different types.
    It's the main in the situation.

I relate similarly to others too. For example, Chae got my criticism about claiming as Fi type and then had brains enough to agree with me.
    Also Delilah's issues I notice good due to IR, she provoked by being inadequately rude, meanwhile being weird she claims to be my holy dual (semidual earlier) lol

-

To think me as F type is cute, anyway.
    Develop the basis. It's funny.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ can the mods pls. take note of the above. I have not addressed this member and have explicitly asked him (months ago) to not address me. Thanks

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mrrrmaid <3 Thanks! That could be the case, I might not be social-last, then. But maybe I should explain some things about that...
    Up until about a year ago, I really didn't even see or care that I was making people so uncomfortable with my self-presentation, I didn't see what could be wrong with it. Lots of people harassed me, made fun of me, and even my friends complained...and it did sting, a little bit...but it didn't make me nearly as uncomfortable as censoring my self expression did, so I just kept "flaunting it", until I had my moral epiphany :

I still want to present that way...but I've stopped for moral and practical reasons. I've realized how negative of an affect it tends to have on others, so I think it's a jerky thing to do if you're aware of that but you still do it anyway - Sort of like not showering for weeks, and then sitting on a crowded subway and stinking up the place, and not caring how anyone else feels about it. lol.

Also, it really is hard to find a boyfriend who truly loves you for you, if you're shoving sexuality in his face 24/7. Like it's hard for them to even judge, their hormones just take control and they'll think they love you regardless (or they'll just lie, to get it). I want a good relationship. One day when I'm married, I can dress the way I'd really like to, around him at least, and I won't have to restrict myself quite as much.

But like I mentioned, I do have some discomfort around other people's responses to me...and it is hard to tell if it's Instinctual-based, or just a part of having Fe in the ego! Haha

Sx/Sp or So/Sx, hmm thank you I'll 'try on' the So/Sx typing for a while and see how it feels...it's possible.
    hahah okay wait this sounds more like Sx/Sp with Fe maybe

my official vote is not sx last either way
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think I may relate to what you are trying to say. Do you mind going into more detail? Only as much as you are comfortable with.
    Okie dokie, I tried not to make it TMI, but it is kinda NSFW:
    I like dressing in overtly sexual clothes, designing them according to my taste in aesthetics, making them, and wearing them. It makes me feel more alive, invigorated, motivated, and happy. I care more about having a good sex life with the right partner, than anything else, it's never far from my mind, so it's most natural to dress in accordance.

I'd probably really enjoy having sex in front of a crowd, the idea actually feels energizing. Or 'performing' in front of a crowd like a Burlesque dancer or something! Designing the clothes and dance according to my tastes. It'd feel good to know my self expression had a powerful impact on other people...

I guess maybe I'm overly fixated on sex Aha! Regardless of where Sx is in my instinctual stack...

Edit: @Venus Rose go ahead and read my last reply to mrrrmaid too, if you want, it has more
    Well, this is how they explain the SX-last: http://www.theenneagramuniverse.com/...stackings.html

(It's the first one).
    Oh, good descriptions! Well...I really don't relate to that at all... So, I guess sp/so is going out the window, at least.

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Xaviay this is just based on superficial impressions, so I may be wrong, but how do you feel about SX in the secondary position (So/Sx)? You seem to approach it in a much more playful and not so neurotic, way. And your concerns about seem to be in the social realm.
    Well thank you! I feel pretty neurotic about it lol, but I don't wanna go into any more detail. You and @mrrrmaid got me considering So/Sx though, thanks I'll think about it for a while

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    This forum is really increasing its entropy.
    Perhaps one day it will live.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I just joined Pinterest. Seems really neat. Good way to collect and discover art. Here's mine.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SLE.Wait...Shit, EII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's my type ?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noaydi View Post
    what's my type ?
    make a video
    this may help you to overcome traumas after wrong typings

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The example of opposing with Fe type (SEI, most probably) from base Te.

@Delilah
    > I'm being harassed by Sol. (post)

You are lieing again. What should be natural for you. And is the most expected among your Fe type which tend to spit on the objective reality.

I generally and in the last message to you acted in the border of rules as criticized your concrete behavior and opinions. I relate to you in the borders of justice and reason, unlike you who act stupidly and morally inadequately.
    I answered you there by the forum's theme and in the context of the discussion. It's you who started negatively to discuss me outside of the theme there, and on your lie I've replied appropriately.

It's you who 1st made direct personal insult against me, what was against the forum rules. In this aspect I then relate to you in not worse degree. You did unmotivated the personal harassment against me and then got what you deserved, not more. And now you are whining about what you do yourself to others or more correctly to say - about the lesser, as direct insulting which is common for you and your Fe types is often redundant.

P.S.
    I saw not a single time when F types dislike logical critique, act morally inadequately, in return get the appropriate and similar style and then whine about this representing themselves as innocent victims. Common F types manipulations + the rejecting to think logically instead of emotional reactions where that would be more correct. Types with different T-F values get this with more probability.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    The example of opposing with Fe type (SEI, most probably) from base Te.

@Delilah
    > I'm being harassed by Sol. (post)

You are lieing again. What should be natural for you. And is the most expected among your Fe type which tend to spit on the objective reality.

I generally and in the last message to you acted in the border of rules as criticized your concrete behavior and opinions. I relate to you in the borders of justice and reason, unlike you who act stupidly and morally inadequately.
    I answered you there by the forum's theme and in the context of the discussion. It's you who started negatively to discuss me outside of the theme there, and on your lie I've replied appropriately.

It's you who 1st made direct personal insult against me, what was against the forum rules. In this aspect I then relate to you in not worse degree. You did unmotivated the personal harassment against me and then got what you deserved, not more. And now you are whining about what you do yourself to others or more correctly to say - about the lesser, as direct insulting which is common for you and your Fe types is often redundant.

P.S.
    I saw not a single time when F types dislike logical critique, act morally inadequately, in return get the appropriate and similar style and then whine about this representing themselves as innocent victims. Common F types manipulations + the rejecting to think logically instead of emotional reactions where that would be more correct. Types with different T-F values get this with more probability.
    Sol, you take your rudeness way too far. Just because someone is a type doesn't mean they don't use all other functions. You should know this. Now settle down and leave Delilah alone. She can type herself however she wants. It's a free world.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    She can type herself however she wants. It's a free world.
    Not if Socionics is supposed to be this super objective thing.

I think Sol is partly right in that he has the right to speak "objectively" of matters that are supposed to be objective. To not able to discuss it may indeed be censorship. We are objectively discussing the "subjects" that are actual people, which the matter of discussing it being ethical or not is another discussion that's besides the point.

The problem is, where is the objectivity in this? How are we supposed to decide what is objective or not? How do we escape from the fact that the "researchers" like Sol himself aren't biased by his own psychology, his own emotions, his own expectations, his own biases?

This problem can be solved if we assume that human beings are capable of rational thought, and therefore we can arrive at objectivity via rational arguments. The only way to know whether something is objective or not, is through rational arguments. We make the best case for deciding when something is objective, and when something is not.

The entire problem, then, is that the entire argument of what makes something objective or not, is missing. Without rational arguments, they're arbitrary subjective opinions.

So how do we know when something is objective? That can be only created by rational arguments.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Fe0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop all this arguing and validate me

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblades View Post
    Your presence in chatbox has seemed perfectly consistent with iei to me.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

solololol

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@vesstheastralsilky
    In that message you've said that do not want to hear opinions of others about types of people near you. So you do not seek the truth about their types. While you are on the typology forum and lie to yourself that has an interest in the truth about types. If you lie even to yourself, then it's doubtful your opinions are meaningful for others.

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    @vesstheastralsilky
    In that message you've said that do not want to hear opinions of others about types of people near you. So you do not seek the truth about their types. While you are on the typology forum and lie to yourself that has an interest in the truth about types. If you lie even to yourself, then it's doubtful your opinions are meaningful for others.
    I don't know how you started on this creative "lying" kick but you can stop taking your issues out on other forum members. Of course I am serious about the truth of types. Why else would I be here?

Please don't fight with me Sol.
    Last edited by vesstheastralsilky; 12-04-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

Sir that's my emotional support gremlin ApeironStella's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-Ne 5w4 594 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vesstheastralsilky View Post
    I don't know how you started on this creative "lying" kick but you can stop taking your issues out on other forum members. Of course I am serious about the truth of types. Why else would I be here?
    Just imagine that you are talking to some cult preacher about One True Way To Type with all the shady robes and everything while reading his posts, as that's honestly how he comes off to me. That's the level to take him seriously, though that whole "you sinners who does not know The Way" thing honestly is something to get under check, including the name calling.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To me respecting someone’s wishes is the bottom line. You do not drag it out (whatever conflict or conversation you are having) if the other person clearly doesn’t wish to be a part of it. Specially when it comes to types and self-types, you do not disrespectfully keep publicly typing them, insulting their wishes and not giving basic respect to them as a human being. I have seen it happen more than I would like.
    Yea god forbid to get typed in a "your typing of forum members" thread on a socionics forum.

We should all ban Sol for using socionics

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do we claim a theory to be objective? According to the Cambridge dictionary, something that is objective is "based on real facts and not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings". Then the question becomes, what is a fact? Consulting the same dictionary once again, we have that a fact is something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information. Proof of a statement can come from two places: a logical argument built upon firm axioms or empirical, reproducible testing that controls for alternative possibilities. Socionics does neither of these. Firstly, there are multiple bases - model A, model G, Reinin, etc. Secondly, the means of typing is not settled - should we type via IR, IE, VI, high level descriptions, profiles...? Thirdly, the theory is not derived from an empirical model of facts but rather the theory itself is constructed from (inconsistent) principles, meaning that any empirical evidence in support of it would be as good as confirmation bias. Fourthly, any rigour being developed in the theory would be futile since the theory is already so detailed; hence, should we try to create a logically consistent model, we would have to break a number of the systems already put in place such as the subtype system or the descriptions of the functions, not that these are firm to begin with. Fifthly, a theory is only as useful as the people who use it. Thus, even if the model were completely logically consistent, there would still be an interpretation of the system for each person who used it, rendering the system useless for precise modelling.

Because of all this, the only use that socionics has is as a database of patterns and trends that people have observed. They are high-level enough to where general archetypes of thought categorization exist but also not so general so as to be personally useless in developing skills you are not good at. Fighting about who is what type is pointless since each person has an interpretation of the system anyway. And unless it strays so radically far from the norm, no one can say it's incorrect since the foundation is shaky nevertheless. I would like to say that there is a "correct" way of viewing the system, but I can't. What I can say, however, is that if we can all come to a consensus with our different interpretations, then we all gain something both in socionics and in personal understanding of other people. That's the only useful thing about socionics.

That's just my two cents. Feel free to disagree.
    Last edited by FarDraft; 12-05-2018 at 05:04 AM.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FarDraft View Post
    How do we claim a theory to be objective? According to the Cambridge dictionary, something that is objective is "based on real facts and not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings". Then the question becomes, what is a fact? Consulting the same dictionary once again, we have that a fact is something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information. Proof of a statement can come from two places: a logical argument built upon firm axioms or empirical, reproducible testing that controls for alternative possibilities. Socionics does neither of these. Firstly, there are multiple bases - model A, model G, Reinin, etc. Secondly, the means of typing is not settled - should we type via IR, IE, VI, high level descriptions, profiles...? Thirdly, the theory is not derived from an empirical model of facts but rather the theory itself is constructed from (inconsistent) principles, meaning that any empirical evidence in support of it would be as good as confirmation bias. Fourthly, any rigour being developed in the theory would be futile since the theory is already so detailed; hence, should we try to create a logically consistent model, we would have to break a number of the systems already put in place such as the subtype system or the descriptions of the functions, not that these are firm to begin with. Fifthly, a theory is only as useful as the people who use it. Thus, even if the model were completely logically consistent, there would still be an interpretation of the system for each person who used it, rendering the system useless for precise modelling.

Because of all this, the only use that socionics has is as a database of patterns and trends that people have observed. They are high-level enough to where general archetypes of thought categorization exist but also not so general so as to be personally useless in developing skills you are not good at. Fighting about who is what type is pointless since each person has an interpretation of the system anyway. And unless it strays so radically far from the norm, no one can say it's incorrect since the foundation is shaky nevertheless. I would like to say that there is a "correct" way of viewing the system, but I can't. What I can say, however, is that if we can all come to a consensus with our different interpretations, then we all gain something both in socionics and in personal understanding of other people. That's the only useful thing about socionics.

That's just my two cents. Feel free to disagree.
    The phenomenon of types creates so much redundancy that it is possible to learn to see the types, functions etc. There are inner, psychological objects, that are not just a matter of opinion. But it takes time and yes it is challenging.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblades View Post
    Kate Bush/10, my love for you has skyrocketed thanks to that profile picture.

Stop all this arguing and validate me x2
    “I want the following word: splendor, splendor is fruit in all its succulence, fruit without sadness. I want vast distances. My savage intuition of myself.”
    Clarice Lispector

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Fe0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
    Kate Bush/10, my love for you has skyrocketed thanks to that profile picture.

Stop all this arguing and validate me x2
    Yeah shes amazing and I think you're IEI too! Maybe EIE...

TIM
    INTp 5
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    The phenomenon of types creates so much redundancy that it is possible to learn to see the types, functions etc. There are inner, psychological objects, that are not just a matter of opinion. But it takes time and yes it is challenging.
    First, the very fact that there is so much redundancy would lead to the system being inconsistent since the redundant material is established theory. Hence, to cut through it would be to deny aspects of the theory that are already created while simultaneously keeping some aspects based on what you "feel" is correct. Second, even if there are inner psychological objects, who says that they can be modelled by socionics? I won't disagree that it takes and and is challenging to understand people and how they function, but to use that as a justification for an inconsistent theory is equivalent to justifying all of a god's actions because they're "mysterious" and "difficult to understand". If even those who are experts can't agree with established theories, then the theory isn't challenging, it's wrong. Patterns and trends are all that can remain.
    ----- FarDraft, 2020

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FarDraft View Post
    First, the very fact that there is so much redundancy would lead to the system being inconsistent since the redundant material is established theory. Hence, to cut through it would be to deny aspects of the theory that are already created while simultaneously keeping some aspects based on what you "feel" is correct. Second, even if there are inner psychological objects, who says that they can be modelled by socionics? I won't disagree that it takes and and is challenging to understand people and how they function, but to use that as a justification for an inconsistent theory is equivalent to justifying all of a god's actions because they're "mysterious" and "difficult to understand". If even those who are experts can't agree with established theories, then the theory isn't challenging, it's wrong. Patterns and trends are all that can remain.
    Well I simply meant that things can be checked in many ways. When you learn socionics you might have problems typing yourself by functions alone, but you can also check it by the relationships. You can also check things by how you react to certain functions. It really is a matter of observing this for some years and working and dating alot to really expose yourself to it.

No-one says that inner psychological things can be modelled by socionics. It is simply a fact that can be checked.

We rely on psychological observation all the time in everyday life. Some people are better at this than others. If the psyche has regular cognitive patterns that form types, it would make sense that these were discovered at some point by observant people. And what then? Reject it, because it can't be tested in laboratory, or look for yourself and try to see it.

If you only had Jung, then I could agree on the skepticism, but socionics really gives you ways to test this.

(Jung on Si)