Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your IQ?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried dozens of IQ tests and literally hundreds of 'IQ-like' puzzles. I have also studied the concept thoroughly. Therefore, what do IQ tests really measure? Mainly, they are simple tests of deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning and general knowledge across a number of domains. What then is missing?

From the tests I have taken, the following are usually missing:

Short-term memory: you have just studied a chapter of calculus. Do you: 1) have to look back at the chapter to remember the formulae, or 2) is that information stored in memory and at your fingertips? If 2) is true, you have an advantage over the people who answered 'yes' to 1). Yet this is missing from most tests.

Concentration: when you work at a task: do you laser-in on the task and focus for hours or does your attention drift? If you can laser-in, you have a big advantage intellectually over those who cannot.

Working memory: child prodigies at mathematics, chess, and music often have high levels of this. When you are doing a math problem, can you hold seven bits of information in your mind at once or eleven? The more information you can hold in your mind, the better you can solve the problem. A professional mathematician or chess player could probably think dozens of 'moves' ahead. However, this is sometimes missing from IQ tests.

Creativity: Can you look at a problem in new and unexpected ways? Can you generate dozens of ideas? Again, this is often missing.

Anyway, like I said, IQ tests are just generally tests of inductive reasoning, deductive reasoning, and general knowledge. Do not look at them as fatally flawed but as imperfect. Nonetheless, there is much empirical support for the professional ones that are developed and normed properly. Please keep all of this in mind...
    Last edited by jason_m; 09-22-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    LIE-Ni VLEF
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 inches

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least 9000 probably

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Retiree; 10-14-2019 at 09:27 PM.

TIM
    7w8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85. Almost perfect score (out of 100).

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 sd below the mean, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Did anybody read what I wrote? Everybody just gave a score like I was asking for your IQ...
    The title is literally “What is your IQ?”. The first post was edited and doesn’t really say anything. Are you op?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    The title is literally “What is your IQ?”. The first post was edited and doesn’t really say anything. Are you op?
    Whoops... I confused my post at the top of the page with me creating the thread... You were right. My mistake... ('Why did I name it that?" ran through my head. That explains that.)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Whoops... I confused my post at the top of the page with me creating the thread... You were right. My mistake... ('Why did I name it that?" ran through my head. That explains that.)
    Happens to the best of us lol

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'm so blazing and catastrophe ornamented with dressing on the E=mc2 pocket monster of ultra high unlimited Mewtwo IQ!!*
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got tested once in Middle school which I scored 120. Although I generally think there are other factors such as hardwork(or what I prefer efficiently working) and responsibility that are more important than IQ when it comes to success.
    Last edited by Zyan; 05-11-2021 at 09:07 PM.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m probably dumb. whatever. If I take an IQ test and do bad, I’ll feel bad about myself. If I do good, I’ll think it was just a scam

anyway, people are good at different things. Different forms of intelligence and all that. That’s what I tell myself when I do bad on these things
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEE 8w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I’m probably dumb. whatever. If I take an IQ test and do bad, I’ll feel bad about myself. If I do good, I’ll think it was just a scam

anyway, people are good at different things. Different forms of intelligence and all that. That’s what I tell myself when I do bad on these things
    Yeah IQ doesn't mean much unless you're in the extremes honestly. Many other factors that play into who you are and how well you can utilize your life.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I only know what my parents told me about the IQ test I took as a really little kid, which is a high number but both of them are highly prone to exaggeration and I'm certain my IQ is lower than it was when I was a kid. My estimation of my own intelligence is probably slightly above average. I saw my brothers official result of 140 and he's a little quicker than I am but we communicate easily.
    i must have posted this before i was tested to see if i was capable of returning to work after the car accident. my dr. required it before sending the permission slip to my boss. i have no compunction about saying thats its almost certainly decreased because i don't attach an important emotional value to it. i will not report the number but i will say that it is very average, a little on the higher side of that, but not significantly. or at least it was over a year ago. my brain has done a little healing since then, but not in the double digit iq range lol.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem like there are a lot of really smart people on this site! When I’m trying to convince people of the usefulness and validity of socionics I say to them..but everyone’s so smart on the forum lol. Although sometimes I do feel like the forum could do with some more average person outlooks? (Not that I like to refer to any human as average tbh). Some more every day wisdom..wish I could be that person but my wisdom is not all that either Wisdom is something I would like to develop in myself..anyone can develop wisdom I guess.

I definitely used to be smarter before I developed mental health problems aged 16 and my life quality vastly reduced for next 15 years. I wasn’t exceptionally smart or anything but I got some of the best grades out of the kids in quite a decent school at age 16. (A good state school, in the UK that means a non-fee paying, normal
    school). Definitely not smart now, although like everyone I have my rare moments I suppose. I think a few things could help me re-wire my brain a little and make me feel smarter. I need a more challenging and appropriate job role, I need a partner who I can be myself around and who brings out my interesting side. I need to read a wide variety of non-fiction texts. Also, I joined a writing group recently..it’s very casual but it feels very right
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 05-12-2021 at 06:08 AM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    It does seem like there are a lot of really smart people on this site! When I’m trying to convince people of the usefulness and validity of socionics I say to them..but everyone’s so smart on the forum lol. Although sometimes I do feel like the forum could do with some more average person outlooks? (Not that I like to refer to any human as average tbh). Some more every day wisdom..wish I could be that person but my wisdom is not all that either Wisdom is something I would like to develop in myself..anyone can develop wisdom I guess.

I definitely used to be smarter before I developed mental health problems aged 16 and my life quality vastly reduced for next 15 years. I wasn’t exceptionally smart or anything but I got some of the best grades out of the kids in quite a decent school at age 16. (A good state school, in the UK that means a non-fee paying, normal
    school). Definitely not smart now, although like everyone I have my rare moments I suppose. I think a few things could help me re-wire my brain a little and make me feel smarter. I need a more challenging and appropriate job role, I need a partner who I can be myself around and who brings out my interesting side. I need to read a wide variety of non-fiction texts. Also, I joined a writing group recently..it’s very casual but it feels very right
    One of the realizations I've come to develop about life is that virtually everyone is fairly stupid; the brightest among us are people who manage competence in one or two areas.

I'm curious; can you describe why the outlooks here don't seem "everyday" or relevant to the "average person?" The only difference I really see is that people here are a little more thoughtful than the average, and so their takes are just a little more well-structured and elaborated while the average person doesn't even have a very coherent outlook to begin with.

Why do you think a partner would help you?

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@FreelancePoliceman Hmm well I might be wrong. I do really like this place- people are open and thoughtful and kind. I’m sure there have been many pearls of wisdom that I’ve learnt from.
    Maybe I am expecting too much. It might just be the internet forum nature of the place- people holding back a bit and also using the space to work through their thoughts. I feel like in real life I might give slightly better advice to people? Maybe not however lol. Not that I necessarily give advice on here.

Also I worry that typology can make people a bit depressed. People can get too in their heads and forget about the real world. It’s why the random thought thread is so popular- there’s quite a natural feel to that thread although the balance of the other more structured threads is good too lol.

Eventually, I want to tell some of my ‘sensible’ friends or colleagues about typology and see what they think. I just think that it’s important to keep one foot in the real world and listen to those more general voices..if that makes sense.

A partner?

Well, I miss having someone I can have long rambly conversations with (I’ve had this with ‘best’ friends in the past who I clearly had some sort of good communication with, even if they couldn’t help me with problems because of bad ITR.) The thing I miss is being listened to and feeling understood- on a literal level. A free-flowing conversation. I think with a good partner there will be an element of that, not too much but not too little. Stimulating conversation which opens up pathways in your brain and also gives you a release because you feel in sync with another mind, which I think validates your sense of self because someone else is following the patterns of your thoughts.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whenever someone says someone is really smart I wonder just why they think they are smart. Because I seriously think that almost always, maybe always, when people excel at one thing, they are usually not as smart in another. Socionics kind of gets at this, too. so really I think the question is what are you smart at and what are you dumb at? Usually when people claim others are smart it’s because they agree with them or are smarter/more knowledgeable in something they want to be smarter in. so what I’m saying is I think everyone is smart and dumb in their own way
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    One of the realizations I've come to develop about life is that virtually everyone is fairly stupid; the brightest among us are people who manage competence in one or two areas.
    Sorry for wandering off, but this made me curious cus I hear this sentiment a lot, u know, that people are stupid. And I can't say whether I agree or not because I don't know what standard I'm holding or to what I'm comparing them to. Myself? ;P the media-instilled average person? My idea about how smart a typical person should be? What do u use?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a number, but I forgot which one.

I read about how IQ is unstable, there are exterior factors that can change it: stressful stuff, injuries, or hard work.
    I also don't really like the ego boost some people get from IQ, like "look at my high number" and it's sad when it's such a huge part of their self-esteem. What if they lose it? What about when the number means nothing?

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 was the highest score I've got
    iq.jpg
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go back in time to an ooooold reference and say schfifty-five.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So high that I can travel in time. *This is a message from the past*
    Look at the time it was posted if you don't believe me.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 06-09-2023 at 10:18 PM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schfourteen-teen

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 apparently when I was tested back in middle school. But now I am a frog, so who knows.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think, at some point, I allowed myself to be socially pressured into saying IQ doesn't matter. Recently, I'm switching to the stance that it does, because "it doesn't matter" is contradictory to what the science says. I think the truth is that people don't deal well with this idea that it's valid simply because it's associated with inequality and all sorts of things in both ends of the spectrum. If it's high, you're arrogant; if it's low, well...nobody wants a low IQ, and the most flawed reason behind that is the fact that IQ is something people build their sense of self-worth on. IQ doesn't determine a person's value, but it does determine a number of things in life. I'm lucky to have an IQ of 150, and I'm grateful to have that going for me. I'm not going to let society silence me or influence me to hide that because they label me based on something I was born with.

TIM
    ILI-Ni-H 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably don't have a high IQ, but people do seem weird. I know someone who just laughs at everyone around him all the time, and I was trying to see from his perspective, and he was laughing at people that sound weird. Like a guy walks by and said, "...and I'm just tired of getting punched in the face." and then this guy laughs at him. Another woman is like, "try some of my chicken nuggets!" and then he laughs again. Like I assume, his world view is like seeing a world full of people that belong in an insane asylum. Then you start to see it that way too, and it is kinda funny. You start to laugh with him. I can't laugh for long though. Like I still have more hope in other people, but maybe everybody's crazy?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I guess I'm rather touchy about my IQ, at least in the sense I'm far more reluctant to discuss it with a wider audience than say aspects of my personality.

I'd rather someone think I have a higher IQ than I actual have, than have them think I have a lower IQ than I actual have, or even have an accurate representation of what it is. It's not a number I find appealing to talk about. But if I genuinely think it's better to earn the appearance of a high IQ than it is to have a high IQ then I shouldn't have a personal problem with revealing what it actual is!

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My IQ is blah blah blah

I doubt the accuracy of those IQ tests. According to those tests I'm supposed to be of above average in terms of IQ, but I once had a boss who told me before that I had intellectual disability.

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby13357 View Post
    My IQ is blah blah blah

I doubt the accuracy of those IQ tests. According to those tests I'm supposed to be of above average in terms of IQ, but I once had a boss who told me before that I had intellectual disability.
    That reflects something other than your IQ, then. Could be a number of things. I find it a bit odd to believe your boss over an IQ test. Having a high IQ and presenting as someone with a high IQ aren't the same things.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Maverick View Post
    I think, at some point, I allowed myself to be socially pressured into saying IQ doesn't matter. Recently, I'm switching to the stance that it does, because "it doesn't matter" is contradictory to what the science says. I think the truth is that people don't deal well with this idea that it's valid simply because it's associated with inequality and all sorts of things in both ends of the spectrum. If it's high, you're arrogant; if it's low, well...nobody wants a low IQ, and the most flawed reason behind that is the fact that IQ is something people build their sense of self-worth on. IQ doesn't determine a person's value, but it does determine a number of things in life. I'm lucky to have an IQ of 150, and I'm grateful to have that going for me. I'm not going to let society silence me or influence me to hide that because they label me based on something I was born with.
    One of my problems with IQ: Are you sure it's inborn? I don't think IQ matters and I don't think IQ matters as someone who might have the highest IQ of anyone here, though I don't like discussing it in relation to myself because it's as my parents said, basically a dick-waving contest. Feynman became a genius physicist with an IQ of merely 120, and Mensa idiots are just jerking each other off with their IQs. I wonder who I'd rather hang out with?

Additionally, I think it's frequently incorrectly measured. I've had mine measured, like most people, when I was very young, and while mine is astronomically high, so what? The idea IQ should be measured relative to age groups seems extremely silly to me, like if we said someone was 6 feet tall if they were the average height for their age. Additionally, even trying to make it a normal distribution seems very dubious to me. When you look at wealthy people, there are many fewer super-rich people than dirt poor people, but the super-rich people are so much richer compared to the mode (most common) person than the poor people are poor, so the average wealth anyone has is much higher than the mode wealth. The same is also true for height, there are more short people than tall people, and the tall people raise the average height well above the modal height.

Wealth and height are things that develop over time, which brings me to why I think measuring IQ as if it were a static number is highly dubious: babies are as dumb as a bag of rocks. If we measured IQs based on averages, we would have to give literal babies 100 IQs for literally drooling on the test. It's absurd we measure people's intelligence based on the average intelligence at their age rather than their objective ability to solve problems.

Additionally, I see no evidence whatsoever that people's ability to solve problems is static throughout their lives. People can study for tests. There is probably some kind of innate factor. Not everyone becomes a musician, an athlete, or an actor/actress, so there's not really a reason everyone would necessarily be brilliant at intellectual tasks no matter how much effort they put in, either. However, I really doubt that testing someone once when they're five compared to other five-year-olds is a remotely good measure of ultimate attainment, and I say this as someone who did well on that test, because other people who have done well on that test basically just let the flattery get to their heads and stopped trying to achieve anything at all, and that really grosses me out.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black & white is a shallow divide, division is the color that multiplies

Taking things at face value is good only for a spell

To experience is simple, to explain is divine

Hearts of stone are a dead giveaway: no movement

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Ni-H 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhatYeahOK View Post
    "Sidis was a feral child; a true man born into a world filled with animals–a world filled with us." lol

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fractals View Post
    "Sidis was a feral child; a true man born into a world filled with animals–a world filled with us." lol
    Oh yeah. It's a bit hyped with 2 to 300, no way to determine that, like C. Langan, but he certainly had an unusual brain. He was on the spectrum i believe because his anxiety in the class teaching if i recall. It was perspective taking and he couldn't roll with it.

I joined that society i mentioned here, not this one, because i wanted to see behind that wall. I was curious to see what they all thought about. What i learned is that the motives to join was because they thought they are different in thought, and wanted to discuss problems around it growing up and in the classroom in school.

I had maybe 100 posts and left. Lost interest. 2008 circa.

Serendipity never killed a cat, it gives 9 lives is my motto.

Black & white is a shallow divide, division is the color that multiplies

Taking things at face value is good only for a spell

To experience is simple, to explain is divine

Hearts of stone are a dead giveaway: no movement

TIM
    ILI-Ni-H 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhatYeahOK View Post
    Oh yeah. It's a bit hyped with 2 to 300, no way to determine that, like C. Langan, but he certainly had an unusual brain. He was on the spectrum i believe because his anxiety in the class teaching if i recall. It was perspective taking and he couldn't roll with it.

I joined that society i mentioned here, not this one, because i wanted to see behind that wall. I was curious to see what they all thought about. What i learned is that the motives to join was because they thought they are different in thought, and wanted to discuss problems around it growing up and in the classroom in school.

I had maybe 100 posts and left. Lost interest. 2008 circa.

Serendipity never killed a cat, it gives 9 lives is my motto.
    The people here on the forum make me wonder if I'm on the spectrum too.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast