Richard Lewis - EII
    Funkhouser - SEI

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only saw a couple episodes, so I don't know about the others, but Larry's character was LIE. Cheryl and Leon are Fi-valuing; Leon maybe ESI. The humor seems stereotypically Gamma.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely a gamma show, Larry is definitely not ILE.

Just to note that I could only watch a couple of episodes because it was sooo boring.

For a good and fun gamma TV series -> Peep Show.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m surprised by the gamma typings. I’ve always thought that Larry David was the epitome of Fi polr.

I think Richard Lewis is gamma NT (probably ILI).

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Larry David seems to me somewhat more likely to be ILE than ILI, but I think he makes fun out of both and social norms. The Seinfeld series is basically an extension of that, but I think that's even more .

The HBO cable television channel aired David's one-hour special, Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm, on October 17, 1999.[32] This was followed by Curb Your Enthusiasm, a television series on HBO that aired its first episode on October 15, 2000.[33] The show revisits many of the themes of Seinfeld,[34] and is improvised from a story outline only several pages long that David writes (as of the 5th season, additional writers were hired).[35]

The actors improvise their dialogue based on the story outline, direction, and their creativity. David has said that his character in the show, a fictionalized version of himself, is what he would be like in real life if he lacked social awareness and sensitivity.[36] The character's numerous and frequent social faux pas, misunderstandings, and ironic coincidences are the basis of much of the show's comedy and have led to the entry into the American pop culture lexicon of the expression "Larry David moment", meaning an inadvertently created socially awkward situation.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, I think LIE should be considered.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I’m surprised by the gamma typings. I’ve always thought that Larry David was the epitome of Fi polr
    He's a comedian, and his humor is being intentionally "unintentionally" offensive; it works specifically because he does understand quite well why what he jokes about/acts can be misconstrued. I don't think the PoLR is strong enough to be leveraged in that way.

Carlin was an SLE, and he also had a persona of being an "asshole," but the "asshole" was in his harsh delivery, which came more or less naturally to him. There was no real subtlety to this, no matter what you think of the rest of his comedy.

Also, quasi-identicals often look similar -- they tend to act in similar ways, and maybe get similar results, even if the motivation or process behind it is pretty different. LIEs have a reputation for being "assholes" like ILEs, even if it's not a sore point for them. 1D Fi + role Fe which drops as soon as there's no Te use for it anymore, then their unbalanced Se on account of it being the HA. David's role Fe at least is pretty obvious I think; a "mask" he can seem to have briefly, but it's clear it isn't something he enjoys or values.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really found the show funny. It almost makes me sad watching it actually. Is life really this banal? How can I find humour in a man who behaves so ineffectual?

The sad part is I think the show was kind of prophetic. Look how micro-managed society has become. Its crazy making. Was it always this way?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I’m surprised by the gamma typings. I’ve always thought that Larry David was the epitome of Fi polr.

I think Richard Lewis is gamma NT (probably ILI).
    Larry David is new to me, but now I have been watching Curb your Enthusiasm a lot and I like the humor. It's really a great show. American humor at its best.

First I thought like you that he could be Ne base, but now I think it's clear that he is LIE. When you really pay attention to him, it's all Te. And ILEs are not that confrontational like Larry is. Larry also seems very rational.

His friend Jeff could be ESI.

I don't know about Fi polr. ILEs are often nice because they value Fe.

Larry could be compared to Sacha Baron Cohen, whom I also type LIE.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's funny !