Thread: Black Mirror

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Black Mirror

So I finished watching all 3 seasons lately and I have to admit, that this is one of my favorite TV shows. It is described as a modern twilight zone kind of show. Each episode has different actors, character and story in an alternate reality and it is long enough to be considered a short movie in a sense. The television show envisions a dystopian alternate reality with improved technology and the social consequences that could arise from it.

I am really into this kind of show being a six as I tend to worry that our future could be dystopian or totalitarian in some form whether via technology or culture. So, I created this thread for discussion about any episode in particular if they have watched the show and their thoughts on it with spoiler tags added of course to those that haven't seen the show and plan to see it.

Feel free to type any characters from any episode if you'd like as well, but that might be a bit difficult as you only have one episode to go by.

Here is the trailer for the third season if you haven't seen the show yet:

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I liked it too once I got past the pig thing. That was very disturbing to me. None of the others were quite as disturbing. Maybe that one desensitized me a bit to the ones that followed.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I liked it too once I got past the pig thing. That was very disturbing to me. None of the others were quite as disturbing. Maybe that one desensitized me a bit to the ones that followed.
    Yeah, the first episode of the first season is the worst episode IMO and I would not recommend it for the faint hearted. However, the second episode of the first season was amazing, I consider it the true pilot of the show IMO.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sometimes life is stranger than fiction.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Non-Britons probably don't realise that our former Prime Minister was lambasted for apparently putting his balls in a dead pigs mouth at university.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

My favorite episode is the christmas one, but I can't really watch it anymore because the last scene gives me flashbacks to bad experiences. I think all the episodes so far are really clever and interesting.
    I don't think the first episode is the worst - I think it might be the most boring one because it takes along time before shit hits the fan and it has so much dialogue. I was not disturbed by it heh I'm more disturbed by the mental fuckage that's in some other episodes.
    My so/sx 6 sister introduced me the show

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I can't remember the first episode being bad, just that it is something of a car crash in terms of content.

(I haven't seen the third series yet).

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the show doesn't really hook me, but I like it. I loved the san junipero episode a lot.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    My favorite episode is the christmas one, but I can't really watch it anymore because the last scene gives me flashbacks to bad experiences. I think all the episodes so far are really clever and interesting.
    I don't think the first episode is the worst - I think it might be the most boring one because it takes along time before shit hits the fan and it has so much dialogue. I was not disturbed by it heh I'm more disturbed by the mental fuckage that's in some other episodes.
    My so/sx 6 sister introduced me the show
    Yeah, that was a good episode. It had such an intense ending. Well, I don't think the first episode was bad personally. Just that it was the worst out of all then, but I guess one could argue that there is a worse one. To be the worst episode when every episode is good or excellent is not a bad spot to be in at all.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I thought the one where they live double lives in a fake world was super disturbing.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I thought the one where they live double lives in a fake world was super disturbing.
    i haven't seen enough episodes to know, but it sounds like you could be talking about san junipero - the lesbians in "heaven?" I found it really touching. I teared up at the end. but maybe there's another one like that.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i haven't seen enough episodes to know, but it sounds like you could be talking about san junipero - the lesbians in "heaven?" I found it really touching. I teared up at the end. but maybe there's another one like that.
    Something about that one seemed really fucked up to me. I can't quite place it but it's got something to do with how light-hearted the inhabitants were about not being themselves.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Something about that one seemed really fucked up to me. I can't quite place it but it's got something to do with how light-hearted the inhabitants were about not being themselves.
    I thought they were just in their younger bodies with the same minds. maybe kind of infused with the energy and spirit they had at the age they were in those bodies, but otherwise the same. It was seamless to me but I can see how there's something jarring about the radical transition.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

That's funny because I found that episode to be light compared to the other ones. However, it still had an element of nihilism to it that made it somewhat dark. It was a good episode overall though nonetheless.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've been binging it the last couple of days, about to start season 4.

loved the first two seasons, the first pigfucker episode really grabbed me lol and all the rest of both of those seasons were really good imo, but i thought the 3rd season lost a lot of the nihilistic technological hell tone that left me haunted after each episode and started feeling more derivative. the only ones from the third season that really grabbed me were the first one with the redhead nosediving her likes and the lesbians in "heaven" (both were sweet to me, not disturbing (and i got a little crush on the girl with glasses )), and the bees one was alright (although that felt more like a scifi CSI or something, but i still liked it in the end). the horror gamer episode was just eye-rolley for me (idk i really found that character annoying), and the roaches one was just whatever (maybe because i was expecting that story from hearing someone mention its plot twist in a chat sometime over the past year or two, but it still was just ehh to me). jack-off boy was watchable but not really anything special or new imo.

okay the spaceship one was genius and went from campy to creepy as fuck quick, lol. maybe the best episode of the whole series (full discosure the pot arrived right before i watched it ).
    Last edited by bgbg; 01-01-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

season 4 was pretty great all round

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From what I heard about it, it seemed right up my alley. I love powerful moments in television, and the show seems to have lots of those. A friend of mine said that the Black Mirror is a little bit 'boring', save for the powerful moments, and that only a few episodes are truly worth watching (White Bear, Shut up and dance, A white Christmas, Be right back, and the 'relieve your memories' one). Think I'll give it a try anyway.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last episode was not to bad..
    But the concept of eternal pain does not make sense. After a while when it becomes normal state, hours or days would that not be like normal and than it be like nothing.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    The last episode was not to bad.. But the concept of eternal pain does not make sense. After a while when it becomes normal state, hours or days would that not be like normal and than it be like nothing.
    I'm assuming this is a spoiler? Please add a spoiler tag if you plan to share spoilers, thanks.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I'm assuming this is a spoiler? Please add a spoiler tag if you plan to share spoilers, thanks.
    I dont think its a spoiler but I add the tag for you

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw "Hang The DJ" since it was the most interesting Season 4 concept to me.

The beginning was very intriguing; I thought it was going to go a "letting technology make all of your decisions for you" route with how the main two kept constantly checking their circular devices for tips, which feels apt in light of research on the topic of our brains adapting to being able to google everything, etc. However, it ended up instead just being all really... Hollywoodish, and not in a good way. The whole "the guy shouldn't look at the expiry date but haha he does!" was basically a Saturday morning cartoon plot to me. And then it turns out it was all a computer calculation? That numbed the stakes a lot since it's just about an app running statistics. The episode just turned those statistics into a story. I didn't get a sense that I was supposed to see it as a tragic death of 1000 computerized people or anything and otherwise it's meaningless. It's like writing a science fiction story about the life and times of meteorologist predictions.

Was pretty disappointed. I like Black Mirror most when it incorporates incisive science fiction into character pieces and intimate dramas and I was hoping for that here. Instead, the main duo was intensely generic with a generic plot to boot. The only "different" thing was the twist, but that twist felt hollow.

I would say that a lot of the comedy was pretty good.

For reference, I've seen 'Nosedive" (good), "San Junipero" (fantastic), "Fifteen Million Merits" (fantastic), and "Men Against Fire" (mediocre). I've also seen part of "The Entire History of You" and really liked what I saw.
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's a good show from a social perspective, because it helps people see that tech isn't all good. It was ok when I saw it with roommates, but it's not something I would choose to watch much on my own. It's just not my kind of thing.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    It's a good show from a social perspective, because it helps people see that tech isn't all good. It was ok when I saw it with roommates, but it's not something I would choose to watch much on my own. It's just not my kind of thing.
    Some episodes are better than others too. There were a few episodes that really gave me a good mindfuck and shocked me and there were others that kind of fell flat and most were in between.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Some episodes are better than others too. There were a few episodes that really gave me a good mindfuck and shocked me and there were others that kind of fell flat and most were in between.
    Sci-fi doesn't really shock me. Lol... I just think some of it is hard to bear because I can put myself in it in my head.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Basically, I am caught up to Season 4 and watched episode 1 from Season 5. I plan to watch the other two episodes soon. Season 4 was decent overall with some episodes better than others. Episode 1 of Season 5 was interesting to say the least, lol. It was far from the best Black Mirror episode, but not the worst one either.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5