TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to manage time for Ne, while dealing with practical stuf

Suggestions / experiences?

Covey's 7 Habits come to mind, and I think that is really what it's about. I'm setting up my day so that I get all my work done, with time at the end of the day to let Ne wander and stuff.

wake up at 7:30
    classes (basically) from 8
    schoolwork/study and classes 8-6pm

So I have about 6 hrs of free time every day. I like having a good lunch. so I might push it back to 7 pm and take a whole hour off for lunch, but that is relative and contingent I suppose.

But I think 8-6, or that general nature is pretty good, eh?
    That's kind of like real life, having a job, right? (the hours)

I am curious to see of others need more frequent breaks, or if it is better to just get everything out of the way first. I would really, really, really like to have all my work done for the day by 6-8pm, because that way the last 4 or so hours of the day could be completely to myself -- and "my time" ( ) is very important. I need to balance school (obviously) with free time. Not free as in, I get to have fun, but free as in "I get to think about what I want to think about", or my various other projects.

I'm also trying to find a major that "is" what I want to be thinking about, but I'm not sure yet. .. or, if, really, I just am approaching my own studies inapprorpiately. As in, the major isn't the problem, but my approach is.

Any thoughts, experiences, comments, are welcome
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually when I have a list of to-do things I get them out of the way first so that I can have that free time uninterrupted without worrying that I still need to get this or that done.
    I try to limit my break time when I'm trying to get things done. I'm afraid if I stop, even for a break, I'll get distracted and won't start again.
    For some reason, time seems to just slip between my fingers and it feels like its gone before it even got here.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have about 1/2 hour of free time everyday.

Yesterday:

Got up at 7, got the kids up, showered. Made the kids breakfast, got the younger one on the bus.

Drove to work, worked all day and during lunch went to Target to look for a new window blind since the cat broke the old one. Went back to work and went to a bunch of meetings then saw a client at the end of the day.

Drove back to home territory. Picked up the younger kid from her program, drove to the other program, picked up the older one from that one.

Got home. Plugged the kids into a movie while I cut our grass and my elderly neighbor's grass.

Made dinner, ate dinner, cleaned up after dinner. Supervised older child making lunch for next day.

Took the kids to the Library and re-upped our books and videos.

Came home, made and ate dessert.

Gave the kids a bath and read stories to each of them and put them to bed.

Paid the bills.

Now it is 10 pm. I got on line for about 10 minutes, then read a book until I turned off the light at 15 minutes to 11.

This is my world. My Ne now brainstorms logistics all day long . . .

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, props for being a full time mom, Blaze.

A labor of love indeed.

Usually when I have a list of to-do things I get them out of the way first so that I can have that free time uninterrupted without worrying that I still need to get this or that done.
    I try to limit my break time when I'm trying to get things done. I'm afraid if I stop, even for a break, I'll get distracted and won't start again.
    For some reason, time seems to just slip between my fingers and it feels like its gone before it even got here.

Yeah, same here
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not found a way to make time for and practical things When I go into -land I like to really let go and delve in for weeks. Oftentimes it is hard to remember the way back to sanity. No paranoid android for peddy

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    I have not found a way to make time for and practical things When I go into -land I like to really let go and delve in for weeks. Oftentimes it is hard to remember the way back to sanity. No paranoid android for peddy

i am really bad at taking care of myself. For making time, I normally just accept tasks and ask a lot of frenzied questions about specifics, and then i perform them agitatedly, so that I can go back to thinking.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion

i am really bad at taking care of myself. For making time, I normally just accept tasks and ask a lot of frenzied questions about specifics, and then i perform them agitatedly, so that I can go back to thinking.
    i always thought intj's want to be healthy!

a secret i've learned: only do the things you have to do not the things you think it would be good to do.

as in: you should really clean your house once a week right? i only clean every 2 weeks. hell you only live once.

at work, figure out what's important to them and do that. do what's important to you but only if it's strategic for your goals. don't sweat the small stuff at work.

with kids, don't go too crazy with activities. mine each get one plus church. it's too expensive and too time consuming to do more than that. some people's kids have 3 or 4 and they spend all their time driving them around.

make simple meals and save the really great ones for the weekend or when someone comes over. you don't have to go crazy during the week.

this is my recipe for making time for Ne.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze8
    with kids, don't go too crazy with activities.
    Agreed. My parents couldn't afford to sign me up for a bunch of activities. So I got to choose one, and the rest of the time I got to have unstructured free time which I loved. Sometimes kids just need time to play instead of violin practice, followed by soccer, followed on and on and on.

Also, we worry about our health and want to be healthy because our health or bodies are not in the forefront of our minds. If we don't keep some sort of focus on it, then we’ll forget about it.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze8
    you should really clean your house once a week right? i only clean every 2 weeks.

usually my first chance to clean is right before i move out of some place so that i don't get charged for damages.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weights spread about the floor humerously reminds me of myself. I used to be that way, but I've gotten a little better