Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grooming and type

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grooming and type

Last edited by Iwantpeace; 09-07-2020 at 02:40 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I brush my teeth. Is that grooming?
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default one day I will have a massage chair in the Lexus

Can't stand it. Love aftereffects of grooming.

Shower for half an hour or more, want to feel my muscles and bones and insides heated from the water. If USA city water had no fluoride, I'd still be drinking it hot from the shower. Radio comes with me in the bathroom. Plastic USB shaver hacks off the long beard hair while I shower, and I get the stubble off with AA batt powered Braun after shower. Once every four/five days re: shave.

Started running cheapo hair wax through hair to keep the crap out of my eyes -- works, yesterday I looked like lumberjack-style brown hair David Lynch and it ruled. Deodorant for me, not antiperspirant. Brut (cylinder, not the flat bastard) and musk Speed Stick are cheap and proper imo. Yatagan (cologne) works, Amouage Opus VII's a godsend, and Al Rehab's Dakar rules. 50 Cent's Power = good when I don't wanna be green and woodsy.

Always crap before shower. Use loofah -- smearing soap on my body sucks, and washcloths are never totally right. Most soaps and shampoos are cool except V05 (burns and itches) and Pantene (hair destroyer).

Tom's toothpaste and mouthwash whenever possible, medium to firm toothbrush. Occasionally a big swish/drink of gin after brushing teeth -- explosive flavor! Nothing too sugary or simple carby before sleep -- wake up with toilet mouth that way.

If my body hair's a damned jungle, I'll hit everything with a hair trimmer with a 1 guard, or a 2 guard. No arms or legs.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Time: Can't estimate, I'm bad at that. Showering and dressing soundly, that is all. I don't use toxic ass make-up, nail polish (even more chemicals), or shave since it harms the skin and is unhygienic contrary to what advertisements wanna make you think. What I focus on is taking care of my curly hair in 5 mins. I regularly get it cut so it's healthy. Other grooming or maintenance: cutting fingernails short. But the pluck this, dye that, slather this on,... is not my style anymore. Natural as it is supposed to be & unmanipulated so the maintenance is brought to a minimum for myself. I like keeping it real easy nowadays and find it enjoyable. More time for other things.

Is it relaxing: Hm... taking an occasional bath is. I do appreciate the recreative effect. Getting a nice massage is also awesome but that doesn't count as grooming

Hassle: It has very little value to me compared to career for instance, which is my priority. It used to be of value but I abandoned it. Am busy elsewhere. If I get an opportunity where I'm invited to relax I won't say no though, just not for the purpose of grooming myself into whatever. It's unnecessarily expensive, too. So my value is to spend something for proper clothing rarely at most but not more, my bank account loves me for it. #Chaemoney

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

on a daily basis i just do the basics - washing face, brushing teeth, deodorant, a bit of makeup, hairbrush

every once in awhile the mood hits to take a long bath and put on a bunch of smelly lotion & stuff, but its not really the kind of thing i go crazy about.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't used deodorant for many years. It feels like all the chemicals goes right into my body through the skin in the armpits.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah I don't use deodorant either, people are always surprised to hear that cause I never smell

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    yeah I don't use deodorant either, people are always surprised to hear that cause I never smell
    I don't think I smell either. If I smell I shower. But sweat in itself doesn't smell that much, right? Only if left on the skin for days so bacteria start to grow. I think showering is the best deodorant.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll put on fresh clothes and try to remember deodorant if i'm going to be around friends/going out to do something besides just walk around by myself , but generally i just don't think about this stuff (i do bathe everyday but that's more of just a water=awake thing). i'll cut back my beard maybe once a month and get a haircut maybe every 9 months or so when it's way past time.

i combed my hair like 10 years ago for my dads funeral, that was seriously the last time that i brushed or combed it besides running my fingers through it occasionally. lol.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrows View Post
    I expect a lot more from an SEI. Grooming is practically your bread and butter (at the least the SEIs I know)!
    I associate grooming more with creative Si. Base Si is accepting and strong. Everything is Si then. Even sweat. It just makes the world more complete

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I spend about 3/4 hour/day on grooming. Every day, I take about thirty minutes to shower, shave, brush teeth, trim fingernails, polish shoes, get dressed in AM after exercise, then five minutes to brush teeth several times a day. Maybe another shower if I've been working outside and am going out in the evening.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around half an hour I think, maybe a bit more, I have to be around customers a lot so it's important. Ugh.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I shower mostly everyday.... don't use deodorant really unless I have to work with people for awhile.

I don't take care of my hair at all though, though I sometimes play with it after I get out of the shower until it feels right, but no combing or anything.

HM...I also love to take bathes maybe once every two weeks with scented oils, they always make me feel good.~

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I shower whenever I can remember, but I've pretty much abandoned conditioner entirely. I haven't brushed my hair in roughly a year, and I have a bad habit of forgetting to brush my teeth because it's boring. sometimes I apply nivea to my face, which I borrowed from the females in my family, and funnily enough, I didn't have problems with acne until I tried face-wash routines at 14/15, that stuff should not be applied to faces. the most I do nowadays is wash my face if I notice a bump forming, I avoid touching it, and it's usually gone by the following day, but that's probably more related to genetics.

never used deodorant and I probably never will, but cotton candy body spray is my shit and I don't know why

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

if i go 12 hours w/o brushing my hair it becomes a nest. i don't understand...you guys must have some silky smooth tresses

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    I shower whenever I can remember, but I've pretty much abandoned conditioner entirely. I haven't brushed my hair in roughly a year, and I have a bad habit of forgetting to brush my teeth because it's boring. sometimes I apply nivea to my face, which I borrowed from the females in my family, and funnily enough, I didn't have problems with acne until I tried face-wash routines at 14/15, that stuff should not be applied to faces. the most I do nowadays is wash my face if I notice a bump forming, I avoid touching it, and it's usually gone by the following day, but that's probably more related to genetics.

never used deodorant and I probably never will, but cotton candy body spray is my shit and I don't know why

exactly! >_>

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I expect a lot more from an SEI. Grooming is practically your bread and butter (at the least the SEIs I know)!
    The SEI males I've met are not concerned by grooming habits or hygiene at all. Just the girls.

I've had irl awful experiences about that, btw. lol

Anyway, I agree with @Tallmo, deep concerns about hygiene are more Si creative (both of my parents are Si creative, the J at the end of the types is not unrelated).
    Last edited by Hope; 11-06-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    if i go 12 hours w/o brushing my hair it becomes a nest. i don't understand...you guys must have some silky smooth tresses
    nest.jpg

nest krew reporting in

nests can be good

I feel like embracing the nest gives it body. I kind of like that crazy look

its really interesting all the good looking people coming out as "unhygenic"

I bet theres some explanation for the people that can pull it off and the people that really are smelly. because there's people out there that, just by words, the groups would be indistinguishable, yet there's all those gross people then there's all the beautiful people who make it look easy. then there's like the hyper hygenic makeup type crew that always looks immaculate, but its sort of artifical looking. theyre the kind of people that seem like theyre kind of gross without their face on or their cologne. I like the people the best that like know how to pull off having gone without supplies or a shower for a while but still come across as clean and upkept. its hard for me to put words to but there's definitely a whole world to this with lots of ins and outs
    Last edited by Bertrand; 11-06-2017 at 09:40 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I need 1 hour in the morning, 1.5 h if I also wash my hair, which is every second day. That's showering, teeth, face, basic hair, deodorant, dressing, make up all together. On days when I also do my nails, shave and/or apply self tanner, it can easily go to 2 hours or more. In the evening I only need 15 min or so.

I don't really find it relaxing at all (apart from doing make-up, which is interesting in a creative, transformative way), but it's necessary imo. I particularly don't like taking shower cause I'm not a fan of water, so I'm very quick at that (I've perfected my routine). The thought of taking a bath is a terrible boring waste, so I never do it cause it's not necessary - it doesn't feel pleasant at all, especially when your fingertips shrivel up I also apply all sorts of body lotions, but not because it's pleasant (I actually hate being naked apart from sex, cold and putting cold things on my body lol), it's only to have nice looking skin and to smell good. So I really don't see any grooming as "pampering", but completely as a means to an end. I really don't understand women that see going to get nails done, get a facial, hairdresser, a massage or visiting a spa as an enjoyable experience. That's basically torture and extremely boring to me, so I try doing it almost all by myself (apart from hairdresser), so it can be done quickly as possible with and no stranger is touching me in an awkward way : )

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shower at least once, sometimes twice, a day. But when I get up I feel like a zombie, so I shower with only a dim light on and sometimes I shave. I hate shaving but I don't really rock the stubble look too well, so it becomes necessary after a day or so tops.

I like to look nice but I hate the effort that goes into it. Jerry Seinfeld was right when he said that if the human body was a car, you would not buy it. All the trimming, and clipping, and tweezing and shaving and washing... ugh. Such a pain in the ass and a complete waste of time. If I had the time I spent on those things back, I could do so many more productive things.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@lump

I'm not exactly sure.

there was a period where I hadn't gotten a haircut in ages and my hair nested at the back which I think was probably because I had split ends out the ass, sometimes it still does that if I haven't gotten a haircut in a while, but in general I usually cut off a few inches if it happens consecutively, and I keep it in a light ponytail most other times. I think it might be related to texture but I don't know, I figured my body just became accustomed to my poor hygiene habits. my brother's hair has slightly higher nest potential than the rest of us and he shares more physical similarities with our mom's side, but I share more physical similarities with our dad's side and our hygiene routine is generally lower maintenance. hard to explain but essentially my dad's side was/is poor and even my cousins overseas pay less attention to stuff like that, partially because they don't have the means, and partially because I think our bodies sort of naturally adjust to our hygiene. I know my friend needs to wash her hands several times a day because it's a compulsion now and it's made her hands dry, which means she has to wash them even more, and so on and so forth, but it's not so easy to ignore compulsion in her case.

all I know is that I've never done more than the bare minimum due to my own laziness and if I do more than that then it's usually because something is especially wrong and I need to balance it out again. there was a time when my legs were freakishly dry and I applied lotion post-shower until it went back to normal, or I'm dating someone and for some reason I pay more attention to my hygiene when that happens, which some might find pathetic

hygiene is one of the most personalized things out there, someone can have the smoothest hair of all time and it could still result in nests

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hygiene and grooming do not always go hand in hand. Somebody could be very well groomed and have poor hygiene (i.e. have rotten breath), and someone else could have no grooming and be very hygienic.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

true but at least in my mind I'm not particularly concerned with hygeine or grooming per se, the mystery is in how do some people get away with less and come out presenting better

it feels like regardless of how much time you spend in the bathroom theres like micro instances of hygeine or lackthereof which accumulate and can create large dispararities over time between people, you might call them personal habits that have nothing obvious to do with self care, but which make people come across as more hygenic or otherwise aesthetic with no obvious root cause

there are a lot of really "attractive" in the "in pictures" kind of way people that nevertheless have something off about them in person, usually stuff like bad breath or other offputting subtleties.. you'd think if they could create such a pretty picture that would translate to in person, but I've noticed there's almost an opposing relationship between the two. perhaps some of it is just genetics

then there's people hideous in pictures and in person, which is also mind blowing for other reasons

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

same, although I'd still recommend against smelling my breath today

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ok. I can resume my stuff in this:

1) I do like brushing my teeth.
    2) My hair looks messy even if I brush it.
    3) I care for not to stink when I know I'll be next to someone.

Years ago I used to be extremely well groomed, I'm much more practical now.

Edit.
    4) I like my skin looking smooth and love using perfume.
    Last edited by Hope; 11-07-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like brushing my teeth because it feels good

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    Mine is so straight and smooth you almost can't mess it up unless it's super windy out. Even then I can just detangle it with my fingers. You give up some volume though when it's as straight as mine is - yours is nice and full.

I wear mine in a ponytail pretty often so it stays out of my way, and doesn't just hang there.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't consider diet and exercise as part of grooming, some people do it for other reasons (feel stronger etc.).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How com deodorant is considered part of hygiene?

As you might imagine, deodorant is a fairly modern invention. The first deodorant patent, for a product called Mum, was issued in 1888, and it soon took its place in the bathroom as an essential personal hygiene product. Most deodorants today use some type of aluminum compound, such as anhydrous aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly. This ingredient closes the pores in your underarm skin, preventing sweat from escaping. Some aluminum-zirconium compounds also absorb any sweat that you do release.
    enlighten me
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, getting a massage isn't "technically" grooming but it feels great and helps with circulation, mobility and you just feel better so its in the overall "Si stuff that is good for you".
    Oh Yes

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post

enlighten me
    Profit. It shapes the way we think about health irrationally.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eating right/exercizing seems to be the most important part of hygiene. Shower regularly, but don't go overboard on the soaps. Of course i don't follow this enough but im trying. otherwise you end up being too detergent-y and overly powdered which makes you lose all sex appeal. like the gay couple on modern family. its a little hard to explain but the 'right kind of dirtiness' is so hot you know?

i have to use deodorant though cuz my glands are stronk and i like eating taco bell too much haha.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much to be honest. I definitely don't put as much time into as other women seem to do. There's only one cream that I use both on my face and body and I literally have to force myself to use it. Sometimes my skin gets really dry just because I'm too lazy to use a cream and I actually don't see much point in using it anyway if my face or body ain't really dry. I also don't like taking a bath or a shower, obviously I need to do it, but I always need to force myself into to and I always end up putting it off until late in the night and sometimes even skip it, because I feel too tired.

But I have a thing for my hair... I think I still don't pay as much attention to it as others, but I do care very much how my hair looks. I buy special products, shampoos, oils etc...

Even though I really hardly care about "grooming", I couldn't stand appearing in public being dirty, or smelly, or whatever. So I care very much about stuff that people can actually see and smell like clothes and make-up, but grooming myself..nope...not at all actually.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I haven't used deodorant for many years. It feels like all the chemicals goes right into my body through the skin in the armpits.
    Yuck, not even at work around other people? I work in trades and usually outdoors and my stink isnt always pleasent I would hate to be 'that guy' who cant swipe some pit stick on. Ofc the chemicals get absorbed, but they are somewhat safe for people otherwise the whole world would not use them. .. I just dont use them before bed.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enlighten me
    So people can't smell your stink which can be offensive and make them judge you accordingly.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well groomed =\= does not mean healthy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This seems as women kind of entertainment. Most of this activity I'd compare with senseless "shopping" when people buy for pleasure, but not for the use.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend enough time to shower, brush teeth, and style hair. Every few days I clip my face and parts of my hair like side burns. In the summer I clip all my hair as well. I use deoderant when I deem its needed for the day. I spend some time picking out clothes and generally speaking they are usually clean, which I also do daily or every other day. I have a vain streak and also like to look just as good as every one else around me. I keep my fingers clipped and toes. I will buy medicated creams for my skin for blemishes. I also trim my eye brows because I got the thick bushy uni-brow genes. When I am going to a function or partying I will groom more. Sometimes I've spent several hours grooming and sometimes only a minute or two. Beyond the basics grooming is done for the future situation I know I will find myself in and I like to look right and make an impression of being groomed. However, there are times when I don't care how groomed I look and will cultivate a more grubby working look. Grooming is healthy to me. I brush for healthy gums and white teeth. I trim my noise hairs so I can breath better. I clip my toes so I dont potentially get fungus. I wash my hands and face for dirt and germs. I wash my dick and butt and behind my ears because I don't like being grubby. I am familiar with Si and its worldy activities.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    So people can't smell your stink which can be offensive and make them judge you accordingly.
    It won't keep up your health – quite contrary in some rare cases.

The science of health, its promotion and preservation. Those conditions and practices that promote and preserve health. The property of having an expansion that is guaranteed not to cause the accidental capture of identifiers.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't keep up your health – quite contrary in some rare cases.
    Shoes are not healthy for your feet either and yet we wear them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast