Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IQ Test (Raven's Progressive Matrices)

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limitless you've got alot of anxiety and thoughts on this matter, you just need to chill. I am not interested in turning this into some huge debate. I doubt I would dispute anything you can find evidence to support.
    Consider taking a GABA supplement, it is homeopathic and helps with anxiety. You have some racing thoughts, I bet your mind is scattered all the time.
    Maybe get away from the internet and let your mind relax.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat1776 View Post
    I doubt I would dispute anything you can find evidence to support.
    Consider taking a GABA supplement, it is homeopathic and helps with anxiety. You have some racing thoughts, I bet your mind is scattered all the time.
    Maybe get away from the internet and let your mind relax.
    Thanks for some of what you have said, and I agree to a small degree that I should perhaps get away from the internet. Sometimes people who believe in IQ also have specious views in other ways. I call that general intelligence, too, because it is sagacious and their sententious ways are above me. Sorry for the sarcasm. That said, I never need to let my mind relax brooooo, and maybe that is related to how I am asexual and therefore never going to be happy by finding a mate. I've lived my days. There is much, much more to say which I will be reticent about.

I swear that there is a paucity of meaningful research on IQ. I came across one scientific publication from 2016 or so which argued that all genetic correlations with IQ were based on false positives. I have not found convicing neuroimaging research, much like the neuroimaging research on aspergers is still inchoate and nascent in ways.
    For the paper I started today, I went through ebscohost and saved every paper relating IQ with various terms: DTI, white matter, polymorphisms, genetics, metabolites, dopamine, acid, regional blood flow, connenctionism, neural network, parallel distributed processing, blood, etc etc etc.... I'll be looking at all grey matter correlations, too. PET scan correlations perhaps, though the results for those are even more ambiguous and equivocal than the results for MRI/DTI/fMRI.

Given that your last words to me have been, generally, of course, prevaricating words, I will leave you, crazed rat, with the following:
    -KESHA, IQ = 140 (https://medium.com/dailyskew/factche...s-69a0fa003223)

Glutimate excitation kills neurons and is one of the two neurotoxic mechanisms which I am at risk for due to quinolic acid deficiency.
    Last edited by Limitless; 11-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that makes alot of sense - the glutamate excitation problem that you have, I can sense some serious overactivity and anxiety in your posts. I'll say next to nothing and there will be this wall of text...
    I do think getting off the internet would help you, the internet definitely stimulates your mind in ways associated with the problems of excess excitation which you are mentioning.
    But it's your life, do what you want with it.
    Do you know what is causing the quinolic acid deficiency?
    From what I'm reading GABA, although inhibitory, can be excitatory in the developing brain, so who knows whether it'd help you. But I'm pretty sure GABA can regulate the expression of glutamate.
    It's likely you have an imbalance in your digestive system that's contributing to a neurochemical imbalance, it's extremely common in aspergers-like individuals and common in Americans.
    Try eating alot of sugar free oatmeal and see if it helps you. ... it contains GABA and if you eat it consistently it actually will rebalance your digestive system and help you to produce more inhibitory neurotransmitters. Diets like that can actually help clear up many aspergers like symptoms.
    Anyway, have a nice day

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@Limitless I have not read the thread in awhile actually. Don't stress I didn't see the tirade but even if I did you are fine. I am not prone to holding tirades against most people.

It was just a weird coincidence that I posted a video of Langan yesterday. I went back now and saw that you did indeed mention him. lol Not sure how I missed the notification. I guess I was guided by synchronistic forces to post it here since I had missed your post where you mentioned him. It makes some kind of strange sense to me now. Anyway, I had noticed the thread was alive again and had just watched the video after it was posted elsewhere. I was looking for the right place to put it since I wasn't wanting to do a typing thread and "what you are watching" thread didn't feel relevant.

I just woke so I will read what I missed when I can.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
    Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply... i am so so so so busy applying to grad school.... Any recommendations for researchers I could work with?
    No worries. Sorry, I'm not in the USA so I can't really give you recommendations.

Here's an article which substantiates the legitimate finding that IQ is actually working memory: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/tracy...b_4168628.html
    That article is full of errors (reasoning/factual). Maybe it's to simplify things down but they oversimplified it for sure. It doesn't actually claim that working memory is IQ, btw.

To answer your question, the only reason I'm interested in psychology is because of neuroimaging. Lol! It sounds awful. Also, I love love love the ethics, metaphysics, and ontology implied by psycholoigcal research. That combo is basically what impells me to do psych.
    Why do you like neuroimaging, then?

Recommendations for researchers would be sooo good! I will be applying to these schools by Dec 1st:
    Good luck

- Soooo interested in research at UC Irvine, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Cornell, NYU, but apparently I'm too dumb LOL. Get this broo: 47% quantitative, whereas 93% verbal and analytical. HAHA, I a sucky sucky That's reallly why I insist people here realize IQ has been out-ed from the closet as secretly working memory. If I wanted, I could probably find some researchers doing research on that topic, but unless its neuroimaging, anything in psych is boooorrrriingg lol!
    Hm, NFs are probably not very "quantitative", heh. That doesn't mean they can't do research, tho', I think...

I finished my Msc thesis earlier this year on a neurocognitive psychology topic myself

WOW That is wonderful broo! Keep up the fantastical work girly! <3 That is truly a great update. I want all the deets. How did it happen, who was your MSc adviser, what brain areas do you love, did you use certain equipment, etc. etc. ... Can't wait to hear all about it!!! Wonderful wonderful!!!!

Heh, thanks. How it happened, umm, ask a more specific question than that. It involved study by EEG on spatial navigation. Uhm, brain areas involved were mostly frontal-striatal and parietal (this is very generally put now). I don't think names of the advisors (two) would say much to you, because I'm not in the USA, again. Oh and what brain areas I love, lol, that's a funny question. I guess I do personally find some of them more interesting than others lol, well, ok, the ones that serve functionality for spatial and especially mathematical cognition (dorsal visual stream and associated areas, some other parietal and frontal stuff, hippocampal and associated areas, etc) and reward cognition (striatal-associated areas, some more limbic stuff, frontal, etc) and consciousness especially in terms of executive functioning (anterior cingulate, frontal, etc), along with general principles for organization of brain functions (certain lower level/older brain structures are also interesting to me here beyond just cortical functions).
    Last edited by Myst; 11-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    One thing I wondered is when the patterns can fit more than one set of rules, how do they determine which one is the right one? It seems to me that if you find rules that apply it should be right whether or not it's the rule they were looking for. I've wondered the same thing with word-based analogy tests, because those can also depend on what rule you decide to apply to them, and sometimes there are several ways to look at a set.
    When my daughter was being generally evaluated including an iq test pre-2nd grade, when she would give a non-expected answer the psychiatrist would ask her why she answered that way. For example, "Is milk pink? Yes. Why yes? Strawberry milk is pink." and "Do trains run on roads? Yes. Why yes? Tracks go across roads sometimes." The psychiatrist said it was a good thing I was going to be homeschooling her, as she'd likely have problems in school with her lateral thinking.

When I underwent my own psychiatric evaluations (pre-motherhood), I would be having conversations with the psychiatrist while he was testing me, and then also when I had forgotten a word from a list of words I was supposed to recite back, I would spontaneously say it, or if I recognized an error I had made I'd later give the correct answer. So basically, the testing + the conversation + mentally reviewing my own answers afterwards while still continuing with the test.

Basically, just saying that when going through an evaluation with a good psychiatrist, they take into consideration reasonings and behaviors not typically expected. But when doing with someone of lesser studies/understandings, and/or on internet tests, they don't/can't really consider other factors going on.

Last I heard, though, there's some other 'tests' being given these days. For one example, when my daughter was much older and we went to the neurofeedback guy, he had us use a handheld machine that tested visual/spatial memory plus reaction time. That was an interesting one. Though the guy was a bit upset that I was carrying on a conversation while doing it..at least until it sped up to a more interesting speed for me. There really was only one right answer, but it didn't require reasoning to get there, just memory and speedy reactions.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Basically, just saying that when going through an evaluation with a good psychiatrist, they take into consideration reasonings and behaviors not typically expected. But when doing with someone of lesser studies/understandings, and/or on internet tests, they don't/can't really consider other factors going on.
    That makes perfect sense to me. There's so much you can't see when it's just a multiple choice answer.

Last I heard, though, there's some other 'tests' being given these days. For one example, when my daughter was much older and we went to the neurofeedback guy, he had us use a handheld machine that tested visual/spatial memory plus reaction time. That was an interesting one. Though the guy was a bit upset that I was carrying on a conversation while doing it..at least until it sped up to a more interesting speed for me. There really was only one right answer, but it didn't require reasoning to get there, just memory and speedy reactions.
    Oh, that does sound really interesting!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the OP, I don't particularly care for IQ tests and IQ discussions, but I like puzzles so checked it out. As I expected, I missed 4, with over 20 minutes left on the clock. I'm not a patient person, and 4 of those questions required a little more analyzing than I'm typically interested in doing when a clock is ticking away and I still have questions to answer. If given the choice I would have used the remaining time to look them over again, but we weren't given the option.

Back when I was in my early 20s, I underwent IQ testing with psychological evaluations. My score was over 145. Thus it was used against me when I was initially applying for disability. Yes, people who test high IQ and even higher than my own CAN be non-physically disabled. I get sick of people describing high IQ as if that automatically meant the person was high Conscientiousness and low Neuroticism. I'm the opposite: REALLY low on Conscientiousness, and REALLY high on Neuroticism. I always felt bad in school when my honors classmates were working their asses off to get their As, and I would only give the teacher just enough of what s/he wanted to get my A. I always felt like a fraud. These people earned their As!!! I was just working the system. In my mind, they were the smart and intelligent ones, while I was a fish out of water. A few teachers recognized that I wasn't engaged/interested in the work, and would try to encourage me to find something of interest that WOULD engage me. But anytime we did, my father would step in and fuck things up. So early on in life I learned that there was no sense in my even trying, just do enough to not get a beating.

I remember pre-Richard dating a guy who was a really good mechanic. He worked on all sorts of machines and was good at his job/hobby. I admired him. One time his teen boys convinced him to take an online iq test. He was sooo excited that he got 100 on it. He kept trying to get me to take it, but I didn't want to. He even got his boys to try to get me to take the test. He'd be telling me that it's ok if I scored lower than him. (I wonder if he thought my being on disability meant I was low iq??) I don't remember anymore what he said that finally triggered me into taking it..in front of them all, so I couldn't even hide my score from him. (Maybe he thought I'd lie and say high?) Anyways, when the score came up, his confidence and happiness just dropped...hard!! I kept trying to say that iq didn't matter, it was what one DID with what one had that does. I kept pointing out the smart things in life that he does, and the car problems he's fixed, and how valuable that is. And look..I was on disability, so it obviously meant little in the bigger scheme of things. Well, after he took me home he stopped taking my calls and wouldn't return messages.

So basically, iq is one of those things where damned if you do and damned if you don't. Supposedly I had it, but couldn't use it to help me function in our capitalistic society. And those who could function in it but didn't have the valued iq felt low. I'm glad to hear that things are moving away from iq.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Oh, that does sound really interesting!
    If I come across my notes from the neurofeedback days, I'll be able to find the name of the machine that was used. Googling isn't giving me good results, and I suck at googling.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    For the OP, I don't particularly care for IQ tests and IQ discussions, but I like puzzles so checked it out. As I expected, I missed 4, with over 20 minutes left on the clock. I'm not a patient person, and 4 of those questions required a little more analyzing than I'm typically interested in doing when a clock is ticking away and I still have questions to answer. If given the choice I would have used the remaining time to look them over again, but we weren't given the option.

Back when I was in my early 20s, I underwent IQ testing with psychological evaluations. My score was over 145. Thus it was used against me when I was initially applying for disability. Yes, people who test high IQ and even higher than my own CAN be non-physically disabled. I get sick of people describing high IQ as if that automatically meant the person was high Conscientiousness and low Neuroticism. I'm the opposite: REALLY low on Conscientiousness, and REALLY high on Neuroticism. I always felt bad in school when my honors classmates were working their asses off to get their As, and I would only give the teacher just enough of what s/he wanted to get my A. I always felt like a fraud. These people earned their As!!! I was just working the system. In my mind, they were the smart and intelligent ones, while I was a fish out of water. A few teachers recognized that I wasn't engaged/interested in the work, and would try to encourage me to find something of interest that WOULD engage me. But anytime we did, my father would step in and fuck things up. So early on in life I learned that there was no sense in my even trying, just do enough to not get a beating.

I remember pre-Richard dating a guy who was a really good mechanic. He worked on all sorts of machines and was good at his job/hobby. I admired him. One time his teen boys convinced him to take an online iq test. He was sooo excited that he got 100 on it. He kept trying to get me to take it, but I didn't want to. He even got his boys to try to get me to take the test. He'd be telling me that it's ok if I scored lower than him. (I wonder if he thought my being on disability meant I was low iq??) I don't remember anymore what he said that finally triggered me into taking it..in front of them all, so I couldn't even hide my score from him. (Maybe he thought I'd lie and say high?) Anyways, when the score came up, his confidence and happiness just dropped...hard!! I kept trying to say that iq didn't matter, it was what one DID with what one had that does. I kept pointing out the smart things in life that he does, and the car problems he's fixed, and how valuable that is. And look..I was on disability, so it obviously meant little in the bigger scheme of things. Well, after he took me home he stopped taking my calls and wouldn't return messages.

So basically, iq is one of those things where damned if you do and damned if you don't. Supposedly I had it, but couldn't use it to help me function in our capitalistic society. And those who could function in it but didn't have the valued iq felt low. I'm glad to hear that things are moving away from iq.
    Wow, that's ridiculous that he reacted that way. Online IQ tests are known to boost your score to make you feel better about yourself hence why I never take them seriously because it is easy to score high on them. The only IQ test that truly mattered and was real was the one you took in your early twenties. It is very strange for someone to take a fake online IQ test so seriously and shun you because of that. Also, I think there are a couple studies out there that show high IQ is linked to low conscientiousness and if anything your example asserts this. However, thanks for sharing this, it helps put things in perspective.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting test with a higher ceiling for those of you who enjoy these:
    https://iqhaven.com/mytests1/cfiq-test/index.htm

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Correct answers: 52/60
    • Percentile: 75
    • Intellectual quotient: Higher than average
    • Group: II
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, wondering where the answers are to the Advanced Raven Matrices Test in Spanish?

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Test completed!

These are your results:

Correct answers: 60/60
    Percentile: 95
    Intellectual quotient: Very superior to the average
    Group: I
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct answers: 59/60
    Percentile: 95
    Intellectual quotient: Very superior to the average
    Group: I

34/36 on the other... wondering whether this or dk is a better predictor of fluid intelligence.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Correct answers: 60/60
    • Percentile: 95
    • Intellectual quotient: Very superior to the average
    • Group: I

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123