Thread: Speaking English with accent

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Speaking English with accent

Why do american ppl care so much about accent?

Why do they feel the need to say: oh you have accent, where are you from?

Like who cares? Why is that even relevant? Why do ppl in the US think is ok and normal to ask strangers about that?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We're curious about the outside world?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    We're curious about the outside world?
    Don't You think thats kinda rude or uncomfortable for others?

When I hear ppl speaking My language with accent I never say: oh, You have accent where are you from? It's even rude to ask their nationality to random strangers/employees.

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Why do american ppl care so much about accent?

Why do they feel the need to say: oh you have accent, where are you from?

Like who cares? Why is that even relevant? Why do ppl in the US think is ok and normal to ask strangers about that?
    I think I can offer perspective on this as I am an American expat in Japan, and spend my workdays speaking Japanese.

I think most Americans are just genuinely very curious and interested in where in the world you came from because a huge number of us have never traveled internationally. I myself have never been to a country besides the US and Japan. Less than half of us even have a passport, compared to well over half of Canadians and over 3/4 of Brits according to Forbes. We also are very accustomed to Hollywood, in which most actors sound just like us, so we have this sense of our accent being "normal" and thus boring. We just had some new arrivals from the US and they met our regional representative last night who is British, and both of them said they had never even met a British person before then. I had only met one before coming here. The rest of the world feels like a very long way away to a lot of us, so naturally we are curious about it. Yes, there are xenophobes too who ask for malicious reasons, but that's certainly not the case for most people.

Even in Japanese I love to ask people what my accent sounds like to them. I try to get them to tell me what adjectives they'd use to describe it, and what region of Japan it sounds most similar to. I wish people would comment on my accent more, but they sadly don't, and don't seem to know what to say when I ask them.

Americans should definitely know better than to ask about someone's accent, as it is generally considered rude I think, and I'm not defending that. Just know that for most people it comes from a genuine place of curiosity about the world
    Last edited by AWellArmedCat; 11-13-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Said "to the US" but meant "from the US". Fixed it
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I hear ppl speaking My language with accent I never say: oh, You have accent where are you from? It's even rude to ask their nationality to random strangers/employees.
    They don't think it's rude. They're curious about you. And some of them see it as way of introducing yourself.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I hear an accent, I immediately want to know where they are from. I don’t ask usually because yes, I don’t want feel intrusive in any form. I kinda see it as rude too, however I am extremely curious. I love meeting people from all over the world and I want to know their story. Why here?

I think most people who ask are genuinely curious. Though I do think there are so assholes that do that too.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe a bit but a little bit of rudeness can be overcome by the upside of learning something new and potentially forming a connection with someone interesting.

Personally, I approach this gently because I understand it can be taken the wrong way, but once I get to know someone, learning little factoids like this about them is part of getting to know them.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe a bit but a little bit of rudeness can be overcome by the upside of learning something new and potentially forming a connection with someone interesting.

Personally, I approach this gently because I understand it can be taken the wrong way, but once I get to know someone, learning little factoids like this about them is part of getting to know them.
    As employee from an international company when in the middle of an interaction it sounds rude to most of us (because obviously we are just working not introducing ourselves), plus, we all had experiences with ppl being rude just because we are from the outside . While I speak with ppl with a lot of different accents Daily and I never think of remark: oh, You have accent (plus it's obvious they are aware of it).

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not American and I don't think it's rude at all. I think it's natural to be curious about that.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    school shooter one
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice German accent you got there. Which part of douche-land is that from? That’s how you guys really pronounce it, right?

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Literally never met a single human being who thought asking about their accent was rude. I think you're just insecure.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As employee from an international company when in the middle of an interaction it sounds rude to most of us (because obviously we are just working not introducing ourselves), plus, we all had experiences with ppl being rude just because we are from the outside . While I speak with ppl with a lot of different accents Daily and I never think of remark: oh, You have accent (plus it's obvious they are aware of it).
    I can see it being annoying in certain contexts, but as a general rule I think of it as ok. And I don't have much experience with people making fun of me for my accent, so I don't know what that feels like. Now my skin tone..that's another thing

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Technically everybody has an accent, right? The accent I like the best is 'hot all-american Chad white male' - I'm not really fond of most foreign/ethnic accents except maybe some Irish ones. I guess that's a bit racist or whatever but eh we all have our Fi preferences.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't mind when people ask me where I am from based on my accent. I always thought of it as people being curious.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Technically everybody has an accent, right? The accent I like the best is 'hot all-american Chad white male' - I'm not really fond of most foreign/ethnic accents except maybe some Irish ones. I guess that's a bit racist or whatever but eh we all have our Fi preferences.
    It's not racist to have a preference, but you do have shit taste

I'm sure it's not a surprise that I think Japanese and Korean accents are some of the hottest, but I really love accents in general. I've only ever dated one person who had a standard American accent lol

Now that I think about it more though, I honestly would prefer to speak the other person's language though rather than English. When I've dated Japanese people here they've all wanted to speak English with me, but I'd rather just speak Japanese tbh. I don't speak any other languages besides Japanese and English, but if I date someone who speaks another language I'll probably just start learning theirs
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can see it being annoying in certain contexts, but as a general rule I think of it as ok. And I don't have much experience with people making fun of me for my accent, so I don't know what that feels like. Now my skin tone..that's another thing
    I think it's probably similar, since there's a lot of discrimination in the US and that includes language.
    Last edited by Hope; 11-13-2021 at 04:19 PM.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mysteryofdungeon View Post
    Nice German accent you got there. Which part of douche-land is that from? That’s how you guys really pronounce it, right?
    Oh wow, another 'badass' kid whose only necrotic brain activity is limited to excrete random xenophobic jokes.
    Last edited by Hope; 11-14-2021 at 01:30 AM.