View Poll Results: what type was Robert Anton Wilson?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

3 100.00%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Robert Anton Wilson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Robert Anton Wilson

Any ideas on his type? If you're not familiar with his writing, you can read samples at http://www.rawilson.com/thoughts.html

RAW quotes:

"There are periods of history when the visions of madmen and dope fiends are a better guide to reality than the common-sense interpretation of data available to the so-called normal mind. This is one such period, if you haven't noticed already."

"Most of our ancestors were not perfect ladies and gentlemen. The majority of them weren't even mammals."

"It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea."

"There is no governor anywhere; you are all absolutely free. There is no restraint that cannot be escaped. We are all absolutely free. If everybody could go into dhyana at will, nobody could be controlled — by fear of prison, by fear of whips or electroshock, by fear of death, even. All existing society is based on keeping those fears alive, to control the masses. Ten people who know would be more dangerous than a million armed anarchists."

"The basic technique of all my books. Ontology is the study of being; the guerrilla approach is to so mix the elements of each book that the reader must decide on each page 'How much of this is real and how much is a put-on?'" - on Guerrilla ontology

"A true initiation never ends."

"Following Korzybski, I put things in probabilities, not absolutes... My only originality lies in applying this zetetic attitude outside the hardest of the hard sciences, physics, to softer sciences and then to non-sciences like politics, ideology, jury verdicts and, of course, conspiracy theory."'

"All phenomena are real in some sense, unreal in some sense, meaningless in some sense, real and meaningless in some sense, unreal and meaningless in some sense, and real and unreal and meaningless in some sense."

""Is," "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment."

"Comparative religion and philosophy show that the Thinker can regard itself as mortal, as immortal, as both mortal and immortal (the reincarnation model) or even as non-existent (Buddhism). It can think itself into living in a Christian universe, a Marxist universe, a scientific-relativistic universe, or a Nazi universe — among many possibilities."

""Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can’t see your own back (without mirrors)."

"I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions."

"Conspiracy is just another name for coalition."

"Everybody who has ever worked for a corporation knows that corporations conspire all the time. Politicians conspire all the time, pot-dealers conspire not to get caught by the narcs, the world is full of conspiracies. Conspiracy is natural primate behavior."

"Every war results from the struggle for markets and spheres of influence, and every war is sold to the public by professional liars and totally sincere religious maniacs, as a Holy Crusade to save God and Goodness from Satan and Evil."

"The creative faculty, the god-power, is not used here with anything less than literalness. When beauty was created by a godly mind, beauty existed, as surely as the paintings of Botticelli or the concerti of Vivaldi exist. When mercy was created, mercy existed. When guilt was created, guilt existed. Out of a meaningless and pointless existence, we have made meaning and purpose; but since this creative act happens only when we relax after great strain, we feel it as 'pouring into us' from elsewhere. Thus, we do not know our own godhood and we are perpetually swindled by those who assure us that it is indeed elsewhere, but they can give us access to it, for a reasonable fee. And when we as a species were ignorant enough to be duped in that way, the swindlers went one step further, invented original sin and other horrors of that sort, and made us even more 'dependent' upon them."
    Last edited by silke; 10-14-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: updated links

He looks like an ENTP even though I'm hardly an expert on VI, but I notice ENTPs seem to have a particularly large space between their eyes and a wide but oval face.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has too few responses for such a fascinating and exasperating thinker. What is the consensus on his type? ILE?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Some irrational, but I'm not sure ILE.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

he looks sle to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mainly Ni, Ti, & Te, with a little Fe, Fi & Se.
    This guy really knows his shit too... I've been reading his website. I'm gona buy some of these books.
    Last edited by rat1; 12-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i havent read any of his stuff but i see his quotes here and there and to me they are romantic/intriguing and interesting to reflect on but miss the mark when it comes to getting at the truth which is pretty typical of my impression of a lot of beta philosophizing.

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read most of his books, articles, watched his documentary. He's interesting in quite a few ways and some of his fiction is pretty awesome. He's the single biggest influence on me since the age of 23 when I first heard of him. (not the weird mystical stuff btw). He has one particular book that may be of interest to some of you: Prometheus Rising. It's non-fiction and also the only non-fiction book of his I'd highly recommend. It's an easy book to read and took me about about two days to finish. I no longer have my copy but whoever has it now is bitching about the previous owner's liberal use of highlighters and margin-note-taking.

It's best not to judge him as a nutcase or irrational or a conspiracy theorist or mystic, since his non-fiction writing tends to read like a lightly edited stream of consciousness session. He's usually attempting to draw from a great many disciplines and individual thinkers and creating a coherent interdisciplinary big picture so he's obligated to generalize quite a bit - a necessary evil when creating amalgamations meant for lil' paperback books.

“Every fact of science was once damned. Every invention was considered impossible. Every discovery was a nervous shock to some orthodoxy. Every artistic innovation was denounced as fraud and folly. The entire web of culture and ‘progress,’ everything on earth that is man-made and not given to us by nature, is the concrete manifestation of some man’s refusal to bow to Authority. We would own no more, know no more, and be no more than the first apelike hominids if it were not for the rebellious, the recalcitrant, and the intransigent. As Oscar Wilde truly said, ‘Disobedience was man’s Original Virtue.”

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert Anton Wilson is ENFj-Ni.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Robert Anton Wilson

Robert Anton Wilson (born Robert Edward Wilson; January 18, 1932 – January 11, 2007) was an American author, novelist, essayist, editor, playwright, poet, futurist, and self-described agnosticmystic. Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and saint of Discordianism, Wilson helped publicize the group[which?] through his writings and interviews.
    Wilson described his work as an "attempt to break down conditioned associations, to look at the world in a new way, with many models recognized as models or maps, and no one model elevated to the truth".[1] His goal being "to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone but agnosticism about everything."[2]
    Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Anton_Wilson

Pics:

Video:

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I read his book Prometheus Rising, I liked it a lot, very profound book. I've heard him typed as IEE before so maybe he is Ne-IEE? He could be another type though like ILE. He strikes me as someone who has strong and values it.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RA Wilson is the same type as Peter Lamborn Wilson aka Hakim Bey: EIE-Ni. Enneagram type for RA Wilson: 6w5

Edit: he's big on conspiracies and conspiracy theory logic, which is fairly Ti.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

S, P

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    S, P
    Were you thinking about SEE? He kinda has that Se frog eye look lol. His perspective could fit well with the agnostic ILI.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Were you thinking about SEE?
    The first and main impression is SLI. I got doubts as noticed SEE related impressions too. So have stayed on S-P still.

> He kinda has that Se frog eye look lol

it should be not types related

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The first and main impression is SLI. I got doubts as noticed SEE related impressions too. So have stayed on S-P still.

> He kinda has that Se frog eye look lol

it should be not types related
    "Should"

And I can't see SLI. LOL. Not at all. He has a very Ni perspectival relativism that seems characteristic of how Ni manifests in a democratic quadra; that is, Ni without a unitary vision like one might find in Beta.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

And I can't see SLI.
    he looks slow sometimes. so restrained nonverbal I noticed at SLI

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

he looks slow sometimes. so restrained nonverbal I noticed at SLI
    That seems like a sketchy association.... He could be high on cannabis for all you know.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RA Wilson is the same type as Peter Lamborn Wilson aka Hakim Bey: EIE-Ni. Enneagram type for RA Wilson: 6w5

Come on, Aramas, just because both of them are called Wilson.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think he VI's as an SLE. Furthermore, he talks about what he sees as being "reality". I think @Viktor has expressed similar thoughts. What type is better to relate to Se while also seeing some Ni? Enough Ni to disregard its many interpretations of reality in favor of a non-biased, non-interpretive, Se approach to it?

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I think he VI's as an SLE. Furthermore, he talks about what he sees as being "reality". I think @Viktor has expressed similar thoughts. What type is better to relate to Se while also seeing some Ni? Enough Ni to disregard its many interpretations of reality in favor of a non-biased, non-interpretive, Se approach to it?
    I relate pretty well to Se while also seeing some Ni
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    I relate pretty well to Se while also seeing some Ni
    So do I.

In all fairness, I didn't watch more than a few seconds of the video and didn't research his life, so my quick assessment might have been a Ready Fire Aim.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Come on, Aramas, just because both of them are called Wilson.
    That's not the reason? Lol. I think we can agree on NiSe quadra at least.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not the reason? Lol. I think we can agree on NiSe quadra at least.
    (I was joking)

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you not see reality?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Do you not see reality?
    Sometimes, no. I tend to see everything with a kind of a misty overlay on it. That overlay is basically all the things that that object could be, or could be used for, or what the object relates to.

I've noticed this difference between me and SLE's. We can both look at a room, but I get an imperfect impression of it and the things in it. The exact items are not that important to me, nor are their exact positions, because future use will change them. The SLE sees every item in the room, exactly as they are and without any bullshit interpretation. The SLE also sees where everything in the room is located.
    SLE's are really masters of space and reality.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you not see reality?
    What I get from RAW is his aim to help others (and himself) overcome human perceptual biases and the entities that try to manipulate those biases, in order to grapple with and accept concrete reality because that is in itself the only spiritual path worth walking.

I think he is an NF who takes Ni and Fe for granted, but does not take Se and Ti for granted. His mission to achieve and foster clarity and concreteness has to do with what balances his own cognition.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes, no. I tend to see everything with a kind of a misty overlay on it. That overlay is basically all the things that that object could be, or could be used for, or what the object relates to.

I've noticed this difference between me and SLE's. We can both look at a room, but I get an imperfect impression of it and the things in it. The exact items are not that important to me, nor are their exact positions, because future use will change them. The SLE sees every item in the room, exactly as they are and without any bullshit interpretation. The SLE also sees where everything in the room is located.
    SLE's are really masters of space and reality.
    Seems like you're confused

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Seems like you're confused
    Well, I can't argue with that.

Basically, it's a result of having imperfect Se and stronger Ni. The reality of things fades and the potential of them increases. If you carry this forward, you end up with IEI's who can't be trusted to return from the store with the stuff written on a shopping list but can write a great ghost story, and ILI's who hate to actually do stuff, but are great at imagining complex financial transactions.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I can buy this as an alternative. He's intuitive af though, I have no clue how people are seeing him as a sensor. He branches off into theoretical fairty tale land quite often in a way only intuitives do. Not that sensors cannot, but more that they would have little to no interest in doing so.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My personal impression of Robert AW is EIE-Ni.

Btw, I don't remember making this a poll.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read Prometheus Rising some years ago and remember thinking EIE made the most sense. I don't remember specifics, but he tended to establish halfway solid conceptual premises, and would then just delve into theoretical underpinnings that contextualized them without ever defining a single reference point. It actually reminds me of Zizek, just with more psychedelics and less philosophical knowledge. Additionally, there was also a certain rhetorical element to the writing—not so much in the sense that he was literally trying to convince the reader of anything, but more so that he felt strongly about the social implications of his ideas, and wasn't afraid to give them corresponding emphasis. This is hallmark EIE behavior. And I do think VI checks out as well.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the strong Ne associating that strrrng is calling Ni creative is better situated as INTj.

That is how I type him: INTj, strong logical subtype. He vibes like the Architect from the matrix and I wouldn't be surprised if the film makers purposely cast this character basing of real life Wilson.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vid of a LII free associating.

I really enjoy his analyzing of things. He makes a good analyst. All of his analysis is pertinent even today. That's because he is the analyst archtype. Doesn't matter the content in this case, doesn't matter if he is discussing human interest, ethical considerations, its the process of analysis itself that puts him over in INTj.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's LII Ne, even if strong Ne-subtype. The way he conveys his ideas over the course of the video has both more internal continuity and less structural cohesion than what you would get from an LII. The "tangents" he goes on aren't static points of reference; they don't deconstruct the context of the discussion and give way for laissez-faire alpha speculative indulgence. For example, in Freud's diaries of conversations he had with people about their dreams, he would do somewhat the inverse of what Wilson does: the person would start talking about some aspect of the dream, then Freud would branch off into several disparate possibilities and try to systematize it based on that; Wilson does use Ne very well, but he's trying to bring the person into a frame of perception by being just divergent enough to allow for sufficient investigation, and always ties it back to an overarching theme (not as much as an IEI would, but that's the point).
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sle.. we look a lot like